2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Under the status tab, the letters will have a date to the side when they're accepted. That takes a while... I submitted my app on 6/20 and my letters weren't verified until 7/21. The letters took a long time! And then I didn't get an II until late August

Great to know, thanks! I submitted 8/30 so it looks like I still have a ways to go. I was just confused cause I submitted the same week at all my other schools and I was complete within a week or two

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone already interviewed and wanted to share any thoughts about the format and the overall day of your interview??

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing tomorrow!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if anyone else had this issue but the rental car is coming up as more money when I use the student discount than without for Utah campus, tried calling and they just gave me the regular rate:/

Not sure if anyone else had this issue but the rental car is coming up as more money when I use the student discount than without for Utah campus, tried calling and they just gave me the regular rate:/

The Radisson hotel has a shuttle apparently. I am just going to use that from the airport and to the school.

Only thing about the Radisson is that they apparently didn't have any Rocky Vista rates either...

Can someone who interviewed today share their thoughts on RVU's interview? Structure of the day? Was it conversation based? What type of questions?

The Radisson hotel has a shuttle apparently. I am just going to use that from the airport and to the school.
I called them today about this (I'm flying in tomorrow) and they said just to call when you collect your luggage and they will pick you up in about 30 minutes. Just so ya know!

Can someone who interviewed today share their thoughts on RVU's interview? Structure of the day? Was it conversation based? What type of questions?
They were all extremely nice and welcoming! They genuinely want you to do well and kept emphasizing that if you were invited for an interview, you have a good chance. They are very selective with who they invite. It started with a brief welcome and pictures, then the Dean talked to us for about an hour. After that, you interviewed with 2 interviewers at the same time. Those who were not interviewing got to try on white coats to see what size would fit them best. After the interviews, two current students took us on a tour of the campus and then had lunch with us (an informal Q&A session). Then, we were told what to expect in terms of when we would hear back and other logistics. We were free to go home afterwards. My interview was conversation-based, but they also asked the usual questions like why medicine/RVU/osteopathy. Overall, just know your application and secondary essays well, and I'm sure you will do great! :)

Reactions: 7 users
They were all extremely nice and welcoming! They genuinely want you to do well and kept emphasizing that if you were invited for an interview, you have a good chance. They are very selective with who they invite. It started with a brief welcome and pictures, then the Dean talked to us for about an hour. After that, you interviewed with 2 interviewers at the same time. Those who were not interviewing got to try on white coats to see what size would fit them best. After the interviews, two current students took us on a tour of the campus and then had lunch with us (an informal Q&A session). Then, we were told what to expect in terms of when we would hear back and other logistics. We were free to go home afterwards. My interview was conversation-based, but they also asked the usual questions like why medicine/RVU/osteopathy. Overall, just know your application and secondary essays well, and I'm sure you will do great! :)

Thank you so much for your detailed response. :) My interview is tomarrow... kinda nervous since it's my first one.

What did they say for how long it would take to hear back about a decision? also, can you decline to try on the white coats? That sounds like Jinxing of the highest possible order.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds simple enough! It seems like DO schools do a good job of keeping the interviews low-stress and conversational.

can you decline to try on the white coats? That sounds like Jinxing of the highest possible order.

Im sure they would not care if you didn't try it on. They just need your size because their white coat ceremony is the week of orientation and they don't have any other time to let you try one on and get them all ordered.

What did they say for how long it would take to hear back about a decision? also, can you decline to try on the white coats? That sounds like Jinxing of the highest possible order.
Refusing to try on the white coat for sizing would send the wrong message. You do not want to do that.

Reactions: 2 users

Dude, DO NOT be the nail that sticks out over something as silly as that. Seriously. People do minor things like that all of the time on job interviews and whatnot and the only message it sends is that you could potentially be a pain in the ass to work with in the future. Fair or not, I can almost guarantee someone will take it poorly if you refuse to try on a coat.

This pretty much sums it up. In addition to meeting the dean, the president of the university made an appearance as well. The entire faculty was very welcoming and encouraged us to ask as many questions as possible. The interview felt familiar to a job interview in some ways but they emphasized that the process was meant to feel relaxed. I do agree that you should know your secondary application fairly well and be completely honest with your answers! I think my interviewers and I spent as much time laughing as we did talking.

The student ambassadors were awesome! They were honest about the program and genuinely seemed to love the place. I honestly cannot wait to hear back!

