**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Old folk here. Like Chelsea and Syd I applied this past cycle 9 IIs 6 outright acceptances currently at the top of 2 waitlists (according to admissions) got some pretty decent scholarship money as well, but just chose a school a few days ago. I found this forum sooooo helpful and supportive and i know yall will continue the trend. Down to help with whatever y'all need and any of my FL people PM me so we can chat!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, some of you guys have really high stats! I have yet to take the MCAT but I'm hovering around 508 (my LizzyM would be about 63). You guys are making me feel inadequate, haha.

With a LizzyM of 63 is this school list good?-

All Florida Schools (x7)
All Alabama Schools (x2)
HBCUs (Meharry, Morehouse and Howard)
Tulane

I really seem to not know what I'm doing.
You're a FL resident I'm assuming? Let's talk!

Figure I should do this as well

Background: AA male currently in the middle of gap year doing research at medical school
LizzyM: 70
Major: Biological sciences- top 15 ivy
EC:
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): volunteering at one hospital for 2-3 years 300+ hours
  2. Research experience and productivity: Very research heavy. Research in undergrad + summer research during junior year and current gap year is research at medical school
  3. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 150 hours between 4 different specialties.
  4. Non-clinical volunteering: lots of tutoring and mentoring at middle schools and high schools
  5. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Physics TA for a year , held a couple positions in my social fraternity, a couple clubs during undergraduate, huge soccer fan (as you probably can tell from my picture) and I like running and lifting weights

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I'll get in on this too.

Background: Queer Latino w/ DACA. Graduated in 2016 and have been working as a Clinical Research Coordinator at a medical school since graduating.
GPA: 3.87 cGPA/ BCPM: 3.95
Major: Biochemistry and Latino Studies
MCAT: 499 (126/126/125/122), retaking 5/19
EC:
  1. Clinical experience: Currently working as a clinical research coordinator at a medical school. Working on recruitment and intake for two research projects. 700+ hours. Worked part time as an outreach intern for a cancer center. 1000+ hours
  2. Research: 4 years doing social science research (various presentations). Summer research Sophomore year - 1 second author publication. I guess double dipping, but now working as a clinical research coordinator. Working on getting some publications.
  3. Shadowing: Shadowed oncologists on and off ~200 hours. Will start shadowing my PI next week - internal medicine.
  4. Non-Clinical work - Worked a summer for a health foundation.
  5. Volunteering - Went to a Jesuit school so there was lots of volunteering. Have consistently been volunteering with an org that helps immigrant communities with access to resources.
  6. Other: Gen Bio and Chem teaching assistant. RA for 3 years. Held various positions in clubs and honor societies. Worked with some folks to start a center for undocumented students at our school. Have worked with various immigrant rights groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Haha, coming from someone who has always wanted to live in Cali for longer than a summer - I am immensely jealous! Are you in NorCal or SoCal?
I grew up in SoCal but currently live in NorCal! I'm sure you'll be able to get into Ca =]

Or even more friendly OOS schools like Michigan or WVU. And yes, some other private institutions would be better.
Thank you, I'll go through MSAR and work on a better list for my OOS.

Checking in!

Background:
AA woman, Involved a lot in social justice through research/service, so that's the crux of my app
GPA/MCAT Lizzy M: 68-70
Major: Neuroscience, Secondary area of study is Sociology
ECS:
Research
- Neuro Research, Population Health Research, Misc Research Psych Lab
- Independent Research: Social Justice Fellowship Project with Presentations
Service - mostly civil rights and justice related. 200 ish clinical hours
Clubs
- Science Writing, Social Justice related leadership positions

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Checking in! Wow, May is really coming soon and we have big shoes to fill in from the '16-'17ers.

Background: AA male at a Top 20
GPA/MCAT: 70 LizzyM
Major: Molecular Bio
ECs: research project, mix of leadership positions, clinical volunteering, and tutoring

Interested in academic medicine

Interests: Basketball (watch or play), long-distance running

I'll be applying this cycle. I'm a re-applicant, didn't have much luck this cycle. Was wondering if anyone else is a re-applicant. How much did you guys change your personal statement? I am finishing up an SMP now so I would update that aspect of my PS but otherwise I don't have much to change, advice on that front would be appreciated

I wasn't a reapplicant, but one thing I consistently heard when I was a premed, and was told when I started thinking I'd have to reapply, was that you have to show a significant improvement/change to the schools you're reapplying to. That includes rewriting all essays, from personal statement to secondaries and even the EC essays. I've heard and read in this forum and others that the #1 reason reapplicants aren't accepted the next time around is because they basically submit the same application. Just a word of caution.

