2017-2018 Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current MS2 here willing to answer some questions you guys may have.
Hey there!

I've already submitted but just a few questions I would love to get some help with.

1) Aside from the sparse information they gave us about the different campuses, what are the major differences, and pros/cons of each campus if you know?

2) How has your experience been? Anything you love or hate?

3) Hmm that's actually all I have for the time being. I'm really bad at questions like there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do English courses count as humanities? I have ap credits for us history, which should count, but it says you can only use ap credits for two courses (and I need them for the bio requirement)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there!

I've already submitted but just a few questions I would love to get some help with.

1) Aside from the sparse information they gave us about the different campuses, what are the major differences, and pros/cons of each campus if you know?

2) How has your experience been? Anything you love or hate?

3) Hmm that's actually all I have for the time being. I'm really bad at questions like there.

1. There are some differences. For example, St. Luke's campus has about 30 students per class and start to get their education in Bethlehem starting second year. Afterwards, years 3-4, they rotate through St. Luke's Hospital, which is pretty much guaranteed for St. Luke's students. Plus, there is St. Luke's scholarship which covers some of the tuition. They've been increasing the scholarship amount every year. Know this: if you do apply to St. Luke's, be prepared to move after first year (I hate moving to be honest) and that can be a headache. Regardless, St. Luke's administration help you find a place to live.

Main campus students go to Temple Hospital in Philly, but they go through lottery and some students get assigned to other affiliated hospitals for their specific rotations. I know a few third years from Philly campus who will be doing their clerkship rotations at St. Luke's; and a couple of others at other hospitals. Other than that, there isn't much difference in terms of clinical education. Apply to clinical campuses if you see yourself living there. St. Luke's is in Bethlehem, which is a small town, but the hospital is pretty influential Level I trauma center. I don't know much about Allegheny Health Center because that clinical campus is new this year.

2. So far I am very satisfied with my medical education at Temple. Med school is challenging, and Temple faculty do a really good job creating a curriculum that won't kill your brain after a few months of brute memorization lol. Everything is very well organized and there is plenty of social and academic support for students. We also work closely with Standardized Patients about once a week where we learn medical interview and physical examination maneuvers, which I liked very much. Also, my class for some reason loved Happy Hours at bars every Friday or after exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1. There are some differences. For example, St. Luke's campus has about 30 students per class and start to get their education in Bethlehem starting second year. Afterwards, years 3-4, they rotate through St. Luke's Hospital, which is pretty much guaranteed for St. Luke's students. Plus, there is St. Luke's scholarship which covers some of the tuition. They've been increasing the scholarship amount every year. Know this: if you do apply to St. Luke's, be prepared to move after first year (I hate moving to be honest) and that can be a headache. Regardless, St. Luke's administration help you find a place to live.

Main campus students go to Temple Hospital in Philly, but they go through lottery and some students get assigned to other affiliated hospitals for their specific rotations. I know a few third years from Philly campus who will be doing their clerkship rotations at St. Luke's; and a couple of others at other hospitals. Other than that, there isn't much difference in terms of clinical education. Apply to clinical campuses if you see yourself living there. St. Luke's is in Bethlehem, which is a small town, but the hospital is pretty influential Level I trauma center. I don't know much about Allegheny Health Center because that clinical campus is new this year.

2. So far I am very satisfied with my medical education at Temple. Med school is challenging, and Temple faculty do a really good job creating a curriculum that won't kill your brain after a few months of brute memorization lol. Everything is very well organized and there is plenty of social and academic support for students. We also work closely with Standardized Patients about once a week where we learn medical interview and physical examination maneuvers, which I liked very much. Also, my class for some reason loved Happy Hours at bars every Friday or after exams.

Thanks so much for the responses! I actually applied to the Bethlehem campus because I wanted to kind of mix up my education with an urban setting and then a rural setting as well. I grew up in a town similar to Bethlehem so it wouldn't be that much of a change for me, neither would moving around!

How about aside from the academics? How do you find student organizations, outside of campus, etc? Do you find yourself with time to often do non-medical school related activities?

Thanks so much for the responses! I actually applied to the Bethlehem campus because I wanted to kind of mix up my education with an urban setting and then a rural setting as well. I grew up in a town similar to Bethlehem so it wouldn't be that much of a change for me, neither would moving around!

How about aside from the academics? How do you find student organizations, outside of campus, etc? Do you find yourself with time to often do non-medical school related activities?
Bethlehem is FAR from rural. I'm a Bethlehem native, and trust me, it's nothing like Philly, but it is a very active town with a lot to do. It's more suburban than anything. But being surrounded by both Allentown and Easton, there is plenty going on, especially nightlife. Not to mention there's a few top universities in the area too.

Bethlehem is FAR from rural. I'm a Bethlehem native, and trust me, it's nothing like Philly, but it is a very active town with a lot to do. It's more suburban than anything. But being surrounded by both Allentown and Easton, there is plenty going on, especially nightlife. Not to mention there's a few top universities in the area too.

I apologize, in retrospect that wasn't what I was trying to say, I mean relative to the philly area, it's more "rural". But I digress, I should have used suburban.

I apologize, in retrospect that wasn't what I was trying to say, I mean relative to the philly area, it's more "rural". But I digress, I should have used suburban.
No worries I just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting the countryside lol or even put "rural" in one of your secondary responses

What kind of clinical and research activities are you and your classmates involved in? What kind of opportunities are available?

What makes their curriculum unique?

So...I'm assuming that they just don't send a completion email because it looks like everyone else is in the same situation I am: all checks but no email or status change or anything like that. Or has someone received an update?

So...I'm assuming that they just don't send a completion email because it looks like everyone else is in the same situation I am: all checks but no email or status change or anything like that. Or has someone received an update?
same boat as you, friend

Members don't see this ad :)
II at the regional campus!!! In state (I'm actually from the area that the regional campus is located)

Reactions: 8 users

I never received a completion email either submitted 7/14

Under "Apply Online," has anyone's application been modified recently? Mine says it was modified 8/9 but I know that I didn't do anything so just wondering if this happened to anyone else..

Under "Apply Online," has anyone's application been modified recently? Mine says it was modified 8/9 but I know that I didn't do anything so just wondering if this happened to anyone else..
Looks like mine was modified on 8/9 as well, wonder what it means

Just submitted! Doesn't look like they've given out too many II's (at least according to this thread). Hopefully I'm not too late!

Is there any place on temple's portal where you can see status updates?

How long were all ya'lls responses for the "why this campus" question? I had a lot to say about why Temple specifically, but I felt like I can't write more than a paragraph for this one. There wasn't a lot of specific info on their websites either so that didn't help.

You could use some space to talk more about your goals and how they fit with a particular campus and its resources.

I just recieved a complete email. Submitted 7/6

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

did anyone who submitted secondary in august get complete email yet?

me too I got so excited for a second :(

Yeah, my heart rate took a few minutes to come back down. :rolleyes:
Plus it said I was complete as of 8/5, so.. delayed email? Guess it means they're getting around to looking at apps now, so maybe we'll see IIs soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Complete email 2 days ago, II today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone not gotten a complete email? I was complete 7/18.

I'd wager this means the adcom has just started convening...We may be hearing new statuses soon!