**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of the info I have on reinvention is from SDNers who have reinvented themselves. But there are other hints in MSAR. For example, look for # of matriculants who took post-bac coursework, or already have a graduate degree.

My list:

Your state schools
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
U Miami
Tulane
Gtown
Any DO school
GWU
NYMC
Albany
Tufts
BU
Pitt
Mayo
Columbia
Vandy
UCSF
Wayne State

This list will come in handy for sure! Thank you for the advice on the MSAR--I hadn't thought to look at it in this way (postbac being relevant to me specifically). Thank you kindly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Confused about something, I'm Peruvian and I thought that being Latinx was considered a URM. Am I wrong?

Also, is anyone doing Stritch's Applicant Boot Camp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Confused about something, I'm Peruvian and I thought that being Latinx was considered a URM. Am I wrong?

URM is traditionally African American, Mexican, Native or PR. Schools can expand that if they'd like. I heard that language skills are an asset so if you speak Spanish that's a plus. Especially if you've shown commitment to Spanish speaking communities.

Also, is anyone doing Stritch's Applicant Boot Camp?

Sounds dope, what does it entail?

Peruvians tend to be well-represented in medicine. So no, they are generally not considered URM.

Spanish skills are appreciated though.

URM is traditionally African American, Mexican, Native or PR. Schools can expand that if they'd like. I heard that language skills are an asset so if you speak Spanish that's a plus. Especially if you've shown commitment to Spanish speaking communities.

Sounds dope, what does it entail?

Thank you so much. This is good to know! I'm undocumented with DACA, speak Spanish and have shown commitment to immigrant/Spanish speaking communities.

Here's some info on it:

ASPIRE ABC module is an intensive experience designed to have students ready to apply upon completion. Participants will receive support and guidance for completing their AMCAS applications and preparing for interview. Each aspect of applying is addressed from clarifying motivation for medicine to strategies for choosing which schools to apply. Guidance in professionalism and personal development is also offered. ABC participants will receive:

• AMCAS application guidance (both technical and personal)
  • Personal statement workshop
  • Interviewing skills and a mock interview with an admissions committee member
  • Application writing strategies to prepare for supplemental applications
  • Professionalism aspects of the admissions process and beyond (appropriate follow up, how to email faculty members, how to dress for interview, etc.)
  • Guidance on tailoring application toward personal mission
  • A mock selection committee meeting to better understand admissions
Participants must be at least rising juniors and must be applying the current cycle to participate. Participants successfully completing ASPIRE will receive a waiver for their supplemental application to Stritch.

Hopefully others can apply to it next year, I'm super excited for it!

Hi again everyone! I hope you are all having great summers and are making progress with MCAT studying, and your primary AMCAS applications! I am one of the admins for the FB group started towards the end of last years application cycle. We are now at 230 members and counting. Its another supportive community you can join and some of the people in there are matriculating into medical school or already medical students. I have included the link below. Best of luck to everyone applying! :)

Reactions: 2 users
PSA: AMCAS submission is now open for whoever is ready to submit

Reactions: 3 users

Ahhh submitted mine right away this morning. It feels surreal! Good luck, everybody!!!

Just submitted as well! Can't believe its actually starting haha.

This is great news! Im so excited for you who are able to submit today:highfive:. For those who are unable, including myself (awaiting final transcripts to solidify upward trend:whistle:) do not panic nor rush--the process is a long one and we will get what it is coming to us WHEN it is meant to come to us! I believe !! Blessings to everyone as the app cycle gets underway.

Reactions: 5 users
Submitted my AMCAS this evening and literally started bawling...this process just means so much to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Still waiting on a letter of rec to come through, good luck to everyone who's already submitted!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a letter of rec to come through, good luck to everyone who's already submitted!

Not entirely sure if you know based on the way you phrased this but you don't need your LORs to be in to submit and have the primary verified. The only thing you need is your transcripts to be received before verification. I submitted my primary earlier and none of my LORs are in yet.

I've been lurking in these forums forever, but since I submitted to AMCAS and AACOMAS yesterday I figured I'd finally jump in! So excited to get this process going!

Reactions: 4 users
Background: Puerto Rican/Nicaraguan American - Born and raised in the Miami area
GPA: 3.58c/3.4s
Major: Biology
MCAT: Taking at the end of the month!

I can't believe I'm finally posting in one of these threads after reading them for the last 2 years!!!

