2017-2018 Psychology Interview Invite Thread PhD./Psy.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmjdondante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are a few schools that have already sent out invites and a majority of applications were due about a week ago. I figured I would start this thread (mainly because I am overly anxious) since no one else has.

I am copying and pasting the format from past interview threads:

School Name:
Date Interview Invite Received:
Degree: PhD/PsyD
Type: Clinical/Counseling/School/Combined/Experimental (w/in Experimental please specify social, developmental, cognitive, neuroscience, etc.).
Track: e.g., adult, child, health, etc.
Notified via:Email, phone call, post
Interview Date:
Additional Info:e.g., social event the night before, expenses (partially) covered, etc

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I know that there are a few schools that have already sent out invites and a majority of applications were due about a week ago. I figured I would start this thread (mainly because I am overly anxious) since no one else has.

I am copying and pasting the format from past interview threads:

School Name:
Degree
: PhD/PsyD
Type: Clinical/Counseling/School/Combined/Experimental (w/in Experimental please specify social, developmental, cognitive, neuroscience, etc.).
Track: e.g., adult, child, health, etc.
Notified via:Email, phone call, post
Interview Date:
Additional Info:
e.g., social event the night before, expenses (partially) covered, etc

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for starting it! Good luck to you too!

Actually, there is a thread already started for this year. It's titled "2016-2017 APPIC Internship Interview Thread." The wrong date is in the title, which is probably why people are missing it. It is definitely active for the current cycle. Didn't want you to do a bunch of work that's already been done (unless you simply want to, that is) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there is a thread already started for this year. It's titled "2016-2017 APPIC Internship Interview Thread." The wrong date is in the title, which is probably why people are missing it. It is definitely active for the current cycle. Didn't want you to do a bunch of work that's already been done (unless you simply want to, that is) :)

If I understand correctly, this thread is for interview invites for graduate school, while the other is for interview invites for internship while in graduate school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If I understand correctly, this thread is for interview invites for graduate school, while the other is for interview invites for internship while in graduate school.

Ohhhhhhh! You are totally right!! My brain is all wonky between dissertation data collection and the APPIC process. Apologies! Carry on :)

School Name: Florida State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/16
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 1/28
Additional Info: Informal social event by grad students on the night of the 27th. Offer to stay with grad student for two nights.

School Name: Florida State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/16
Interview Date: 1/28
Additional Info: Informal social event by grad students on the night of the 27th. Offer to stay with grad student for two nights.

Would you mind telling me who your POI is? Congrats!!

School Name: University of Oregon
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/16
Degree
: PhD
Type: Counseling Psychology
Interview Date:
Friday, January 27th
Additional Info: Dinner January 26th, Student Social to follow interviews

Last edited:
School Name: UC Santa Barbara (UCSB)
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/2/16
Type: Combined Counseling/Clinical/School
Track: School
Interview Date: 12/7/16
Additional Info: Skype interview. Should know within next few weeks if I am invited to on-site interview

I never even heard of this SDN forum until I was applying for internships. I'm curious to know - how did you guys find out about this form pre-grad school? Best of luck during the application process- it's stressful but hang in there!

I never even heard of this SDN forum until I was applying for internships. I'm curious to know - how did you guys find out about this form pre-grad school? Best of luck during the application process- it's stressful but hang in there!
You underestimate our neuroticism.

Reactions: 5 users

I found out about this forum and another one from some friends who applied to grad school in previous years. Starting to wish I had never heard of them, just watching interview offers come in, even though they are none of the schools I applied to, increases my anxiety level

School Name: University of Houston
Degree
Interview Date: February 10
Additional Info: Student Social February 9

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: University of Georgia
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 1/20/17
Additional Info: social gathering on 1/19, offer to stay with grad students for two nights, transportation assistance to/from events

Last edited:
I found out about this forum and another one from some friends who applied to grad school in previous years. Starting to wish I had never heard of them, just watching interview offers come in, even though they are none of the schools I applied to, increases my anxiety level

This forum is definitely not for everyone. I avoided the forums for graduate school, and also for internship until I knew the best and worst news about my interviews from other (direct) sources. At that point, it became helpful for commiseration and scheduling (e.g., if one of my last sites sent out invites, I didn't have to try to hold their interview dates any more).

If you know you'll likely be *more* stressed from watching the forums, try to avoid them. Especially for graduate school, when the timing of invites are often scattered by advisor, there just wouldn't have been a net gain for me.

Best of luck all!!!

I was filled with intense regret that I had discovered it during internship apps as I saw invites rolling in for other people. You're definitely not alone! It gets better :) Hang in there, and good luck!

School Name: University of Arizona
Degree
Type: Cognitive/Neural Systems
Interview Date: February 9-11

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/16
Additional Info: On-site interview!!!

