2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they occurred at the same place then I put them together. Like if I shadowed at 3 different hospitals total then that was 3 different entries. Then for each of the entries I put the different specialties that I shadowed as part of the description.

Hope that helps :)
Gotcha makes sense, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For the medical experiences question, are you guys putting different shadowing experiences as different slots? Or all together under one? Because besides shadowing and hospital volunteering, I don't have any other medical experiences
I put them all under one. Just listed the different specialties I've shadowed and the total hours.

I'm OOS and still waiting for a secondary from here. It's one of the last one's I'm waiting for..
i broke down and email the school. It turns out they sent me one about two weeks ago, but it never even got to my spam folder. Now I'm glad I asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the diversity question, is it explicitly asking for an obstacle you overcame AND personal characteristics, or can it just be personal characteristics?

What constitutes medically related? Does research count? What if you interacted with patients for part of the research?

What constitutes medically related? Does research count? What if you interacted with patients for part of the research?
I would consider interaction with patients as medically related, regardless of the reason. Try not to sweat everything so much, just do your best. Sometimes we all get lost in the details and I think it can hinder progress. Use your best judgement and it should be fine.

PS: I hope this doesn't come off as rude. I sincerely meant it no such way. I just wanted to iterate that you've made it this far, your judgement is likely sound. If your research has anything to do with medicine, then put it down. I doubt the ADCOMs are going to scrutinize over these very subjective details in the end. But then again, I know nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Submitted my secondary today. In state. I've been told (by someone inside Carver) that I don't have a good enough MCAT to normally warrant an interview from them. Here's hoping!

Submitted my secondary today. In state. I've been told (by someone inside Carver) that I don't have a good enough MCAT to normally warrant an interview from them. Here's hoping!

Can I ask what your MCAT is? MSAR shows they interviewed 329 of the 384 applications they received for IS residents, so I'm wondering how truthful that statement is about not having a good enough MCAT

Can I ask what your MCAT is? MSAR shows they interviewed 329 of the 384 applications they received for IS residents, so I'm wondering how truthful that statement is about not having a good enough MCAT

Oh I didn't know that! That makes me hopeful. I have a 30 (old MCAT).

Reactions: 1 user
Bull. I applied with around that score (on the new test) and got accepted...plus Im out of state. Just apply and hope for the best. Let me know if you have any questions about this school. I literally fell in LOVE with this freakin school.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone get interview notification yet for 2017 - 2018 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)

MSAR says that the Application Review begins August 14th, 2017 so I assume no one would receive one before this time unless the information isn't accurate.

Tomorrow, it begins. Good luck everyone!
You too. Saw you said you've interviewed before, do you know if they predominately front load in state? My sister teaches in Iowa, but I'm OOS.

You too. Saw you said you've interviewed before, do you know if they predominately front load in state? My sister teaches in Iowa, but I'm OOS.
To be honest, I'm unsure how they decide to review applications for II consideration. I have interviewed twice before, in 2014 and 2016. In 2014, I was complete 8-4-14, offered an II on 9-10-14, and interviewed on 10-24-14. In 2016, I was complete 8-24-16, offered an II on 9-19-16, and interviewed 10-24-16. This year, my secondary was marked complete on 7-27-17. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Also, I am IS.

To be honest, I'm unsure how they decide to review applications for II consideration. I have interviewed twice before, in 2014 and 2016. In 2014, I was complete 8-4-14, offered an II on 9-10-14, and interviewed on 10-24-14. In 2016, I was complete 8-24-16, offered an II on 9-19-16, and interviewed 10-24-16. This year, my secondary was marked complete on 7-27-17. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Also, I am IS.
The info still helps, thanks. Do you know if you need all your LoR in before an interview? Still waiting on my medical director to write one, told her 3 months ago...

The info still helps, thanks. Do you know if you need all your LoR in before an interview? Still waiting on my medical director to write one, told her 3 months ago...
I believe so. Only when your whole secondary is marked complete will your app then be reviewed.

II!!!!! First one!!! IS, ~70-72 LizzyM, complete 7/21 Carver is my top choice and I'm so excited!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
II! Made my morning :D

Received 7/14. Complete 7/20. LM ~67. LGBT (mentioned in app)

First II, first post here on SDN.
OOS, LizzyM ~78, Completed 7/24

hmmm interesting, well congrats and goodluck!!

haha well that gives me hope!
Hopefully they evaluate apps in a timely fashion. Complete 8/04 OOS :)

I have a good friend who went to a different IS (IS to me,not IA) school than me and got accepted this past cycle also interview there. She has better stats than me GPA wise tho lol but she has no connection whatsoever to IA either. You can do it!!! :)

II this morning! OOS Lizzy M 76, complete July 20th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview Invitation today! Excited for the opportunity to be a student at this school :banana:

II today!!!! Complete 8/2 IS

II!! OOS Complete 8/11

Reactions: 1 users
II received today! OOS
(Complete 08/02)

Last edited:
II just now, complete 8/7 LM 73, non-trad, OOS

Holy crap admissions is moving quickly and jumping all around

Just going to sit here and pretend not to be irritated at the idea that I haven't heard anything yet at one of my top school choices while so many people completed after me are getting interviews <3

Just going to sit here and pretend not to be irritated at the idea that I haven't heard anything yet at one of my top school choices while so many people completed after me are getting interviews <3

Yep. I know your pain.