2017-2018 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you heard if they have a huge IS bias? I am from NJ
I'm not sure. I always thought Texas schools took huge chunks a students from in state but I was told that's only for public schools. I sent in my primary pretty a bit late (late August). Also I sent out the bulk of my apps on 7/20 and only added this school late so they might have seen that they were not a first choice. Who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard if they have a huge IS bias? I am from NJ
No worries, the Dean explicitly stated during our interview day that since they are private, they are not biased toward IS and are focused on fit. She did state that their mission was to primarily educate physicians that would be dedicating to serving South Texas, but their inaugural class last year had students from all over the country. I don't remember the exact % from the presentation but I think it was like a 70/30 split of IS/OOS (I could be wrong but I know for sure it wasn't outrageously skewed)

No worries, the Dean explicitly stated during our interview day that since they are private, they are not biased toward IS and are focused on fit. She did state that their mission was to primarily educate physicians that would be dedicating to serving South Texas, but their inaugural class last year had students from all over the country. I don't remember the exact % from the presentation but I think it was like a 70/30 split of IS/OOS (I could be wrong but I know for sure it wasn't outrageously skewed)
Awesome thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure. I always thought Texas schools took huge chunks a students from in state but I was told that's only for public schools. I sent in my primary pretty a bit late (late August). Also I sent out the bulk of my apps on 7/20 and only added this school late so they might have seen that they were not a first choice. Who knows.
Oh ok I ended up sending my secondary late as well because there was a mix-up with my app since I am a DC and they thought I had already attended DO school so I got an auto-reject pre-secondary and then they revoked it and realized they were wrong and sent me a secondary later on even though I had my app in early. I guess we will see

I received my secondary on 8/10 and sent it out on the same day. I don't have the best grades but I still received a secondary because I'm from Texas I guess. But it's been real quiet since then. Haven't heard anything about II. I finished the ARCOM secondary later than this one and got an II in 2 weeks. Anyone else completed the secondary around the time when I finished and heard back?

Reactions: 1 user
For those that interviewed 9/8 and 9/9, how was interview day and what was your overall impression of the school?

I received my secondary on 8/10 and sent it out on the same day. I don't have the best grades but I still received a secondary because I'm from Texas I guess. But it's been real quiet since then. Haven't heard anything about II. I finished the ARCOM secondary later than this one and got an II in 2 weeks. Anyone else completed the secondary around the time when I finished and heard back?
Hey! what were your stats? You can PM if you like. I have an AROM II as well. Where else did you get II?

II at 9:10 PM!!!! lol

Complete: 09/03

cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.50
MCAT:500

W/ over 2000+ hours of patient contact and strong ties to SA

Reactions: 1 users
For those that interviewed 9/8 and 9/9, how was interview day and what was your overall impression of the school?

Overall impression was good. Didn't get thrilled nor turned off, it was just 'good'. Lol Day consisted of MMI, group activity, tour and curriculum presentation.

Also, there were A TON of people interviewing that day -- close to 50 I would say -- which was kind of a turn off for me. It gave me the impression that they're pretty generous with IIs. Student ambassadors didn't really do a good job selling the school. Granted, they're the first class and only had about two weeks of classes under their belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall impression was good. Didn't get thrilled nor turned off, it was just 'good'. Lol Day consisted of MMI, group activity, tour and curriculum presentation.

Also, there were A TON of people interviewing that day -- close to 50 I would say -- which was kind of a turn off for me. It gave me the impression that they're pretty generous with IIs. Student ambassadors didn't really do a good job selling the school. Granted, they're the first class and only had about two weeks of classes under their belt.
50 interviewing that day? Makes me wonder if an II really means much

They are not TMDSAS, mild in state bias.

Tuition is extremely high here from memory - 55k per year I believe?

I have heard some great things and some OK things, looking forward to meeting them
Holy moly Thank God I have the HPSP

II too, for Nov. 17th! CA resident and LizzyM ~67-69

Reactions: 2 users
Damn, well I didn't hear back for an interview and I was complete 8/10. I guess I was rejected.

Damn, well I didn't hear back for an interview and I was complete 8/10. I guess I was rejected.
Yes, it is still considered a little early. We still have the rest of september, october, november, december and then programs still, although a little on the later side, interview Jan-March(ish) and sometimes even april (very late).

Got an email saying that my application is still being considered and if they have space they will send an interview invite, but for now I won't get one. Disappointed, but at least its not a rejection. Good luck to those who have gotten interviews!

Reactions: 5 users
Got an email saying that my application is still being considered and if they have space they will send an interview invite, but for now I won't get one. Disappointed, but at least its not a rejection. Good luck to those who have gotten interviews!

On the same boat! Trying to stay positive through this season as best as I can. At least they let us know where we're at! :)

Reactions: 3 users

I'm on the same boat. Has anyone gotten this email and then received an II? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm rooting for you.

Still in the game! I'm rooting for you too!

Anyone else have an interview for 10/21?

+1 Pretty disappointed as well.

+1 Pretty disappointed as well.
Happened to me too. So I withdrew. Take that UISOM! Just kidding, I was going to withdraw anyway. I have a few acceptances closer to home. Good luck to everyone here!

New to SDN! But II on 09/16, scheduled interview for 10/21!

Anyone interviewing on Friday 9/22 and want to meet up the day before? Talk about the school and checkout San Antonio?

Anyone have to add anything about their MMI experience here?

Anyone have to add anything about their MMI experience here?

The MMI experience was very laid back and conversational for the most part. I believe out of the 9 stations, I only had like 2 interviewers that were not very conversational at all. Other than that it was a great experience. The interview day was awesome. Although, the tour was not that good and the campus is pretty underwhelming in my opinion. Hope that helps some!

Last edited:
How receptive is this school for OOS applicants? I’m from California. I have below average stats (3.5 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 504 MCAT). Is it too late to submit a primary here? Also, is the school super religious like LUCOM?

How receptive is this school for OOS applicants? I’m from California. I have below average stats (3.5 GPA, 3.3 sGPA, 504 MCAT). Is it too late to submit a primary here? Also, is the school super religious like LUCOM?
I don't think they have a huge IS preference. I would apply, you also don't have below average stats (average at worst, your MCAT might make up for your lower but still not bad sGPA IMHO, but I am not an adcom so don't quote me on that haha). I got an II here and I have a sub 500 MCAT. I have a high GPA and a lot of clinical experience, but still a sub-500 MCAT is saying something about how this school has a holistic admissions perspective.

Does this school send out secondaries later in the app cycle? They received my primary app 4 weeks ago, but I didn't receive a secondary or secondary rejection.

I interviewed here on 9/8. There were a lot of OOS interviewees, they don't have the same IS trends that many other TX schools do. I think they addressed this in their presentation and I want to say it was something like 50/50 IS vs. OOS, IIRC. I did not think they were "super religious." It was discussed and plays a big role in the history of the school/area, but religion did not seem to be built into the curriculum or anything like that.

I interviewed here on 9/8. There were a lot of OOS interviewees, they don't have the same IS trends that many other TX schools do. I think they addressed this in their presentation and I want to say it was something like 50/50 IS vs. OOS, IIRC. I did not think they were "super religious." It was discussed and plays a big role in the history of the school/area, but religion did not seem to be built into the curriculum or anything like that.

I interviewed on 9/9 and they said that the breakdown was 75% IS and 25% OOS.

It is a new school gotta give it some time.