2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The poster I was discussing with has a Lizzy of around 55 with a sub 125 bio MCAT.

While stats aren't everything anywhere, expecting a school that is new but coming from a premier public undergrad to admit with those kind of stats is unrealistic.

With a LizzyM of 68, I do not consider Dell realistic, and indeed we have no sub-70 interview invites so far.

Well, I'm a current student, and my LizzyM was 63... So... stats are not everything. They are being honest when stating they have a holistic approach. If you have an amazing background/childhood/past career/something, but less than competitive stats, they will at least see whether you are a good fit for the mission.

Members don't see this ad.

If they were just aiming for stats, yes, but word is that they rate subjectives very, very high.

And I believe they fully funded last year's class. 400k in debt for HMS versus debt free at Dell - the choice seems obvious to me.

Not quite correct-- every student gets a scholarship. The average is 30%. Many get 25%, some get 50%+. That's from the medical school. There's also some additional grants from UT. My T&F for the first year is ~$12k. Additionally, nearly all books are provided for free electronically, or can be easily found online. So, the actual cost of attendance is very, very affordable. Housing is the most expensive thing for us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm a current student, and my LizzyM was 63... So... stats are not everything. They are being honest when stating they have a holistic approach. If you have an amazing background/childhood/past career/something, but less than competitive stats, they will at least see whether you are a good fit for the mission.

Haha, that's awesome DellMed! Hey Tiger
giphy.gif

Beats flipping burgers, which is where sub 125 bio is going to land.

While I wouldn't put it in such a negative "you're a failure for the rest of your life" statement, a 125 or less on the bio subsection will have significant difficulty. The 10%tile & 25%tile bio score is a 127. This is a definitely very competitive school. Though, one imperfection on your app is not what will get you axed.

Reactions: 1 users
The class has high stats. I think if they want high stats plus strong ECs, they will have to offer even more acceptances per seat since they'd be targeting an even more desirable subset of applicants.

There was a reddit post last year with a ton of the US News data on: interviews, acceptances, matriculants for individual schools. Someone also compiled it into a spreadsheet, but I can't find that link.

Since Texas uses a match system for instate applicants, figuring out the number of acceptances is a little tricky. I don't think there's anything clarifying what exactly an acceptance is. If a student got accepted to their first ranked school, but may have possibly been accepted to the second ranked, if they weren't accepted to their first, is that one or two acceptances? The matching algorithm probably affects the number of acceptances, when comparing to non TX schools. But, a good rule of thumb is to double the number of matriculants to figure out how many acceptances went out for most schools.

Every one of the M1/M2's I've asked has told me that Dell was their top pick. Even those competitive for the ivy's. The school seems to seek and accept students that are both a good fit for their mission, and are excited to attend and contribute.

There was a reddit post last year with a ton of the US News data on: interviews, acceptances, matriculants for individual schools. Someone also compiled it into a spreadsheet, but I can't find that link.

Since Texas uses a match system for instate applicants, figuring out the number of acceptances is a little tricky. I don't think there's anything clarifying what exactly an acceptance is. If a student got accepted to their first ranked school, but may have possibly been accepted to the second ranked, if they weren't accepted to their first, is that one or two acceptances? The matching algorithm probably affects the number of acceptances, when comparing to non TX schools. But, a good rule of thumb is to double the number of matriculants to figure out how many acceptances went out for most schools.

Every one of the M1/M2's I've asked has told me that Dell was their top pick. Even those competitive for the ivy's. The school seems to seek and accept students that are both a good fit for their mission, and are excited to attend and contribute.

I don't think it's that tricky. The school offers to prematch x applicants and match y applicants. X+ y = #acceptances (not factoring in waitlist). The fact that some of group y ranked another school higher doesn't affect y. The problem is we don't have access to the data. I am guessing, however, that as a new school with no step 1 average or match data, Dell has to offer more acceptances per seat than UTSW/Baylor to matriculate highly competitive applicants.

