2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone want to guess when the first IIs will come out? The website claims the first interviews are in late July. Seems like they would have to invite some folks soon.

Members don't see this ad.

First interviews at the end of July? That'll be a quick turnaround

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick heads up. If you have an error while recording your video, fill out the tech support form. My computer froze while recording and I had to restart...the tech guys sent me a link to re-record one of my responses because I recorded nothing there

Anyone want to guess when the first IIs will come out? The website claims the first interviews are in late July. Seems like they would have to invite some folks soon.

While the interviews were conducted in late July for the first two classes, the admissions staff told us they are waiting for some software updates before they begin sending out interview invites for this year, and thus the first interview date is most likely delayed. They're planning on still interviewing the same number, it's just that they might start a bit later than last year.

Let me caveat my assessment by noting that I'm a non-trad with over 10 years of work experience. All of my answers were drawn from my work experience. I think, personally, I would have been a bit more hard pressed to answer well if I were limited to my undergrad activities. But keep in mind that I was not a premed as an undergrad and my undergrad ECs are pretty weak compared to most competitive traditional premeds.

I think the key to doing well is to read about Dell's mission and the attributes they're looking for and then be prepared to talk about those things in relation to your ECs and academic experiences.

I'm in the exact same boat as a non-traditional. There is no way I would've handled being a med school applicant straight out of school. My real-world experience is what ultimately prepared me. If I may ask, what your stats were?
Mine:
Overall GPA: 3.57

Overall BCPM GPA: 3.51

Undergrad GPA: 3.57

Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.51

Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.62

MCAT: 501 - Biology killed me.

I submitted TMDSAS June 29, 2017.

While the interviews were conducted in late July for the first two classes, the admissions staff told us they are waiting for some software updates before they begin sending out interview invites for this year, and thus the first interview date is most likely delayed. They're planning on still interviewing the same number, it's just that they might start a bit later than last year.

Yeah, it seems like they are creating a website where we can pick our dates online. I think in years past they would call and offer you a few dates. I prefer this option since my schedule is always changing and this gives me time to really think it through.

Just received an II by phone call! Very nice lady from the admissions office!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. Did the person on the phone offer you dates and ask you to pick one? Or was it more like "you're invited, congrats, now check your email and follow the link to pick an interview date"? Austin area code?
It comes from an Austin area code (512-xxx-xxxx). They offered me one date and asked me whether I wanted to accept. Not too sure about flexibility

I got the secondary invite today (07/21). My application was transmitted (07/17). LizzyM: 69.5, URM. Texas resident.

I got an Interview Invite today for August 10th! It was a phone call that I originally ignored because I get a lot of Telemarketers...

TMDSAS Submitted: 6/01 , Secondary received (and completed same day): 6/22 , MCAT: 516 cGPA/sGPA: 3.84/3.83

Reactions: 1 users
Did my undergrad at UT Austin, 75 LizzyM, and still haven't heard anything. Am really hoping for some love from this school

Did my undergrad at UT Austin, 75 LizzyM, and still haven't heard anything. Am really hoping for some love from this school
I have a 76 LizzyM and I am a Texas resident, but I still don't have a Secondary invite either, so don't worry!

So many people with high LizzyM's applying here! Makes me really nervous :/

Last edited:
Oh the emotional rollercoaster of med school admissions. When I got my Dell secondary in the first round of emails, I felt on top of the world. Now that I haven't received an II yet, I am convinced I will be rejected everywhere.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh the emotional rollercoaster of med school admissions. When I got my Dell secondary in the first round of emails, I felt on top of the world. Now that I haven't received an II yet, I am convinced I will be rejected everywhere.

Man.. I am in the same boat. Got my secondary very early ...still waiting on that II. Just found out a friend got one...and ......urrghhh med school apps

II just now! IS Lizzy M 76, UT alum

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stats are fatal at Dell, even if URM, especially if you scored less than 125 on bio. They were 3.8\512 last year.
Well then shame on them for they're missing out on one caring, ready-to-lead future physician.

...Any updates on secondaries for anyone else? My app transmitted June 4. I'm trying to gauge if folks whose apps transmitted after that have gotten secondary invites yet. Fingers crossed!
I'm OOS. transmitted June 7 and still waiting for a secondary. This is one of the last secondaries I am waiting for.