So it's looking like I'll probably be taking time off. Currently deciding between 1 and 2 gap years and I have a question about MCAT expiration: it says for many schools that score is valid until the time you matriculate. Do y'all know if this by year or by month? I took the MCAT January 2017, so if I took 2 years off and applied summer 2019, I would be matriculating August 2020. Would my score be expired since that's several months after January 2020, or is it more of a year thing such that my score would still be valid since it's still 2020? Sorry if this is a weird/dumb question, I'm just having a neurotic moment.

Hi everyone!! :) I almost applied this year but I decided to take a gap year. I am rooting for you all, and will be frequently checking this thread to offer support, encouragement and to answer any questions that people might have if I have relevant knowledge. I have like a 30 page document of SDN nuggets of wisdom o_O LOL

Taking the time to plug our Facebook group. Lots of good people that are willing to help and answer questions... Our community is constantly growing so feel free to join...Log into Facebook | Facebook

EDIT: Not sure why the link keeps asking you to log into Facebook, but just search Minorities in Medicine on Facebook.

I see you, making me look bad on my FB group moderator duties :p

Checking in! Wow, May is really coming soon and we have big shoes to fill in from the '16-'17ers.

Background: AA male at a Top 20
GPA/MCAT: 70 LizzyM
Major: Molecular Bio
ECs: research project, mix of leadership positions, clinical volunteering, and tutoring

Interested in academic medicine

Interests: Basketball (watch or play), long-distance running

Osmosis Jones!!! I loved that show haha:D

So it's looking like I'll probably be taking time off. Currently deciding between 1 and 2 gap years and I have a question about MCAT expiration: it says for many schools that score is valid until the time you matriculate. Do y'all know if this by year or by month? I took the MCAT January 2017, so if I took 2 years off and applied summer 2019, I would be matriculating August 2020. Would my score be expired since that's several months after January 2020, or is it more of a year thing such that my score would still be valid since it's still 2020? Sorry if this is a weird/dumb question, I'm just having a neurotic moment.

That's a good question! I would post in general preallo and tag goro, gyngyn, or gonnif. They would know.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone!! :) I almost applied this year but I decided to take a gap year. I am rooting for you all, and will be frequently checking this thread to offer support, encouragement and to answer any questions that people might have if I have relevant knowledge. I have like a 30 page document of SDN nuggets of wisdom o_O LOL

That's a good question! I would post in general preallo and tag goro, gyngyn, or gonnif. They would know.
Let's be real... when am I getting my admin privileges? Lol

I've seen a lot of reapplicant posts on here, I applied two years ago and then applied in the 2016-2017 cycle and had success. If anyone wants to talk about reapplying feel free to PM me so we don't blow up this thread.

Also @Chromium Surfer what happened bruh I thought you knew everything ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I've seen a lot of reapplicant posts on here, I applied two years ago and then applied in the 2016-2017 cycle and had success. If anyone wants to talk about reapplying feel free to PM me so we don't blow up this thread.

Also @Chromium Surfer what happened bruh I thought you knew everything ;)

A wise man knows the limits of his knowledge and the value in solicitation of others ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Right there with you, Chromium! Can't wait until it's our turn :D

Reactions: 1 user

I'm doing the same thing as you, although I think your scenario is a little bit better. I took the MCAT in August 2016, will be applying summer 2018...matriculating August 2019. I I think it's 3 years from the time you take it until the time you apply, so as long as your score is valid through application season you should be good.

Background: AA female
GPA/MCAT: Undergrad: 3.47 Masters: 3.9 Science: 3.6 MCAT: June 17
Major: Undergrad: double majored in Psychology and Biblical Studies Master: Mental health counseing
Currently a licenced and certified as a therapist and work in the hospital (I complete all the mental health evaluations there)
ECs: Played 4 years of collegiate basketball; a lot of research and volunteering; over 400+ hours in shadowing in about 6 different specialties;

Despite not knowing my MCAT, this is my school list:

Morehouse
FSU
UK
UofL
Tulane
Michigan St.
OSU
Meharry
East Tenn.
Vandy (just a try)
UTenn
Marshall
Howard
Alabama

I am extremely nervous and would love if anyone had any MCAT advice. I have looked at other threads but still very much nervous about it.