Oh my goodness I got a call from a telemarketer with a 512 area code today, which has never happened to me before. If you haven't heard back yet, at least you didn't get all excited just to be let down by someone trying to sell you insurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
I could not make the offered date. I thought the person I spoke to was extremely flexible and accommodating. Not sure if that's what you mean, or whether you mean changing a date that you already agreed to.

I mean changing a date you already agreed to. Dont want to go into details for anonymity reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. I have a pretty demanding job so this is a constant fear of mine. I hope it all worked out for you.
Yeah. My schedule is a mess right now and I dont want to be that guy that calls to reschedule like 5 times

Unclear how your comment is responsive to mine.
It's not. Instead it was a clear shot against my score (which is sad on their part because it highlights their insecurities). I am confident in what I know, and competent enough to realize where I lack understanding. I'm actively working to change and become the best version of myself, which is one reason I'm applying to medical school as a non-traditional student, 12 years removed from college. When I get into medical school I will ensure that I prepare myself to the best of my abilities, while continuing to lift up others around me so they may do the same for others, so spreads the web. Further, I believe with a negative mentality such as yours you will be less productive than you could ultimately be. I've faced the same negative mentality while public school teaching; you create more problems than solutions this way. Try something more fruitful next time.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users
FInally got a secondary invite lol after y'all got IIs. Do you guys have any tips on how to prepare? Should I basically treat this as an interview? I gather I can't preview the questions?

FInally got a secondary invite lol after y'all got IIs. Do you guys have any tips on how to prepare? Should I basically treat this as an interview? I gather I can't preview the questions?

You can't preview the questions. Treat it as a conversational interview. I'd say you should use your phone if you can, makes it feel like you chatting with a friend. I ended up using my computer for 2 questions and phone for 1 (long story). Using the computer, I felt stressed like I was running out of things to say, For the phone I just sat on the floor of my SO's room, and it felt like a FaceTime. For question prep, just think typical interview scenario questions, practice answering common questions if you really unsure and go for it.
Although you don't really need to prep for it, just be yourself...

Haha.. this was such a long reply

You can't preview the questions. Treat it as a conversational interview. I'd say you should use your phone if you can, makes it feel like you chatting with a friend. I ended up using my computer for 2 questions and phone for 1 (long story). Using the computer, I felt stressed like I was running out of things to say, For the phone I just sat on the floor of my SO's room, and it felt like a FaceTime. For question prep, just think typical interview scenario questions, practice answering common questions if you really unsure and go for it.
Although you don't really need to prep for it, just be yourself...

Haha.. this was such a long reply

Really helpful, thanks! You mentioned using phone - that seems quite casual. Did you wear like a formal outfit (top at least) or do you not think that's necessary?

Really helpful, thanks! You mentioned using phone - that seems quite casual. Did you wear like a formal outfit (top at least) or do you not think that's necessary?

I think they mention that you don't have to look formal or dressed, but don't look shabby. I made sure my hair looked okay, and had a school branded t-shirt on. If you are really concerned, a causal button down or blouse (not sure what sex u are) is more than enough. And the phone is not too casual. The secondary gives you an option and it really helps calm nerves, except you think you'd prefer a more formal computer setting

Yeah haha SDN is a great place to be ambiguous when it comes to that area for anonymity reasons.

Thanks so much!

I think they mention that you don't have to look formal or dressed, but don't look shabby. I made sure my hair looked okay, and had a school branded t-shirt on. If you are really concerned, a causal button down or blouse (not sure what sex u are) is more than enough. And the phone is not too casual. The secondary gives you an option and it really helps calm nerves, except you think you'd prefer a more formal computer setting
I wore a burnt orange tank top to rep my UT pride

Oh my goodness I got a call from a telemarketer with a 512 area code today, which has never happened to me before. If you haven't heard back yet, at least you didn't get all excited just to be let down by someone trying to sell you insurance!

