2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would be the best way to get to SUNY? I've never traveled to upstate NY and would love some advice! I currently live in DC :)

I would fly into or drive to Syracuse. Absolutely do not do what @wcohen93 suggested!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
well that way saved me over $150, so it depends on your financial situation. Can't really beat the megabus $1 ticket...

I called in asking if we would get scratch paper in the MMI and they said no... but that we can bring our own. Would it be weird to ask on the day of? It helps me to think on paper!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called in asking if we would get scratch paper in the MMI and they said no... but that we can bring our own. Would it be weird to ask on the day of? It helps me to think on paper!
Maybe just bring your own? You can bring a pad of paper and should probably bring a pen anyway.

Maybe just bring your own? You can bring a pad of paper and should probably bring a pen anyway.
Yeah i was going to bring my own. I was wondering if it would be weird to ask if we can use it (some people were saying on other threads).

Yeah i was going to bring my own. I was wondering if it would be weird to ask if we can use it (some people were saying on other threads).
Ohhh I see haha. Yeah maybe at the beginning of each interview ask if they are comfortable with you using paper.

I just interviewed here this week. They don't allow any note-taking during the MMI itself.

Reactions: 1 user
I got put on hold. Complete late July. Not much chance of getting interviewed now, hmm?

Last edited:
Has anyone actually been rejected pre-interview yet? I've been put on hold and it seems that's true, based on what's been posted here, for everyone who has NOT received an interview (or stony silence). Is that how it's worked historically - either initial hold or interview?

Has anyone actually been rejected pre-interview yet? I've been put on hold and it seems that's true, based on what's been posted here, for everyone who has NOT received an interview (or stony silence). Is that how it's worked historically - either initial hold or interview?
Yes

Does anybody know when this school begins to send rejections?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the actual interview is if I scheduled the 8:45am slot? Is it first thing or at the end?

Anyone know when the actual interview is if I scheduled the 8:45am slot? Is it first thing or at the end?
it is first thing. which is why i chose the earlier, as the later time interviews in the afternoon

I wouldn't sweat this -- the MMI is pretty laid back and honestly they just want to see how you sit and chat about a topic for a few minutes. They're not looking that you come up with the world's greatest answer to their question, just that you can sit down, have an engaging back-and-forth, and address the topic. They know you've had 2 minutes to prep.

Hey everyone! MS1 currently at SUNY Upstate checking in. Congrats to those who have received interviews thus far! If anyone has any questions about SUNY Upstate feel free to shoot me a message! Also, if you are looking for a place to stay, I will be Subleasing my apartment next to campus for those who want a cheaper place to stay, as I know hotels can be a lot of $$$$$$!

Good luck everybody!

Received II on Sept 15, application submitted & confirmation Sept 12! International (Canadian) applicant, was wondering if I could get some tips on the application process :)

Does anyone know of the II to acceptance ratio for upstate?

Received II on Sept 15, application submitted & confirmation Sept 12! International (Canadian) applicant, was wondering if I could get some tips on the application process :)

Tips as in the MMI? How the interview day is? Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Edit: Congratulations!

MS1 here! Feel free to PM any questions you might have and ill try my best to help. I didn't get an interview invite until AFTER being placed on hold, and also receiving an interview in early January, so there is hope for you guys who have been placed on hold. Keep your spirits high!

II!! Checked portal schedueled for 11/01!!

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get admitted after receiving an interview invite?

II!! 11/01 buddies see ya there!

LM ~65 OOS URM complete: 9/26

Does anyone know how many minutes each MMI station is?

Does anyone know how many minutes each MMI station is?
MMIs are usually 2 minutes to read the prompt and 6 minutes to interact with the interviewer.

MMIs are usually 2 minutes to read the prompt and 6 minutes to interact with the interviewer.

Haha yeah! Not to be too neurotic, but I've heard of a few minute variation either way depending on the school, so I just wanted to know what I was walking into haha

Arent they usually 2 min for prompt and 8 min for answering?

Put on hold today. OOS complete mid august

Does on hold basically mean rejection? Was put on hold today.

Does on hold basically mean rejection? Was put on hold today.
A "hold" prior to an interview is not a rejection. There are many students I know who were initially put on hold, received an interview, and are now attending Upstate.
A "hold" after an interview is pretty much a rejection, unfortunately. Students on hold are rarely accepted.

*Note: High priority list =/= "hold"

A "hold" prior to an interview is not a rejection. There are many students I know who were initially put on hold, received an interview, and are now attending Upstate.
A "hold" after an interview is pretty much a rejection, unfortunately. Students on hold are rarely accepted.

*Note: High priority list =/= "hold"
Thank you! I'm OOS, never received an interview invite, but was directly placed on hold. Didn't know if I should cross this school off my list or keep my hopes up! Would love to atleast interview here.

Portal Cleared...here's to next week.

(Portal Clear = disappearance of your interview "portal" link and congratulatory heading. In years past this has indicated that your application has been reviewed)

When was your interview?
Portal Cleared...here's to next week.

(Portal Clear = disappearance of your interview "portal" link and congratulatory heading. In years past this has indicated that your application has been reviewed)[/QUOTE