So be yourself, come prepared, and have a good time. (Also, definitely try on the coats. They do this so they are prepared for the white coat ceremony when that day comes)

Reactions: 2 users
I believe they said the next time that the admissions committee meets is on Sept. 22nd, so most likely, we would hear back the next week. They call if it is an acceptance and email if it is waitlist/rejection. Like others have said, I would say just go ahead and try the white coats on. Trying on the coats won't jinx it because you will already be prepared for the interview to begin with and will do really well on it!

Rejected to CO via the portal after being under review for 30 days. Oh well.

Rejection from CO. Was really excited about this program! Good luck to all applying here!

Applied to CO, complete 8/2, not a word since - "File Complete"

Rejection from CO. Was really excited about this program! Good luck to all applying here!

I'm sorry about that, im sure you will have luck elsewhere! do you remember when you were complete? and mind sharing your stats? Ive been complete for a while and haven't heard a thing

Super excited for the interview this upcoming Tuesday! Trying not to be nervous since everyone says it is so friendly and low stress. Definitely a top choice school for me. I've been reviewing my primary and secondary and the basic why DO, why our school questions. Should be good otherwise right? And basically just act like a human person?

Super excited for the interview this upcoming Tuesday! Trying not to be nervous since everyone says it is so friendly and low stress. Definitely a top choice school for me. I've been reviewing my primary and secondary and the basic why DO, why our school questions. Should be good otherwise right? And basically just act like a human person?
Be sure to chime in on how it went! My interview is coming up in October :) As for interviewing, that's exactly what I did for AZCOM and it turned into an acceptance! Try and recreate the interview, too! Have someone ask you from across the table, practice eye contact, shaking hand, etc. Just be normal and you'll do great!

See you there!

Hi, congrats on your interview. I know some school has students answer to a prompt in writing and I'm wondering if this school does it as well prior going in for the interview ?

The interview is fairly conversational. If this is your first interview I would google medical school interview questions. Practice answering questions on the spot and out loud. Good luck to all of you! Us first years were in your shoes last year and now we are in the middle of MSK. We are excited to see you on campus down here in Utah.

Hi, congrats on your interview. I know some school has students answer to a prompt in writing and I'm wondering if this school does it as well prior going in for the interview ?

You mean like writing a small essay on interview day? Who does that?

ARCOM had us answering an ethical question in 5 minutes and hand it in

Bleh. Well unless RVU has drastically changed their ways recently they don't do that. Just be prepared to talk about stuff.

I'm sorry about that, im sure you will have luck elsewhere! do you remember when you were complete? and mind sharing your stats? Ive been complete for a while and haven't heard a thing

Thanks and sure! 3.75c, 503. Completed first week of august (had to correct a letter). Not hearing anything isn't necessarily a bad thing! You're still in the running.

Any girls want to share hotel/uber on 10/09? Colorado.:hardy:

Is anybody else having trouble filling out the post interview survey online? Or are we supposed to print it out and send it to them?

Finally an application status change received by email - Rejected pre-II, LM 67

Finally an application status change received by email - Rejected pre-II, LM 67
Thanks for sharing, but sorry to hear it :( I guess I'll stop being grumpy about still being FILEC...seems like rejections are starting to role out D: Good luck with your other schools!

Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. There should be an available slot for next monday, 9/25, if someone wants to reschedule and take it.

Best of luck to everyone!

Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. There should be an available slot for next monday, 9/25, if someone wants to reschedule and take it.

Best of luck to everyone!

Do you mind sharing with us why? Or PM me?
I think this is a great school to turn down an interview... I am looking forward to attend this school? Going somewhere else instead?

Thanks!

Do you mind sharing with us why? Or PM me?
I think this is a great school to turn down an interview... I am looking forward to attend this school? Going somewhere else instead?

Thanks!
I should have specified that it was an interview for the Utah campus. I got an acceptance to another school that I preferred, and I'm anticipating good news for a second school that I also preferred.

How long did it take for you guys to be marked complete? I submitted my secondary 8/22 and my portal is still in the "APPL" stage

How long did it take for you guys to be marked complete? I submitted my secondary 8/22 and my portal is still in the "APPL" stage
Took me about 9 days! Might be taking longer because somewhat later in the cycle, but a month seems like a longtime to progress to what is the seemingly never ending FILEC stage. Might be worth checking in with them soon.

My file has been complete at both campuses for quite sometime. The Colorado campus is one of my top choices. Does anyone suggest I email them to express my interest and inquire about my status?

My file has been complete at both campuses for quite sometime. The Colorado campus is one of my top choices. Does anyone suggest I email them to express my interest and inquire about my status?
Definitely not. Still early in the cycle.

Hey i'm a current student at RVUCOM UT, if you want any insights or have any questions or want to meet up on your interview day let me know!