I ended up getting an II, so all is well in the world :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hm it was early during the week of June 25 but I can't recall which day it was

Thank you for the reply! I got mine on the 12th of July so I guess I may still have some waiting to do!

Is it too late to send a primary app to this school as an OOS?

Anyone know what interview day is like here and what types of questions they ask? Or just general info about how the interview went? Is it relaxed and conversational or more formal and question/answer format?

i havent gotten a secondary yet, should i consider myself out of the race here?

513 mcat with a 124 cars :/

Anyone know what interview day is like here and what types of questions they ask? Or just general info about how the interview went? Is it relaxed and conversational or more formal and question/answer format?

The interview day will have an MMI component, a one-on-one interview, as well as a group exercise. The questions you get asked are standard medical school interview questions, and the MMI questions are similar to ones at other schools. The group exercise last year involved working together as a team to come up with a solution to something. Basically, don't be a loud jerk, nor be completely silent.

There's also a tour of the building, and a tour of the new hospital. Expect the interview day to last pretty much all day.

There's also a social event the night before at a nearby bar/restaurant. While I can't make it to the one on 8/9, many of my classmates will be there to answer your questions!

The interview day will have an MMI component, a one-on-one interview, as well as a group exercise. The questions you get asked are standard medical school interview questions, and the MMI questions are similar to ones at other schools. The group exercise last year involved working together as a team to come up with a solution to something. Basically, don't be a loud jerk, nor be completely silent.

There's also a tour of the building, and a tour of the new hospital. Expect the interview day to last pretty much all day.

There's also a social event the night before at a nearby bar/restaurant. While I can't make it to the one on 8/9, many of my classmates will be there to answer your questions!

Cool thanks! What does typical MMI questions mean? I've never experienced and MMI before.

Could anyone share the secondary prompts?

Could anyone share the secondary prompts?
It's a video secondary where you get the prompts verbally right before responding. I don't believe they are the same for everyone either.

Cool thanks! What does typical MMI questions mean? I've never experienced and MMI before.

It's hard to provide a response to this that isn't incredibly vague since nobody knows the MMI questions besides the admissions staff and there are a bunch of them. Your best bet is google some sample MMI questions to get an idea of what they may look like, as well as some strategies as to how best answer them. Last year none of mine were crazy off the cuff scenarios. They were similar to examples you can find online

For those still fretting about whether Dell has passed your application up, please take comfort in knowing that Dell does go back and re-review applications. (Completed June 6).

I was pretty certain I was rejected pre-secondary, but lo and behold, just got a video secondary invite. So don't count yourself out and keep hope alive!!!!

Now I gotta hit a home run with these questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II today!
Primary Transmitted 6/23/17
Secondary Received: 7/28/17
Secondary Completed: 8/1/17
IS URM LizzyM:67

Anyone know if Dell does a social the night before interviews? Trying to plan travel for the 8/22 interview date.

Still waiting, dell is my top choice :/ my secondaries been submitted for a while now

Anyone know if Dell does a social the night before interviews? Trying to plan travel for the 8/22 interview date.

There is a social night before interviews at a nearby bar. Many M1s go, and probably even some M2s. Since the M2s are doing their clinical rotations, some are working crazy hours, and don't have any free time. But, there should be a bunch of students available to answer questions.

It's not sanctioned by the school, and attending / not attending will have no effect on your admissions decision. When I attended, the students were very honest with their thoughts about the school, and you can really get a sense of the type of personalities Dell looks for

Anybody still waiting for a secondary? I haven't been rejected, but I haven't received a secondary yet either...

Anybody still waiting for a secondary? I haven't been rejected, but I haven't received a secondary yet either...

Also still waiting on a secondary... but my primary transmitted late July, so it's been pretty quiet for me so far (other than secondaries from other Texas schools)

Last edited:
Dell does have quite a tough screen for secondary. Last year they went from ~4700 applicants to ~1150 secondaries to interviewing only 350. So this is a very competitive location for sure.