2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't afford to take the (very likely) risk of being committed.
Lol we'd probably get the same diagnosis.... Neuroticism, anal retentive, borderline OCD.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else's LOR appear as "not received"? Pretty much all my other schools have received it so not sure why it is that way? Same issue for Jefferson and University of Wisconsin-Madison...

Does anyone else's LOR appear as "not received"? Pretty much all my other schools have received it so not sure why it is that way? Same issue for Jefferson and University of Wisconsin-Madison...

My letters came through a few hours after submitting. For Jeff my letters still aren't received.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys fitting activities in the 75 word section? are you using bullet points?

anyone have any clear examples as to what navigating through a complex system would mean for the last question?

anyone have any clear examples as to what navigating through a complex system would mean for the last question?
I talked about navigating a solo trip in China without speaking the language. I think there's a huge range of situations you could give here -- not sure if mine is any clearer than any other example :)

Submitted! OOS, but I really like their program so here's hoping!

Penn state is "technically" private? What does that mean....online it says a public school
The undergrad is public, but the med school is private. They likely take more IS applicants though because the campus is in a somewhat undesirable area to a lot of people, so they want to offer acceptances to the people most likely to accept.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted the secondary. Was curious as to when you guys received a complete email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received mine the same day as submission.
I received the secondary submission email, but not the complete email. It states that it can take a few weeks to receive the complete email.

So this is asking for a challenge? " Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience."

Last edited:
So this is asking for a challenge? " Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience."

It just seems super broad
Pretty much any time you felt challenged, and how you overcame it. Like they say in the prompt, it can be a personal experience, school-related, whatever you want.

I discussed difficulties I had adjusting to being a research intern in the beginning and how I overcame those challenges.

what kind of area is the med school in? I see hershey PA but any more specifics from someone who knows? Thanks!

what kind of area is the med school in? I see hershey PA but any more specifics from someone who knows? Thanks!
I've never visited for the school for the sake of visiting the school, but it's right next to Hershey Park! There actually is not a ton around the school besides the park though.

Hershey is fairly rural. Within a 10 minute drive from the campus, you can get access to pretty much all stores you may want. We're roughly a 15-20 minute drive from Harrisburg for all the other places you may want. Nightlife scene isn't perfect and there are maybe 2-3 places students go in Hershey itself, and so most uber to Harrisburg where we have a fair amount of bars and clubs. In terms of entertainment and things to do, we have all the basic things you may want and lots of outdoor stuff to do (movie theaters, lots of restaurants, tons of hiking and biking trails, vineyards and breweries, and of course Hershey Park). Almost everybody has a car to get around. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hershey is fairly rural. Within a 10 minute drive from the campus, you can get access to pretty much all stores you may want. We're roughly a 15-20 minute drive from Harrisburg for all the other places you may want. Nightlife scene isn't perfect and there are maybe 2-3 places students go in Hershey itself, and so most uber to Harrisburg where we have a fair amount of bars and clubs. In terms of entertainment and things to do, we have all the basic things you may want and lots of outdoor stuff to do (movie theaters, lots of restaurants, tons of hiking and biking trails, vineyards and breweries, and of course Hershey Park). Almost everybody has a car to get around. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Great! Thank you so much!!

Anyone else having a really hard time trying to capture why penn state in 75 words? I feel like I can highlight like 2 things that I like without really going into detail...

Anybody else struggling to differentiate between the significant team experience and then the hershey park team question?

Anybody else struggling to differentiate between the significant team experience and then the hershey park team question?
Yup! but more that and the complex system one... What I plan to do is this: complex system im using leadership, team experience im using current job, and immersed maybe study abroad or transferring schools / changing major, etc

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT? OOS but working in philly in a clinical research job if that helps

How terrible would it be if I submit the secondary 2weeks and 2 days after receiving???
I'm so frustrated cuz I realized that its not ready yet... hehe

How terrible would it be if I submit the secondary 2weeks and 2 days after receiving???
I'm so frustrated cuz I realized that its not ready yet... hehe
Not terrible at all, that's still very quick from the time you received it.

Does anyone know if Penn State likes reapplicants? I've applied here twice and was rejected more quickly the second time but I'd love to go here.

Does anyone know if Penn State likes reapplicants? I've applied here twice and was rejected more quickly the second time but I'd love to go here.

I don't think they would care if you are a reapplicant, as long as you have made significant improvements in your application. A new letter, more experiences etc... I heard from a student that they accept plenty of reapplicants.

I spoke about running a Tier 1 Trauma. Talked about team work, communication, responsibilities, how it may look complex as an outsider observing, but organized and efficient from the POV of a member of the trauma team.

Anyone else having a really hard time trying to capture why penn state in 75 words? I feel like I can highlight like 2 things that I like without really going into detail...

I feel that many schools try this method of asking a question that you would need a lot of words to answer to see if you can get your point across, but be concise and to the point. It's tough, but you can do it. Maybe try to write out your answer without setting a limit on words, then try to condense it?

Best of luck!

Anyone get interview notification yet for 2017 - 2018 cycle?

Completed just now and officially complete with all my applications!!!:hardy:

Reactions: 7 users
II! In state, expressed interest in their MD/MBA program

Reactions: 7 users
Interviews are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with a morning and an afternoon session. They're very specific in the email that you have to schedule within 5 days and select a date less than 5 weeks from the invite, but there's only one date available right now and it's during another one of my interviews... :confused:

II! I called the office to schedule the interview. Complete 7/25 (in-state)

Reactions: 4 users
II this morning! OOS, completed july 14.

Reactions: 8 users
So for the question: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

Is it fine to just put N/A? I feel like whatever I write will be B.S., even as a nontrad, and I'm quite content with my primary application

So for the question: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

Is it fine to just put N/A? I feel like whatever I write will be B.S., even as a nontrad, and I'm quite content with my primary application
I feel like if they didn't want an answer, they would've made it optional -- though of course I'm just guessing :)

My answer was essentially a 3-4 (short) sentence summary of my personal statement, so nothing new, but I recently received an II. I wouldn't be afraid of just re-affirming what you've already said.