2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was there. It was a great experience. 8-2 tour + presentation about A&M. 2-5 PM, 2 interviews scattered in there. Kind of a stressful deal because you're just sitting there like... can I just get this over with... but it's overall laid back.
If you don't mind me asking, was the interview MMI or traditional?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone asked to change your interview location? I was chosen for Temple location but would really prefer interviewing at college station to see the medical school better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone asked to change your interview location? I was chosen for Temple location but would really prefer interviewing at college station to see the medical school better.
I was also assigned Temple and I'd also like to switch, seeing as it's unlikely that I would even attend the Temple location at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I was also assigned Temple and I'd also like to switch, seeing as it's unlikely that I would even attend the Temple location at all.
Temple is the best branch that A&M offers... wouldn't be so sure about that!

*opinion not mine but that of several students and administrators to whom I've spoken... b/c you have dibs at an academic medical center it makes residency easier supposedly

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try and ask, but it maybe hard. Last year I was given the CSTAT campus, but I asked to see if could switch to temple because I had to go down south for another interview. They said they rarely if not ever make changes, but because someone gave yo their interview at Temple they switched me. I don't know if it was luck or they were being serious.

Go to the interview location you're given: the folks who looked at your application determine where you go, and they're the ones who are going to be pitching you when decision time comes.

Plus, you're just seeing the medical education building in College Station. It's just classrooms. You're lucky to be assigned to the location with an actual hospital and current clinical students.

Go to the interview location you're given: the folks who looked at your application determine where you go, and they're the ones who are going to be pitching you when decision time comes.

Plus, you're just seeing the medical education building in College Station. It's just classrooms. You're lucky to be assigned to the location with an actual hospital and current clinical students.

Completely agree.

If you come to A&M, you will likely spend most of your time away from College Station. I interviewed at BCS, but would have preferred Temple to take a better look at their hospital network. Also, Temple is a great track to get onto to. One of the best hospitals in Texas, and you only have to share it with ~1/3 of a med school. BCS is mainly just classrooms and labs, which look just like all the other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Does A&M tend to invite high stats applicants first and then go back to the more average stats? My application was complete the last week of June and I still have not heard back yet, so just want to know my chances... LizzyM 69

Reactions: 2 users
Does A&M tend to invite high stats applicants first and then go back to the more average stats? My application was complete the last week of June and I still have not heard back yet, so just want to know my chances... LizzyM 69

I'm not sure if that's how they do things, but one of my friends didn't hear from A&M until December last year and got the very last interview day. Ended up matching with them. He finished his app early July, LizzyM around 67-68 iirc. So you deff have a realistic shot, i hope it works out. Hoping for an interview myself, fingers crossed for the both of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I don't have much experience with TAMU and applied here, so can anyone who went for undergrad or the med school speak on their diversity? I feel a bit hesitant with the recent white supremacy rallies and stuff

I don't have much experience with TAMU and applied here, so can anyone who went for undergrad or the med school speak on their diversity? I feel a bit hesitant with the recent white supremacy rallies and stuff

Not at all reflective of the medical school, and a paltry minority of the flagship campus. It really is a bunch of nut jobs who keep planning things here with no support from the student body at large

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took me a while to find it but scroll down on this page to the pie chart for demographics for incoming class 2016:
College of Medicine Admissions

We're not on main campus, we're a little detached. As a URM, I know I was upset about that, but A&M stepped up and didn't allow for the rally to happen on campus for the safety of its students. That showed me that main campus cares about its student body. I contacted the med school professors on the weekend, just to start dialogue, and they were also kind and supportive.

For those who have already interviewed at the Temple Campus, what time is the social the night before? That info wasn't given, yet we were asked to RSVP.

For those who have already interviewed at the Temple Campus, what time is the social the night before? That info wasn't given, yet we were asked to RSVP.

This is from the BCS flyer: 6:30PM. I am assuming it will also be 6:30PM at the Temple Campus.

upload_2017-8-21_12-7-19.png

Reactions: 1 user

6pm at The Gin in Belton

For the Temple people, how are you guys getting there (esp. from out of state)? I noticed the closest airport is in Killeen? Are there Ubers that would be able to take me from Killeen to Temple? (Driving/renting a car is not an option for me.)

II for Bryan campus! Honestly was not at all expecting one, 512 but 3.09 sGPA, URM. Had given up this cycle 'till now. If I can anyone can!! This may be the only one I get this time but it gives me hope :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
II for Bryan campus! Honestly was not at all expecting one, 513 but 3.09 cGPA, URM. Had given up this cycle 'till now. If I can anyone can!! This may be the only one I get this time but it gives me hope :)
Congrats! So happy for you :) When did you submit and complete?

