2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Complete 8/8, IS, LM 76

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just added and submitted! Yes, I'm very behind you all and it def could've been a $110 donation... but I'm still excited to see what happens haha :)

II haven't checked the portal in a while!
Complete 8/3
IS

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! First of all, good luck my fellow applicants. I'm new to SDN & this thread. I'm writing because I got an interview at upstate (Woohoo! In-state tuition & a great school, yessssss). But now I'm freaking out because it says they conduct and MMI. I am NOT familiar with this format of interviews, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I did watch some YouTube videos and it looks like there's actors? How does one prepare for this?

Just got an MSTP II today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was complete 8/16, OOS

Put on hold this morning, womp womp :( (3.43 | 526 | OOS but was a NYS resident until age 21)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also on hold, IS, URM. Bummed but at least not rejected!

Got put on hold, anyone know if theres any chance of gaining an interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I personally didn't get off hold there when I applied the first time. However, there's always hope! I forget upstate's policy, but if they accept updates and stuff, be sure to send them! Let them know you're seriously interested!

Do they ever send a rejection?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Technically, they never rejected me from 2015-2016 cycle. Hey upstate, am I still on hold??? Chance me for getting off hold list pls for 2015-2016??? :p

But yes, they do send rejections out, according to last year's thread, students on hold pre-II, started getting rejected on Dec. 15. As a disclaimer, I haven't extensively looked at last year's thread, so there may have been more pre-hold II rejections earlier, or the mass slaughter/ejection of hold applicants occurred later on. Additionally, according to last year's thread, hold applicants aren't reviewed again until December 1.

However, notice this post, a pre-II Holder, to interview invite, to acceptance here. So there's always hope!

Reactions: 2 users
On hold as well. Were people rejected? Or is everyone put on hold that they dont accept?

I didn't receive any email about being put on hold. My portal still shows "not entered". Those with holds, what does it say in your portal?

Last edited:
I didn't receive any email about being put on hold. My portal still shows "not entered". Those with holds, what does it say in your portal?

It looks the same, no changes, still says not entered. Just received email about status on hold.

Does anyone know if Upstate allows updates of a non-academic nature? Can't find it on their website.

Also on hold at 6am this morning (who is working on Labor Day...). Complete last week in July. Ugh IS and love this school.

I haven't received an "on hold" email. Does that mean I am not on hold? But my portal does say "not entered" like you guys.

I haven't received an "on hold" email. Does that mean I am not on hold? But my portal does say "not entered" like you guys.
If you submitted in July I would assume you are on hold. They are sending them out in batches. Some people got them yesterday, others today.

If you submitted in July I would assume you are on hold. They are sending them out in batches. Some people got them yesterday, others today.

Yes, I was complete 7/13. May be rejections will be coming out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best

[deleted]

Last edited:
II! Complete August 22. Are the earliest interview dates left only in December?

A little confused over here. Is the character count posted on this page incorrect? I'm seeing 1500 on the secondary, not 1800.

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an II if you're placed on hold?

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an II if you're placed on hold?
From what I remember seeing on here from the last time I applied, very very low chances of getting an II from hold

Anyone have any tips regarding their MMI process? Do they have a traditional interview station where I'll be asked traditional interview questions as well?

Anyone have any tips regarding their MMI process? Do they have a traditional interview station where I'll be asked traditional interview questions as well?

Just a heads up, all schools that proctor an MMI ask interviewers not to divulge details about the content of the questions asked. I wouldn't expect an answer to this one with specific regard to Upstate.

Is it worth to add this school as an OOS applicant with no ties to NY?

II! Complete August 22. Are the earliest interview dates left only in December?
Yep, Dec 13th is earliest slot when I went to schedule. However there is a waitlist for an earlier slot if someone drops out as well as "last minute" fillers.

Hi all, Upstate M2 here. I will try my best to answer any questions you might have about Upstate.

My cycle: I was put on pre-interview hold at Upstate on Sept 1st, and I received an II in January, interviewed, and was accepted a week later. This also happened to several people last year on last year's thread, so if you're on pre-interview hold, it does not mean you're rejected!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, Upstate M2 here. I will try my best to answer any questions you might have about Upstate.

My cycle: I was put on pre-interview hold at Upstate on Sept 1st, and I received an II in January, interviewed, and was accepted a week later. This also happened to several people last year on last year's thread, so if you're on pre-interview hold, it does not mean you're rejected!
Did you send any updates between September and January?

What would be the best way to get to SUNY? I've never traveled to upstate NY and would love some advice! I currently live in DC :)

What would be the best way to get to SUNY? I've never traveled to upstate NY and would love some advice! I currently live in DC :)

Fly to JKF or Newark, take the respective train line to Penn Station (LIRR or NJT), From penn walk, rideshare, or subway (A, C, or E train uptown 1 stop) to port authority. From there take a bus to Syracuse.

Fly into Syracuse.

Fly to JKF or Newark, take the respective train line to Penn Station (LIRR or NJT), From penn walk, rideshare, or subway (A, C, or E train uptown 1 stop) to port authority. From there take a bus to Syracuse.

...don't do this. Bus would be 6 hours on top of an hour to get to Port Authority.

Reactions: 1 users