**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! Hopefully we have one of the same sessions and can cross paths :)

My interview is scheduled for Sept 19th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yeh I got those. The nice thing about Cleveland Clinic is that there's only one primary and secondary fee that you need to pay to be considered for both Case Western and Cleveland Clinic

I wonder why they sent it to me; I don't have the numbers for them lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I also got an email from Mizzou. Maybe they just want our secondary money lol

I think Mizzou got in trouble last year for not having enough diversity in their medical school class, which is why they are campaigning hard this year lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Mizzou got in trouble last year for not having enough diversity in their medical school class, which is why they are campaigning hard this year lol.
Hmmm that's an enticing thought. But I hear they only interview 10-12% OOS applicants, and with my MCAT I wouldn't be competitive enough. I'm right below their 10th percentile.

Did not know about this thread! Hey everyone, Hispanic kid born in Brooklyn to Colombian parents. Hope we all have a very successful cycle!

Reactions: 9 users
Had no clue about this thread either! Hispanic as well! Buena suerte para todos <3

Hey guys! Long time lurker here.

Finally applying this cycle and thought I would add myself to thread.

3.65/510 and 67.5 LizzyM. Good luck to everyone and congrats on some amazing II!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! I'm trying to get like y'all lol.

Question! How are people approaching the diversity secondaries? Do you guys think it is too cliche to just plainly say "I am African-American/an immigrant/from a low socioeconomic status and because my community is underserved, I want to serve them through medicine". Obviously longer but like...is it okay to just be direct about.

Any general tips for diversity secondaries?

Thanks guys!

To add to everyone's advice, I think discussing the unique insights, perspective, and worldview you have received from being a URM/low SES/immigrant etc. is what is important in responding to diversity secondaries. It is not just enough to discuss what identities you hold, because everyone has unique identities. It's the perspectives you've formed from experiences due to these identities that adcom's care about, in my opinion

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II Drew/UCLA & USC. Literally my top 2 choices, beyond excited. I have been anxious and nervous for weeks and it probably won't go away until I matriculate-- but, we got this **** y'all!

Reactions: 17 users
My first II :soexcited: USC

So so blessed. I'm in the great game now ;)

I've been watching everyone's success over the past weeks and absorbing as much positivity as possible. Keep up the good work y'all--thank you for the continued support and strength provided with sharing your journeys'-- keep walking in your blessings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Got my first II yesterday!!! Can't believe it!

Reactions: 18 users
To add to everyone's advice, I think discussing the unique insights, perspective, and worldview you have received from being a URM/low SES/immigrant etc. is what is important in responding to diversity secondaries. It is not just enough to discuss what identities you hold, because everyone has unique identities. It's the perspectives you've formed from experiences due to these identities that adcom's care about, in my opinion

Yes! I think diversity in life experience and perspective and how that shaped you is the best way to approach the diversity essay. Since your demographics in your application already indicate your URM status, you can use this essay to push farther into what makes you unique as an individual and why that matters.

Got my first II at USC yesterday. One of my top choices!

Long time lurker finally posting, some feedback would be great!

B.S. Biology with Honors
Graduated: May 2016
Reapplicant
First gen college student
Dean's list every semester
NC resident
URM (black and Hispanic male)
FAP applicant
cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 496 (9/2016) then 500 (6/2017)... Kinda scared this will hold me back from getting in :( Thoughts?
Resident: NC
ECs: Lab Research: 1.5 years, honors thesis, poster presentation at university showcase, no publications, applied and received 2 small grants for my research.
Clinical employment: clinical research coordinator with significant patient interaction (draw blood, recruit patients, take medical/medication histories, give injection, etc) full time, 1 year, over 1000 hours.
Clinical volunteering: 30 hours at local hospital (low, I know)
Non-clinical employment: office assistant, cashier for grocery store.
Non-clinical volunteering: Fraternity requires us to obtain at least 12 hours of community service a semester, so ~85 hours.
Leadership: Resident assistant for 2 years in a freshman residence hall, 2 years on the executive board of my fraternity, leadership conference for my fraternity.
Shadowing: 60 hours shadowing a hospitalist that I also work with. He's also writing me a LOR.
Hobbies: weight lifting, lost 65 lbs since my junior year of college.

Schools: UNC, ECU (top choice), Wake Forest, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Uniformed Services University, Penn State, Stritch, Indiana University, Oakland University, William Beaumont , Wayne State (I have an interview this month), Cooper.
Do you think I have a chance in getting in despite my avg MCAT score?

You definitely have a chance with your LizzyM. I would add 3-5 DO schools just to be safe.:)

Hi y'all,

I'm just today emerging from the cocoon that is studying for anatomy.

Congratulations to everyone with IIs so far! It looks like this thread will be lit for months to come. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking back to when I was in your shoes just a year ago and getting excited about every incoming II. Continue killin it, y'all. I see big things in your futures.:p

For those of you feeling discouraged seeing all these IIs going to other people, your time will definitely come. This cycle is nothing but a waiting game, and the cycle is still very young.

Hi everyone! Praying for you guys to have awesome news (or more of it) in the coming weeks! It sucks to wait and wait and wait, but, God-willing, you will make it! Have a great day guys!

Just updating everyone, been swamped at research so been MIA on the thread. Congrats to Everyone that has just submitted or has gotten their first IIs.

I have gotten 2 IIs
Morehouse MD
Nebraska MD PhD

Pretty pumped, did not expect to hear back this early.
I thought Morehouse didn't send out secondaries until late August or something

Really debating on whether I should let my alma mater (Mizzou) take my coins this application cycle :grumpy:

Currently it's a firm hell no.

Reactions: 1 user
Why? What didn't you like about undergrad there?
I loved it there. It was the best time of my life. I graduated in 2016 so the protests happened during my senior year. However I wouldn't go back to the state of Missouri as a URM because some of the townies aren't so open minded in their thinking.

Furthermore the administration didn't handle anything well regarding the protests in 2015 and financially Mizzou is facing tremendous trouble with its residence halls. Even now, they have failed to address certain issues which is disappointing.

As for the medical school...historically they've been awful with admitting minorities. My reluctance to apply their is an accumulation of a lot of things. However I would mainly say I've lost faith/trust that Mizzou. How could we champion an old slogan or "one mizzou" and claim all this diversity yet have a medical school class that is nearly all white? And when you're faced with losing accreditation you want to go into overdrive and fix this issue? Good luck with that considering all the PR we've received.

This isn't the first time they've claimed to try and fix the issue either. They said it as long as I attended there and nothing changed. Why should I believe them now? And if I do, how do I know they're actually doing it because they want to or because they don't want to lose their status.

I'm just frustrated with them.

It's hard to articulate. I've actually talked about these experiences in some of my secondaries and if granted interviews, I'm sure they'll be interesting talking points.

I loved it there. It was the best time of my life. I graduated in 2016 so the protests happened during my senior year. However I wouldn't go back to the state of Missouri as a URM because some of the townies aren't so open minded in their thinking.

Furthermore the administration didn't handle anything well regarding the protests in 2015 and financially Mizzou is facing tremendous trouble with its residence halls. Even now, they have failed to address certain issues which is disappointing.

As for the medical school...historically they've been awful with admitting minorities. My reluctance to apply their is an accumulation of a lot of things. However I would mainly say I've lost faith/trust that Mizzou. How could we champion an old slogan or "one mizzou" and claim all this diversity yet have a medical school class that is nearly all white? And when you're faced with losing accreditation you want to go into overdrive and fix this issue? Good luck with that considering all the PR we've received.

This isn't the first time they've claimed to try and fix the issue either. They said it as long as I attended there and nothing changed. Why should I believe them now? And if I do, how do I know they're actually doing it because they want to or because they don't want to lose their status.