Would be willing to give you MCAT advice, PM me! :)

Major: Undergrad: double majored in Psychology and Biblical Studies Master: Mental health counseing
Currently a licenced and certified as a therapist and work in the hospital (I complete all the mental health evaluations there)
ECs: Played 4 years of collegiate basketball; a lot of research and volunteering; over 400+ hours in shadowing in about 6 different specialties;

Morehouse
FSU
UK
UofL
Tulane
Michigan St.
OSU
Meharry
East Tenn.
Vandy (just a try)
UTenn
Marshall
Howard
Alabama

I am extremely nervous and would love if anyone had any MCAT advice. I have looked at other threads but still very much nervous about it.
Are you a FL resident? If not, I would recommend not applying to FSU. They're almost exclusively in-state and generally only have 1-2 OOS students per cycle who have extremely strong FL ties and have since moved or went to FSU for undergrad and then moved.

Morehouse
FSU
UK
UofL
Tulane
Michigan St.
OSU
Meharry
East Tenn.
Vandy (just a try)
UTenn
Marshall
Howard
Alabama

How did you select those schools? Just curious. I'm not finding a trend.

I assume you're from Tennessee?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Morehouse
FSU
UK
UofL
Tulane
Michigan St.
OSU
Meharry
East Tenn.
Vandy (just a try)
UTenn
Marshall
Howard
Alabama

Practice, practice, practice.. Once you are done with content do as many full lengths and practice problems as possible. Review mistakes and figure out what you are deficient in. Go over this list https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...27-631d2096c569/combined_mcat-content_new.pdf and make sure you know it down pat

How did you select those schools? Just curious. I'm not finding a trend.

I assume you're from Tennessee?

I chose by gpa/MCAT. I am not from Tennessee. I've also went to visit most schools on my list to show my face and try to make some kind d relationship with individuals on campus. My fiancé works at UT. My sister is a UT alum. Some family in Knoxville.

Are you a FL resident? If not, I would recommend not applying to FSU. They're almost exclusively in-state and generally only have 1-2 OOS students per cycle who have extremely strong FL ties and have since moved or went to FSU for undergrad and then moved.
Born and raised.

Does anyone know when the new MSAR with this current cycles' matriculant data will be released? I want to use it to help determine where to apply, but I want the most recent stats!

I chose by gpa/MCAT. I am not from Tennessee. I've also went to visit most schools on my list to show my face and try to make some kind d relationship with individuals on campus. My fiancé works at UT. My sister is a UT alum. Some family in Knoxville.

Did you scope out the OOS numbers on MSAR?

I have a question about LORs: when my letter writer composes their letter, what specific info do they need from me (e.g. AMCAS id, etc)? In addition, do I just hold the sealed letters and send them to AMCAS myself or do the letter writers send them?

I have a question about LORs: when my letter writer composes their letter, what specific info do they need from me (e.g. AMCAS id, etc)? In addition, do I just hold the sealed letters and send them to AMCAS myself or do the letter writers send them?

You should give them this for sure: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

check the info I posted below! It should give you some good feedback about LOR :)

I think you can have your letter writers submit them to AMCAS on your behalf. But I'll defer to someone who has actually done it. My school uses a letter packet so I am not as familiar with what to do in individual cases.

SDN Notes:
No. In fact, giving your LOR writers the PS is not a good idea. You should be asking them to write what they know about you from your interactions with them, not rehashing your PS. If you want to sit down and have a conversation, that's fine but they shouldn't be writing using your PS and/or experience list or resume.(from Lizzy M)

What you really want in an LOR is comments on your character, work ethic, teamwork, leadership, response to adversity, seeking improvement, etc. based on their interactions with you. Even better if they can provide a specific example or two that really paints a picture of your good qualities.(Ismet)

Tidbits:

. Having a really outstanding letter from any writer is showing evidence of: 1)being in a situation, where they can know the applicant well; 2) providing a critical evaluation of the applicant; and 3) writing a compelling recommendation, is a minority, perhaps 5%. Another 25% are excellent in providing an adcom with good information on the candidate. The vast majority are just glowing and pretty uninformative for an adcom. Almost every letter says how good the candidate is but very few can show me any evidence why the writer has a connection to the applicant nor do they provide indepth insight. (gonnif)

They are not looking for the evidence of your achievements but rather the abilities and characteristics of how you got there (see attached). Your critical thinking, your class discussion, your involvement at recitation (TA sessions), office hours, reputation in the department , etc all are ways for students who have gotten to know professors. Not only can be expected that a premed should have be able to make a connection with a professor but that in medical school and residency, professional networking will become vitally important. (gonnif)

Admissions Prep Articles:

Get A Better Letter: An Insider's Guide to Letters of Recommendation - Student Doctor Network

Letters of Recommendation

(mimelims very detailed and insightful guide)

PI says he will give me an "okay" letter? ( gonnif has a really good outline of what a good LOE should have.)

LOE writer conflict of interest? ( good insight into LOR!! Includes gonnif tidbits above)

Role of LoR (insight from gyngyn and gonnif)

Ugh why do all letter writers want to see my personal statement? ( adcom impressions/ opinons)

Will it be an issue to get LORs from profs that you only had for a semester? ( LOR info from 1 semester prof)

More insight into a GOOD LOR

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/prof-asked-to-provide-personal-examples-for-lor.1165749/

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/ad...ers/332572/lettersofevaluationguidelines.html (AAMC guide to writing LOR’s)

what a bad LOR looks like….

Adcom members: How often do you get bad LoRs?

Does anyone know when the new MSAR with this current cycles' matriculant data will be released? I want to use it to help determine where to apply, but I want the most recent stats!
On AAMC's twitter they said the new MSAR would be out "late April". Well, hopefully that means sometime this week

Last edited:
Not yet but that probably won't stop be from trying at UT. I could be that one OOS haha

None of it is in an effort you stop you from applying. Go for it if you have the money. But it is in an effort to make sure you aren't making a different list a year from now.

A fraction of the list is low yield, and your chances reduced by your residency status. So, it may be worth it to expand the list / review a couple.

I was offered an interview at 70% of the schools I applied to by compiling a strategic spreadsheet based on OOS numbers, GPA/MCAT, minority numbers, and other factors I cared about. Just throwing in some advice. Up to you.

You should give them this for sure: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

check the info I posted below! It should give you some good feedback about LOR :)

I think you can have your letter writers submit them to AMCAS on your behalf. But I'll defer to someone who has actually done it. My school uses a letter packet so I am not as familiar with what to do in individual cases.

SDN Notes:
No. In fact, giving your LOR writers the PS is not a good idea. You should be asking them to write what they know about you from your interactions with them, not rehashing your PS. If you want to sit down and have a conversation, that's fine but they shouldn't be writing using your PS and/or experience list or resume.(from Lizzy M)

What you really want in an LOR is comments on your character, work ethic, teamwork, leadership, response to adversity, seeking improvement, etc. based on their interactions with you. Even better if they can provide a specific example or two that really paints a picture of your good qualities.(Ismet)

Tidbits:

. Having a really outstanding letter from any writer is showing evidence of: 1)being in a situation, where they can know the applicant well; 2) providing a critical evaluation of the applicant; and 3) writing a compelling recommendation, is a minority, perhaps 5%. Another 25% are excellent in providing an adcom with good information on the candidate. The vast majority are just glowing and pretty uninformative for an adcom. Almost every letter says how good the candidate is but very few can show me any evidence why the writer has a connection to the applicant nor do they provide indepth insight. (gonnif)

They are not looking for the evidence of your achievements but rather the abilities and characteristics of how you got there (see attached). Your critical thinking, your class discussion, your involvement at recitation (TA sessions), office hours, reputation in the department , etc all are ways for students who have gotten to know professors. Not only can be expected that a premed should have be able to make a connection with a professor but that in medical school and residency, professional networking will become vitally important. (gonnif)

Admissions Prep Articles:

Get A Better Letter: An Insider's Guide to Letters of Recommendation - Student Doctor Network

Letters of Recommendation

(mimelims very detailed and insightful guide)

PI says he will give me an "okay" letter? ( gonnif has a really good outline of what a good LOE should have.)

