2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSTP II today!! Complete 7/27

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To those with II's, about how long was the wait between being complete and getting the invite?

I can't speak for others but they seem to be pretty fast. Good luck!
If I recall, Iowa openly states that they do NOT necessarily review apps in chronological order...so a decision could be made the next day, week, or 3 months down the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II! OOS Complete Mid/Early July. GPA 3.8+ MCAT 515+, early November dates available (MWF)

II today, OOS with STRONG Iowa ties. Complete late July

II received on August 16th, completed August 8th. GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 506
Can those with IIs shed light on their stats? Perhaps we'll see a trend
II received on August 16th, completed August 8th. I'm IS, GPA 4.0, MCAT 506, Lizzy M 69

So a committee letter is not suffice? It says in addition to the letter "you may also submit individual letters not to exceed 4 total letters". It makes it sound optional so I'm a little confused.

So a committee letter is not suffice? It says in addition to the letter "you may also submit individual letters not to exceed 4 total letters". It makes it sound optional so I'm a little confused.

Committee is always sufficient. It means exactly what you quoted

I had a similar question so I called them and they told me they only take a total of 4 letters unless there's more letters in your committee letter. My committee letter is composed of 5 letters but it counts since it's under the guise of a single packet. They also said I couldn't send in my 2 other individual letters along with my committee letter

II received today, OOS, dates to schedule are in November

When were you complete? Congrats
My last letter of rec came into CCOM on 8/3, so that's probably the date it went by. Secondary essays were in around 7/24. No Iowa ties for me, WI resident attending MN college, but rural med aspirations.

Does anyone have information about their selection procedure? It has been mentioned that they don't look at final decisions in chronological order, but I was wondering if that means they evaluate everyone that interviews at the end of the interview season. Anyone have info on this?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if we can store our luggage at the interview?

Does Iowa send a confirmation email when you choose an interview date? My friend said she set one up for November, but I'm a worry-wart and can't shake this feeling that she might have missed something and the interview isn't fully set up.

Does Iowa send a confirmation email when you choose an interview date? My friend said she set one up for November, but I'm a worry-wart and can't shake this feeling that she might have missed something and the interview isn't fully set up.
Your friend can log back into the portal to check the date they selected. No email was sent when I selected a date.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long after submitting secondary did you guys have to wait to get interview date?

Can anyone who had an interview here recently be willing to share their experiences? Thank you in advance if you choose to.

Can anyone who had an interview here recently be willing to share their experiences? Thank you in advance if you choose to.
I’ve interviewed here before. The day starts with everyone gathering into a conference room that you’ll spend most of your day. Then people come in to discuss the school, financial aid, and just have a general discussion about anything you feel brave enough to talk about. Everyone is divided into two groups, then lunch, followed by a tour of the hospital (excluding any wards due to HIPPA). Afterwards, one group does a case-based learning exercise, which is really fun (you don’t need to know anything in particular, just have common sense), while the other group begins their interviews. The whole day goes by quickly in my experience.

Reactions: 3 users
You bet! Both schools would be a great landing spot and I'm excited about the future either way.

Would you mind pm-ing me your stats? I'm applying to Des Moines late and would like to know my chances

Would you mind pm-ing me your stats? I'm applying to Des Moines late and would like to know my chances
Sure no problem. You should apply ASAP though, as I'm sure you're aware of the rolling admissions.

II yesterday (super unexpected!) I'm OOS, reapplicant, and was complete 7/19. LizzyM 68.

II Friday! Complete mid-August. OOS, Non-trad reapplicant, LizzyM 74

Congrats! Mind sharing what your mcat was? Any ties to the state, just out of curiosity!
MCAT was 514 (though I do have an old MCAT from a while back that was... much lower). And no ties to the state.

If the interview day ends at 1:30, would it be okay to book a bus to leave at 2:45? Or should I book a later one to be safe?

If the interview day ends at 1:30, would it be okay to book a bus to leave at 2:45? Or should I book a later one to be safe?
I would later just to be safe and that way you have time to gather everything even though you will most likely be done at 1:30. Up to you.

Does anyone know if the max character count for updates is 1500 characters with or without spaces? I'm assuming it's with spaces but was wondering if anyone knows definitively.