**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you still submitting secondaries before sending your letters to specific schools? I am awaiting one more letter, and I've finished two secondaries but was not sure if it was smart to submit them before sending letters via AMCAS.
No I have just been prewriting them as I received them. I'm a ****ty writer so I have to edit a lot. I figured I would start submitting once I had all my letters in. Little did I know the process wasn't going to be instant. I spoke with a Coworker today who is also applying, and he said you can assign letters to schools before AMCAS receives them, so long as you already make the profile on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that's probably true. On the letter I got it said they pretty much sent it to URMs with a MCAT > 505. I think a current 506 is about an old 29.

Do you think a 3.8 with a 507 stands a chance ?
1500 clinical, 200 shadowing, 500 research, 500 community service,, 3100 hours in sales job (4 years during undergrad) + numerous other leadership, and tutoring positions?

If not, I supposed in the grand scheme of things I would have lost 39$ lol

Last edited:
Hi guys! I've followed the last two URM application threads and I wanted to solicit you all for advice since everyone here is so nice and supportive! I'm still debating on whether I should pull the trigger and apply for this cycle (I know I'm quickly running out of time to make this decision), due to my low MCAT.

I have a 3.5 cGPA/3.44 sGPA, 501 MCAT, black female, lots of clinical experience, leadership, research with a publication and some presentations, and decent clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I'm aiming for DOs, HBCUs, and my state schools and my state school is actually my top choice, but I want to maximize my chances and apply with the best possible application. The only hesitance I have is I've already taken one gap year and I'm currently in my second gap year and I'm becoming a bit impatient, but I don't want to have any regrets in my career.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! You guys all rock and are so inspirational!!

I think you should go for it. Your LizzyM puts you at a 67% chance of gaining an MD acceptance (avg usually 40%, so that's good!) If your volunteering is actually decent you may fit at some mission based schools. I think DO will be no sweat for you.

On the other hand, you've waited this "far" into the cycle for a reason. If you aren't very confident DONT DO IT. Retake your MCAT and apply next year. Is your Personal Statement ready to go? Do you have a compelling story?

I agree with the post above. I've met people who have gotten in with lower stats, and I really believe that it's about applying smartly, playing to your strengths, and allowing yourself to shine - but YOU need to be your best advocate! I'm not saying that everyone who has applied thus far was 100% pleased with everything on their application, but you've got to own what you have done and accomplished unapologetically. If you feel like you personally are at a place where you can hit submit with no regrets, then go for it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone else feel like their life has been consumed by thesauruses in trying to meet character/word count :dead: Every time I type something into Google now, it thinks I'm trying to look up a synonym, lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think a 3.8 with a 507 stands a chance ?
1500 clinical, 200 shadowing, 500 research, 500 community service,, 3100 hours in sales job (4 years during undergrad) + numerous other leadership, and tutoring positions?

If not, I supposed in the grand scheme of things I would have lost 39$ lol

If you weren't an UiM applicant, i'd say the only thing holding you back at that school would be the research and the MCAT, but since you are an UiM applicant, I think you'd have a shot as long as you really write your secondaries well for Feinberg. Any mid tier school or lower you would be 100% fine.

If you weren't an UiM applicant, i'd say the only thing holding you back at that school would be the research and the MCAT, but since you are an UiM applicant, I think you'd have a shot as long as you really write your secondaries well for Feinberg. Any mid tier school or lower you would be 100% fine.

Oh I forgot to mention I have a publication co- author. In Scientific reports by Nature, if that helps.

So I should aim for the mid-lower tiers and no top 20's like Pitt?
Is the MCAT really holding me back? Right now my sample is at 75%, and 74% is a 507 according to the AAMC.

I test on July 22nd. I was aiming for the 508/510 range, I am not sure how to go up one point in 11 days. I was thinking about signing up for a august 11th exam, since I wont be complete until I have my committee letter in September.

Could I PM with you a proposed list of schools?

Comparing my self with another URM who had 3.8cgpa and 3.7sGPA and a 509, she got many II at top 20's and was accepted at UCSF.. so I was thinking a 508/507 is close to her 509.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention I have a publication co- author. In Scientific reports by Nature, if that helps.

Is the MCAT really holding me back? Right now my sample is at 75%, and 74% is a 507 according to the AAMC.

I test on July 22nd. I was aiming for the 508/510 range, I am not sure how to go up one point in 11 days. I was thinking about signing up for a august 11th exam, since I wont be complete until I have my committee letter in September.

Comparing my self with another URM who had 3.8cgpa and 3.7sGPA and a 509, she got many II at top 20's and was accepted at UCSF.. so I was thinking a 508/507 is close to her 509.