LOE writer conflict of interest? ( good insight into LOR!! Includes gonnif tidbits above)

Role of LoR (insight from gyngyn and gonnif)

Ugh why do all letter writers want to see my personal statement? ( adcom impressions/ opinons)

Will it be an issue to get LORs from profs that you only had for a semester? ( LOR info from 1 semester prof)

More insight into a GOOD LOR

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/prof-asked-to-provide-personal-examples-for-lor.1165749/

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/ad...ers/332572/lettersofevaluationguidelines.html (AAMC guide to writing LOR’s)

what a bad LOR looks like….

Adcom members: How often do you get bad LoRs?

This is all very interesting insight. It seems as though most people (even admin) are split in whether supplemental materials should be provided to letter writers. *shrugs* I feel like at some point in your academic career, a conversation with a close professor/mentor/PI would have likely come up about life after college & more often than not (at least at my institution), these people are offering to write letters on behalf of these students and thus, should write strong letters. Those supplemental materials should just be window dressing to bring it all together and not serve as the basis for the letter itself.

I also found a bunch of AMCAS letter writing stuff that is helpful and I plan on sending it to my letter writers. I would navigate the site a bit, especially the FAQ section, and most of your questions should be answered.

AMCAS® Letter Service for Advisors and Other Letter Authors

None of it is in an effort you stop you from applying. Go for it if you have the money. But it is in an effort to make sure you aren't making a different list a year from now.

A fraction of the list is low yield, and your chances reduced by your residency status. So, it may be worth it to expand the list / review a couple.

I was offered an interview at 70% of the schools I applied to by compiling a strategic spreadsheet based on OOS numbers, GPA/MCAT, minority numbers, and other factors I cared about. Just throwing in some advice. Up to you.

Thank you. I'll look into all of that. I thought my list was pretty strategic as far as the mission, ties and my research/EC. If you don't mind, what schools did you apply to?

Thank you. I'll look into all of that. I thought my list was pretty strategic as far as the mission, ties and my research/EC. If you don't mind, what schools did you apply to?

All Texas Schools + the following:
Albany Medical College
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

Duke University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci

Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
Howard University
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Morehouse School of Medicine

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.

Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine

USF Health Morsani College of Medicine (Did not complete secondary)
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Yale School of Medicine (Did not complete secondary)

I received multiple interviews in Texas but have highlighted my OOS interviews.

All Texas Schools + the following:
Albany Medical College
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

Duke University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci

Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
Howard University
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Morehouse School of Medicine

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.

Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine

USF Health Morsani College of Medicine (Did not complete secondary)
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Yale School of Medicine (Did not complete secondary)

I received multiple interviews in Texas but have highlighted my OOS interviews.
Thank you soooo very much. I really appreciate it. I feel a little alone in this process and am definitely new to the this (obviously). Haha

Background: AA woman; non-traditional re-applicant (applied 2015-2016) - currently working as clinical research coordinator (MPH)
Major: Biology
MCAT: May 19!!!!
EC: clinical research in Pediatrics
Currently shadowing Peds emergency medicine doc + >300 during undergrad
Extensive research in Public Health (1 pub, posters, etc)
Non-clinical: Mentor, Health department and DV/IPV shelter volunteer
Just learned how to swim so that has been my main hobby (I was missing out on life lol)

Blessings to everyone for this upcoming cycle :highfive:

I have a question: I'm less than a month away from my test (5/19) and I'll be taking a practice test this weekend (NS1) and will be taking 5 more after that (NS 2-4, AAMC 1-2). Starting 5/10 I'll be taking a practice test every 3 days. Do y'all think this is too much? Because I even considered taking more tests just to get more practice but I don't really know.

I have a question: I'm less than a month away from my test (5/19) and I'll be taking a practice test this weekend (NS1) and will be taking 5 more after that (NS 2-4, AAMC 1-2). Starting 5/10 I'll be taking a practice test every 3 days. Do y'all think this is too much? Because I even considered taking more tests just to get more practice but I don't really know.

I took in total 9 full lengths (NS 1-4, EK 1 and 4, AAMC 1 and 2, sample test) and a bunch of half lengths. If that's what you feel you need to do to be prepared than go for it. No such thing as too much preparation for one of the most important tests you will ever take.

Did you already do the problem/question bank?

Hey guys goodluck to everyone!

