**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icantplayspades

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inasmuch as the AMCAS primary opens May 1st, I figured it was time to open a thread for this cycle. Last year's thread was truly a motivation for many and I hope this thread will continue along those lines.

(GPA, Major, MCAT, Non-traditional, EC, Volunteering, Research, Funny Story, anything) or ask questions!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still hashing out there PS?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey just posting this early. I am from the 2016-2017 cycle and amassed 10+ interviews, I will make myself as available to you all as much as I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, sir or madam!

Hey just posting this early. I am from the 2016-2017 cycle and amassed 10+ interviews, I will make myself as available to you all as much as I can.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying this cycle as well. MCAT on June 17!

Taking the time to plug our Facebook group. Lots of good people that are willing to help and answer questions... Our community is constantly growing so feel free to join...Log into Facebook | Facebook

EDIT: Not sure why the link keeps asking you to log into Facebook, but just search Minorities in Medicine on Facebook.

Last edited:
wow, feeling triggered rn because i still haven't decided whether i'm applying or not lol :cryi:

Definitely applying this cycle! Just prewritting secondaries waiting for AMCAS to open up

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Finished writing my PS last week :banana:Getting some edits, and gonna start hashing out on these endless secondaries & gathering LORs!

Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiosity, how many acceptances did you receive out of the 10 interviews ?

Wow, you're on the ball! I haven't even finished my PS let alone started working on secondary prompts.
Hi everyone! Finished writing my PS last week :banana:Getting some edits, and gonna start hashing out on these endless secondaries & gathering LORs!

Hey all, applying this cycle. MCAT on April 28, already have the intro and theme of my PS but gonna work on it more after April. Can't wait for the mcat to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. Taking MCAT in July and the studying is fun but I'm trying to be one and done.

Hey all, applying this cycle. MCAT on April 28, already have the intro and theme of my PS but gonna work on it more after April. Can't wait for the mcat to be over.

Wow, you're on the ball! I haven't even finished my PS let alone started working on secondary prompts.

I kind of have to be at this point, smh. Work is so time consuming these days (thanks Trump), so hoping to get some done so I'm not completely stressed this summer.

Same. More than 10 interviews but as a re-applicant. I got a lot of kudos on my secondary answers and PS. Here to help.

Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, how many acceptances did you receive out of the 10 interviews ?
I got rejected from only one of them, and I didn't attend 3 because I was already accepted to places I like more. The rest 7+ were straight acceptances. I had a pretty successful post interview process

Last edited:
Same. More than 10 interviews but as a re-applicant. I got a lot of kudos on my secondary answers and PS. Here to help.
^^ she is awesome and got a big scholarship guys.

I loved reading about everyone's different backgrounds in last year's thread, so I thought I would share mine too. :)

Background:
Hispanic. Lived most of my life in South America (Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia). Applied and got accepted to the Fee Assistance Program. Non-traditional.
GPA: Undergrad 3.4. Grad 3.3
Major: Biology & English. I'm also graduating in May with a Master's degree in Medical Physiology.
MCAT: Taking the new MCAT in June. Old MCAT has expired and I got a 21. Yikes!
UPDATE: I GOT A 503
EC: -No research.
-Every Christmas for 8 years, helped give out gifts to a Pediatric hospital in Bolivia.
-Organic Chemistry TA
-Marketing director for an undergrad organization.
-30 hours shadowing doctors.
-Habitat for Humanity volunteer (Alabama & NY).
-Spanish tutor in undergrad
-4 years being vice-president for an organization that helps North Korean refugees who escaped to China.
-300 hours volunteering in two hospitals in U.S.
-Taught 5th graders English in Chile for one summer.
-Many hours teaching English to Somali, Burmese and Syrian refugees.
-Helped Hispanic immigrant kids make science experiments at school.
-2 years work experience
-Study-abroad in France for Bioethics class.
-Taekwondo (red belt) & did two 5ks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I'll be applying this cycle. I'm a re-applicant, didn't have much luck this cycle. Was wondering if anyone else is a re-applicant. How much did you guys change your personal statement? I am finishing up an SMP now so I would update that aspect of my PS but otherwise I don't have much to change, advice on that front would be appreciated

Just finished a histology lab exam and I feel so drained- can't wait to be focused solely on my app.

Are you guys nearing the end of your semesters?

