2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay! I contacted admissions and they told me to say yes since I'm fluent. :)

I should hope so!!! I mean, you clearly can speak and understand better than someone with one year of college spanish ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Finally submitted my secondary!

Reactions: 2 users
[QUOTING ]Maybe a stupid question, but does UCLA send complete e-mails?

I got an email including this: "This email serves as confirmation of receipt of your supplemental application. At this time, your application will be reviewed by Admissions screeners." And then in the portal, under Status/Document Status, I could see that all my letters were in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you estimate future hours too or just put your current hours?

I estimated future hours. I also used a couple sentences mentioning that I was continuing the paid work experience into the next year and what I planned to accomplish during that time.

Also for these 2 questions

1. Estimate educational loan indebtedness at graduation from college (not including medical school):

2. Estimate your consumer debt at graduation from college

What is included in "consumer debt?" What should I put if I paid off all my student loans? Should I put 0 for question 1?

I contacted admissions about these. Include your student loans at graduation - note somewhere if you paid them off. I'm not entirely certain about what is included in consumer debt, but I would probably include car loans and credit card debt.

hmm ok so if I pay off my credit card each month and don't have a car, then my consumer debt=my student loans? Also idk where to say that I paid off my student loans because it only lets me enter a number in that box.

Don't include student debt in consumer loans (assuming you aren't, but just in case). I think they want those separate. One of my essays was about paying off my loans, so that wasn't an issue for me. You could simply email them and say you included your student loans at graduation, but have since paid them off. Good luck!

For the most important volunteering question, I designated one of my volunteering experiences on my primary application as most meaningful. Would it be appropriate to copy and paste that essay for this question or should I reword it a bit?
I'd take every opportunity I could to give them new information, unless you are super pressed for time.

For the most important volunteering question, I designated one of my volunteering experiences on my primary application as most meaningful. Would it be appropriate to copy and paste that essay for this question or should I reword it a bit?

I would stay consistent with you primary and talk about the same activity, but I would choose to focus on another aspect of the activity or at least reword what you already said.

its been a while since i last checked on this thread, but has there been any II sent out yet?
It looks like many of the CA schools are a little behind schedule—actually, I think many schools are adjusting to an increasingly large and increasingly competitive applicant pool. Especially for CA schools, which already receive >10,000 apps per year, this year's pace is going to be a week or two behind, I think.

I'm interested to see how matriculant stats have changed, and how many more (or less, I guess, though unlikely) people applied this year!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this sounds dumb but would it be insincere to list one year of high school Spanish as fulfilling the Spanish competency? I honestly do not remember much from the class thanks to two teachers quitting in a row...

I know this sounds dumb but would it be insincere to list one year of high school Spanish as fulfilling the Spanish competency? I honestly do not remember much from the class thanks to two teachers quitting in a row...
Has to be college level unless youre fluent. At least that is my understanding.

From what I got when I spoke to admissions is that you can say yes, as long as you are confident in your Spanish. My advice is call admissions to verify for yourself :)

Also, what percent of all applicants get the secondary?

Crap this is the only school where I didn't submit my LOR as soon as I got invited to the secondary. I wrote to them and they said submitting 6 LOR is okay, but that there's no guarantee my readers will get to all of them.

So, I submitted them a day after I submitted my secondary (thankfully AMCAS send me an email about it).

I keep checking the portal but they're not marked as received yet. Anyone care to share how long they noticed it took for their portal to be updated with the LORs? Thanks!

Crap this is the only school where I didn't submit my LOR as soon as I got invited to the secondary. I wrote to them and they said submitting 6 LOR is okay, but that there's no guarantee my readers will get to all of them.

So, I submitted them a day after I submitted my secondary (thankfully AMCAS send me an email about it).

I keep checking the portal but they're not marked as received yet. Anyone care to share how long they noticed it took for their portal to be updated with the LORs? Thanks!
Mine was updated the next day. Maybe call UCLA tomorrow and ask about what's going on? Maybe they have it processed and just forgot to update your portal or something. :)

I just realized UCLA doesn't send any offer of admissions until January 15th at the earliest. It's better to just sit back, worry about other schools, and put UCLA at the back of our minds for the time being lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I just realized UCLA doesn't send any offer of admissions until January 15th at the earliest. It's better to just sit back, worry about other schools, and put UCLA at the back of our minds for the time being lol.
Ihhhnnnn ionno, I still want that interview asap

Is anyone else getting a "500 error. Oops, something has gone wrong. We have been notified and will be working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience." when trying to log into their secondary application portal?

