2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! I am a current MS2 here, and will also be checking in throughout this application cycle. I am happy to answer any questions about the school, student life, and my experience so far.

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Possible silly Q here...

How does UA-P define "Inclusive Excellence"? I am trying to fill out this secondary, but I haven't been able to find something that talks about how they specifically define it... (the prompt makes me think it's more than a 'regular' emphasis on diversity!)

Thanks.

Hey guys! I'm on a research month this month so I can get to your questions a bit easier and faster until the end of August so feel free to shoot me anything.

@JKetlerP You could email admissions if you wish. I could give you my opinion but that would be a question better answered by them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix values its culture, curriculum, and the community it serves. Which aspect(s) do you value the most? (required, 350 words max)

How have the last 12–18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine? (required, 350 words max)

UA College of Medicine – Phoenix, in part, defines diversity as “Inclusive Excellence”. How will you add value – in these terms – to our learning community? (required, 350 words max)

What else should the Admissions Committee know about you? Note: please do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above. (required, 350 words max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Just wanted to clarify the first prompt... Is it asking for what aspects listed (culture, curriculum, and community) I value the most? Or any aspect of my life that I value the most?

Thank you! :)

Just wanted to clarify the first prompt... Is it asking for what aspects listed (culture, curriculum, and community) I value the most? Or any aspect of my life that I value the most?

Thank you! :)

This. I was also a little uncertain about the wording. It almost seems like it is asking which aspect of the school's "mission" I value the most but I get the feeling they likely want to know which values I hold in highest regard in my own life.

This. I was also a little uncertain about the wording. It almost seems like it is asking which aspect of the school's "mission" I value the most but I get the feeling they likely want to know which values I hold in highest regard in my own life.

Good point...the only thing is that if it's talking about your own life, how would curriculum be relevant?

I kinda read it as saying essentially, "these are our values, what are yours?" But, this is why I want to hear your opinions... because I am entirely unsure.

Last edited:
I kinda read it as saying essentially, "these are our values, what are yours?" But, this is why I want to hear your opinions... because I am entirely unsure.

I actually talked about two of the three values they mention and which ones I prioritize in a medical education. Giving reasons to support my decision.

For those interested in learning more about the school's mission and core values, I would suggest going to their website and reading more: Mission Statement

I think you can interpret that prompt either way. Or as several others mentioned, you can tie in your values with those of the school. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture here: the secondary prompts are a way for the Admissions Committee to learn more about you as a person (beyond MCAT scores, GPA, etc), so utilize that space to do so!

If you are still unsure, email or call the Admissions office. They are very nice and will get back to you quickly.

Per the admissions tracker, looks like they are starting to send out IIs (at least for in state).

Members don't see this ad :)
In state here. Plz send me love UofA...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, this is a late reply but maybe you're still working on it or others will find it helpful.

I saw from last year's thread that each secondary question this year maps to a question from last year, e.g., this year asks, "How have the last 12-18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine?" and last year asked, "I feel that the last 12-18 months have confirmed my desire to pursue a career in medicine because..." Last year also had "diversity" and "what else?" questions.

So you have this year: "The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix values its culture, curriculum, and the community it serves. Which aspect(s) do you value the most?"

And last year: "I believe I fit within the UA COM - Phoenix culture because..."

Which made me take this year's version as, "Which aspects of our culture, curriculum and community do you value the most?" - basically, a "Why UA Phoenix?" question, in line with last year.

My two cents. As others have said, there's no wrong answer, so long as you are revealing traits and values that make you a good fit for the school.

Reactions: 1 users
my primary app was verified at the beginning of July and this is the only school I haven't heard from about a secondary (yes, been checking my spam folder). Is it advisable to reach out the the admissions department about that?

my primary app was verified at the beginning of July and this is the only school I haven't heard from about a secondary (yes, been checking my spam folder). Is it advisable to reach out the the admissions department about that?
I would! It certainly doesn't hurt and the admissions department is friendly. I was in a similar situation with another school- it was a good thing that I called, because they somehow missed me. I received a secondary the same day!

Did you use a hotmail? If so they likely sent it and it was never received (happened to me), and you'll have to get them a different email. If you don't have a hotmail, kindly disregard this message :)

I wonder when OOS IIs will be sent out?

Reactions: 2 users
519 MCAT, 3.75 GPA, traditional, not URM

Stats? URM? Non trad?
OOS currently, got academically dismissed from u of a Tucson in 2011 for a 0.74gpa, 3.56 sGPA 3.22 oGPA, 508 MCAT. Current lead trauma ER RN at level 1 trauma center out of state

Reactions: 5 users
Processed and received the secondary today!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who received a II, how long did it take from the date your application was placed as under review?

For those who received a II, how long did it take from the date your application was placed as under review?
Mine was completed and under review on 7/12. So a little over a month for me

I have absolutely no ties to the state LizzyM of 69. Do I even have a chance with filling out the secondary?

I'm unsure!
You can see my stats on one of my threads if you want!
I looked at msar 189 OOS Interviews leading to 23 acceptances.
Make sure you fit their mission.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

rejected here today! OOS no ties to the state

Sorry for the rejections :( When were you guys complete?

I noticed that there is a checkmark next to "app under review" under my status tab now. How long did it take for everyone to get a hold, II, or rejection after the file was reviewed?

Rejected today. OOS no ties. 511 one time mcat score and 3.9sgpa and cGPA.

Hello, sorry to hear about the rejections! I am trying to track this info for SDN users with an anonymous survey, please fill it out!
2017-2018 Rejection survey

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Here is the link to the results! Feel free to post these links elsewhere in other school threads as well 2017-2018 Rejection Survey Data

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks for putting this together! Any way to switch "University of California" to "UC" so the full school names will show? All I can see is "University of California..." for each one, at least in Safari.

I'm a in-state re-applicant (submitted primary but chose to not finish secondaries last cycle). I feel like the question "How have the last 12–18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine?" is very similar to the personal statement prompt of "why do you want to go medical school." I had written extensively on my newer experiences in my personal statement so I'm afraid of repeating the same things here. Am I interpreting this question correctly...?

I'm a in-state re-applicant (submitted primary but chose to not finish secondaries last cycle). I feel like the question "How have the last 12–18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine?" is very similar to the personal statement prompt of "why do you want to go medical school." I had written extensively on my newer experiences in my personal statement so I'm afraid of repeating the same things here. Am I interpreting this question correctly...?
Do you have any new information regarding that experience you think would answer that question that isn't in your personal statement? If so, you could use that.