2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's the best news I have heard all day as the Utah campus is my number one choice so I almost feel like its an automatic acceptance! haha

If they continue to do interviews and acceptances the same way as in prior years, this is absolutely true. The best thing is that when you arrive, they put a ton of effort into telling you that "Hey, you're here because we like you already. We just need to make sure you're who you say you are and not some crazy person trying to get into medical school." At least, that's what it felt like for me. But it helped me feel very relaxed throughout the entire tour, even while having my interview as the very last thing on the agenda.
In short, take the opportunity during your interview to just relax, be yourself, and get to know the school and the opportunities it will have for you. Don't stress out too much!

And once again, good luck to everyone who received interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Current Utah student here. Research isn't focused on and we are not yet at full capacity of faculty so I am unaware of any current faculty doing research. However if you really want to do research there are plenty of opportunities you just have to seek them out. This is pretty much the norm for most DO schools though.
Hmm, from my experiences so far there are certainly DO programs that have a plethora of research opportunities, work studies, etc. and many faculty doing there own projects.

When you say there are options, you just have to seek them out, are those options within rvu or are they at other institutions that you would collaborate with?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the research opportunities are like at the Utah campus?

You could ask about the Physician Scientist honors track. If you did that one you would be required to do research, but I don't know about the details. Great things to ask at the interview though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the best news I have heard all day as the Utah campus is my number one choice so I almost feel like its an automatic acceptance! haha

Even though the acceptance rate is high, I would still advise that everyone prepare for this interview. Some interviewers might just talk about what you like to do, whereas others might ask you typical "interview" questions. Both interviewers at both campuses asked questions where I could have really made a fool of myself if I wasn't prepared. Bottom line: make sure you're not one of the 20% that don't get accepted. Have fun with it, don't stress it, but be prepared!

CO II just now. I got Utah II two days ago! this looks like an awesome school. excited to go check it out more

Hmm, from my experiences so far there are certainly DO programs that have a plethora of research opportunities, work studies, etc. and many faculty doing there own projects.

When you say there are options, you just have to seek them out, are those options within rvu or are they at other institutions that you would collaborate with?

Which programs do you speak of? Honest curiosity. I can't remember much talk about research from any of the threads I've read through.

CO II just now. I got Utah II two days ago! this looks like an awesome school. excited to go check it out more
Ah lucky! Congrats :) FILEC will be the bane of my existence I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Which programs do you speak of? Honest curiosity. I can't remember much talk about research from any of the threads I've read through.
At my AZCOM interview there was a research center and we talked to some faculty doing their own projects, writing grants, etc. They offered a third year elective rotation on campus where you can work on a project and try to get something published. From what I hear KCUCOM offers similar opportunities. I'm curious as to whether or not rvu will offer research electives..

At my AZCOM interview there was a research center and we talked to some faculty doing their own projects, writing grants, etc. They offered a third year elective rotation on campus where you can work on a project and try to get something published. From what I hear KCUCOM offers similar opportunities. I'm curious as to whether or not rvu will offer research electives..

Participation in the Physician-Scientist Track will provide basic training in the knowledge and skills necessary for success as an academic physician, including: research types (basic science, clinical, translational, educational, public health, etc.), experimental design, data analysis, the granting process, and proficiency in presentation skills. This track is designed to span 7 semesters of the core osteopathic medical education and will not extend the students’ academic program length. Students are required to present a poster or oral presentation at the College’s Annual Research Day, write a grant at the end of academic Year Two, and complete three research rotations during academic Years Three and Four.

This is straight from the RVUCOM handbook. If you are wanting research to boost your CV to get the specialty you want, then RVU has a great track record which is easily seen in each of their matches. However, if you are looking for on-campus wet labs, then honestly RVU probably isn't your best choice. I would suggest going to that school in kansas or Iowa.. I'm not sure which it was that has more of a research focus.

