**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by azolesoul, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. CUatthefinishline

CUatthefinishline

Dec 14, 2015
    I was always under the impression that it was better to get as much of your loans from the government due to lower interest (typically), easier payback (monitoring, deferring, etc.), and easier to disperse (I'm not sure how it works with private loans, but the gov would pay the school via financial aid so you wouldn't have to worry about that, then give you what's left). I could be wrong, but that's from my experience during undergrad and graduate school. My best friend also got most of her undergrad loans through Sallie Mae & hated it, but that was back in like 2010 sooooo yeah o_O

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Do schools normally have a countdown clock on secondaries lol? I applied to the University of Kansas

4. joe_1395

joe_1395

Apr 18, 2016
    I don't know about that. I would do it as soon as you receive it. I think that a fast reply shows interest in their school

5. Serine Minor

Serine Minor Mad scientist

Jan 13, 2017
    All three UC's I've received secondaries for have a 30 day countdown clock.

6. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Not days. It's time. Like 10 minutes just ticking down

7. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    Oh, my apologies, I've yet to encounter that. I'd say its uncommon but I'm so far behind in my secondaries who knows....please send :help:

8. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I just ****ed up my primary so :diebanana:

9. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    Uh oh, what happended?

10. teamoteamo

teamoteamo 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Which UC's have given out secondaries? Still waiting to hear back from UCSD and UCLA.

11. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    I've received secondaries from UCR, UCD, and UCI. I'm also waiting for SD LA and SF. I briefly looked on the school specific threads, and of the three only UCSF has sent secondary invites. It also appears invites sent by UCSF thus far, are for the MTSP program not MD only. Meh. I figure the longer it takes for me to get secondaries, the more I can catch up.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    4theCulture and teamoteamo like this.
  12. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Oh wow, okay cool! Good luck with those institutions :) I'm guessing you're a Cali native [pretty sure we've had this discussion back on page three of this thread, lol]! And amen to that - I'm currently drowning and not sure if I'm going to be able to abide to my goal of a two week turn around on a lot of these :/

13. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I forgot all my coursework for my undergrad :beat:

I had the community colleges, just not my main institution. They received my transcript, just not my entered classes. I'm going through it right now lol

pramsotingz likes this.
  14. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I'm actually baffled I forgot something like that. I'm real hurt lol

15. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    Hoping it all works out! At least it's still relatively early in the process not September lol

teamoteamo, Kathudoo and Serine Minor like this.
  16. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    Thank you, thank you. Likewise I wish you (and everyone else here!) all the best this cycle. Yeah we did talk about it, seems like such a long time ago haha boy time sure does fly by. I feel you, we can only write so fast before compromising quality.

teamoteamo likes this.
  17. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I'm just blown I'm just now realizing this. But thank god it is

pramsotingz likes this.
  18. 880cylon

880cylon 2+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2013
    *Drum Roll*

Hello!
    I have been looking at these types of threads for years, hoping one day I can add my name. Now is the time!

sGPA: 3.55 cGPA 3.45

Bioengineer

MCAT:512

3 years of immunology research ( posters, presentations)
    hospital volunteering
    tutoring students from underserved areas

I grew up in South Central LA, never thought I would reach this far. Good luck to all. To anybody reading this, probably feeling lost, just keep your head up and keep working hard. Always believe in yourself, as corny as it sounds.

19. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    I got UCLA's secondary today. Same prompt as last year but 5 times longer. Each of the 10 prompts have a 4000 character limit--as opposed to 800 characters last year and the year before that. I honestly hope this is an error on UCLA's part lol

teamoteamo likes this.
  20. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca

Feb 27, 2016
    I also hope its an error, but are your secondaries reaching near the word/character limit?
    A few of mine are near the limit, but most just use up 2/3 of the limit.

Even if this wasn't a mistake, I don't think any of my responses will be over 1,000 characters haha

21. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    I had that problem at first but there are a few where I had to cut down. My problem really isnt writing 4,000 for "A" prompt. but writing that much 9 more times when some of my answers are the same for multiple questions. But as @OchemOficionado said, max characters does not equal required.

22. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Good to know, thanks! I still haven't received their's, but I'm drowning, so it's okay lol. I pre-wrote half of their secondary using the 800 character limit, but it is what it is lol. As long as you say what you want within the limits, all will be well. Good luck!

23. xochitl

xochitl

May 2, 2016
    Do the secondaries just go to the e-mail linked to your amcas?

24. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    Y'all I just got my first interview invite and I don't know what to do with myself!

25. daxlo

daxlo

Jun 28, 2016

Already??? That's great! What school is sending interview invites this early?

pramsotingz likes this.
  26. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    Thanks so much! The school was Wayne State! I definitely wasn't expecting to hear back anything this early! Can't wait to see this thread blow up from everyone's interview invites in the coming weeks and months!!

27. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    +1 !!

28. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    So far as I know yeah.

xochitl likes this.
  29. Serine Minor

Jan 13, 2017
    Holy poop, congrats guys!!! its happening!!! This will be the first of many invites to come, god willing.

30. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    First interview invite at UChicago literally jumped out of my chair at my job and started screaming haha

31. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    WOWOWOWOW!! that is amazing! congrats!!

Orthopedics101 likes this.
  32. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    Thanks!!

33. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Congrats to everyone who got II! :happy:

May I ask where?

34. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    Georgetown :)

35. AlmostADoctor1996

AlmostADoctor1996

Mar 16, 2017
    Just commenting on here to get on the thread. LizzyM= 73.5 and Dominican male.

36. UnmarkedTrail

UnmarkedTrail

Mar 2, 2016
    Just submitted my primary application. Got MCAT score today and did well. I originally wanted to submit early, but decided I should take my time and really make sure I was submitting my best application, as I know you can not change most things after submission. Also, I couldn't really afford to submit it until a couple weeks ago lol. Now time to continue writing secondarys and wait for verification.

37. BurntFlower

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    I want to get gifts for all my letter writers, but I'm not sure what to get them. What would be an appropriate gift?

38. SGRhoDoc

SGRhoDoc

Dec 21, 2016
    I am giving small office plants

BurntFlower likes this.
  39. CUatthefinishline

CUatthefinishline

Dec 14, 2015
    What would you do if most of your letter writers were states apart from you? Something via email?

40. Poloman4

Poloman4

Jul 10, 2016
    hello everyone, just wanted to join in on this success train.
    this is my first time applying so wishing everyone the best.

41. BurntFlower

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    I gave one of my LOR writers a sunflower today. She really liked it, so thank you!

DocAfri likes this.
  42. HermioneGrangerMD

HermioneGrangerMD

Mar 19, 2017
    Just checking in to share that I was fortunate enough to receive two II this past week. So humbled and excited. I'm sick with mono right now which is not the most fun, so this news really brightened my week.

Congrats to everyone, no matter where you are in this process. We're doing it :D

43. daxlo

daxlo

Jun 28, 2016

Good job!!! What places are giving out interviews this early?

44. sbking

sbking 2+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Hello everyone. Im an African American male. I graduated with an Bachelors of Applied sciences degree back in 2013, took some time off and got into an Accelerated RN BSN (Bachelor program between 2014-15 then went right on to complete a graduate RN MSN (Master of Science in nursing) program concentrated in Leadership graduate in April 2017. I currently work as a Critical Care nurse in an acute care hospital which has inspired me to work towards taking the MCAT and applying to medical school within the next year. I have developed a strong interest in critical care and truly enjoy the healthcare field.

my cgpa undergrad was 2.5 my bsn program cgpa was 2.8 and my cpa graduate program was 3.17
    Im not sure how to specifically calculate my sgpa as there are some retakes. (if anyone can offer some tips or a website that can help me please let me know)
    I have started studying for the MCAT using the 2013 tbr books. I have the full set and will be using the pdf file floating around for psych and soc.

As far as research, i did research back in 2011 maybe 2 separate projects havent done anything since.

i feel as though im facing an uphill battle but im not discouraged. I wanted to aim for the october 2017 mcat. My question is if submitting an application this late even worth it or should i wait till next cycle. My personal statement is not even ready.

DocAfri likes this.
  45. @sbking , I think you do have a chance to get in somewhere but I think you should wait until next May to do your application. Several reasons:
    1. Taking the MCAT in October means your scores won't be back until November and that is too late for this cycle
    2. You need to get a new set of MCAT study books - the test was revamped in 2015 and those 2013 books are for the old version
    3. waiting will give you a chance to get some letters of recommendation together and be able to do your essays carefully and thoughtfully, not in a rush.

46. HermioneGrangerMD

HermioneGrangerMD

Mar 19, 2017
    I agree with the above poster. Take your MCAT in October and apply May 2018. I have delayed my application years longer than I originally intended, and honestly I'm so glad I did. It's a long process, but at least for me, there's no reason to rush it. You'l save yourself stress, worry, and money if you apply next cycle.

Sir Alanna Trebond likes this.
  47. HermioneGrangerMD

HermioneGrangerMD

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks! I'm interviewing at U Chicago and Tulane.

48. HermioneGrangerMD

HermioneGrangerMD

Mar 19, 2017
    Does anyone on here who is planning to take the MCAT need review books? I have the Kaplan 7 subject set (like new condition) that I'm trying to get rid of. If you pay the shipping from California, they're yours. Send me a message. Also, I'd prefer they go to someone who can't easily afford the expense of books. I know how the costs for this process add up. I'll go with an honor system on this - please keep others in mind. :)