Reactions: 1 users
School Name: Oklahoma State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/16
Notified via: Emails
Interview Date: 2/11/16
Additional Info: free housing with grad students available; breakfast and dinner covered, lunch at interviewee's expense

Notified via: Emails
Interview Date: 2/11/16
Additional Info: free housing with grad students available; breakfast and dinner covered, lunch at interviewee's expense

Emphasis is mine. Making interviewee's pay for lunch is just bad form. As a department, you can't budget $8-10 per applicant, even to order Subway?

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/16
Degree
Additional Info:
On-site interview!!!

Just realized I didn't add legitimate information.

All day interview and information session on 1/20. Possibility for lodging with graduate students. No formal events, but encouraged to explore campus and surrounding area.

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/16
Track:
Interview Date:
Additional Info:

I saw on Grad Café that Ohio State, Ohio University, and West Virginia University have each extended at least one interview offer. Is anyone familiar with these programs and how they extend offers? Are the all sent out at once or are they individually sent by POIs, meaning that they might not all get sent simultaneously for the same program?

I saw on Grad Café that Ohio State, Ohio University, and West Virginia University have each extended at least one interview offer. Is anyone familiar with these programs and how they extend offers? Are the all sent out at once or are they individually sent by POIs, meaning that they might not all get sent simultaneously for the same program?

I got an email from my POI about a Skype interview from West Virginia. I will hear back about an in person interview sometime next week.

School Name: Antioch University New England
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/16/16
Degree: PsyD
Interview Date: 1/14/17
Additional Info: I applied for early admissions, so regular admissions interview invites will go out in January. Day-long process, including individual and group interviews, and information sessions. Breakfast and lunch are provided.

Last edited:
School Name: Antioch University New England
Interview Date: 1/14/17
Additional Info: I applied for early admissions, so regular admissions interview invites will go out in January. Day-long process, including individual and group interviews, and information sessions. Breakfast and lunch are provided.

Googled this program, because I've never heard of it before.

http://www.antiochne.edu/financial/clinical-psychology-department-program-tuition-and-fees/
Total Program Cost: $147,762

http://www.antiochne.edu/wp-content...-Admissions-Outcomes-Other-Data-2015-2016.pdf
Average match rate 2009 to 2016: 51.76%

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a very good program.

Just realized I didn't add legitimate information.

All day interview and information session on 1/20. Possibility for lodging with graduate students. No formal events, but encouraged to explore campus and surrounding area.

Do you know if all tracks (Counseling/Clinical/School) are on the same on-site interview date? And do you know if all on-site interview invites have been sent? Thanks and good luck!

Do you know if all tracks (Counseling/Clinical/School) are on the same on-site interview date? And do you know if all on-site interview invites have been sent? Thanks and good luck!

I'm not sure about the other tracks but I do think it might be the same day. I've been checking gradcafe like a mad woman and not that many people have posted, so I don't think all on-site interview invites have been sent out yet. Given the early app deadline, I would assume they will extend most offers this coming week before the holidays.

Thanks and good luck to you too! :)

School Name: University of Arkansas
From: Director of Clinical Training with Separate Follow-Up From POI
Interview Date: 1/23/17
Additional Info: Limited offers of lodging with graduate students; transportation to/from airport.

Literally was in a DSW store sobbing with one of my best girlfriends when I got the news. I applied last year with no interview offers at all, so I'm still in shock!

Reactions: 4 users
School Name: University of Oklahoma
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: 2/3/17
Additional Info: 8:30am informal continental breakfast w/faculty & students. Interviews to start at 9am and to end by noon

12/16/16
Additional Info: Limited offers of lodging with graduate students; transportation to/from airport.

Literally was in a DSW store sobbing with one of my best girlfriends when I got the news. I applied last year with no interview offers at all, so I'm still in shock!

that's awesome news! Do you by chance mind messaging me your POI's initials?

Wondering if you could message me your POI's name? I'm so nervous that I won't get any interviews! This will be my second time applying as well.

School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University
12/18/16
Type: School-Clinical Child
Track: N/A
Interview Date: 2/9/17
Additional Info: 10:30 AM - 2:25 PM, group orientation, group meeting, interview w/ program director, meet with students, feedback, tour; bring CV and photo

Is it normal to ask a candidate to bring a photo? Never heard of that before

School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology,

Is it normal to ask a candidate to bring a photo? Never heard of that before

I've never heard of that - but I did go on interviews where they took our photos. It helps them to remember who everyone is. It's actually a pretty good idea

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/18/16
Notified via: Phone call due to me not receiving their email. They re-sent email to correct address.
Interview Date: 2/9 or 2/10
Additional Info: Interviews morning of 2/9, morning of 2/10 and afternoon of 2/10 (you must notify of your preferred time and they will let you know when you are going to be interviewed). Dinner thursday night (2/9) and Friday night (2/10) with current students. They are interviewing 30 candidates for 8 positions.