II at Colorado! Finally! One of my top picks! ~3.7 overall ~3.5 science OOS. If anyone wants complete dates etc. just let me know because I will have to look it up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied with a <500 MCAT? I know it says it must 500 or greater but I keep hearing of schools that state that on their website and still accept those with lower stats.

I always struggle with this because the reasons I want to go here are not unique - smartly designed curriculum, nice location, good board metrics, nice facilities, nearby family. That's basically what I wrote, and I can just imagine the groan and eye roll of whoever read my secondary thinking "this **** again!?"

I got II for CO, Would you be interested in any of the honor tracks? I spoke about me wanting to get involved in Global Medicine Track, and my experience in underserved communities in Mexico and locally.

II at Colorado! Finally! One of my top picks! ~3.7 overall ~3.5 science OOS. If anyone wants complete dates etc. just let me know because I will have to look it up.
I would definitely like to know your other stats/file complete date! I'm an OOS student as well with similar GPAs.

I would definitely like to know your other stats/file complete date! I'm an OOS student as well with similar GPAs.
I forgot to put my MCAT:502. I submitted on 7/14. I submitted the Utah app earlier. I was file complete around 7/26 as I was emailed by admissions about one of my letters of recommendation. Anything else?

No wet labs at RVU. There is a physician-scientist track but it is very small. The tracks are pretty competitive to get into so don't be set on tracks.

Complete 7/14; still "file complete" status on portal, no communication since.

Can any current Southern Utah student message me about what they think about the campus, curriculum, faculty, etc. Just want an honest opinion of what the experience has been like so far. Any major bumps? I got an II to RVUCOM-SU mid last week but not sure if I want to go or not.

Do Rocky Vista Colorado and Utah do silent post-secondary rejections? I was complete on July 12 and I see others were complete after me and are getting II's. LizzyM = 68, OOS, cGPA ~3.8, sGPA ~3.9, MCAT 506.

Do Rocky Vista Colorado and Utah do silent post-secondary rejections? I was complete on July 12 and I see others were complete after me and are getting II's. LizzyM = 68, OOS, cGPA ~3.8, sGPA ~3.9, MCAT 506.
No, they will let you know. I got a rejection email from CO 2 weeks ago.

Hey guys!

Thinking about applying to this school for fall 2018 entrance. Too late?

Also, I've been out of school for over 4 years (obviously haven't kept in contact with science professors) - anyone know if they are lenient about LOR not from science professors?

Stats: cGPA - 3.42, MCAT 506, Montana resident, graduated 2013 (many gap years haha)

Last edited:
So. For the hotel list they put out (CO campus), the Radisson looked to be the best option becasue they have an airport shuttle and will shuttle to the interview (no rental car required). However, when I tried to book they acted like they'd never heard of the RVU rate, and I ended up having to pay more than I wanted. Just a heads up if anyone else is planning hotel stuff.

So. For the hotel list they put out (CO campus), the Radisson looked to be the best option becasue they have an airport shuttle and will shuttle to the interview (no rental car required). However, when I tried to book they acted like they'd never heard of the RVU rate, and I ended up having to pay more than I wanted. Just a heads up if anyone else is planning hotel stuff.

Something similar happened to me as well. I ended up convincing her that an RVU rate existed and I did get the discount. However, she insisted that there is not a shuttle to/from the airport. I plan to call the hotel this weekend before I interview next week to ask again, but it looks like Uber might be my only option now. Sorry you had to pay more!

Hey guys!

Thinking about applying to this school for fall 2018 entrance. Too late?

Also, I've been out of school for over 4 years (obviously haven't kept in contact with science professors) - anyone know if they are lenient about LOR not from science professors?

Stats: cGPA - 3.42, MCAT 506, Montana resident, graduated 2013 (many gap years haha)
I graduated in 2013 too and I'm applying this year. I already have a few IIs and your MCAT is way better than mine. I say go for it.

I graduated in 2013 too and I'm applying this year. I already have a few IIs and your MCAT is way better than mine. I say go for it.