Just submitted my application. Agh. Can't believe how long I've been waiting for this. Good luck y'all!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Just a few tips I thought I'd share:

First, try not to overestimate or underestimate your competitiveness (i.e apply broadly). Additionally, grade trends matter.

Second, as a general rule of thumb, apply to all of your state schools (if applicable), schools that you are within the 10th-90th percentile according to MSAR, and your dream schools (can be a couple of schools or it can be a lot of schools depending on your budget).

Third, it is important to apply early especially if you overestimate/underestimate your competitiveness. For example, I was verified at the end of June and completed most of my secondaries between early and late July. I got my first interview at a top 20 (i.e Pitt) at the beginning of August and thus I had a good sense of how competitive my application was regardless of whether I was rejected from schools that were less competitive or more competitive than Pitt. You can always add more schools if you are verified early and still be "on time." I added Brown in mid August because a friend recommended I apply and I wound up getting an interview/acceptance.

Being "complete" at schools after Labor Day is generally considered late. There are always exceptions of course.

Not receiving an interview invitation before Thanksgiving is usually not a good sign, although there are people who receive their first interview invitation as late as early March (school dependent) and are ultimately accepted (this happened to a friend of mine).

Not receiving an acceptance offer by mid-Feb is generally not a good sign. There are exceptions to this of course (e.g acceptance off of the waitlist, etc.).

Lastly, this process can be unpredictable/stressful at times and so try to find things that occupy your time (school work, job, working out, hobbies, etc.). Reach out to those who support you and talk to them. Don't go through this process alone. FYI, some schools do practice yield protection. So just because you get rejected from a school you were statistically competitive for doesn't mean there is something wrong with your app.

Relax, make your app the best it can be, practice for interviews, believe in your application and most importantly, trust yourself. It'll work out!

EDIT: A lot of this advice is based on SDN wisdom from some of the AdCom's on this site and my own/friends experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Being complete by the end of September is "on time"
by the end of October is late.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my AMCAS today, super excited to begin this cycle with all of you.

Would definitely bank on being complete by Labor Day to be safe :)

committee letter probs though :arghh:. I have seen some of the secondaries, they don't look that bad. I will do them after my MCAT so I can send them back within 24 hrs once I get my score. Fortunately I saved up money for this so I can send them ASAP, but my school wants to see my MCAT score before my committee letter/ letter packet is uploaded.

Biomedical Engineer with 3.18 ucgpa 513 MCAT (3rd try). Army Reservist for 8 years, 3 years of medical device experience, 130 hours of volunteering, trying to get some shadowing experience but I honestly have no doctors in my network.
Non traditional, will be 30 by matriculation immigrant 3 languages MS in engineering 3.45 gpa. Third world country level of disadvantage. Applied to these schools listed below.

Rowan
Maryland
Loyola
Feinberg
Central Michigan
East TN state
Fl. State
George Washington
Howard
Michigan
Morehouse
Meharry
Western Michigan
The 2 Rutgers
Illinois
Uniform service
New York
Rosalind Franklin

Chances? Feels like I have the worse stats here

Biomedical Engineer with 3.18 ucgpa 513 MCAT (3rd try). Army Reservist for 8 years, 3 years of medical device experience, 130 hours of volunteering, trying to get some shadowing experience but I honestly have no doctors in my network.
Non traditional, will be 30 by matriculation immigrant 3 languages MS in engineering 3.45 gpa. Third world country level of disadvantage. Applied to these schools listed below.

Rowan
Maryland
Loyola
Feinberg
Central Michigan
East TN state
Fl. State
George Washington
Howard
Michigan
Morehouse
Meharry
Western Michigan
The 2 Rutgers
Illinois
Uniform service
New York
Rosalind Franklin

What kind of URM?

You need some shadowing. Unwritten requirement. Did you submit your app already and are you open to DO schools?
Already submitted app wanted to apply as early as possible. I just don't get how anyone get to Shadow a doctor, not like I can afford health insurance right now. Feels like being punished for not having a healthy support network. Not really in agreement with the DO philosophy.

Already submitted app wanted to apply as early as possible. I just don't get how anyone get to Shadow a doctor, not like I can afford health insurance right now. Feels like being punished for not having a healthy support network. Not really in agreement with the DO philosophy.
Hey man, I don't think you necessarily need any familiarity with a specific provider. Personally, I just called my local hospital and begged anyone who answered for a week to put me in touch with a doctor. I also had a friend who just showed up to an ER and asked the front desk for an ER doc to follow around.