II for Bryan campus! Honestly was not at all expecting one, 513 but 3.09 cGPA, URM. Had given up this cycle 'till now. If I can anyone can!! This may be the only one I get this time but it gives me hope :)

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! So happy for you :) When did you submit and complete?
Thank you :) Submitted TMDSAS around 6/2, and submitted the A&M secondary along with casper on 7/18.

Edit: I took casper on 7/26 but the secondary was submitted prior to that

8/31 interviews are to be rescheduled either for 14th of September or 21st of September...

What have you said/plan to say if you are asked "Why TAMU medical school?" I can't seem to find much on their website about interesting things the schools offers. I hope I'll get to learn about the school when I interview there.

Anyone know about whether Temple Interviews are still on for Thursday? I tried calling and emailing, but no response yet.

Just got a response. Tomorrow they'll be sending an email cancelling interviews for 8/31 at the Temple Campus

Just got a response. Tomorrow they'll be sending an email cancelling interviews for 8/31 at the Temple Campus

Really? The rain pretty much has stopped in Temple, so I'm surprised by this decision.

Really? The rain pretty much has stopped in Temple, so I'm surprised by this decision.
The rain may have stopped but many roads are impassable in the Houston, Galveston, and Corpus Christi areas. Both Houston's airports are closed. Many Texas applicants drive to their interviews. If someone's interview is cancelled due to the hurricane it will be rescheduled.

The rain may have stopped but many roads are impassable in the Houston, Galveston, and Corpus Christi areas. Both Houston's airports are closed. Many Texas applicants drive to their interviews. If someone's interview is cancelled due to the hurricane it will be rescheduled.

Do you think this means they will create more interview days in the future? Or will they just be interviewing less people this cycle?

Do you think this means they will create more interview days in the future? Or will they just be interviewing less people this cycle?

I am hoping/assuming the former. They would want to keep their acceptance rate constant, and that means keeping the number of interviewees constant.

I am hoping/assuming the former. They would want to keep their acceptance rate constant, and that means keeping the number of interviewees constant.

Schools usually have backup interviews into early january

Schools usually have backup interviews into early january

Oh I didn't know these were backup. I thought they interviewed into early January as normal plans.

Look, they already invited these (8/31) students for an interview. They are not going to disinvite them due to a natural disaster. They will continue to choose students for interview according to their own criteria. They will either add an interview day to get these students back in or they will crowd up some of their regularly scheduled interview days. There is no reason to think they will keep the number of invites the same year to year so an arbitrary percentage yield will be kept the same.

Look, they already invited these (8/31) students for an interview. They are not going to disinvite them due to a natural disaster. They will continue to choose students for interview according to their own criteria. They will either add an interview day to get these students back in or they will crowd up some of their regularly scheduled interview days. There is no reason to think they will keep the number of invites the same year to year so an arbitrary percentage yield will be kept the same.

Yes, I absolutely would not think they would disinvite them! :) Without a doubt those already invited should be rescheduled. I was just curious if anyone knew what schools normally do about the loss of interview slots in these situations.

Do you guys think all Texas med school interviews will be canceled this week then?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an email from TAMHSC. Interview cancelled for 8/31.

Just got an email from TAMHSC. Interview cancelled for 8/31.

Same. A little inconvenient but obviously the victims of Harvey would gladly trade for a little inconvenience in their schedule.

Probably the right decision, surprised not all TMDSAS schools would follow suit.

Probably the right decision, surprised not all TMDSAS schools would follow suit.

Not all of Texas was affected by the hurricane. It's just the greater Houston area. Other parts of Texas received nothing but a few drops of rain at most.

Not all of Texas was affected by the hurricane. It's just the greater Houston area. Other parts of Texas received nothing but a few drops of rain at most.

Yeah. Especially north Texas and west Texas schools would still be on for their interviews.

Ok, but then why would they cancel Temple. I would have no trouble getting there and they weren't affected at all by Harvey.

My only explanation is that they know it may be difficult for some Houston area people to get there. Obviously, a lot of people from Houston area are going to be interviewing at other schools. I am just trying to find out the reasoning for Temple canceling, but not other TMDSAS schools.

Ok, but then why would they cancel Temple. I would have no trouble getting there and they weren't affected at all by Harvey.

My only explanation is that they know it may be difficult for some Houston area people to get there. Obviously, a lot of people from Houston area are going to be interviewing at other schools. I am just trying to find out the reasoning for Temple canceling, but not other TMDSAS schools.

Maybe it could be because A&M wants to be consistent? So if they do open another interview day things don't get confusing. Also because travelers could be coming from anywhere and they want to be fair to everyone. So if some are able to make it and some aren't then the ones who have to reschedule might feel left out or they are at a disadvantage for interviewing later.