I'm just frustrated with them.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm from KS so I'm somewhat familiar with Mizzou but have never spent any time in Columbia at all (except driving through maybe to STL). I really appreciate the info. I'm still applying to give it a chance, and I keep hearing about how they're changing and how nice the campus is so we'll see :)

You definitely have a chance with your LizzyM. I would add 3-5 DO schools just to be safe.:)
Thank you! I hope so. I feel like my MCAT will hold me back a bit. I think I'll add some more DO schools if I don't here anything by Thanksgiving. Money is tight lol

It's insane how crazy my mood swings are this cycle. Some days I wake up thinking "YEAH! You're getting into every school. Harvard who? I don't know her."

other days...

I'm just like it's over for me, the maps need to be redrawn, is it too late to change my major post receiving my diploma?

According to this table, you would have ~84% chance of acceptance with a 3.8 and 500. But note that VCU requires a minimum 503 on the MCAT or you'll be screened out. I don't know anything about the other schools, sorry.

Wishing you the best of luck this admissions cycle :)
Be mindful that VCU's MCAT min is 503. So if you get that I'd definitely apply but don't lose your money if you don not!

Thank you both for the advice!

Y'all see that email from Howard lol?

Reactions: 10 users
What'd it say?

What email?

what email?!
Exhibit A:

Thank you for applying for admission to the Howard University College of Medicine for the Class for entering July 2018.

SECONDARY INVITATIONS ARE SENT TO VERIFIED APPLICANTS ONLY. On or about August 15, we will begin to send via email, invitations to complete the Howard University College of Medicine Secondary Application to AMCAS verified applicants. We will continue sending this invitations until about January 10. 2018. All secondary applications must be submitted no later than January 14, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. There are no exceptions.

We are currently making changes to the HUCM Admissions website and to the HUCM secondary. We expect both to be completely updated by August 15.

Please be sure that you review the secondary email and directions carefully. We have tried to anticipate every question in order to save you a phone call.

It will take between 2 - 4 weeks to acknowledge your secondary. Receipt of this acknowledgement means that your application has received a preliminary review and that we have all recommendations submitted by AMCAS. Please give us time.

All HUCM emails will be sent to your "preferred" email that YOU designated on AMCAS. We do not type your email; we merely "click". Changes to this email should be submitted to AMCAS.

Interviews will begin in October and will be completed at the end of April. We will interview only about 300 people for a class of 120. Last year, we received over 9,000 AMCAS applications and over 5500 completed applications.

Best of luck in this long and tedious process!!

(Again, please do not reply to the email. Even a "thank you" from 1200 applicants will overload the email system.)

Take care,
HUCM Admissions office

Exhibit B:

Dear Applicant,
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Howard University College of Medicine Secondary Application is expected to be released to ALL verified applicants on or around Monday, August 21, 2017. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Admissions Office

I just want to know what exactly went down :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Exhibit A:

Thank you for applying for admission to the Howard University College of Medicine for the Class for entering July 2018.

SECONDARY INVITATIONS ARE SENT TO VERIFIED APPLICANTS ONLY. On or about August 15, we will begin to send via email, invitations to complete the Howard University College of Medicine Secondary Application to AMCAS verified applicants. We will continue sending this invitations until about January 10. 2018. All secondary applications must be submitted no later than January 14, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. There are no exceptions.

We are currently making changes to the HUCM Admissions website and to the HUCM secondary. We expect both to be completely updated by August 15.

Please be sure that you review the secondary email and directions carefully. We have tried to anticipate every question in order to save you a phone call.

It will take between 2 - 4 weeks to acknowledge your secondary. Receipt of this acknowledgement means that your application has received a preliminary review and that we have all recommendations submitted by AMCAS. Please give us time.

All HUCM emails will be sent to your "preferred" email that YOU designated on AMCAS. We do not type your email; we merely "click". Changes to this email should be submitted to AMCAS.

Interviews will begin in October and will be completed at the end of April. We will interview only about 300 people for a class of 120. Last year, we received over 9,000 AMCAS applications and over 5500 completed applications.

(Again, please do not reply to the email. Even a "thank you" from 1200 applicants will overload the email system.)

Take care,
HUCM Admissions office

Exhibit B:

Dear Applicant,
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Howard University College of Medicine Secondary Application is expected to be released to ALL verified applicants on or around Monday, August 21, 2017. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Admissions Office

lol i'm so confused.