I'll be applying this cycle. I'm a re-applicant, didn't have much luck this cycle. Was wondering if anyone else is a re-applicant. How much did you guys change your personal statement? I am finishing up an SMP now so I would update that aspect of my PS but otherwise I don't have much to change, advice on that front would be appreciated

I'm a reapplicant and will completely rewrite my personal statement.

Just finished a histology lab exam and I feel so drained- can't wait to be focused solely on my app.

Are you guys nearing the end of your semesters?
Yes! 23 more days until I graduate from undergrad :)

Can't wait to get to know you all & hear your stories! :)

Background: AA woman; unique life story; non-traditional applicant - currently working at a Big 4 Consulting Firm
GPA: 3.63 cGPA/~3.6 sGPA
Major: Biomedical engineering
MCAT: 502 - retested after 21, 23 on old exam
EC:
-TA for mathematics classes for three years (~5 hours/week)
-Peer advisor at my university for three years (~5 hours/week)
-Volunteering at battered womens/children shelter (~3 months/30 hours)
-Honor Society leadership (100 hours)
-Hospital volunteering for two years (pediatric unit and oncology unit) [400+ hours]
-Leadership within hospital volunteer program [200+ hours]
-Shadowing (~50 hours, three specialties)
-Summer research internship through the NIH (400+ hours, presented research at NIH & ABRCMS, one publication)
-Senior year thesis
-Senior year research-based capstone project (400+ hours)
-Free clinic exam room coordinator (~30 hours) [doing with full time job]
-Programs Co-Lead & Local Engagement Lead for my company's office (lots of fundraising drives/events ~ 40 hours)
-Awards for academics, research, & job-related successes
-Peer counselor certified
-Football fanatic; a part of the Oakland Raiders Metro Club in my city
-Canvas painting, violin, and fitness
-Professional foodie

Reactions: 4 users
Question about LORs - how are you guys going about gathering and submitting these to AMCAS? Trying to think of the most seamless process for my recommenders to upload/send in their letters.

I have a question about AMCAS GPA calculation: does AMCAS, upon verification, show BCPM GPA and AO GPA or BCPM GPA and cumulative (i.e. what is sent to your selected schools)?

I think its BCPM and cGPA since that's how your GPA is broken up in MSAR

It actually shows everything. There is a yearly breakdown with cGPA, sGPA, and non-sGPA.

Last edited:
Excited to finally get started! Currently in my gap year and trying to finish my PS :)

I have a question about AMCAS GPA calculation: does AMCAS, upon verification, show BCPM GPA and AO GPA or BCPM GPA and cumulative (i.e. what is sent to your selected schools)?

I'm a bit out of the loop - what do these acronyms stand for? Specifically BCPM and AO? Only familiar with cGPA and sGPA.

Where do you find the secondaries ?

Under the premed forum --> 2016 - 2017 allopathic school specific discussions. They have a list of every schools secondary from this past cycle. If you search a little further they have secondaries dating back to 2010 - 2011 cycle. I've been prewriting the ones that do not change from year to year which seems to be 95% of them lol

Reactions: 1 users
Under the premed forum --> 2016 - 2017 allopathic school specific discussions. They have a list of every schools secondary from this past cycle. If you search a little further they have secondaries dating back to 2010 - 2011 cycle. I've been prewriting the ones that do not change from year to year which seems to be 95% of them lol
Cool. I'll start there. Thanks!!

I'm a reapplicant and will completely rewrite my personal statement.
Do you care to share your stats or why you believe you did not get accepted? If it is too personal, feel free to decline.

Feels weird to finally be applying after watching last years thread, a lot of big shoes to fill.