Reactions: 1 user
Well then shame on them for they're missing out on one caring, ready-to-lead future physician.

Stats are not everything at this school. If so, both median the GPA and MCAT would be even higher. The admission staff is very transparent in what they are looking for https://utexas.app.box.com/s/z2crd52vjmkob9efdy50sg77jykgg7f2

With that said, most of the super high achievers also tend to have higher stats. The 10th %tile MCAT for my class was like a 508. That's not to say that there are a couple of folks with much lower MCAT scores who met the mission of the school in many other ways.

Do they only interview on Thursdays????

I believe interviews will be held on either a Tuesday or Thursday during the fall. Our classes are mostly on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Many of us do not have any classes scheduled on Tuesday or Thursday, which makes it easier to accommodate the interviews and tours. Some 1st years may have a lab, or one other class on either a Tues, Thurs, or both.

I believe they stated very clearly that they were issuing a lot of secondaries and not interviewing very many in their secondary email.

Translation (not subtle) - p of getting an interview much lower than a secondary.

For the first two classes the breakdown was something like: ~4750 apps --> ~1,100 secondaries --> 350 interviews --> 50 matriculants.

So, getting a secondary is a good sign! Though, many who get secondaries do not get an interview, and many who interview do not get an acceptance.

For the first two classes the breakdown was something like: ~4750 apps --> ~1,100 secondaries --> 350 interviews --> 50 matriculants.

So, getting a secondary is a good sign! Though, many who get secondaries do not get an interview, and many who interview do not get an acceptance.

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. Do you know the adcom's pattern of screening for secondaries, and if they revisit apps? For example, for folks who have not received secondaries whose apps transmitted May & early June, should they count themselves out?
On their website they say they periodically go back and revisit apps

Anyone have any advice on the secondary? I just received the secondary invite email today and am pretty overwhelmed by it lol

Anyone have any advice on the secondary? I just received the secondary invite email today and am pretty overwhelmed by it lol

I would have 3-5 experiences that you could talk about for the three questions. These experiences should be pretty versatile, and could answer several different situational questions. They're pretty typical behavioral interview questions, not really specific to medicine or Dell. I felt like my secondary was pretty awkward, but ended up getting an II so it might not have a ton of weight.

Just research their mission and what they want to see in their applicants, and make sure you understand how you and your experiences fit that mission.

Anyone want to guess the ratio of acceptances offered/matriculants?

Some adcoms have said for top schools it's 3-5 acceptances per seat since all these schools are fighting over the same high stat applicants.

I would have 3-5 experiences that you could talk about for the three questions. These experiences should be pretty versatile, and could answer several different situational questions. They're pretty typical behavioral interview questions, not really specific to medicine or Dell. I felt like my secondary was pretty awkward, but ended up getting an II so it might not have a ton of weight.

Since there are three behavior interview questions, did you ever find yourself repeating the same experience?

Just got the call. Yay. Dell is pretty high on my list so I can stop agonizing over every phone call. LizzyM 77

Reactions: 2 users
Since there are three behavior interview questions, did you ever find yourself repeating the same experience?

No, I would try to avoid repeating the same experience personally.

If they were just aiming for stats, yes, but word is that they rate subjectives very, very high.

And I believe they fully funded last year's class. 400k in debt for HMS versus debt free at Dell - the choice seems obvious to me.

The class has high stats. I think if they want high stats plus strong ECs, they will have to offer even more acceptances per seat since they'd be targeting an even more desirable subset of applicants.

Stats are not everything at this school. If so, both median the GPA and MCAT would be even higher. The admission staff is very transparent in what they are looking for https://utexas.app.box.com/s/z2crd52vjmkob9efdy50sg77jykgg7f2

With that said, most of the super high achievers also tend to have higher stats. The 10th %tile MCAT for my class was like a 508. That's not to say that there are a couple of folks with much lower MCAT scores who met the mission of the school in many other ways.
I'm assuming you mean top 10th %ile... haha.

Cool Cool!!!!

Millennial.jpg

They funded everyone who was in their opening class, they're affiliated with probably the strongest supporting science faculty outside of HSYP. Translation: people who could have went to HMS went to Dell instead, and with good reason.
HAHA that's cute... if medicine doesn't work out, you could always do comedy!