2017-2018 PM&R Away Rotation Info Sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff6806

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sitting around killing time today so I made an excel sheet with some info to help me figure out what needs to get done for away rotations next year at different institutions. I put it on a google sheet so if anyone wants to add anything to it or fix any mistakes I've made please feel free. I think most of it is pretty self-explanatory. VSAS if the application is there, direct if it's their own application you need to submit. Of note, some schools specifically require BLS cards and won't accept ACLS cards. I believe only Ohio State requires ACLS. Mayo requires a personal statement. NYP has a 2-time PPD placement requirement. Those are the only real unique situations I remember. I added a link to each program's visiting student page. Hope it's helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all of the work! Has anyone else noticed that there aren't a ton of programs on VSAS for june/july?

Thanks for all of the work! Has anyone else noticed that there aren't a ton of programs on VSAS for june/july?

That's because new interns start in July so it's a terrible time to do an away rotation and most programs are busy dealing with new intern stuff to be able to accommodate students.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's because new interns start in July so it's a terrible time to do an away rotation and most programs are busy dealing with new intern stuff to be able to accommodate students.
Didn't think about that. Thanks!

I was sitting around killing time today so I made an excel sheet with some info to help me figure out what needs to get done for away rotations next year at different institutions. I put it on a google sheet so if anyone wants to add anything to it or fix any mistakes I've made please feel free. I think most of it is pretty self-explanatory. VSAS if the application is there, direct if it's their own application you need to submit. Of note, some schools specifically require BLS cards and won't accept ACLS cards. I believe only Ohio State requires ACLS. Mayo requires a personal statement. NYP has a 2-time PPD placement requirement. Those are the only real unique situations I remember. I added a link to each program's visiting student page. Hope it's helpful.

Jeff 8606: very helpful. did a lot of programs require LOR'S? Seems you only had a few that did.
Thanks in advance.

Jeff 8606: very helpful. did a lot of programs require LOR'S? Seems you only had a few that did.
Thanks in advance.

Of the programs I looked at, most did not. Determining program requirements can be a massive pain and unfortunately my chart even had one or two errors that I realized in the process of actually applying on VSAS. I made the chart because VSAS doesn't make it easy to get a succinct list of what you need to get done to apply. I would just check out the visiting student pages of places you want to go where you will find the general requirements for that school. Then look at the PM&R department page for that school because sometimes they're listed there, if not there then in the VSAS course description because some PM&R rotations have additional requirements beyond the general requirements of the school.

Reactions: 1 user
this isnt about 2017 aways but when i was doing mine i wish there had been a good PM&R student reference app. Just saw that they have one now called Pocket Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation in iTunes. Just in case you needed something for your aways...

Reactions: 1 user
This is awesome thanks! I'm looking to do an away elective this year as a TY intern and this is helpful!

For any of you in the Atlanta area, I do recommend Dr. Ghaffari inpatient rehab. I felt like I learned a lot because he pushes you. Definitely not easy, but a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile