2017-2018 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My buddy said it best, there are two types of people in the army....finance.....and those we pay!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That is spot on. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just letting everyone know that I received a complete email today and I submitted everything by 7/2/17. I also did not ask for a complete email so it seems that they will send them out anyway. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just letting everyone know that I received a complete email today and I submitted everything by 7/2/17. I also did not ask for a complete email so it seems that they will send them out anyway. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for posting, I was actually just wondering if anyone had received a "complete" e-mail. I submitted not long after you so hopefully I'll get one soon!

Also received a complete email. Submitted 7/3 but LORs aren't in yet.

Just a minor question on the character/word limit for the USUHS Secondaries. It says on one of their PDFs that there is a 200 word maximum. However, on the Google Form when you actually submit it online, there's a 1300 character limit. Should we abide by the shorter one (which would most likely end up being the 200 word maximum)?

Does anyone know what the usual total applicant pool statistics are for USUHS? (not the accepted stats not acceptance rate, I found those online).

Just a minor question on the character/word limit for the USUHS Secondaries. It says on one of their PDFs that there is a 200 word maximum. However, on the Google Form when you actually submit it online, there's a 1300 character limit. Should we abide by the shorter one (which would most likely end up being the 200 word maximum)?
I stuck with what was on the online form which actually worked with two of my essays but I had to cut down on one of them to meet the limit. Didn't want a minor issue of length to hurt my concluding sentence.

Does anyone know what the usual total applicant pool statistics are for USUHS? (not the accepted stats not acceptance rate, I found those online).
Applicant ~3000 interview about 600 and 300 offers made for 171 spots. probably not what you were looking for huh? Just realized that. I don't know what the average applicant stats are. The MSAR gives ranges for gpa and mcat though. 10th percentile gpa is 3.33 and 3.23 sgpa. 10th percentile MCAT is 503. Didn't really answeer your question

Last edited:
Applicant ~3000 interview about 600 and 300 offers made for 171 spots. probably not what you were looking for huh? Just realized that. I don't know what the average applicant stats are. The MSAR gives ranges for gpa and mcat though. 10th percentile gpa is 3.33 and 3.23 sgpa. 10th percentile MCAT is 503. Didn't really answeer your question
Not exactly, thank you though. I have the percentiles from MSAR but they only have it for accepted and matriculated students unfortunately.

Just trying to run some stats on acceptance chances from comparing the two distributions and I just can't find the average GPAs and MCAT scores of the total or rejected pools.

Hey Everyone, I'm applying to USU this cycle and I'm working on the essays. For the third essay, essay prompt above, I was wondering if anyone had some advice. It says to talk about a quality or experience that can help you relate to the military and veteran population. I'm at a loss for what to put. I've had some struggles in my life, but nothing exceptional. I've never done or experience anything that could compare to what veterans have gone through and I feel like it is arrogant to even try. How are you all approaching this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I'm applying to USU this cycle and I'm working on the essays. For the third essay, essay prompt above, I was wondering if anyone had some advice. It says to talk about a quality or experience that can help you relate to the military and veteran population. I'm at a loss for what to put. I've had some struggles in my life, but nothing exceptional. I've never done or experience anything that could compare to what veterans have gone through and I feel like it is arrogant to even try. How are you all approaching this question?
Do you have any family members that served? My dad served for decades and then was medically discharged

Do you have any family members that served? My dad served for decades and then was medically discharged
H_Scheck has a good point. Really any exposure to military medicine will help. I personally haven't had a lot in college since I'm not ROTC but I began with some from earlier and went into a bunch of civilian exposure to diversity in medicine that I could compare and contrast.

still haven't received a completion email yet!
Has your app been verified by amcas? I called USUHS yesterday and they were able to confirm that they had my secondary and everything except for my primary since it just hadn't been verified. Once that happens, according to my recruiter, then the app will be reviewed.

Has your app been verified by amcas? I called USUHS yesterday and they were able to confirm that they had my secondary and everything except for my primary since it just hadn't been verified. Once that happens, according to my recruiter, then the app will be reviewed.

Mmm yeah, it has been. I was verified June 6th, submitted secondary on July 2nd, waiting ever since! It's just a matter of waiting and doing my profile picture jig to pass the time i guess :)

My grandfather fought in WWII and my grandmother was an army nurse. They both died before I was born. My uncle was in the navy, but we're not super close. I have ancestors who fought in the civil war and the revolutionary war.

That was a nerve-wracking secondary. The questions seemed so straightforward that they could either be two sentences or two pages. Tough to find a 200 word middle ground.

I'd like to remind you (and everyone) that this school isn't just for those who have connections to the military. Everyone starts from somewhere and USU can be where you start to serve. It is OK if you don't have any direct experiences in connection to the military, but the military doesn't have a monopoly on leadership, a sense of duty, or commitment. You've experienced challenge; you've tasted defeat and victory. Share what you've learned, and most importantly, share why you think those lessons help you contribute to the team.

Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
If we've submitted the secondary but are either taking or retaking the MCAT (and noted that on AMCAS), will they hold off on reviewing and/or sending interview invites?

Schools tend to not review your application for a potential interview until your application is complete. I'm sure if your previous MCAT is higher than their cutoff then you will still get an interview even if you're retaking the test.

Where would be a good starting point for someone with no prior military service or knowledge of military medicine to learn about it and make an honest answer for the secondary questions?

Where would be a good starting point for someone with no prior military service or knowledge of military medicine to learn about it and make an honest answer for the secondary questions?

Google and YouTube are wonderful tools! Also, check out the medical websites for the various branches of service you are interested in.

If you know anyone in the military or ex-military, medical field or not, try to pick their brain. Ask them what they liked, didn't like, why they joined, etc. Think about why you're interested in the military in general, not just medical school.

Did anyone else have an issue with receiving their secondary + any info to their email? Their AdCom said it was sent to me 6/30 but I haven't received it... so I just submitted a secondary using the link from Google. Worried that it might affect my chances..

"Application Complete" email yesterday. Praying for that II.

Medicine + The Military

Ask questions to physicians and military members you know. It doesn't have to be a military physician, but chances are if you email admissions, they can put you in touch with someone. Try to specify a branch and specialty if you can.

IIs should be coming pretty soon right? Just checked out last year's thread and they went out around this time

IIs should be coming pretty soon right? Just checked out last year's thread and they went out around this time

Last year's application cycle opened up earlier though, so I think we might be hearing back starting a little later maybe around July 28th. That is when 15-16 started hearing back and their cycle opened June 30th too

I just received an email concerning my application. They requested some information, so it appears like things are getting close.

I just received an email concerning my application. They requested some information, so it appears like things are getting close.
Same here. Asked for clarification of some negative aspects of my application. Hopefully my response will smooth things over. At least they didn't straight reject. Ha ha

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck all! Just got rejected. I have a medical condition that denied me from service.

Did people receive a "secondary complete/received" email when they submitted?

Did people receive a "secondary complete/received" email when they submitted?
I received one about a week after I submitted my secondary. You can also email your admissions counselor to ask for confirmation.

I received one about a week after I submitted my secondary. You can also email your admissions counselor to ask for confirmation.

Yeah I just reached out to my counselor. I never got an invitation for the secondary, it didn't re-send after they said it did, and so I just filled out the secondary. Then didn't receive an update if it was received.... I provided them with an alternative e-mail... not sure why it's such a struggle!

Anyone know how strict they are with the "have a degree by June 1st 2018" question on the secondary? I go to a quarter system school, so I won't have graduated by then. I sent them an email but they haven't replied....

Anyone know how strict they are with the "have a degree by June 1st 2018" question on the secondary? I go to a quarter system school, so I won't have graduated by then. I sent them an email but they haven't replied....
Well since you have to do stuff during the summer prior to matriculation, probably pretty strict. You won't have time to finish undergraduate courses before matriculation if you're not done by then, I wouldn't think.

Can any current students talk about how they are taught here? Are most of your lectures available online like other schools? Or is it strictly in person learning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope none of you guys are transgender students lol... :( I think USUHS can no longer admit if thats the case...

Can any current students talk about how they are taught here? Are most of your lectures available online like other schools? Or is it strictly in person learning?

All the lectures are available via video capture recordings. Some students attend lecture, some watch from home, and some come to school but work in the library during lectures. Labs are most often mandatory, as are a few lectures.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope none of you guys are transgender students lol... :( I think USUHS can no longer admit if thats the case...

While clearly indicative of what may come, a tweet is not equivalent to a policy change and the policy to allow openly transgender new recruits was already on hold prior to the announcement yesterday. Logistically, nothing has changed with regards to transgender service members (yet).

Last edited:

It is particularly concerning for any current transgender students that attend. This policy could potentially kick them out of the school and that must just be heart breakingly stressful for students already under a lot of stress.

It is particularly concerning for any current transgender students that attend. This policy could potentially kick them out of the school and that must just be heart breakingly stressful for students already under a lot of stress.
Honestly it's only a handful of people in the whole army, this policy affects about as many people as a policy would stating that nobody over 7'6" can continue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have been around the block enough times to understand that policy change is inevitable. I am not even taking a position, for or against. What bothers me though, is that the life altering policies are changed so fast that people are stuck and cannot plan to mitigate. It is like the osteopathic grade replacement policy. I have no position on it, but personally know several people that it affected greatly.they have spent thousands of dollars and several years on retake classes to only have them be useless. These major changes should be announced, planned for, and have a date set far enough in the future so that people can have a chance to pursue other options. I don't think the whole quitting cold turkey approach is appropriate. Let the arguments begin...

Reactions: 2 users