Is anyone else getting a "500 error. Oops, something has gone wrong. We have been notified and will be working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience." when trying to log into their secondary application portal?
Yes I just tried to login and got the same error. It's not just you :)

Got this error around 11:55 pm yesterday when I was about to finish my secondary :/ Just tried to log in from work and it's still not up and running. All I had left was tax info!!!!!! I hope they fix it soon because my app is due later today *fingers crossed*

Website is back up :)

Got this error around 11:55 pm yesterday when I was about to finish my secondary :/ Just tried to log in from work and it's still not up and running. All I had left was tax info!!!!!! I hope they fix it soon because my app is due later today *fingers crossed*
"Due later today" meaning you're about to hit the one month mark?

Have any II been given out recently? Just curious.

Finally got my secondary.... Hopefully it's not too late!

So.... do you need to know Spanish to get into UCLA or is it ok if you don't, but are willing to learn some over my gap year. I marked no on my application and am worried this is a deal breaker, but I love the school !

So.... do you need to know Spanish to get into UCLA or is it ok if you don't, but are willing to learn some over my gap year. I marked no on my application and am worried this is a deal breaker, but I love the school !

They state that it's not a requirement. I imagine it helps, but not knowing it isn't a deal breaker. That said, what are other people's favorite apps/learning tools/etc. for either learning or brushing up on a language? I'm brushing up on my spanish with Duolingo, but I wouldn't mind finding something a little more formal.

Reactions: 1 users
They state that it's not a requirement. I imagine it helps, but not knowing it isn't a deal breaker. That said, what are other people's favorite apps/learning tools/etc. for either learning or brushing up on a language? I'm brushing up on my spanish with Duolingo, but I wouldn't mind finding something a little more formal.
I'm using Doulingo as well!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm using Doulingo as well!!

My biggest pet peeve is that I accidentally started using it late at night, and now the reminders come in after I've gone to bed. I think I need to set up my own reminders as I keep forgetting to use it. I tested out of the first section as "20% fluent." No idea what that means, but I am definitely in a section where I don't know words at this point.

yeah i havent looked at it in a bit. Hope no school grills it during interviews. We have the whole year !!

yeah i havent looked at it in a bit. Hope no school grills it during interviews. We have the whole year !!

For sure! Even if I get an interview (haha) at UCLA, it likely won't be for some time, so I hope to at least be back to my usual level by then. My problem is I took Italian while abroad, so I'll start speaking in very elementary Spanish, then end in very elementary Italian. I definitely confuse the two often.

For sure! Even if I get an interview (haha) at UCLA, it likely won't be for some time, so I hope to at least be back to my usual level by then. My problem is I took Italian while abroad, so I'll start speaking in very elementary Spanish, then end in very elementary Italian. I definitely confuse the two often.
Yeah I took a wierd year long reading in italian class in college and the languages are so similar haha.... I don't know much Italian from the class but it still interferes with my memory hard since I'm trying to learn basics.

Hey guys, do you know if it looks bad if you go past the 30 day deadline and ask for an extension? I've paid the fee and filled everything out except for one part.

II today by phone? They called me, I thought it was a prank, but then it turned out not to be a prank, I laughed, then I was like WTF. Then I scheduled it for very soon. AAHHHHHAHAHAHH

Edit: just got an email confirming that this was not a prank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
II today by phone? They called me, I thought it was a prank, but then it turned out not to be a prank, I laughed, then I was like WTF. Then I scheduled it for very soon. AAHHHHHAHAHAHH
Congratulations!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! Stats and complete date?

Has anyone been able to reach them by phone? I have called many times a day for many days now with no luck. I'm calling to ask about my LORs to see why almost two weeks later they haven't been received yet.

Has anyone been able to reach them by phone? I have called many times a day for many days now with no luck. I'm calling to ask about my LORs to see why almost two weeks later they haven't been received yet.

I called them last week to ask them about the status of my secondary (hadn't received it for a month). They said they only take email requests. Might be worth a shot :

[email protected]