Exhibit A:

Take care,
HUCM Admissions office

Exhibit B:

Dear Applicant,

-Admissions Office

Wat8.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Y'all, what is the best way to answer "Tell me about yourself" when asked that during an interview?

Y'all, what is the best way to answer "Tell me about yourself" when asked that during an interview?

just spent 4 hours with a friend practicing that question!
i start off with where i am from, school, and since i just graduated, what I have done since graduation. Highlight the main things that you really value, throw in some strong characteristics. then talk about what you like to do outside of school-hobbies, etc.
EX.
Hi my name is susie I am from Canada and I just graduated from Harvard University this may. Since graduation I have just been working full at time at a dr's office and volunteering at a nursing home. I really have grown to love these activities because its a great way for me to meet new people and learn different backgrounds while still being active in the medical field. Outside of work and volunteering I enjoy__(Some unique hobby)____. *Elaborate on this hobby briefly, bc I guarantee you this is one way you can stand out!

I have seen so many mock interview-ee's at my school and almost everyone has the same answer to this question, its actually really dull!
please do not regurgitate your resume!

just spent 4 hours with a friend practicing that question!
i start off with where i am from, school, and since i just graduated, what I have done since graduation. Highlight the main things that you really value, throw in some strong characteristics. then talk about what you like to do outside of school-hobbies, etc.
EX.
Hi my name is susie I am from Canada and I just graduated from Harvard University this may. Since graduation I have just been working full at time at a dr's office and volunteering at a nursing home. I really have grown to love these activities because its a great way for me to meet new people and learn different backgrounds while still being active in the medical field. Outside of work and volunteering I enjoy__(Some unique hobby)____. *Elaborate on this hobby briefly, bc I guarantee you this is one way you can stand out!

I have seen so many mock interview-ee's at my school and almost everyone has the same answer to this question, its actually really dull!
please do not regurgitate your resume!

Thank you so much for this insight. Does it make sense to mention your extracurriculars and where you went to school though, since they already have access to that on your application? I was thinking of more so talking about my background and how I came to to be briefly, and then mention hobbies I'm into.

2 more MD interviews

University of Vermont and Albany Medical College

Waiting on some MD PhD ones, applied 6 MD and 16 MD/PhD

Reactions: 10 users
A little bit of punny humor to help you all through Hump Day + beyond :) Hope everyone's doing well!
img_2851-jpg.222634

Last edited:
A little bit of punny humor to help you all through Hump Day + beyond :) Hope everyone's doing well!

oh such quality humor! open with that in your interviews, guaranteed acceptance :p

oh such quality humor! open with that in your interviews, guaranteed acceptance :p

Wishing I had included this in the "Is there anything else you'd like for us to know about you?" section of the secondaries, lol. But I'm sure it'll blow their socks off :)

It's insane how crazy my mood swings are this cycle. Some days I wake up thinking "YEAH! You're getting into every school. Harvard who? I don't know her."

other days...

I'm just like it's over for me, the maps need to be redrawn, is it too late to change my major post receiving my diploma?

same...same...we just have to stay strong

Hi all,
I have some general questions and am in need of advice. Im an AA male, 2 years out of school. I am applying this cycle and submitted my primary app in August. I have a 3.56 cGPA 3.54 sGPA. I have great EC, and great letters of rec, Tons of research etc.

MCAT:
This is where my issue lies. I took the MCAT initially right out of undergrad without much prep and received a terrible score of 488. I then took the exam again and received a 492 :'(. I spent the following year studying and working as an ER scribe. I took the exam for the third time on August 3rd, pending score release on Sept 5.

My questions are as follows:
1. Do I stand a decent shot if I apply this cycle provided my score is decent? Given my stats what score would I need to be considered a good candidate?
2. Since I have already taken the exam 3 times and god forbid I do horrible again, would a 4th time be completely unreasonable and ruin my chances at MD?
3. How negatively will schools view my multiple exams?
4. Is it too late in the cycle currently?

any advice is much appreciated!