What did you do for your LOR?

I emailed the science professors I wanted to write my LORs and they had me fill out a form stating what classes I took with them, what semester, my weaknesses and also what I have been doing since graduation. I also sent my resume. Another thing you could do to help make it easier for them: send a list of organizations and activities you were involved in while in college.

EDIT: If your school does not have such form, send that info in an email anyway so they can look you up.

Call them and ask. Every school is different about their LOR policy. I'm a nontrad and don't have the appropriate letters for 75% of the schools I applied to. Most were very accommodating, some (like PCOM) told me to buzz off.

Call them and ask. Every school is different about their LOR policy. I'm a nontrad and don't have the appropriate letters for 75% of the schools I applied to. Most were very accommodating, some (like PCOM) told me to buzz off.
Or that. That sounds easier.

Rotation sites we have been told of so far include ogden, moab, provo, price, salt lake area, and lots more to come Dr. Park (the Dean) is working hard on establishing these sites. There are also a few third year students already rotating in Utah from the CO campus. Nice thing is we can rotate anywhere we want as long as we are willing to set them up. Also all CO rotation sites are open to Utah Students and vice versa with preference given utah to Utah CO to CO. most of us will have to move for rotations. I am planning on moving just because preference is given to people with kids in school or family in St George to stay and I don't have either of those.
Just as a follow up question. If you move to Moab or Price would you be doing your entire third year there? Those are small towns so I imagine you wouldn't get a ton of exposure in those locations. Or is it more like you travel throughout your third year and, for example, do family medicine in Moab, surgery in SLC, and internal medicine in Ogden?

View attachment 223347 Ouch. RVU-COM told me they have to be 2 science letters. They suggest that I reach out to old science professors, even if the result is poor. Then they hit me with this (good info for you nontrads out there)...

Wow, wish they would state that (ridiculous, IMO) requirement upfront, or make it more prominent if it's hidden somewhere on their site. I forgot that my ability to study disappeared after 3 years since graduation.

Something similar happened to me as well. I ended up convincing her that an RVU rate existed and I did get the discount. However, she insisted that there is not a shuttle to/from the airport. I plan to call the hotel this weekend before I interview next week to ask again, but it looks like Uber might be my only option now. Sorry you had to pay more!

We just called to confirm that nothing has changed with the rate or the shuttle. The Radisson shuttle will pick up and drop off to the airport between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. They also provide transportation to and from the interview. The RVU rate of $94 plus tax is still in effect - pretty good deal as it includes breakfast and the shuttle service. If issues persist, please call admissions to let them know and they will be happy to ensure that you receive the service you were promised.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, wish they would state that (ridiculous, IMO) requirement upfront, or make it more prominent if it's hidden somewhere on their site. I forgot that my ability to study disappeared after 3 years since graduation.

This is not a requirement, just a guideline. RVU does a great deal of assessment to determine variables that may contribute to the success or failure of their students. Being away from a rigorous curriculum for more than 3 years was an indicator that showed up and is something that the admissions committee looks at along with everything else contained in the application.

This is not a requirement, just a guideline. RVU does a great deal of assessment to determine variables that may contribute to the success or failure of their students. Being away from a rigorous curriculum for more than 3 years was an indicator that showed up and is something that the admissions committee looks at along with everything else contained in the application.

Do you work for RVU? What you're saying does not align with what that email says.

Do you work for RVU? What you're saying does not align with what that email says.

Yes; this was advice to help strengthen your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Publicly sharing a screenshot of a private email with school officials could constitute a copyright infringement violation and a confidentiality breach.

Yes; this was advice to help strengthen your application.

Just so you're aware, I am not the person that email was sent to. I wouldn't want my comments on here to affect someone else's application. Thanks for the clarification on this regardless.

