2017-2018 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@REL would these letters satisfy the requirement?
1. Chemistry Prof
2. Exercise Physiology Prof
3. Biomechanics Prof
4. Lab PI
5. Volunteer Supervisor
6. Academic Peer

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I will be an incoming M1 this year at UCF and couldn't be any more excited about it! After interview day here, UCF shot to the top of my list as my number #1 choice and I think you all will see how impressive of a program it is as well. Obviously since I'm just a brand new student here, I won't be able to help with a bunch of the specifics, but if you have any questions at all, I'll be glad to try and help. Best of luck to all of you this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I will be an incoming M1 this year at UCF and couldn't be any more excited about it! After interview day here, UCF shot to the top of my list as my number #1 choice and I think you all will see how impressive of a program it is as well. Obviously since I'm just a brand new student here, I won't be able to help with a bunch of the specifics, but if you have any questions at all, I'll be glad to try and help. Best of luck to all of you this cycle!
That's so exciting! Congratulations! Are you a Florida resident? What aspect of the school during your interview helped with your decision to choose over other schools?

Quick question about the secondary (its worded unusually): when they ask if we have applied to any MD programs before do they mean at UCF or in general??

Quick question about the secondary (its worded unusually): when they ask if we have applied to any MD programs before do they mean at UCF or in general??

I assumed the 'any' means that the question includes all schools

Reactions: 1 user
That's so exciting! Congratulations! Are you a Florida resident? What aspect of the school during your interview helped with your decision to choose over other schools?
IMO, UCF has a very unique atmosphere and “feel” compared to most other medical schools, and especially the other schools I visited. Being that it is a new school, you can’t stand on the proverbial shoulders of giants like you could if you went to a big name place. (i.e. more established program) Instead, your success is dependent upon you and your own work ethic. That is not to say that UCF hasn’t already established a national reputation because the match lists from the most recent couple classes clearly shows that you can go anywhere you want if you put in the work. But if you are wanting to be challenged and wanting to be pushed to become the absolute best physician you can, I think UCF is the place for you. There wasn’t even a close second when it came to feeling the motivational and inspirational atmosphere of the program compared to all the others I interviewed at. The interview day at UCF was by far and away my most memorable experience during the application/interview process and knowing that I get to join the program as a student myself in 2 weeks is extremely humbling and exciting.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone share the prompts for secondary please? I would sincerely appreciate it!

Can someone share the prompts for secondary please? I would sincerely appreciate it!
  • In this space, describe your anticipated coursework for the academic year.
  • Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, hobbies, and travels, personal interests, interests in the UCF COM, or relationship to Florida, that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application.
  • Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.

@gyngyn

• In this space, describe your anticipated coursework for the academic year.
  • Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, hobbies, and travels, personal interests, interests in the UCF COM, or relationship to Florida, that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application.
  • Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.
@gyngyn

Thank you so much! Is there any character or word limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
The short essay: "Should be NO MORE THAN two pages, single spaced, with one inch margins."
AAAAHHH I just realized my essay is like one sentence longer than the page limit.... but since the website didn't cut me off, I didn't pay attention. Is this a fatal error? I feel like crying right now :( just realized.

AAAAHHH I just realized my essay is like one sentence longer than the page limit.... but since the website didn't cut me off, I didn't pay attention. Is this a fatal error? I feel like crying right now :( just realized.

Honestly, don't sweat it. Can't imagine a sentence will do that much harm lol

Honestly, don't sweat it. Can't imagine a sentence will do that much harm lol
Ok, thank you! I actually just realized that if you put it in 10 font, Im fine lol. I was having a heart attack. The instructions say 10 or 12 font ..

Very interested in this school. Hope we see some updates soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW (7/28/17)

Submitted secondary 7/13/17

So excited!!

Reactions: 6 users
AORTA as well! Good luck everyone!

Same! This essentially means we made it past first review and now they'll re look at our application weekly to see if they want to send an interview?

Same! This essentially means we made it past first review and now they'll re look at our application weekly to see if they want to send an interview?
Exactly. It'll say AORTA until we're interviewed or denied.

Yeah I'm wondering what it means as well

Does AORTA necessarily mean we're in a good spot or just that we're being reviewed?
It means that we meet the minimum requirements to be interviewed, which includes required course work, an mcat of 500, etc. I wouldn't interpret it as us being in a good spot, it just means we're eligible to continue in the process by meeting minimum requirements.

Commenting to get clarification on what AORTA stands for.

Commenting to get clarification on what AORTA stands for.
AORTA itself stands for "Admissions Office Review Team for Applications" and Eligible For Interview means this team has put your application into a pool to be considered on a weekly basis for interview selection.

Their "file complete" email which I received on the 14th of this month said :

"
An Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) will begin a full review of your entire application to consider you for an interview; files that meet or exceed our minimum 3.0 GPA and 24/500 MCAT requirements will be fully reviewed. We will carefully look for the broad diversity of motivations, talents, and skills that we desire for the members of the next class. We anticipate that this review may take up to 10-15 business days to complete. The result of the individual AORTA review will be either "eligible for interview selection" (EFI) or "not competitive" for an interview.

"EFI," Eligible for Interview Selection Status means your file will be reviewed on a weekly basis as interview groups are constructed throughout the September-March interview season. We will continuously review the EFI pool of applicants and construct interview groups of 12-16 applicants. Once constructed, the Admissions Office will contact each member via telephone/email to negotiate a date for their interview visit. Normally, those we invite to interview will have at least 3 weeks advance notice. Once we have come to an agreement on the date of the interview visit, we will send you an interview confirmation EMAIL that will provide an agenda, directions, and overnight hotel or student home-stay information. It should be noted that the EFI pool will become large and not all will receive an interview invitation. "

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! This is my #1 choice for medical school, and I'm a reapplicant to this school after not receiving an interview last year. I'm a GA resident, but I've worked in FL for 3 years and my family lives in Orlando. My sister just bought a house in Clermont, and she's going to have her first baby soon. Needles to say, I REALLY want to go to UCF and be near my family for these milestone events, along with the fact that the school facilities and reputation is amazing.

Does anyone have advice on how to make myself look appealing as an out of state applicant? I have full intentions of trying to match in Florida, and practice there as well once my residency is over, and I know that is part of UCF's mission. Thanks for any advice!

Just make sure to be as honest as possible in the secondary essay! Illustrate your genuine desire to study/practice in Florida like you did here. You have 2 pages to make them believe you!

Hey everyone! This is my #1 choice for medical school, and I'm a reapplicant to this school after not receiving an interview last year. I'm a GA resident, but I've worked in FL for 3 years and my family lives in Orlando. My sister just bought a house in Clermont, and she's going to have her first baby soon. Needles to say, I REALLY want to go to UCF and be near my family for these milestone events, along with the fact that the school facilities and reputation is amazing.

Does anyone have advice on how to make myself look appealing as an out of state applicant? I have full intentions of trying to match in Florida, and practice there as well once my residency is over, and I know that is part of UCF's mission. Thanks for any advice!
I agree with the above. In those 2 pages, I would mention your family and your desire to settle down long-term as a practicing physician in Florida. Luckily, UCF's secondary gives you 2 pages to express all of those things!

You are done. Sorry.

Perhaps a silly question, but is question 8 on the secondary regarding MCAT strictly a percentage or are they looking for us to elaborate?

Perhaps a silly question, but is question 8 on the secondary regarding MCAT strictly a percentage or are they looking for us to elaborate?
I believe the word count only allows for enough space to list percentages.

@REL Should I mention here Why UCF COM here? What would be the word count limit here then?

@REL Should I mention here Why UCF COM here? What would be the word count limit here then?
That certainly is an option for this space if it is not already something that you included in your essay at the end of the secondary app.

Got an update:

AORTA - Eligable for interview selection.... etc.

Don't know if this is a slightly good thing or a really good thing. It could also mean nothing

But it's definitely not a bad thing.

@REL I'm a non-trad applicant and wondered if these letters would satisfy the requirement

1. Undergraduate Chemistry professor
2. Undergraduate Math professor
3. Undergraduate French professor
4. Work supervisor
5. PhD advisor

(I'm also OOS so I don't know if I'd even have a chance to begin with)

@REL I'm a non-trad applicant and wondered if these letters would satisfy the requirement

4. Work supervisor
5. PhD advisor

I emailed about my letters and they were very helpful. Definitely ask! It sounds like you are fine.

Got an update:

AORTA - Eligable for interview selection.... etc.

Don't know if this is a slightly good thing or a really good thing. It could also mean nothing

But it's definitely not a bad thing.

+1 exciting to know our app is moving forward. I'd go with slightly good. We made the first screen.

4. Work supervisor
5. PhD advisor

Should be acceptable. Good luck!

Question- do you think it'd be worth it for me to apply here? I'm almost done with everywhere else I applied but still cant decide to apply here.

Im OOS, but I did a summer program at USF once summer so I have slight connection to FL I guess
I see on MSAR 94% have research. I have 3500hrs, multiple national/international abstracts, one first author pub, current lab manager position at top 3 hospital.
515 MCAT- 128/128/131/128
Only issues is I have a 3.3cGPA and 3.25sGPA (2.7 first two years and 3.67 final two)

Thanks for the help, I know my GPA will probably ruin my chances.

Question- do you think it'd be worth it for me to apply here? I'm almost done with everywhere else I applied but still cant decide to apply here.

Im OOS, but I did a summer program at USF once summer so I have slight connection to FL I guess
I see on MSAR 94% have research. I have 3500hrs, multiple national/international abstracts, one first author pub, current lab manager position at top 3 hospital.
515 MCAT- 128/128/131/128
Only issues is I have a 3.3cGPA and 3.25sGPA (2.7 first two years and 3.67 final two)

Thanks for the help, I know my GPA will probably ruin my chances.
It would depend upon your consistency of med vol, comm svc vol, and teamwork -- these are biggies --- helps up to create a collaborative and supportive classroom of peers.

@REL Does the "AORTA - EFI" just mean the application has passed a preliminary screen for basic academic metrics, or is it a rather extensive review of all aspects of the application?

I apologize if this information is not typically shared. I figured I would ask though.

Thank you!