In obtaining advice from a bunch of people who have gone through this, you just honestly never know. There can be one thing about you or experience that Harvard or UCSF loves and would accept you with a 500-505, but Howard or MCG may not offer you an II. Where do YOU want to apply? Where would you regret not applying after all of this is said and done? I have faith that you and I will matriculate somewhere next year, but I know one thing - I don't want to wonder "what-if" when making my decision on where I want to attend. This process is full of surprises and instead of ruling yourself out (or peers ruling you out), let the schools decide. Just my unprompted 2 cents :)

Have you taken the AAMC FLs?

Finished Casper :confused: I wish we knew what scores we got...

Reactions: 1 users

Was this a co-first author, second author or just somewhere in the middle? The fact that you're published is very good and will help. I'd say apply to a few top 20's that you would most like to attend but definitely don't apply to all of them unless you can reasonably afford it along with a handful of mid tiers. Being UiM, however, makes it a crapshoot as others suggested. You never know how it will all go down. I would definitely apply to a some top 20's if I were in your situation but look to see which ones have missions that reflect your own. I would only apply to those. For example, if you are really interested in serving underserved populations in an urban setting, Columbia and/or even UCSF would be what you should go for. If you are determined to be a career researcher with an MD, chose JH, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it? I'm testing on the 26th, and don't know what to expect!

Not too bad, you see several videos with different ethical dilemmas and then you'll get asked 3 questions on each video. You better type fast since you only have 5 minutes to answer each 3! Other than the fact I did not finish my answer on one of the questions, I think it went okay, but I suppose I won't know for certain. :shrug:

Last edited:
I just got my last LOR recently and uploaded it to AMCAS via Interfolio. Does anyone know how long it usually takes AMCAS to acknowledge they received the letters?

I usually had about a day's turnover using Interfolio, unless it was the weekend. Submitted one on Saturday, got the notification from AMCAS this morning.

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine also offered to waive my secondary fee last year. Worth a shot for anyone who is applying there!

FWIW, Stritch just sent me an email offering the fee waiver too plus a priority review of my application. I assume it's in the works for all UiM that met their threshold that they're looking for so I'd expect y'all should be getting the email too.

FWIW, Stritch just sent me an email offering the fee waiver too plus a priority review of my application. I assume it's in the works for all UiM that met their threshold that they're looking for so I'd expect y'all should be getting the email too.

+1

UiM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Awesome! I'd like to add it to my school list. Assuming I ever caught up with secondaries. :dead:

In obtaining advice from a bunch of people who have gone through this, you just honestly never know. There can be one thing about you or experience that Harvard or UCSF loves and would accept you with a 500-505, but Howard or MCG may not offer you an II. Where do YOU want to apply? Where would you regret not applying after all of this is said and done? I have faith that you and I will matriculate somewhere next year, but I know one thing - I don't want to wonder "what-if" when making my decision on where I want to attend. This process is full of surprises and instead of ruling yourself out (or peers ruling you out), let the schools decide. Just my unprompted 2 cents :)

Thank you :), you're so right!! I would be remiss if I didn't at least try. I like to go by the philosophy "money comes and goes". So to add 5 top 20 schools would be about $600 with secondaries, but i think it is worth it.

Hope everyone's secondaries are going well! We're so close!!

Reactions: 4 users
I have a question, I am debating whether to apply to duke or not. There's a question about research, I have done some research, but I didn't like it. I think it was the area of study that I did research in (organic chemistry-polymers), I am not published. How can I go about answering this question? What role has research had in your preparation for medicine? 250 words

I have a question, I am debating whether to apply to duke or not. There's a question about research, I have done some research, but I didn't like it. I think it was the area of study that I did research in (organic chemistry-polymers), I am not published. How can I go about answering this question? What role has research had in your preparation for medicine? 250 words

I feel like you can take this many ways without going on the negative of it:
  • what you learned about teamwork in the sciences
  • increased your resolution in making medicine your career
  • allowed you to apply what you learned in your classes to think critically and perform in your research
  • etc...

Love watching y'all grow as the cycle continues. The teamwork and support in this section of SDN always amazes me. As always, I would like to offer a plug for the Minorities in Medicine Facebook group where we have plenty of resources, PS readers and medical students that offer their time to help minority applicants. It is also a great way to meet new people and network with your peers! I wish y'all all the best of luck this upcoming cycle and don't worry it does get better.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys! I'm working on a secondary from USC-Greenville. I don't really understand this question -

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

I'm not from SC and I'm wondering if this is a question for me to fill out? I don't know if they want the applicant to talk about what attracts me to South Carolina or whatever. I'm so confused.

Love watching y'all grow as the cycle continues. The teamwork and support in this section of SDN always amazes me. As always, I would like to offer a plug for the Minorities in Medicine Facebook group where we have plenty of resources, PS readers and medical students that offer their time to help minority applicants. It is also a great way to meet new people and network with your peers! I wish y'all all the best of luck this upcoming cycle and don't worry it does get better.

Can you PM me the link to this group?

