2017-2018 University of Chicago (Pritzker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1
"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Our mission statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission.

We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Question 2
Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck applicants! :soexcited:

I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do an additional degree so I am still around to answer questions you may have...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive the secondary yet? Last year they would send them out close to this time pre-verification but I got nothing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive the secondary yet? Last year they would send them out close to this time pre-verification but I got nothing!!

The admissions website currently has information on the 2017-2018 secondary. Including the questions! You can find that information here: 2017-2018 Secondary Questions | Pritzker School of Medicine | The University of Chicago

Highlights:
- "We will send a link to the Secondary Application to every applicant who designates the Pritzker School of Medicine to receive their application through AMCAS. We do not screen prior to sending our Secondary Application."
- "For the 2018 cycle, we will begin sending out links to our electronic Secondary Application to AMCAS verified and unverified applicants on Wednesday, July 5."

And the questions are:

Question 1
"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Our mission statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission.

We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Question 2
Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Edit: Tagging @gyngyn so the prompt can be updated. Thanks for the all the hard work managing the secondaries :D!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The admissions website currently has information on the 2017-2018 secondary. Including the questions! You can find that information here: 2017-2018 Secondary Questions | Pritzker School of Medicine | The University of Chicago

Highlights:
- "We will send a link to the Secondary Application to every applicant who designates the Pritzker School of Medicine to receive their application through AMCAS. We do not screen prior to sending our Secondary Application."
- "For the 2018 cycle, we will begin sending out links to our electronic Secondary Application to AMCAS verified and unverified applicants on Wednesday, July 5."

And the questions are:

Edit: Tagging @gyngyn so the prompt can be updated. Thanks for the all the hard work managing the secondaries :D!
Thank you!

Got one too. Wondering about this part:
"Judicial History
Has any of your previous behavior(s) resulted in any review or action by a judicial committee? Have you ever received an honor code and/or conduct violation at any time while enrolled as a full or part-time student?"

What do they mean by this? Is this referring to only things at school? I got a citation for an open container once (not a crime), and am trying to figure out if I'm supposed to put it or not.

Got one too. Wondering about this part:
"Judicial History
Has any of your previous behavior(s) resulted in any review or action by a judicial committee? Have you ever received an honor code and/or conduct violation at any time while enrolled as a full or part-time student?"

What do they mean by this? Is this referring to only things at school? I got a citation for an open container once (not a crime), and am trying to figure out if I'm supposed to put it or not.

I would say just put it. It seems like they are purposely vague to have you disclose everything

Highlights:

And the questions are:

So, on my Secondary Application, Question #2 has a 550 word limit, not a 400 word limit. Anyone else get the same thing?

EDIT: It looks like there is a discrepancy between their website and the portal. The website says 400 words, while the actual secondary portal says 550 words. I tried calling their office but I went to voicemail. Maybe someone else will have more luck.

Last edited:
Is it okay to write about something from your childhood for the adversity question?

So, on my Secondary Application, Question #2 has a 550 word limit, not a 400 word limit. Anyone else get the same thing?

EDIT: It looks like there is a discrepancy between their website and the portal. The website says 400 words, while the actual secondary portal says 550 words. I tried calling their office but I went to voicemail. Maybe someone else will have more luck.

Final Verdict: I emailed them and got a response. They said to go with the 550 word limit as specified by the portal itself. They have also updated their website to be consistent.

Is anyone else having trouble with the payment? I paid on Wednesday night, but it still hasn't shown up with a checkmark. I got an email saying the payment was accepted, but since the app doesn't reflect that, I can't submit the whole thing. I called the office yesterday, and she said maybe it's just taking a while to process because so many people are paying at the same time, but I don't know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary yesterday and complete today.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble with the payment? I paid on Wednesday night, but it still hasn't shown up with a checkmark. I got an email saying the payment was accepted, but since the app doesn't reflect that, I can't submit the whole thing. I called the office yesterday, and she said maybe it's just taking a while to process because so many people are paying at the same time, but I don't know...
My green checkmark for payment showed up instantly, no processing time or anything, but perhaps I just submitted at a less busy time

I guess so. I have all green checkmarks now, but I never got an official email saying I was complete.
Ok, it somehow just processed the payment, so I was able to submit! I have green checkmarks now and got a confirmation email on submission.

Did anyone else just get an II? I'm kind of worried this is a mistake?

Last edited:
They gave them out very early last year too. Did you get an email?
Yup! It came in an email and it's in their online portal so I guess it's for real! The turnaround from my secondary submission and the II was crazy fast.

