2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you have to approach the work experience summary differently than from what was written in the primary?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I'll get II but just submitted my secondary. Low stats as well (LM 64) and OOS.
You must have something else going for you, so I wouldn't give up hope. They screen pretty heavily so just getting a secondary means at least something.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary submitted - best of luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how accurate the parent's assets/applicant's assets and my liabilities have to be? Cuss I never made enough to file taxes and never bothered to. Do I have to ask my parents for their tax returns or can I estimate it?

I spoke w/ someone in admissions and they said an estimate was more than okay. :)

Just submitted my secondary. Good luck everyone!

@dapperdoc Whenever I see you post something, I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to rewatch Scrubs. But it's no longer on Netflix. :(

@dapperdoc Whenever I see you post something, I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to rewatch Scrubs. But it's no longer on Netflix. :(

I didn't have the desire to rewatch Scrubs until I read "It's no longer on netflix."

Reactions: 6 users
That moment when you reply to a school thread and then check SDN 10 minutes later:

1) Oh look "insert school name here" got bumped, maybe they're giving IIs out!
2) You were the last reply

Reactions: 3 users
Would uploading a pdf of my research poster be appropriate for the document upload section?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all essay prompts required?

Looking through the prompts again, I can't think of a situation where the prompt doesn't apply to a person. Except for the scholarly project one but arguably if you don't have research experience you can talk about the most intensive/rewarding project you've done for a class.

For the most important honor question, would it be bad if I listed an award that I also put down in my primary application and talked about in my personal statement?

Anyone submit more than 5 LORs? Especially interested if anyone reached out to the office to ask about this. Thanks!

Still haven't gotten a secondary....What is the screening process like for the secondary??

"Please list any major paid work experience during or since college."
Isn't this basically what is on our activity sheet?
For the description part, it would be bad if I wrote the same thing right?
How are you guys go about writing it. I think I'm so drained writing after 20 or more essays by now...

For the description part, it would be bad if I wrote the same thing right?
How are you guys go about writing it. I think I'm so drained writing after 20 or more essays by now...

I just relisted my paid experiences from my AMCAS to this. The descriptions were pretty much the same. I didn't copy/paste, but I did just rewrite my responsibilities and duties.

You must have something else going for you, so I wouldn't give up hope. They screen pretty heavily so just getting a secondary means at least something.

Thanks! Lets hope. And same to you...goodluck

Finally submitted! Now I can binge watch GoT season 3 in peace :soexcited:

I think for some applicants it is; others (perhaps nontrads, like me) could have filled up the entire list with paid work so we did not list every job. Also they may just want to have your work experiences translated into their preferred format vs. the AMCAS format. Try not to overthink it.

I messed up on that section, I only listed the newest paid experience since i graduated. Should I email them?

Just submitted the secondary... here's to hoping that the UCLA screening process is legit and means they are interested. Could have bought a lot of matcha lattes with that $95 app fee.

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted the secondary... here's to hoping that the UCLA screening process is legit and means they are interested. Could have bought a lot of matcha lattes with that $95 app fee.
was there an answer on how many get secondaires?

From what I have seen around I believe only around half of those who apply receive secondaries

was there an answer on how many get secondaires?
In previous years, it's been about 1/3 of applicants. However there's no telling if screening has stayed the same or has become more lax.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my secondary! But my letters of rec aren't processed yet (assigned on Friday...big mistake), how badly will this hurt my chances if the letters of rec keep me from being complete by Labor Day?

For the gap in education question, they are just asking if you're taking a gap year correct? I graduated in May 2016 and am doing research until matriculation. I just didn't want to be repetitive if I have to list my work experience again later on in the secondary when it asks for paid work.

Also for the most important honor, I was planning on putting an All-American award there, but was unsure if they wanted something "scholastic"?