Hey guys! I'm working on a secondary from USC-Greenville. I don't really understand this question -

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

I'm not from SC and I'm wondering if this is a question for me to fill out? I don't know if they want the applicant to talk about what attracts me to South Carolina or whatever. I'm so confused.

TX schools sometimes ask this too. It's basically asking for ties to the state (e.g. family, work, previous residence, etc.). If you're also interested in working or living there in the future, put that.

Thank you :), you're so right!! I would be remiss if I didn't at least try. I like to go by the philosophy "money comes and goes". So to add 5 top 20 schools would be about $600 with secondaries, but i think it is worth it.

You're very welcome! You'll be so happy once you get those IIs and can strut your stuff! :)

For secondaries, is everyone hitting around the character limit? I'm worried that some of my responses are only about 700 of 1500 characters or 1300 of 3000 available characters. Makes me feel like I should be writing a longer response, but I've said all I want/need to say about the question asked.

For secondaries, is everyone hitting around the character limit? I'm worried that some of my responses are only about 700 of 1500 characters or 1300 of 3000 available characters. Makes me feel like I should be writing a longer response, but I've said all I want/need to say about the question asked.

My responses are not hitting the character limit most of the time. I think the adcoms will appreciate the brevity as long as the question is answered well.

Just answer the question. quality over quantity

Another question, semi unrelated, but maybe some of y'all are more financially adept than I am. I am going into a post-baccalaureate program this fall that is being financed entirely through loans. The School has offered 12.5 k in un-sub federal loans, and I applied and was approved for another 10k from Sallie Mae. Right now I am trying to figure out if its a better idea to finance the remaining 12.5 from Sallie Mae as well or if its smarter to diversify my lenders and get it from another company, like Wells Fargo for example.

Another question, semi unrelated, but maybe some of y'all are more financially adept than I am. I am going into a post-baccalaureate program this fall that is being financed entirely through loans. The School has offered 12.5 k in un-sub federal loans, and I applied and was approved for another 10k from Sallie Mae. Right now I am trying to figure out if its a better idea to finance the remaining 12.5 from Sallie Mae as well or if its smarter to diversify my lenders and get it from another company, like Wells Fargo for example.

I was always under the impression that it was better to get as much of your loans from the government due to lower interest (typically), easier payback (monitoring, deferring, etc.), and easier to disperse (I'm not sure how it works with private loans, but the gov would pay the school via financial aid so you wouldn't have to worry about that, then give you what's left). I could be wrong, but that's from my experience during undergrad and graduate school. My best friend also got most of her undergrad loans through Sallie Mae & hated it, but that was back in like 2010 sooooo yeah o_O

Do schools normally have a countdown clock on secondaries lol? I applied to the University of Kansas

Do schools normally have a countdown clock on secondaries lol? I applied to the University of Kansas

I don't know about that. I would do it as soon as you receive it. I think that a fast reply shows interest in their school

Not days. It's time. Like 10 minutes just ticking down

Which UC's have given out secondaries? Still waiting to hear back from UCSD and UCLA.

I've received secondaries from UCR, UCD, and UCI. I'm also waiting for SD LA and SF. I briefly looked on the school specific threads, and of the three only UCSF has sent secondary invites. It also appears invites sent by UCSF thus far, are for the MTSP program not MD only. Meh. I figure the longer it takes for me to get secondaries, the more I can catch up.

Last edited:
I've received secondaries from UCR, UCD, and UCI. I'm also waiting for SD LA and SF. I briefly looked on the school specific threads, and of the three only UCSF has sent secondary invites. It also appears UCSF invites sent out thus far is for the MTSP program only. Meh. I figure the longer it takes for me to get secondaries, the more time I have to catch up.

Oh wow, okay cool! Good luck with those institutions :) I'm guessing you're a Cali native [pretty sure we've had this discussion back on page three of this thread, lol]! And amen to that - I'm currently drowning and not sure if I'm going to be able to abide to my goal of a two week turn around on a lot of these :/

Uh oh, what happended?
I forgot all my coursework for my undergrad :beat:

I had the community colleges, just not my main institution. They received my transcript, just not my entered classes. I'm going through it right now lol

I'm actually baffled I forgot something like that. I'm real hurt lol

I'm actually baffled I forgot something like that. I'm real hurt lol

Hoping it all works out! At least it's still relatively early in the process not September lol

Oh wow, okay cool! Good luck with those institutions :) I'm guessing you're a Cali native [pretty sure we've had this discussion back on page three of this thread, lol]! And amen to that - I'm currently drowning and not sure if I'm going to be able to abide to my goal of a two week turn around on a lot of these :/
Thank you, thank you. Likewise I wish you (and everyone else here!) all the best this cycle. Yeah we did talk about it, seems like such a long time ago haha boy time sure does fly by. I feel you, we can only write so fast before compromising quality.