Background: AA male; non traditional currently working in an Analytical chemistry lab.
GPA: 3.48 sGPA cGPA (upward trend, 3.95 average my last 2 years)
Major: Neuroscience
MCAT: 513- 126 129 129 129 2nd try. my first mcat score was : 128, 124 127 130.
EC:
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): I did typical hospital volunteering for about a year, then joined a student run clinic at my university for about 2 years. Scribed for 5 months but had to quit because working 7 days a week full time in a research lab and per diem as a scribe sucks.
  2. Research experience and productivity: I was in an undergraduate neuroscience research lab for about a year as an undergrad no posters or presentation(250 hours) . after I graduated I started working in an analytical chemistry lab at my University (~5300 hours (60-70 hours a week)) ; four possible publications at the end of this year (2-4th authors).
  3. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours between a Hospitalist at my universities medical school and Chief of Nephrology at the same institution.
  4. Non-clinical volunteering: volunteered cooking for undeserved community in my city through out undergrad. volunteered at a head start program helping children from a low SES background for a year. Currently I cook and delivery bread weekly for the homeless.
  5. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Tutored math for about a year at my college, Honors coed Frat for about a year and a founding member of a voluntering organization at my University.
  6. I like to lift weights, and currently training for a triathlon.
I made a WAMC earlier this year with a preliminary school list but any further help would be greatly appreciated.
School list:
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Colombia
Mayo
Darthmouth
UCSF
UCR
UCD
UCSD
UCI
USC
Emory
Pitt
University of Colorado
Indiana University school of medicine
George Washington
Temple
Wake forest
Tulane
Vermont
Ohio
U Colorado
Medical college of Wisconsin
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Utah

Welcome! What's your home state? You have lots of UC schools, so I would just be mindful of their %OOS acceptance if you're not living in California. Looks like a good list otherwise!

Welcome! What's your home state? You have lots of UC schools, so I would just be mindful of their %OOS acceptance if you're not living in California. Looks like a good list otherwise!
Thank you! I am unfortunately(fortunately I guess with respect to OOS lol) from California.

Thank you! I am unfortunately(fortunately I guess with respect to OOS lol) from California.

Haha, coming from someone who has always wanted to live in Cali for longer than a summer - I am immensely jealous! Are you in NorCal or SoCal?

Feels weird to finally be applying after watching last years thread, a lot of big shoes to fill.

Background: AA male; non traditional currently working in an Analytical chemistry lab.
GPA: 3.48 sGPA cGPA (upward trend, 3.95 average my last 2 years)
Major: Neuroscience
MCAT: 513- 126 129 129 129 2nd try. my first mcat score was : 128, 124 127 130.
EC:
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): I did typical hospital volunteering for about a year, then joined a student run clinic at my university for about 2 years. Scribed for 5 months but had to quit because working 7 days a week full time in a research lab and per diem as a scribe sucks.
  2. Research experience and productivity: I was in an undergraduate neuroscience research lab for about a year as an undergrad no posters or presentation(250 hours) . after I graduated I started working in an analytical chemistry lab at my University (~5300 hours (60-70 hours a week)) ; four possible publications at the end of this year (2-4th authors).
  3. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours between a Hospitalist at my universities medical school and Chief of Nephrology at the same institution.
  4. Non-clinical volunteering: volunteered cooking for undeserved community in my city through out undergrad. volunteered at a head start program helping children from a low SES background for a year. Currently I cook and delivery bread weekly for the homeless.
  5. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Tutored math for about a year at my college, Honors coed Frat for about a year and a founding member of a voluntering organization at my University.
  6. I like to lift weights, and currently training for a triathlon.
I made a WAMC earlier this year with a preliminary school list but any further help would be greatly appreciated.
School list:
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Colombia
Mayo
Darthmouth
UCSF
UCR
UCD
UCSD
UCI
USC
Emory
Pitt
University of Colorado
Indiana University school of medicine
George Washington
Temple
Wake forest
Tulane
Vermont
Ohio
U Colorado
Medical college of Wisconsin
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Utah

The OOS public schools that you have on your list are extremely low yield (Utah, colorado, vermont). All have 5% - 7% of OOS applicants getting an interview. Might be better off replacing them with private schools like jefferson, georgetown, brown etc...

The OOS public schools that you have on your list are extremely low yield (Utah, colorado, vermont). All have 5% - 7% of OOS applicants getting an interview. Might be better off replacing them with private schools like jefferson, georgetown, brown etc...

Or even more friendly OOS schools like Michigan or WVU. And yes, some other private institutions would be better.

Do you care to share your stats or why you believe you did not get accepted? If it is too personal, feel free to decline.

I posted my info just further up the thread, but the 2 main reasons were my old MCAT (a 21), and sending my applications in December.

Wow, some of you guys have really high stats! I have yet to take the MCAT but I'm hovering around 508 (my LizzyM would be about 63). You guys are making me feel inadequate, haha.

With a LizzyM of 63 is this school list good?-

All Florida Schools (x7)
All Alabama Schools (x2)
HBCUs (Meharry, Morehouse and Howard)
Tulane

I really seem to not know what I'm doing.