We just called to confirm that nothing has changed with the rate or the shuttle. The Radisson shuttle will pick up and drop off to the airport between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. They also provide transportation to and from the interview. The RVU rate of $94 plus tax is still in effect - pretty good deal as it includes breakfast and the shuttle service. If issues persist, please call admissions to let them know and they will be happy to ensure that you receive the service you were promised.
I spoke with them again, they yielded ground on the shuttle (as long as it's scheduled in advance). However, I'm still having problems with the RVU rate. The manager wasn't in though, so I'll try again later. I suspect they will be unwilling to refund me the difference anyway, what with capitalism and all.

Just so you're aware, I am not the person that email was sent to. I wouldn't want my comments on here to affect someone else's application. Thanks for the clarification on this regardless.
:)

I spoke with them again, they yielded ground on the shuttle (as long as it's scheduled in advance). However, I'm still having problems with the RVU rate. The manager wasn't in though, so I'll try again later. I suspect they will be unwilling to refund me the difference anyway, what with capitalism and all.
Talk to Kelly, the front desk manager. If you aren't able to receive a refund for the difference, send me a PM. We give them a lot of business; they need to take care of this and honor the rate.

Just as a follow up question. If you move to Moab or Price would you be doing your entire third year there? Those are small towns so I imagine you wouldn't get a ton of exposure in those locations. Or is it more like you travel throughout your third year and, for example, do family medicine in Moab, surgery in SLC, and internal medicine in Ogden?

I believe it works a little like this. If you rotate in the bigger cities you won't have to travel as much. Rural areas you would need to travel a bit more to get the core rotations that you need (if the certain specialty is not in the area). Just what it sounds like from talking with a friend who did rural rotations.

Has anyone interviewed for Colorado campus yet? If so, how was it?

Can someone help me with what my portal should look like once I'm complete? Right now when I click on admissions status it just says "applicant" and under "file status" it just says "supplemental application - date complete 8-30". I already payed the fee and all my letters/MCAT were through the AACOMAS application. I have waited about two weeks and I still don't see any of this reflected on the site. Is there something wrong, or is it just a lengthy process?

I only ask because I have already had to call two other schools due to problems with letters of recommendation crossing over from the primary.

Can someone help me with what my portal should look like once I'm complete? Right now when I click on admissions status it just says "applicant" and under "file status" it just says "supplemental application - date complete 8-30". I already payed the fee and all my letters/MCAT were through the AACOMAS application. I have waited about two weeks and I still don't see any of this reflected on the site. Is there something wrong, or is it just a lengthy process?

I only ask because I have already had to call two other schools due to problems with letters of recommendation crossing over from the primary.
Hey! Thought I'd help out (because I was there only a few weeks ago and it's horrible!). So once your status changes, the applicant tab disappears entirely. What you'll see, in its place, is an "Interview - UT" tab. For me, I was submitted on 6/20 and offered an interview on 8/29. I hope that helps! Also, I received primary notification via email, not the website. A final thought, it said I was complete since 7/21. All letters were submitted via AACOMAS :)

Last edited:
Hey! Thought I'd help out (because I was there only a few weeks ago and it's horrible!). So once your status changes, the applicant tab disappears entirely. What you'll see, in its place, is an "Interview - UT" tab. For me, I was submitted on 6/20 and offered an interview on 8/29. I hope that helps! Also, I received primary notification via email, not the website. Also, a final thought, it said I was complete since 7/21. All letters were submitted via AACOMAS :)

Did they notify you (or did the portal change) when they got your letters of rec in? I'm just worried mine aren't crossing over or something and therefore they aren't reviewing my app. Good to know (albeit frustrating) that it really takes more than a month though! Thanks for your help

Did they notify you (or did the portal change) when they got your letters of rec in? I'm just worried mine aren't crossing over or something and therefore they aren't reviewing my app. Good to know (albeit frustrating) that it really takes more than a month though! Thanks for your help
Under the status tab, the letters will have a date to the side when they're accepted. That takes a while... I submitted my app on 6/20 and my letters weren't verified until 7/21. The letters took a long time! And then I didn't get an II until late August