2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Similarily, for the MD/MPH?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied MD/MPH. II yesterday. So in love with their MPH program!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What interview dates are available for those that just received IIs?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm hoping for some input, especially as a Maine Track applicant. I am interested in rural med, but given where I currently live and my schedule, gaining rural med experience has been difficult. My experiences have thus far been in urban, but under-served, areas. I have an opportunity to shadow in rural ED starting in December, which is pretty dang late in the cycle. It is a physician I occasionally work with as a scribe. He lives in a rural area about an hour away, and most of his shifts are there. I have a letter from an ED physician already, but want to be able to include rural med experience. Would it be valid updating that I am anticipating a rural medicine shadowing experience in December, or should I wait? Any advice? Specifically wondering here because of my Maine Track application.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think my chances are? 3.97 gpa, biology major, honorscollege, 509 mcat score, studied abroad, graduated in 3 years, TA,tutor, AHA fellowship recipient, gap year as a researcher for Yale University.Extracurricular activities, 11 year history volunteering with the same organization, shadow and volunteer experience inhealthcare.
Thanks for any insight.

What do you think my chances are? 3.97 gpa, biology major, honorscollege, 509 mcat score, studied abroad, graduated in 3 years, TA,tutor, AHA fellowship recipient, gap year as a researcher for Yale University.Extracurricular activities, 11 year history volunteering with the same organization, shadow and volunteer experience inhealthcare.
Thanks for any insight.

Sub 520 gg. maybe think DO or Caribbean.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for any insight.
The person who told you to aim DO/ Caribbean is full of it. Get MSAR. Look at the average states for the school and see if you fall within their range and work on making your own list rather than posting the same thing on a dozen+ school specific friends. SDN cannot tell you your chances. You know your file. Do your research on the school via MSAR, see their score range, make a logical decision on your own. A lot of this process is unpredictable, and there is also a good amount of people with excellent MCAT scores that get rejected for reasons we might not know. Scores matter, but aren't your entire app. That being said, you should apply within a range that makes sense, maybe adding a reach school or two if you really love that school. But if you look at MSAR, see a school hasn't accepted someone below 512, then don't apply there. Look, I even did some of the work for you. Tufts average MCAT is 513. The bottom 10% is a 505 and the top 10% is 521. Your above average for GPA.

Reactions: 7 users
i'm like 98% sure they were being sarcastic hahaha. If this was the WashU thread then his statement might've held some truth but everywhere else it's not lol. The bait worked ;)
Probably. It's not really bait, it doesn't affect my life in anyway. I mostly posted because the original comment shows this person seems to not know how to gauge there competitiveness, making me think they'd take that false comment literally lol. You never know with SDN

For anyone who has interviewed already: any tips? I heard Tufts interviewers can be difficult and try to trip you up. True or false?

The person who told you to aim DO/ Caribbean is full of it. Get MSAR. Look at the average states for the school and see if you fall within their range and work on making your own list rather than posting the same thing on a dozen+ school specific friends. SDN cannot tell you your chances. You know your file. Do your research on the school via MSAR, see their score range, make a logical decision on your own. A lot of this process is unpredictable, and there is also a good amount of people with excellent MCAT scores that get rejected for reasons we might not know. Scores matter, but aren't your entire app. That being said, you should apply within a range that makes sense, maybe adding a reach school or two if you really love that school. But if you look at MSAR, see a school hasn't accepted someone below 512, then don't apply there. Look, I even did some of the work for you. Tufts average MCAT is 513. The bottom 10% is a 505 and the top 10% is 521. Your above average for GPA.

Does anyone know if Tufts is receptive to in-the-area interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Tufts is receptive to in-the-area interviews?

I live 1 mile away I'll try and see what they say hahaha

Hey, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I just saw this on the site under "Our Process" for the MD program application. "Interviews are scheduled only by invitation of the admissions committee, and we do not conduct regional interviews."

So, it sounds to me like they aren't receptive to in the area interviews, but I could be reading it incorrectly...

Hey, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I just saw this on the site under "Our Process" for the MD program application. "Interviews are scheduled only by invitation of the admissions committee, and we do not conduct regional interviews."

So, it sounds to me like they aren't receptive to in the area interviews, but I could be reading it incorrectly...

I'm pretty sure this means they don't offer interviews in like Maine since they have the Maine track. I remember seeing on the portal that they have "open invitations" for interview meaning if you have an interview at BU or something you can arrange to have interview while you're here for that (if you were already invited for one). It seems like "in the area" only applies if you've been invited but need a specific date

I'm pretty sure this means they don't offer interviews in like Maine since they have the Maine track. I remember seeing on the portal that they have "open invitations" for interview meaning if you have an interview at BU or something you can arrange to have interview while you're here for that (if you were already invited for one). It seems like "in the area" only applies if you've been invited but need a specific date
Ahh, sorry! Just found this under the FAQ on their site, and it sounds like what you mentioned. :)

I’m going to be in the Boston area soon. Will Tufts review my file right away, so if I get an interview at Tufts I can schedule it during my upcoming trip?
We review applications (and select applicants for interview) in the order in which the applications become complete. Our interview season extends from September until March, and an invitation to interview with us is good from the time it is issued until the end of our interview season. We extend open-ended invitations to help applicants consolidate a visit to Tufts with visits to other schools in our area. Unfortunately, we cannot extend an applicant any special or priority treatment due to travel plans.

