2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Based on the difference in the # of IIs given at this time this year vs last year, it doesn't look like that will be the case. With fewer spots available this year, the # of acceptances will naturally be less than previous years. And it looks like they're trying to manage this situation at the level of the II. This leads me to believe that they are trying to keep the PI acceptance rate fairly similar to previous years.

There's a lot of things that could contribute to the less II's year over year at this given point - but these are all questions we can ask tonight!

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose deferral was the wrong word to choose. I was told more for post-interview people who were accepted by Michigan but decided to attend somewhere else, i.e. michigan interviewed too many, or too many exceptional candidates who also for example were accepted to Ivy schools etc. Hope this clears up what I meant and I only heard this from one person I know, there are many hundreds of people involved in the admissions process.

I'm an M1 at Michigan. Admissions over-enrolled our class so they offered scholarships for people to defer to next year's incoming class. Fifteen people took the deferral scholarship, and more deferred w/o scholarship. Not sure on the exact number, but I would have to estimate that we had at least 20 deferrals.

These two explanations are kind of contradictory...

Reactions: 1 users
These two explanations are kind of contradictory...
Go with my explanation.

People who chose other schools did not defer Michigan, they withdrew their application to attend another institution. Deferral implies that they will come to Michigan eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, anyone learn anything helpful from the Twitter chat? I wasn't available. Anyone find out when in-state IIs start by chance?

With regards to the application process

*Not halfway through II's yet
*Significant updates are best

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhhh really wish I could have attended that twitter chat. It's good to hear they are not even halfway through IIs though

Wow, congrats to you @twentyeightmiles ! Interviewing must feel like a full time job! Congrats on all your success!

@OldSavage and everyone else, if it helps at all, there are probably thousands of people feeling the same way as you right now, including me..... I also submitted within hours of rec. the 2ndary on July 1. Hang on, there are still lots of umich med Mondays left!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congrats to you @twentyeightmiles ! Interviewing must feel like a full time job! Congrats on all your success!

@OldSavage and everyone else, if it helps at all, there are probably thousands of people feeling the same way as you right now, including me..... I also submitted within hours of rec. the 2ndary on July 1. Hang on, there are still lots of umich med Mondays left!

Maybe you're next

Thank you! It's been busy but exciting :) Definitely still a lot of invites left even for people who feel like they must've been looked at already!

Not sure if this has been asked yet - for anyone with II who has competed the pre-interview HIPAA certification, there's no actual quiz right? I'm not sure if I'm doing this whole thing correctly...I only saw a link with a printable certification where I could fill out my name and date (left the Michigan ID section blank). Is there supposed to be an actual quiz somewhere? Or do they just want us to read through their slides and fill out our own certificate?

Not sure if this has been asked yet - for anyone with II who has competed the pre-interview HIPAA certification, there's no actual quiz right? I'm not sure if I'm doing this whole thing correctly...I only saw a link with a printable certification where I could fill out my name and date (left the Michigan ID section blank). Is there supposed to be an actual quiz somewhere? Or do they just want us to read through their slides and fill out our own certificate?
I don't think theres a quiz, just the certificate which you fill your name in

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have thoughts on if it'd be crazy to call and ask for an extension on the pre-interview forms/essays? The 4 weeks-prior-to-interview deadline turned out to be just a few days after my II on Monday, and I'm traveling for a series of interviews every day until it's due.

I know it says it should only take 30 minutes, but I really don't wanna turn in anything second-rate for a school I love this much... :(

Does anyone have thoughts on if it'd be crazy to call and ask for an extension on the pre-interview forms/essays? The 4 weeks-prior-to-interview deadline turned out to be just a few days after my II on Monday, and I'm traveling for a series of interviews every day until it's due.

I know it says it should only take 30 minutes, but I really don't wanna turn in anything second-rate for a school I love this much... :(
I wouldn't. Just crank them out.
I got a reminder email from them one day before they were due.
Michigan has a 75% interview to offer ratio, so you're already in great standing. Just don't botch these essays and you're likely doing great, especially with an 82 LizzyM.

Michigan has a 75% interview to offer ratio, so you're already in great standing. Just don't botch these essays and you're likely doing great, especially with an 82 LizzyM.
That said, I also had an error on submitting the HIPAA thing, and I was in communication with the office and they seem very kind and understanding. Wouldn't hurt to call :)

You will be busier in medical school than you could ever possibly imagine. Find time and get it done! It would not be an optimal first impression if you asked for an extension.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be busier in medical school than you could ever possibly imagine. Find time and get it done! It would not be an optimal first impression if you asked for an extension.
Thanks for your thoughts, both of you. Now to hope my Megabus wifi pulls through for me this evening...

I also think you should just crank it out. It does take longer than 30 minutes, but it only took me a couple hours bc I tweaked + reused other secondaries.

I wondered the same thing and realized the quiz must be the test-yourself slides on the powerpoint. I think...

Those who have gottn II, did you notice change in status prior to the invite or did it just say FILE COMPLETE?

Those who have gottn II, did you notice change in status prior to the invite or did it just say FILE COMPLETE?
Not sure, I didn't check any portals until I got an invite (Michigan was my first one).

I just dropped off my suit for dry cleaning. It's getting real! (I also had them take it out 1.5 inches haha)

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure, I didn't check any portals until I got an invite (Michigan was my first one).

I just dropped off my suit for dry cleaning. It's getting real! (I also had them take it out 1.5 inches haha)
Best of luck!

Complete 8/3 and silence so far.

Complete without LORs 7/8 but those aren't needed for an II, safe to say I'm not getting one :/

I really hope we all get invites today...it would be a dream come true

Reactions: 10 users
Isn't it kind of late? They usually send them out earlier in the day right?