Background:
Hispanic male
FL resident.

cGPA: 3.48 (strong upward trend: 2.65 freshman year, 3.6+ thereafter, 3.8 without freshman year)
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 511 (129/123/130/129)

Major: Neuroscience at top 15

Volunteering:
Health education fairs for the homeless: 36 hours
Tutor adults studying for GED: 48 hours
Teaching kids neuroscience: 48 hours
Tutor hispanic kids of immigrants: 20 hours

Clinical Experience:
Hospice volunteer: 352 hours (2 years)
ALS volunteer: 4 hours
Medical brigade in Honduras: 40 hours
Spanish medical clinic for uninsured: will be volunteering as an interpreter

Shadowing: 65 hours
2 neurosurgeons, 1 cardiologist, transplant surgeon, emergency docs

Leadership:
President, Vice president, and Treasurer of Neuroscience club on campus
Triathlon for kids with cerebral palsy planning committee
Co-ran Neuroscience competition for Highschoolers

Research:
Have gotten a couple grants/fellowships to do research
1 Summer in one lab: 320 hours
2 years in another lab: 1500 hours
1 2nd author publication, working on 3 more (2 first author)
many poster and oral presentations

Work Experience:
-worked at a consignment business for the past two years as a cashier and did manual labor: 200 hours (seasonal job)
-I plan to work as a scribe during my gap year while doing research

ExtraCurricular:
Cheerleader in college 1 year
Sailing club: 1 year
weightlifting, Gearing up to compete in a physique competition
salsa dancing, breakdancing, hiking

School List:
U VM
Tulane
ALL FL schools
Duke
Case
Both Mayos
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Oakland-B
WVU

I took in total 9 full lengths (NS 1-4, EK 1 and 4, AAMC 1 and 2, sample test) and a bunch of half lengths. If that's what you feel you need to do to be prepared than go for it. No such thing as too much preparation for one of the most important tests you will ever take.

Thanks! Is there a reason why you chose EK 1 and 4 and not any of the others? I have space in my schedule to fit in one EK exam so which is the best one to take?

Checking in to say that I will also be applying this year. Good luck everyone!

Thanks! Is there a reason why you chose EK 1 and 4 and not any of the others? I have space in my schedule to fit in one EK exam so which is the best one to take?

I was taking an EK course but I dropped it right after I took EK 1. I got EK 4 through a free giveaway that EK was doing. Out of those two I thought EK 1 was better. EK 4's CARS was complete garbage and their explanations were the worst out of all the practice tests I took.

Checking in, I'm supposed to be applying this cycle but feeling a bit intimidated seeing the stats around here

Will decide if I should apply after having someone from admissions look over my application

Hello friends, I am applying this cycle, too. I will post some more about my application/schools etc. after getting my MCAT score back soon! Praying we all kick ass this cycle!

Checking in, I'm supposed to be applying this cycle but feeling a bit intimidated seeing the stats around here

Will decide if I should apply after having someone from admissions look over my application

People are constantly on SDN posting their high stats - especially outside of the URM forum. Don't let that deter you from applying this cycle (or ever). You're much better off looking at the stats of matriculants based on your GPA, MCAT, race, etc. via AAMC and consulting a mentor in medicine, a pre-health advisor, or someone who works on admissions at a med school in your state to help you make your decision.

Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC

I can't wait to watch this journey unfold for all of you lovelies! :biglove:Here for any support y'all need, you got this! :cat:

Can't wait to be done with this!
Background: AA male; Caribbean parents, Widowed mother, instate in Florida.
Went to high school in West Africa.
GPA: 3.80 sGPA 3.84 cGPA
Major: Biochemistry Junior
MCAT: June!
ECs:
Volunteer EMT in college: 100 hours
Hospital volunteering helping patients: 80 hours
Research experience: 2 Labs with 2 PIs (1100 hours total) 3 poster presentations no pubs (hoping for 1). 1 award for research
SAT prep to low SES high school students: 40 hours
Soup kitchen volunteering: 50 hours
Medical mission trips in West Africa (over 3 trips): ~200 hours
Started a little website to generate funds to for relief efforts abroad: 200 hours
Working with a non-profit to establish sustainable empowering farming practices in West Africa: 150 hours

I don't have a school list but I really want to go to the North East (Philadelphia, NY, DC)...

This is gonna be a long trip.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey y'all, I need some advice: I have a meeting with the director of one my top MD-PhD programs and I'm obviously very nervous lol. I'm meeting with him to get advice on taking a gap year and what to do during my gap year if I end up taking one. Do y'all have any advice on what kinds of questions to ask / how to make the most of this meeting? Thanks! :)