2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait pls elaborate, how do you know this? So if I tank it it won't affect me?

I wouldn't at all advise you to "tank it," but they said it wouldn't be used against us this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Director of admissions said so yesterday. They're just having us take it as a pilot. I loved this school and the administration here; they are fair and realize that many students felt like they had to scramble to schedule this test.
Wow thanks a lot man! I really like the transparency they gave you, I'm just still worried about the effects of the budget cuts upon the education provided.

Wow thanks a lot man! I really like the transparency they gave you, I'm just still worried about the effects of the budget cuts upon the education provided.

Well for one the budget cuts affected every publicly funded school in Texas, but there are laws/regulations that mandate a certain standard of excellence in medical education. Not that A&M would do this, but they wouldn't be allowed to provide sub-standard education if they wanted to do so. They still are in the midst of building brand new facilities for pathology and other lab-based sciences despite the budget cuts. I think the budget cuts are overblown and no reason to be concerned. They would accept fewer students (and thus save money that way) before lowering their educational standards, so if anything the budget cuts may just make the school more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't at all advise you to "tank it," but they said it wouldn't be used against us this year.

Haha I didn't purposely try to tank it, just had really bad luck that day. But this is good to know, though I'm sure they wouldn't especially love seeing a horrible CASPer score.

Is there any evidence regarding the average length of the ideal or model answer? I can't imagine they're looking for fast typers. But how short is too short.
For me it was about quality of answer, versus length. I typed fast to ensure that I had enough ime to process and answer everything. I didn't write lengthy responses, just "long" enough to "shortly" answer.

I definitely think the budget cuts are blown out of proportion. TAMHSC has had a lot of administrative changes lately, and I know that the new administration is trying to make big changes to better establish the program. One of their top priorities is to expand the Bryan/College Station campus and make changes to the other tracks. I'm sure the reduction in class size from 200 to 170 is to save money for these plans. By no means is A&M sacrificing their education, and TAMHSC is doing a good job to ensure that these changes are not personally affecting the students.

Reactions: 2 users
II invite this morning, complete early June, IS, LizzyM 75+

Reactions: 3 users
Just checked my email. Got a II here about 2 hours ago. Chosen for Temple campus. Anyone know what the day is like at this location?
Congrats, what are your stats and when did you finish the app?

Just checked my email. Got a II here about 2 hours ago. Chosen for Temple campus. Anyone know what the day is like at this location?

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, what date did you take the CASPer Test?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I was there. It was a great experience. 8-2 tour + presentation about A&M. 2-5 PM, 2 interviews scattered in there. Kind of a stressful deal because you're just sitting there like... can I just get this over with... but it's overall laid back.

Don't worry bro, I transmitted 7/13 and still no answer, yet I have II from McGovern, UTMB, and El Paso. Some places are just taking their sweet time! And I have a LizzyM of 76 if that helps!

Don't worry bro, I transmitted 7/13 and still no answer, yet I have II from McGovern, UTMB, and El Paso. Some places are just taking their sweet time! And I have a LizzyM of 76 if that helps!

Word. I'm the reverse and haven't heard from McGovern or San Antonio but quickly heard from A&M and Galveston. LizzyM 74. Im convinced there's no rhyme or reason to this.

Reactions: 3 users
Word. I'm the reverse and haven't heard from McGovern or San Antonio but quickly heard from A&M and Galveston. LizzyM 74. Im convinced there's no rhyme or reason to this.
That's because there probably is not a real rhyme or reason, they are playing psychological warfare with us

Just in case anyone out here cares, here's how I'd fix it: once applications are submitted, send out an email stating when you start reviewing, whether you review in the order they are received, and the criteria for selection. Then (like Tulane) assign an application to be read by a screener, which triggers an application status change. They will then inform you in 2 weeks of whether or not you'll be considered for an interview. I understand there are limitations both in financial and resource capital senses, but oh boy would this make things easier for students and for the poor folks that have to answer the phone at the admissions offices

Last edited by a moderator:
What were your stats and when did u transmit? I transmitted on 7/11 and still no answer :(

If by transmitted u mean the primary, I sent that back in May

Lol **** i was complete like 06/13 LizzyM 76 and only UTMB and the TT's Lubbock/El paso :(

At the end of the day, its still the first week of August and there is four months of interviews to go. Decided this week to stop stressing about submitting times and IIs and just finish my remaining secondaries and lay off the neurotic SDN/email checking. Dont know how long I can control myself lol but only checking the email 3 times daily is making me less worried.

At the end of the day, its still the first week of August and there is four months of interviews to go. Decided this week to stop stressing about submitting times and IIs and just finish my remaining secondaries and lay off the neurotic SDN/email checking. Dont know how long I can control myself lol but only checking the email 3 times daily is making me less worried.
It's a smart idea and you also have 6 IIs already lol you can stop being neurotic knowing that you have that many interviews so early

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

+1 in regards to McGovern

It's a smart idea and you also have 6 IIs already lol you can stop being neurotic knowing that you have that many interviews so early

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I could have sworn I deleted the 6 II post. SDN never forgets apparently

I could have sworn I deleted the 6 II post. SDN never forgets apparently
I'm just trying to say that you should not be worried because you have so many IIs within this first month of them going out. You have great stats and are a URM, so most schools are going to be foaming at the mouth to get ya.

I'm just trying to say that you should not be worried because you have so many IIs within this first month of them going out. You have great stats and are a URM, so most schools are going to be foaming at the mouth to get ya.

True, true. Hope we all have good cycles regardless.

To those who took the 7/9 CASPer, does your A&M status page say "true" for it? Mine still doesn't.

Where does it say this? I only see where it says "under review"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was wondering about this too.
Mine used to have a table with each criteria "true" or blank.
Since last week, the table went away and all I see is a sentence or two saying that the application is "under review"

Anyone have experience with this? Maybe it means that the application is being reviewed for possible II invites.

Where does it say this? I only see where it says "under review"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My table went away too and all it says is "Under Review." I'm assuming that it goes away once everything is there and the application is being reviewed. If it says "Under Review" they definitely have all of your application materials. I wouldn't worry about it.

II this morning Lizzy 77. URM. Wasn't expecting love here tbh. Also IS

@gjr428 I don't speak for every TX applicant, but I think it is safe to say that we all are pulling for you and know that your patience will be rewarded!!!

@gjr428 I don't speak for every TX applicant, but I think it is safe to say that we all are pulling for you and know that your patience will be rewarded!!!
Thanks.. this makes me feel much better.. are u a adcom?

Thanks.. this makes me feel much better.. are u a adcom?

No. I am an applicant this cycle also, so I understand how nerve-wrecking this whole process is. We all want to achieve our dream of becoming a physician, and I have received so much support from SDNers. I think you should know that you, at least, have my full support. Continue to stay positive and good things will come your way!!!

Got an II here yesterday. Secondary sent by 5/18 and Casper was on 6/28