2017-2018 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not yet, transmitted late June, took the CASPer July 9, currently have "under review" status

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got a II about 2 hours ago. Completed app on 5/23 and took the 6/28 casper

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like they're slowly reviewing apps and starting the roll out of II's

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the interview scheduling done online or phone? Which dates have you been offered?

So basically they assign you a date, which you go to your portal to check. That date didn't work for me so I had to reschedule. I was offered August 3, but rescheduled for Aug 24. They said interviews happen on thursdays

Anybody gotten an II with a july casper?

I both took the Casper and submitted my secondary on 7/8 and haven't gotten one yet. Granted, I'm pretty sure I failed my Casper (parent kept calling my phone repeatedly. Muted my phone. Forgot phone was connected to Mac. Finally turned off phone. Ran out of time on a question). Basically yeah - haven't received one but not exactly expecting one at this point either.

Anyone know if the "have you been trained or worked as a scribe" total hours question is up until today, or also considering future hours up until we enter medical school?

As a reapp here my portal status still shows me as being "under review" from last year. anyone else?

Anyone know if the "have you been trained or worked as a scribe" total hours question is up until today, or also considering future hours up until we enter medical school?
Personally, I put up until we enter medical school. Idk if that is the right way or not, but I did it that way mostly because that matched up with the scribe hours on my primary application and didnt want those numbers to differ

So does A&M wait for you to do CASPer before considering you complete for review for an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also can anyone check if they have A&M? Mine used to show everything as true except CASPER and it all vanished a few days ago. Im assuming that is when CASPER scores were added and it was truly complete?

Also can anyone check if they have A&M? Mine used to show everything as true except CASPER and it all vanished a few days ago. Im assuming that is when CASPER scores were added and it was truly complete?

Pretty sure that is what happened to mine too! I used to see a box with "true" ... but I can't seem to find it anymore! I took CASPer July 9.

Same, was also wondering this.

LizzyM >=75, TX resident but OOS undergrad. 7/9 CASPer... was fatigued during my CASPer so I wouldn't fret about CASPer score affecting TAMU II.

Your Lizzy is way over TAMU's median, even for Asians.

CASper probably matters a lot more for people with average stats, and it's partially a test of emotional intelligence.

lol I have the same LizzyM but tanked my CASPer (got cut off mid-sentence on a question) and didn't receive an II yet. I also thought my TAMU secondary was one of my better TX ones. So I think CASPer might still matter for higher LizzyMs lol...

I had plenty of spelling errors and sentences cut off during my test b/c I accepted that scorers were looking for content and trained to overlook technical errors. My creative juices were just not flowing either. Simply sending positive vibes to everyone who is nervous about CASPer!

Reactions: 1 user
Just did the Casper portion of secondary, basically be prepared to type fast.
I'd love to learn more about the scoring, if there's any information out there, and whether admissions see it as "We will only consider students who pass X threshold" or "Student A scored 4 points above X threshold, but Student B scored 20 points above X threshold, so we'll consider Student B more seriously."

Is there any evidence regarding the average length of the ideal or model answer? I can't imagine they're looking for fast typers. But how short is too short.
Honestly I didn't feel pressed for time when I was taking it, my answers seemed pretty short but I thought I did well. Then again, we can't get our scores back so I'm not sure how well I actually did

I both took the Casper and submitted my secondary on 7/8 and haven't gotten one yet. Granted, I'm pretty sure I failed my Casper (parent kept calling my phone repeatedly. Muted my phone. Forgot phone was connected to Mac. Finally turned off phone. Ran out of time on a question). Basically yeah - haven't received one but not exactly expecting one at this point either.
Don't count yourself out. I'm sure the rest of your application makes up for that.

Can anyone speak to the proposed budget cuts and/or class size reduction at this school?

Texas A&M dean of medicine decries budget cuts
This was heavily discussed in the Texas A&M thread for 2016-2017. Class size was reduced last year and I haven't heard anything about their plans for 2017-2018 cycle (meaning how many students they will accept). The date of the article you linked was Feb 2017.

They talked about it at interviews today. Class size will be 170 this year.

Signed up for the Aug 10th casper. Is my application getting complete in august going to put me at a big disadvantage? really worried :(

Wait, what?!? Really? Do you have a source on that fam?
Director of admissions said so yesterday. They're just having us take it as a pilot. I loved this school and the administration here; they are fair and realize that many students felt like they had to scramble to schedule this test.