Edit: I was complete maybe two days ago? Honestly didn't keep track because I wasn't expecting much to come of it. I'm a URM w high MCAT and low GPA (520/~3.4), so LizzyM comes out to ~70.

Reactions: 5 users
Yup! It came in an email and it's in their online portal so I guess it's for real! The turnaround from my secondary submission and the II was crazy fast.

Edit: I was complete maybe two days ago? Honestly didn't keep track because I wasn't expecting much to come of it. I'm a URM w high MCAT and low GPA (520/~3.4), so LizzyM comes out to ~70.

Are there any available dates you can see for interviews? :angelic:

Dude that's ****ing awesome! Congrats. I saw from last year people were getting II's within like 3-4 days of submission.

Are there any available dates you can see for interviews? :angelic:
Haha of course! All the available dates appear to be mid-late August right now (although I didn't look beyond August). I chose my date already so I can't go back to look, but from what I remember they were 8/15, 8/17, 8/21, 8/22, and 8/24. So plenty of time for more II's to come out before they start!

Thanks to everyone for all the enthusiasm! Hope you all start getting some too!

Reactions: 6 users
How are people tackling the diversity essay? I'm thrown off because it asks about how you will advance the Pritzker mission. I talked about cultural/ethnic diversity and some of the viewpoints I've gained from that. Should I also talk about my extensive research experience? I feel like these are very disjointed.

How are people tackling the diversity essay? I'm thrown off because it asks about how you will advance the Pritzker mission. I talked about cultural/ethnic diversity and some of the viewpoints I've gained from that. Should I also talk about my extensive research experience? I feel like these are very disjointed.

I'm having the same issue and I'm trying to address the "interdisciplinary environment" aspect of their mission rather than touch on all the things mentioned. I also only have about 350 words. Is that bad or will they appreciate me making my point concisely?

I know it was addressed briefly, but what are y'all doing about the judicial committee question? I'm unsure about putting traffic tickets down.

I know it was addressed briefly, but what are y'all doing about the judicial committee question? I'm unsure about putting traffic tickets down.

I'm 100% sure traffic violations don't count... think more along the lines something you'd have to go to court for

Submitted to Chicago this weekend. Fingers crossed. Moving to Chicago and working in Chicago's south side would be an absolute dream...

Good luck to all!

Did anyone actually receive an email confirming their application was complete? I got the email saying they received my secondary application, and in the email it says I will be getting another email when complete. The status on the application portal says I'm complete, so I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten an email confirming?

I submitted yesterday and got a notice of completion email almost immediately after getting that first email saying that they received my secondary.

Weird, on the website I have everything checked off, but no email. I guess I'll give it another couple days and then contact them. Anybody else having a similar issue?
Same here. I was supposedly complete on I think July 7 per their portal but never got an email.

I prewrote my challenging situation essay from the description on their website with 400 words and I'm having trouble adding anything else to it. Has anyone else left their essay around 400?

I prewrote my challenging situation essay from the description on their website with 400 words and I'm having trouble adding anything else to it. Has anyone else left their essay around 400?

You don't need to add filler if your essay is complete. They were generous with their word limits. I didn't go all the way to the limit, and I would guess that some of the readers will appreciate brevity if the questions are fully answered.

Last edited:
I don't you need to add filler if your essay is complete. They were generous with their word limits. I didn't go all the way to the limit, and I would guess that some of the readers will appreciate brevity if the questions are fully answered.
I second that notion ^

Does anyone know how Pritzker usually releases interview offers? Is it a small bunch once a week like some schools?

Just personal opinion but I wouldn't worry about filling the word requirement. If you can provide a compelling answer in fewer words, great!

Every adcom in the country would love to read less words in an app with equal content

Did anyone actually receive an email confirming their application was complete? I got the email saying they received my secondary application, and in the email it says I will be getting another email when complete. The status on the application portal says I'm complete, so I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten an email confirming?

Well I emailed them wondering why I hadn't gotten a confirmation email yet and for some reason they sent me the original secondary invitation email again. So it's probably not an issue if we don't get that confirmation email.

Well I emailed them wondering why I hadn't gotten a confirmation email yet and for some reason they sent me the original secondary invitation email again. So it's probably not an issue if we don't get that confirmation email.
+2. Never got the "complete" email, but I have that checked off on the app. It says my app is ready

II just a couple of hours ago! I submitted my secondary earlier today, so the turnaround time was literally less than 12 hours.

Reactions: 7 users