Just submitted my secondary! But my letters of rec aren't processed yet (assigned on Friday...big mistake), how badly will this hurt my chances if the letters of rec keep me from being complete by Labor Day?
Being complete a couple days earlier or later won't dramatic affect your chance... at least statistically I don't think so

So I just got my secondary... and oh my goodness... 300 characters to explain what I did during my gap year? That's nowhere near enough to cover everything. Is anyone else having a hard time with this prompt??

So I just got my secondary... and oh my goodness... 300 characters to explain what I did during my gap year? That's nowhere near enough to cover everything. Is anyone else having a hard time with this prompt??

I think I could write just the names of my positions in one long run-on word and still take more than 300 characters... (I'm almost 15 years out)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

300 characters was quite tough!

I just submitted. This was my last secondary of this cycle. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted! Now officially done with secondaries (unless UC Davis decides to send me one)

Just submitted! Now officially done with secondaries (unless UC Davis decides to send me one)

Grats! That's such a relief isn't it. You'll get that Ucd !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you guys get this email after secondary completion: "Thank you for your application to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. This email serves as confirmation of receipt of your supplemental application. At this time, your application will be reviewed by Admissions screeners. Should you be invited to interview with our medical school, we will send you a follow up invitation email with details." Is this a second screen or is their initial pre-secondary screen more lax??

Any current students willing to look over my secondary responses? Any help would be appreciated!

Did you guys get this email after secondary completion: "Thank you for your application to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. This email serves as confirmation of receipt of your supplemental application. At this time, your application will be reviewed by Admissions screeners. Should you be invited to interview with our medical school, we will send you a follow up invitation email with details." Is this a second screen or is their initial pre-secondary screen more lax??

I got that email minutes after submitting so I think it's a generic response for everyone that submits a secondary.

I got this as well, even though my app wasn't complete (waiting for LORs to be processed).

It isn't letting me certify and submit the application because I have not completed the PRIME supplemental, even though I did not click the checkboxes to indicate that I am interested in being considered for the program. Anyone else having this issue?

I applied to PRIME Drew in my primary, but I am no longer interested in the program. Does this mean I have no choice but to apply now?

Last edited:
It isn't letting me certify and submit the application because I have not completed the PRIME supplemental, even though I did not click the checkboxes to indicate that I am interested in being considered for the program. Anyone else having this issue?

I applied to PRIME Drew in my primary, but I am no longer interested in the program. Does this mean I have no choice but to apply now?

I had the same issue, and was told to change the program on AMCAS, then submit the secondary with "N/A" or something similar for the PRIME specific responses. The person I talked to on the phone was super nice about it, but emphasized changing the designation on AMCAS before submitting, otherwise it'll end up in the PRIME pile when they review applications.

I had the same issue, and was told to change the program on AMCAS, then submit the secondary with "N/A" or something similar for the PRIME specific responses. The person I talked to on the phone was super nice about it, but emphasized changing the designation on AMCAS before submitting, otherwise it'll end up in the PRIME pile when they review applications.

Thank you! I just changed it from "Combined Medical Degree" to "Regular M.D." under DGSOM. Is it cool to submit right away or am I supposed to wait a bit?

Thank you! I just changed it from "Combined Medical Degree" to "Regular M.D." under DGSOM. Is it cool to submit right away or am I supposed to wait a bit?

I think you should probably be fine, as long as you don't submit like the same minute? I submitted relatively soon after, but I also don't have an acceptance in hand yet so :shrug:

I think you should probably be fine, as long as you don't submit like the same minute? I submitted relatively soon after, but I also don't have an acceptance in hand yet so :shrug:

Alright. I'm gonna call tomorrow just to make sure I'm doing it all right. Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that they're okay with people changing their minds.

Does this school screen before sending out secondaries? Trying not to get too overly excited after submitting mine last week.

Does this school screen before sending out secondaries? Trying not to get too overly excited after submitting mine last week.
Only about half of the applicants gets a secondary

Have they started sending out interview invitations yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile