2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm wondering the same thing....also, is it possible to follow a thread without posting in it?
yes! you can click on watch thread above on the right-hand side of your screen!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I like how it didn't even say invitation to complete-it was a reminder that the application is incomplete. Either way, secondary received!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got the same email too, "application incomplete." I wondered if it was because I didnt include a 3rd faculty LOR. Do you think I should pay the $75 and proceed?

I got the same email too, "application incomplete." I wondered if it was because I didnt include a 3rd faculty LOR. Do you think I should pay the $75 and proceed?

Wondering the same thing. I only have 2 science faculty and 1 physician letter... Don't know if I should spend the money if they won't accept that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering the same thing. I only have 2 science faculty and 1 physician letter... Don't know if I should spend the money if they won't accept that!

I've read that they're pretty strict about the letter requirements...it might be worth giving them a call before spending the $75!

I called them to ask them about this and they said they are strict about the LOR requirements. Thankfully, my dean put that she was my "faculty advisor" in her letter and that suffices for the "premed advisor/committee letter" requirement.

I called them to ask them about this and they said they are strict about the LOR requirements. Thankfully, my dean put that she was my "faculty advisor" in her letter and that suffices for the "premed advisor/committee letter" requirement.
Dang that's frustrating.. :/ Thanks

Nope. I have 3 faculty and a physician letter and I got the exact same email. I think it's in regard to payment.

additionally, on the 2016-2017 thread there was one question...." * Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (250 Words max)"

but I do not see it......o_O

D7Jhpnq.png

Okay so do they even have secondary questions? They don't mention anything but have a box for supplemental application. Unless that's just going to be a box to say they got everything. Definitely not clear

Also, do they automatically get the MCAT Scores and LORs? They're submitted on AACOMAS so I'm just trying to figure out what I have to do on my part. Pay $75 and call it a day? Help pls

Anyone know how strict they are on the two science faculty one non-science faculty letters? Think they'd take 2 science and 1 physician instead?
Three faculty letters of recommendation: Two of those three letters must be from SCIENCE professors (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs). Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor that issued a grade in a course that appears on the applicant's institutional transcript. The course number and title must be noted in the letter. -PCOM Website

So, one non-science letter doesn't appear to actually be required. You just need three letters from professors. Two must be from science professors, and the third can be from a science professor or a non-science professor. Right?

I got the same weird E-mail. I have a committee letter (3 science professors, 1 advisor, and 2 non-science professors), a D.O. letter, and a M.D. letter, so I think they just sent that E-mail to everybody. Either way, I payed my 75$ and now I guess we wait!

Three faculty letters of recommendation: Two of those three letters must be from SCIENCE professors (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs). Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor that issued a grade in a course that appears on the applicant's institutional transcript. The course number and title must be noted in the letter. -PCOM Website

So, one non-science letter doesn't appear to actually be required. You just need three letters from professors. Two must be from science professors, and the third can be from a science professor or a non-science professor. Right?

That is how I understand it, yes!

Members don't see this ad :)
D7Jhpnq.png

Okay so do they even have secondary questions? They don't mention anything but have a box for supplemental application. Unless that's just going to be a box to say they got everything. Definitely not clear

Also, do they automatically get the MCAT Scores and LORs? They're submitted on AACOMAS so I'm just trying to figure out what I have to do on my part. Pay $75 and call it a day? Help pls

I have the same question. I've sent my letters, MCAT scores to AACOMAS already so they should get this soon, I'm assuming.

I'm assuming there's no essay? :thinking:

its possible that this is just the portal, and the supplemental app will be sent out separately at a later date ( just going off the requirements)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the secondary invite to be so weird.

Hi everyone! So do they really not have any secondary questions? Because when I downloaded my completed AACOMAS primary app to PCOM, there was a secondary question on the last page. But there was no way to fill it out since there wasn't a space to do so in the primary. I'll call the school tomorrow and ask. Then I'll report back.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, this is what I've found on the school specific AACOMAS site:

"Your campus-specific application will be processed and assessed by the appropriate Faculty Committee on Admissions only after the receipt of:
  • Non-refundable PCOM application fee of $75
  • PCOM Supplemental Application (Link is sent via email after application verification.)
  • Official MCAT score report (Tests taken before August 2015 will not be considered.)
  • Fulfillment of our Letter of Recommendation requirement"
Also, I'm just checking that nobody here was able to submit any secondary questions on the primary app?

Found this on their website about the MCAT. They seem really anal about the LOR requirement so I guess I'll email them to make sure I have what they consider science before tossing $75

Official MCAT score report which can be sent to PCOM as follows:
  • Send directly from AAMC to AACOMAS so long as AACOMAS accepts updates
  • After AACOMAS stops accepting updates, you can send your AAMC verification code and ID via e-mail to [email protected].

Hi everyone! So do they really not have any secondary questions? Because when I downloaded my completed AACOMAS primary app to PCOM, there was a secondary question on the last page. But there was no way to fill it out since there wasn't a space to do so in the primary. I'll call the school tomorrow and ask. Then I'll report back.

I know in the past they have had 1 question on their secondary but the lack of a question is very unusual. I guess we have to wait.

Sorry you guys are having trouble. The admissions office is exceedingly kind and will do their best to help. Why?

Because PCOM is the best, that's why.

edit: I had secondary question(s) last year. Not sure if they may have removed it!

I know in the past they have had 1 question on their secondary but the lack of a question is very unusual. I guess we have to wait.

Hey, I too noticed this issue over a month ago and spoke with both AACOMAS and PCOM at that time. The AACOMAS representative seemed "concerned" and escalated my call to a manager. It was then that I was advised to create a response to the question, as she was thinking they'd have to manually go in and assign responses to already completed applications (since they can't re-open applications).

However, when I spoke with PCOM, they didn't seem worried about the situation. This might be a glitch in the idea of having some schools ascribe secondaries to the initial primary application. Hopefully it works out in the end! :)

I am in a similar situation. I don't have that non-science professor letter but I do have a letter from my "pre-health advisor." I know this isn't the same as your dean's letter, but do you think they would consider mine as a committee letter too?

I am in a similar situation. I don't have that non-science professor letter but I do have a letter from my "pre-health advisor." I know this isn't the same as your dean's letter, but do you think they would consider mine as a committee letter too?

Verbatim from PCOM's site: "A letter of recommendation from your pre-health or academic advisor/committee (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs)."

I would think that if your pre-med advisor stated that in the letter, that you would be fine! I had to contact my dean to make sure she stated herself as my dean, my faculty advisor, and my physiology professor in the LOR itself. Always defer to calling PCOM to confirm because your mileage may vary!

Lol secondary received, agree with you all. No essays required just $75 per school if I'm not mistaken?

Verbatim from PCOM's site: "A letter of recommendation from your pre-health or academic advisor/committee (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs)."

I would think that if your pre-med advisor stated that in the letter, that you would be fine! I had to contact my dean to make sure she stated herself as my dean, my faculty advisor, and my physiology professor in the LOR itself. Always defer to calling PCOM to confirm because your mileage may vary!

Okay awesome! My advisor was actually my "pre-vet" advisor since that was my major in school. But I asked him to label himself more broadly as my pre-health advisor instead because of things like this. I'm hoping he did so they'll accept my letter!

Logged on to SDN to ask if anyone else had gotten this weird incomplete email haha...such a strange way to word a secondary email!

Oh well, happy to have received it anyways

Logged on to SDN to ask if anyone else had gotten this weird incomplete email haha...such a strange way to word a secondary email!

Oh well, happy to have received it anyways

+1 lol the other PCOM forum for the Georgia campus is the same

Also to all the questions about a non-science LOR. This is what the secondary says about LORs
  1. The "Pre-Health Advisor/Committee Letter" will appear as required until the approved letter is received and/or all three of the alternative letters (two science faculty/one other faculty) are received/processed.
  2. Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor who issued a grade for a course noted on your institutional transcript
ps: if someone already posted this my b I just kind of skimmed to get a jist of "everyone thinks the e-mail was weird"

andddddddddd we have a secondary

...Also I just got an e-mail from both campus with the secondary essays

So I got a receipt of payment and in there is the link for the secondary!

PCOM Secondary Question:

Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (Max 250 words)

@chizledfrmstone

Wait am I crazy, or does the secondary ask for AAMC ID and not AACOMAS?

Did anyone submit yet? What happened? Is there a question or no? Or do you just pay?

In case anyone was wondering, I emailed them about this and they said "The Committee does not allow exceptions or substitutions to the letter requirement. Without the required letter(s) a file will not be complete and sent for review."
:(

I only got the email for the Georgia campus. Hopefully when they send out the right email tonight I get one for both

Good morning everyone. We hope this message finds you all well.

As you can tell, we began processing applications through AACOMAS. Overnight, many of you received an email indicating that your application is incomplete. Please ignore this message. What you should receive first from us is an acknowledgment email with instructions on how to complete the application for admission including the hyperlink for the supplemental application. If you have received the incomplete message and have not received the acknowledgment email, please be patient. It should be sent to you in our overnight process.

We thank you for your interest in PCOM and wish you well in the review process!

Reactions: 9 users
I got both emails! First the incomplete one, but a few hours later the link to the secondary for both PA and GA :)

So I contacted one of my LOR writers, who was also my academic advisor to see how she phrased it in the letter she wrote me.

Apparently she wrote, that she was my 4-year plan advisor. Ahhh... I hope that's good enough for them

Super excited about this school! I interviewed 2 years ago and was rejected after interview. Took the last 2 years to really improve my app and I feel much more ready this time! Good luck everyone

Anyone else having trouble condensing their supplemental essay into 250 words?

I know it's nice to not have to write too much, but a 250 word limit is really limiting.

Anyone else having trouble condensing their supplemental essay into 250 words?

I know it's nice to not have to write too much, but a 250 word limit is really limiting.
Yea after about an hour of editing I got it down to exactly 250 words haha