I've never heard of that - but I did go on interviews where they took our photos. It helps them to remember who everyone is. It's actually a pretty good idea
I heard a horror story from a friend from where they went to undergrad, where one year the faculty loved one person and thought another was a dud. They had similar names. Accidentally offered admission to the dud. I see the utility of photos on an interview day.
But I also heard there was one program that asked people to submit an photo with they *application*. That seems crazy inappropriate.

Here are my two updates:

School Name: University of Southern California
Type: Clinical Science (Clinical Psychology)
Notified via: email
From: DCT via email from administrative assistant (also corresponding with POI)
Interview Date: 1/13/17
Additional Info: dinner the night before hosted by grad students, travel expenses partially covered for out-of-town folks

School Name: University of Alabama
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Geropsychology
From: POI (admin assistant will send items via snail mail)
Interview Date: 1/27/17
Additional Info: dinner the night before hosted by grad students, does not sound like travel expenses are paid for by program

Last edited:
But I also heard there was one program that asked people to submit an photo with they *application*. That seems crazy inappropriate.

I assumed it would be to remember who is who but i was afraid there was the possibility that my appearance would affect my chances. I'm sure that's not the case here but caught me off guard at first

I assumed it would be to remember who is who but i was afraid there was the possibility that my appearance would affect my chances. I'm sure that's not the case here but caught me off guard at first
If they asked for photos with an application, appearance would affect outcomes; that's just a truism from social psych, and one of many good examples of departments making up whatever interview procedure they want without consulting HR people about hiring processes.
At an interview it wouldn't matter bc they already saw you. :)

School Name: Chestnut Hill College
Track: Assessment
Interview Date: 1/24/17
Additional Info: The interview consists of meeting one-on-one with two core faculty members and socializing with current students. Each interview is approximately 30 mins and (I have been told) are set in a neutral environment i.e. a lounge area as opposed to an office. There isn't much else I can offer here other than the campus is gorgeous and the faculty have been extremely friendly. The licensure rate is a bit low which is a concern. I'd love any feedback!

Anyone heard back from University of Alabama? I saw someone posted on Grad Café, but didn't list their POI or specialty/concentration.

Anyone heard back from University of Alabama? I saw someone posted on Grad Café, but didn't list their POI or specialty/concentration.

If you look a few posts back, I said that I heard from Alabama last Friday afternoon. Message me if you want more info or the name of my POI.

School Name: UM College Park
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/2016
Track: NA
Interview Date: Phone interview.
Additional Info:

School Name: University of Florida
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/16
Track: Neuropsych
Interview Date: Feb. 17th and 18th
Additional Info: Can try to house with graduate students w/similar interests, program begins at 7:45 am on the Friday and ends at 2pm on Saturday.

Last edited:
Googled this program, because I've never heard of it before.

http://www.antiochne.edu/financial/clinical-psychology-department-program-tuition-and-fees/
Total Program Cost: $147,762

http://www.antiochne.edu/wp-content...-Admissions-Outcomes-Other-Data-2015-2016.pdf
Average match rate 2009 to 2016: 51.76%

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a very good program.

I originally applied there, was offered an interview, and declined with a short, formal email(was already offered admissions at other schools, and it was my way back up). The person who answered my email (I think it was a program assistant) was very rude, and I felt she was probing for information about other programs.

I have a friend who interviewed there and declined as well. She said the campus was pretty, but that they professors didn't seem professional/didn't have much research in their areas.

My updates thus far:

School Name: University of Southern Mississippi
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec. 15th
Track: adult
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: 2/8 or 2/9
Additional Info: grad student social on the evening of 2/8; lodging with grad students available

School Name: Miami University (Ohio)
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec. 16th
Track: adult
Interview Date: Preliminary phone interview scheduled this week
Additional Info: POI said they will get back about the official interview by the end of this week

School Name: University of Victoria
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec. 17th
Track: lifespan
Interview Date: Preliminary Skype interview set up
Additional Info:

School Name: UM College Park
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/2016
Track: NA
Interview Date: Phone interview.
Additional Info:
Congrats on the phone interview! Would you be willing to share your POI by PM?

School Name: University of Souther California (USC)
Track: geropsych
Interview Date: Friday, Jan. 13th
Additional Info: dinner the night before, sounds like potential partial reimbursement

School Name:
University of Florida
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19/16
Track: Neuropsych
Interview Date: Feb. 17th and 18th
Additional Info: mention of housing with graduate students

School Name: Washington State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/7/16
Type: Biological Psychology
Track:
Interview Date: December 29
Additional Info: Skype interview with POI

School Name: Virginia Tech
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/8/2016
Type: Developmental Sciences
Track:
Interview Date: December 20
Additional Info: Skype Interview with POI

School Name: University of Tulsa
12/19/16
Notified via: POI phone call
Interview Date: 1/27/17
Additional Info: follow up on lodging/transportation to come; social night and tour on 1/26/17