Shadowing is vastly unrelated to being able to afford health insurance.

Shadowing allows you to get a close look into the professional life of a physician. How would you know if you'd be comfortable around sick people for the next 25+ years?

Shadowing allows you to get a close look into the professional life of a physician. How would you know if you'd be comfortable around sick people for the next 25+ years?
Weeding out those who suggest to Shadow family physician, totally related.

Hey man, I don't think you necessarily need any familiarity with a specific provider. Personally, I just called my local hospital and begged anyone who answered for a week to put me in touch with a doctor. I also had a friend who just showed up to an ER and asked the front desk for an ER doc to follow around.
Guess that's what I will do. Thanks. Is it ever too late to include that in an application?

Weeding out those who suggest to Shadow family physician, totally related.
Not sure what you mean there...either way it's a pretty much a requirement regardless of how hard you feel it is to fulfill.

You've already submitted your app so there's not really much of any recommendations someone can give you about those schools you've applied to.

If you happen to get someone to shadow you can always just update the schools you end up submitting an app to.

I think you'll be fine. You applied early; if you don't get any invites by let's say end of September/beginning of October then it won't hurt to throw in a few DO schoolsin AACOMAS. However you feel about the DO philosophy is irrelevant because MDs and DOs practice the exact same things in 99% of situations.

Not sure what you mean there...either way it's a pretty much a requirement regardless of how hard you feel it is to fulfill.

You've already submitted your app so there's not really much of any recommendations someone can give you about those schools you've applied to.

If you happen to get someone to shadow you can always just update the schools you end up submitting an app to.

I think you'll be fine. You applied early; if you don't get any invites by let's say end of September/beginning of October then it won't hurt to throw in a few DO schoolsin AACOMAS. However you feel about the DO philosophy is irrelevant because MDs and DOs practice the exact same things in 99% of situations.
Thanks for the word of encouragement, looking around here can make you feel inadequate, my first years in college were also my first years in the US, which I stated in my personal statement, I hope that count for something. College freshman year was 10 years ago, I'm confident in my ability to handle the course load.

Thanks for the word of encouragement, looking around here can make you feel inadequate, my first years in college were also my first years in the US, which I stated in my personal statement, I hope that count for something. College freshman year was 10 years ago, I'm confident in my ability to handle the course load.
These years have taught me that having back up plans can never hurt. Still, my opinion is that you'll gain entry into a MD school this year. Just cold call different physicans and ask if you can shadow them, I bet you someone will note. Just be polite and explain your situation and you'll have hours in no time.

Best of luck!

Rowan
Maryland
Loyola
Feinberg
Central Michigan
East TN state
Fl. State
George Washington
Howard
Michigan
Morehouse
Meharry
Western Michigan
The 2 Rutgers
Illinois
Uniform service
New York
Rosalind Franklin

If it makes you feel better, I want you to know that my stats are much worse than yours, and I'm still chugging along, using every resource and avenue that I can to put my best foot forward. You can find the stats in an earlier portion of this thread.

You need some shadowing. Unwritten requirement. Did you submit your app already and are you open to DO schools?

Unpopular opinion here, but nah.

People get in every year without shadowing. I've seen gonnif or Goro say that important than shadowing is clinical experience. Vast and diverse clincal experience can "replace" actual shadowing as shadowing doesn't have much value except "I now know what a doctor's experience/work day is like. You can gain that through clinical experience as well.

Sorry for responding to two of your comments back to back, I hope that doesn't come off as confrontational.

I think they mean it to say they don't know any doctors to shadow. The #1 answer here when people asked how to gain shadowing experience is to ask their PCP first. So, kinda related.

Also, let's not pretend 50 hours of shadowing is really going to make it clear what your next 25 years will be like. Not every doctor I've shadowed actually dealt with sick people.

Unpopular opinion here, but nah.

People get in every year without shadowing. I've seen gonnif or Goro say that important than shadowing is clinical experience. Vast and diverse clincal experience can "replace" actual shadowing as shadowing doesn't have much value except "I now know what a doctor's experience/work day is like. You can gain that through clinical experience as well.
Oh well I guess different people will say different things. Yeah people can get in without shadowing but why take the chance? OP doesn't have any clinical experience so at least shadowing is needed. People also get in with no ECs but that doesn't mean ECs aren't recommended.

I didn't have any clinical experience and did fine but I'm also n=1...

I've seen it on here that it's a basic necessity. If OP can garner up some hours this summer then I would highly recommend it.

Sorry for responding to two of your comments back to back, I hope that doesn't come off as confrontational.

I think they mean it to say they don't know any doctors to shadow. The #1 answer here when people asked how to gain shadowing experience is to ask their PCP first. So, kinda related.

Also, let's not pretend 50 hours of shadowing is really going to make it clear what your next 25 years will be like. Not every doctor I've shadowed actually dealt with sick people.
Yeah I must've missed the ask your PCP first bit. Of course that's the easiest route but not an excuse to not have shadowing even if its harder.

Oh well I guess different people will say different things. Yeah people can get in without shadowing but why take the chance? OP doesn't have any clinical experience so at least shadowing is needed. People also get in with no ECs but that doesn't mean ECs aren't recommended.

I didn't have any clinical experience and did fine but I'm also n=1...

I've seen it on here that it's a basic necessity. If OP can garner up some hours this summer then I would highly recommend it.

True. Required and recommend are two different things though.

Haha. You missed a largely recommend potion of the app, but you seemed to come down hard on the poster for essentially doing the same thing as you.

Oh, I didn't see that they had zero shadowing and zero clinical experience. That's strange.

Yeah I must've missed the ask your PCP first bit. Of course that's the easiest route but not an excuse to not have shadowing even if its harder.

Ya you def missed it cuz I see it suggested on nearly every thread on the topic. I don't think anyone is saying it's an excuse though. We are just saying how it can be related.

People applying with no shadowing for several reasons. That alone is not an app killer.

True. Required and recommend are two different things though.

Haha. You missed a largely recommend potion of the app, but you seemed to come down hard on the poster for essentially doing the same thing as you.

Oh, I didn't see that they had zero shadowing and zero clinical experience. That's strange.
No i didn't lol. I had plenty of exposure to a clinical setting just no responsibility tied to them, i.e. no volunteering tasks, no paid assignments. More so just physically present..like shadowing on steriods :)

Have a friend in medical school with minimal clinical experiences as well. Tried scribing for 3 weeks then quit lol.

Really we're both right in a sense but also wrong because these are just our personal experiences.

All I can do is give my two cents based off of my mistakes the first couple of times I applied and what I think helped this past cycle.

OPs situation is different from mine and I'm sure he'll meet success; just trying to help them eliminate anything that might become an obstacle, even if its minor.

I'm sure we'll all end up where we're supposed to be eventually.

Ya you def missed it cuz I see it suggested on nearly every thread on the topic. I don't think anyone is saying it's an excuse though. We are just saying how it can be related.

People applying with no shadowing for several reasons. That alone is not an app killer.
My recommendation still remains the same. But we can agree to disagree :)

EDIT: Also sure like >90% of matriculants have shadowing listed as something they did as a premed. One of the highest, if not the highest.

Last edited:
No i didn't lol. I had plenty of exposure to a clinical setting just no responsibility tied to them, i.e. no volunteering tasks, no paid assignments. More so just physically present..like shadowing on steriods :)

Have a friend in medical school with minimal clinical experiences as well. Tried scribing for 3 weeks then quit lol.

Really we're both right in a sense but also wrong because these are just our personal experiences.

All I can do is give my two cents based off of my mistakes the first couple of times I applied and what I think helped this past cycle.

OPs situation is different from mine and I'm sure he'll meet success; just trying to help them eliminate anything that might become an obstacle, even if its minor.

I'm sure we'll all end up where we're supposed to be eventually.

Well, thanks for elaborating that definitely isn't what anyone reading "no clinical experience" is going to infer. Haha.

I'm not speaking from personal experiences when it comes to reccomendations. I just share what's been posted on this board so much that I see it in my sleep.

My recommendation still remains the same. But we can agree to disagree :)

EDIT: Also sure like >90% of matriculants have shadowing listed as something they did as a premed. One of the highest, if not the highest.

I wasn't knocking your recommendation :) Everyone should do whatever is within their means to strengthen their app You're probably right about the % of ppl that shadow. Still doesn't mean it's a requirement though, hence my first comment.

For the people in the back. . . NOBODY IS RECCOMMENDING AN APPLICANT HAVE 0 SHADOWING OR CLINICAL EXPERIENCE.