They actually do interviews in Maine, only for the Maine Track though.

I think posting on here earlier today gave me good luck bc I also just got an II.
Complete 7/27, LizzyM 64-66
Dates available as early as mid October!

Can't wait to see some of you all there!

Reactions: 12 users
I think posting on here earlier today gave me good luck bc I also just got an II.
Complete 7/27, LizzyM 64-66
Dates available as early as mid October!

Can't wait to see some of you all there!
Giving us mid 60s LM folks hope. Congrats!

Reactions: 10 users
Wow they must be sending II's in a wave cause I just got mine! :) Complete 7/16. Anybody interviewing Oct 19??

Reactions: 5 users
There are like 2 or 3 dates left in October, a good number still available in November and December

II today! Does anyone know what time Interview day starts?

Reactions: 2 users
II earlier today! Complete 7/20.

So I was checking out the Tufts website to find out how many applicants they interview (last year they interviewed 926 out of almost 10,000 applicants), and read that they admitted 539 applicants for a class of 210 last year. Anyone have an idea of why there's such a big difference between those numbers?? I know that not everyone that gets accepted will go there, but 300+ accepted students deciding to go elsewhere sounds weird to me. Does this include the waitlisted students as well?

So I was checking out the Tufts website to find out how many applicants they interview (last year they interviewed 926 out of almost 10,000 applicants), and read that they admitted 539 applicants for a class of 210 last year. Anyone have an idea of why there's such a big difference between those numbers?? I know that not everyone that gets accepted will go there, but 300+ accepted students deciding to go elsewhere sounds weird to me. Does this include the waitlisted students as well?
I think that's pretty typical. Many schools aim to accept 3n applicants, where n is the class size they are aiming for.

Also a rising second year. I'll try and fill in any gaps if ninjas unavailable. Good luck to all!
Hi Cyril,
My daughter is currently at Tufts with biology major. She wants to apply via Early assurance program. It would be great to talk to someone who got through that on how and when to complete the required courses ( 5 in total by sophomore summer. 2 biology, 2 general chemistry and 1 organic chem). Do you know someone so my student can contact them for suggestions? Not sure whether that info is private, if that's the case you can email me. Please let me know.

That's not that huge of a discrepancy, most schools accept ~2x their class size. Many factors like $$$ (especially for tufts) and prestige turn a large number of accepted students away. This is also why the early July/August interviewees at most schools are superstar applicants - lower schools are trying to get some of them to bite before they inevitably end up getting courted by higher schools later on.

Hi Cyril,
My daughter is currently at Tufts with biology major. She wants to apply via Early assurance program. It would be great to talk to someone who got through that on how and when to complete the required courses ( 5 in total by sophomore summer. 2 biology, 2 general chemistry and 1 organic chem). Do you know someone so my student can contact them for suggestions? Not sure whether that info is private, if that's the case you can email me. Please let me know.

For the Early Assurance Program, she should probably ask the Pre-Med Advisors, Carol Baffi-Dugan or Stephanie Ripley, about planning out her schedule since they are heavily involved in the application process.

I noticed from previous years feeds that there were status changes on the portal before II going from your application is ready for review to under review, did any portal stalkers who received IIs notice this?? also congrats to all of you that received IIs so far!!

I noticed from previous years feeds that there were status changes on the portal before II going from your application is ready for review to under review, did any portal stalkers who received IIs notice this?? also congrats to all of you that received IIs so far!!
Mine still says "ready for review" :yeahright: I want an II here so badly!

any md/mba hopefuls here? maybe our review/ii timelines are different

II on 09.20. Complete on 07.17 Waiting on news about MSTP. LizzyM: 66.40

Reactions: 2 users
Applied MD/MA in International Relations. Complete 8/12 and now playing the waiting game. Anyone else applying MD/MA and if so, have you received an interview yet?

Applied MD/MA in International Relations. Complete 8/12 and now playing the waiting game. Anyone else applying MD/MA and if so, have you received an interview yet?
Trying to! I don't actually understand how to apply? I selected the program in my secondary application portal, but I can't figure out how to apply to the MA program. I have an interview scheduled already though, so I'm fairly confused.

Any recent II news? I have been complete since 7/9 and nothing -__- , anyone else in that time frame in the same boat?

So should people start hearing of acceptances right on Oct. 16th? Or does Tufts like to wait

So should people start hearing of acceptances right on Oct. 16th? Or does Tufts like to wait

I am not 100% sure because the information was slightly broken up so please anyone else that wants to interject, do so.

When I attended my interview here (9/22) they mentioned that the admissions panel meets at the end of each month but wouldn't be meeting until their October date. I am guessing that means late October would be the initial decisions?

Has tufts given out so many II's yet? it doesnt seem like it from this thread.