2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was your for Harlem or Middletown?
Middletown, I prefer a more rural school so chose to not apply to Harlem. I can't go to the days they're offering because of other IIs or we would be able to meet up. Seems like we are the first few though so our odds of acceptance are very high!

Members don't see this ad :)
Middletown, I prefer a more rural school so chose to not apply to Harlem. I can't go to the days they're offering because of other IIs or we would be able to meet up. Seems like we are the first few though so our odds of acceptance are very high!
Same! I think I'm going to go the 18th. This school really didn't waste any time sending out II.

Hey did everyone receive a complete email after sending in the secondary. If so, how long after submitting the secondary did everyone receive the complete email?

Hey did everyone receive a complete email after sending in the secondary. If so, how long after submitting the secondary did everyone receive the complete email?
I did not. I received an email saying they received my secondary right before my II. I sent my secondary in about a week ago.

I did not. I received an email saying they received my secondary right before my II. I sent my secondary in about a week ago.
I sent my secondary in yesterday but haven't received a notification that my secondary was received. Should I be concerned?

hi guys! question: how are you supposed to send in "unofficial " transcripts for this school??

You know you don't have your priorities straight when you're struggling to pay rent and eating only 1-2 meals a day, but still shelling out $200 on Touro secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
You know you don't have your priorities straight when you're struggling to pay rent and eating only 1-2 meals a day, but still shelling out $200 on Touro secondaries.
seriously though, 200 seems a bit egregious unless they actually prescreen the primaries

Members don't see this ad :)
I encourage you all to speak to the upperclassmen about losing two of our rotation sites in NJ. During your interviews you should ask the poor quality of rotations. Many third year students are in contact with COCA about this.

Immunization isn't required to submit, correct? Im leaving that blank (didn't upload anything) and it makes me a bit nervous.

Immunization isn't required to submit, correct? Im leaving that blank (didn't upload anything) and it makes me a bit nervous.
never mind. Just saw the answer to this question in their email. oops

got an II on Friday! I signed up for 9/11. Anyone else going then? I'll be interviewing at the Middletown campus.
I was complete like... wow a week or so ago?

Reactions: 1 users
NEVER Got a denial or a secondary.. anyone else ?

Reactions: 1 user
I had to reschedule for for October 2nd, they also have October 22nd/23rd available

I submitted my secondary 10 days ago. No confirmation it was received yet. Anyone advise emailing them? Or just give them time?

Does anyone know how these interviews are formatted/what to expect?

*I haven't read through previous threads yet to be honest*

I submitted my secondary 10 days ago. No confirmation it was received yet. Anyone advise emailing them? Or just give them time?
Bumping... I want a response soon because I'm worried if I delay it'll make my application submission later... Are they just slow? Other schools send confirmations within days.

Bumping... I want a response soon because I'm worried if I delay it'll make my application submission later... Are they just slow? Other schools send confirmations within days.
Just call them... if you are this concerned I don't know why you would accept reassurance from an internet stranger.

Just call them... if you are this concerned I don't know why you would accept reassurance from an internet stranger.
I don't want to come off as pushy if they're just being slow. If numerous people have received them already I would be concerned, if everyone else is still waiting, then I wouldn't be concerned.

II for Harlem!

Anybody know if you get one II for both schools at one campus, or if you can get a II for both separately?

II for Harlem!

Anybody know if you get one II for both schools at one campus, or if you can get a II for both separately?
The II is for either one or the other, usually based on the preference you first indicated. And I don't think you can switch after you submit the secondary.

Whos interviewing tomorrow at Middletown? I got here early. Anyone wanna grab some food or a beer?

anyone know what the minimum mcat is here?

anyone who interviewed at middletown yesterday, any feedback on the school/interview?

anyone who interviewed at middletown yesterday, any feedback on the school/interview?

Pros: facilities/building is nice. Staff seem nice, data on most recent COMLEX (1, 2, and 3) seem really good, the town/area was very suburban and in a great location, interview was stress free (for me at least)
Cons: dorms are tiny (if that was something you cared about, for me it wasn't), their anatomy lab, while very modern, was very very small and IMO not as comprehensive as other medical schools.
Neutral: heavy emphasis on their curriculum being "flipped", this means you watch videos on your own then attend lectures where they practice/drill what you learned. This has produced results (COMLEX 1) but some may not like it. I honestly don't know if I do or not.

the interview day was simple. You interview in the morning then tour the school (or do the reverse). Lunch was provided and the students were very candid. HOWEVER, I wish I spoke with a student who was NOT a masters student first.....

Just got an Interview Invite to TouroCOM-Middletown, NY :) Hoping to get confirmation on the October 2 date I requested! Super excited, super nervous, super feeling everything right now.

FYI - Received the secondary application on Thursday, August 24; was 'Complete' (Aka Got an e-mail confirming that TouroCOM received my Secondary Application) yesterday, Monday, September 11; and received the Interview Invite today.

Did not receive a secondary app yet?? has anyone not received this one?

Just got an Interview Invite to TouroCOM-Middletown, NY :) Hoping to get confirmation on the October 2 date I requested! Super excited, super nervous, super feeling everything right now.

FYI - Received the secondary application on Thursday, August 24; was 'Complete' (Aka Got an e-mail confirming that TouroCOM received my Secondary Application) yesterday, Monday, September 11; and received the Interview Invite today.
When did you submit your secondary?

3.3 sGPA, 3.2 cGPA, 509 MCAT. Extensive research experience; 5,000+ healthcare hours (Volunteer; mostly employed). 4 very good LOR's, 2 of which are DO.

Really needed some things on my application to boost my chances, seeing that my GPA's are not that great. You guys know the struggle >.<

It was cool meeting people at the interview yesterday! Seemed like a great group, hope all you guys get in!

I'm just finishing up my secondary now. This is kind of a silly question, but did those of you who got II's literally go paragraph by paragraph addressing: (1) Why Osteopathic Medicine? (2) Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? (3) How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?

Obviously Touro has a pretty major focus on urban under-served populations. I'm just not sure if they're dropping a major hint about how they want the essay structured here or what.

I'm just finishing up my secondary now. This is kind of a silly question, but did those of you who got II's literally go paragraph by paragraph addressing: (1) Why Osteopathic Medicine? (2) Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? (3) How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?

Obviously Touro has a pretty major focus on urban under-served populations. I'm just not sure if they're dropping a major hint about how they want the essay structured here or what.

My essay focused on my prior experience working with DO's in an urban setting, which led to my decision to apply to plenty of osteopathic programs. I think it answered 3-4 of the 4-5 different topics requested by Touro, and they appeared to have accepted it. I think hitting most of those topics in a cohesive essay rather than answering each and every one of them directly in a choppy question-based format will catch the AdCom's attention more :) Good luck!