2017-2018 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahead of the game in the sense they sent out a lot of II in a short period of time. And pnwu has spots open until March

Edit: what I'm trying to say, is that since kcu moved at a faster rate, they're not a good benchmark in this kind of comparison.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
II today! I have been in committee since August 24th.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you guys to receive confirmation that you submitted the secondary? I submitted mine a couple days ago, but I have not received a confirmation email or have seen the application fee deducted from my bank account.

How long did it take you guys to receive confirmation that you submitted the secondary? I submitted mine a couple days ago, but I have not received a confirmation email or have seen the application fee deducted from my bank account.
I had the confirmation the same day, and my app was completed 3 days after the date of secondary submission.

I just cancelled my interview here for October 13th. Maybe one of you can get that spot!

Well first rejection of the cycle "Deny post-supplement" on my portal this morning after being under review since 8/10. Good luck to the rest of you!

Well first rejection of the cycle "Deny post-supplement" on my portal this morning after being under review since 8/10. Good luck to the rest of you!
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with other schools. Did you go straight from "no decision" to "Deny post-supplement," or did you go to "committee" then to "Deny post-supplement?"

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with other schools. Did you go straight from "no decision" to "Deny post-supplement," or did you go to "committee" then to "Deny post-supplement?"

I was actually complete on 8/10 and was at "no decision" until I think 8/20 which changed to "committee". Early this morning it was still at committee but then within a couple hours it changed to deny.

Yay! Third rejection! On the verge of giving up.
Keep your hopes up, it’s early in the cycle so if you can afford it, add more schools. Also, it only takes one acceptance so don’t give up :)

Keep your hopes up, it’s early in the cycle so if you can afford it, add more schools. Also, it only takes one acceptance so don’t give up :)

I know, I know. I really am trying, but it's not easy. Getting rejected from three schools with no interview invite is very devastating. I just need one! JUST ONE! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, I know. I really am trying, but it's not easy. Getting rejected from three schools with no interview invite is very devastating. I just need one! JUST ONE! :(
What are your stats?

Flying in from OOS for an interview... What are some cool places to check out near campus? I'm trying to extend my trip.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take to get a decision when your status changes from "complete" to "committee"? I had my status change yesterday.

Also, I am looking at their website, and I am not sure if these numbers are correct? so they invite almost everyone to an interview as long as they got a secondary? that can't be right at all.

5jRLM74.png

Last edited:
Flying in from OOS for an interview... What are some cool places to check out near campus? I'm trying to extend my trip.

The Yakima Valley Museum (I think that is what it was called...) is really, really impressive for a town the size of Yakima. You could spend many hours there if you are a museum person. I didn't feel satisfied after like 2 hours there. I think it had some kind of substantial outside funding. Recommend.

There are some decent hikes/nature walks in and near Yakima.

I would also walk down the main strip of Yakima if I were you. It is very small, but quaint. This is where the lone "skyscraper" in Yakima is.

How long did it take to get a decision when your status changes from "complete" to "committee"? I had my status change yesterday.

Also, I am looking at their website, and I am not sure if these numbers are correct? so they invite almost everyone to an interview as long as they got a secondary? that can't be right at all.

5jRLM74.png
WOW. if this data is real, that is one of the lowest II/offer ratios in existence, that I am aware of. I thought I have seen in the past that they have a~25-30% II/offer ratio. Can you link to your data source?

Though, perhaps not many of the students that receive II actually attend.

WOW. if this data is real, that is one of the lowest II/offer ratios in existence, that I am aware of. I thought I have seen in the past that they have a~25-30% II/offer ratio. Can you link to your data source?

Though, perhaps not many of the students that receive II actually attend.
Right? I was shocked when I was reading this info. Might as well not even attend the interview lol. But here is the data from their website, it's under the "applicants" category.
Fast Facts :: Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

That has to be wrong. There is no way they interview 1700 people. That would be a massive and expensive undertaking.

Reactions: 2 users
Right? I was shocked when I was reading this info. Might as well not even attend the interview lol. But here is the data from their website, it's under the "applicants" category.
Fast Facts :: Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

I just looked at the website and the number of interviewed applicants from 2014 to 2017 shows: 810, 871, 875, 767.
Still, given that the number of acceptances that was handed out, thats a 34% rate. But, I wonder how many applicants "withdraw" their application post or pre interview due to getting into UW/WSU or another DO school, as that could be a signifiant factor.

I just looked at the website and the number of interviewed applicants from 2014 to 2017 shows: 810, 871, 875, 767.
Still, given that the number of acceptances that was handed out, thats a 34% rate. But, I wonder how many applicants "withdraw" their application post or pre interview due to getting into UW/WSU or another DO school, as that could be a signifiant factor.
WOOWWW LOL. Is there someone from PNWU watching over this thread?? The numbers were totally different when I posted the screenshot. This is weird haha.

Interesting to see that last year, they were at 34% interview/acceptance, whereas in every year prior that has data, they were between ~25-31%. I wonder if they have made a deliberate effort to choose IIs carefully, or if their class filled up more quickly last year.

...I like to think it's the former.

WOOWWW LOL. Is there someone from PNWU watching over this thread?? The numbers were totally different when I posted the screenshot. This is weird haha.

I believe that all Admissions Committees watch over their SDN threads. They probably like hearing feedback so they can improve their processes. Plus, they have to stay competitive and keep up with other schools in order to fill their class with students that will be successful and make great physicians.

Has anyone gone through the interview process yet? LMK if you are interviewing this coming Friday, September 29! :)

Has anyone gone through the interview process yet? LMK if you are interviewing this coming Friday, September 29! :)
I actually interviewed here last year and have another interview this year for this coming Friday.

If anyone going to interview on Friday wants to do dinner thu night pm me with your phone number and I’ll start a group text.

Just learned of my post-secondary rejection. I am pretty disappointed after seeing over 800 people are invited to interview. I thought my essay was excellent, clearly demonstrating compatibility with their mission statement and intentions to stay in Washington indefinitely. I wonder if my lack of pre-existing ties to the area did me in *sigh*

Just learned of my post-secondary rejection. I am pretty disappointed after seeing over 800 people are invited to interview. I thought my essay was excellent, clearly demonstrating compatibility with their mission statement and intentions to stay in Washington indefinitely. I wonder if my lack of pre-existing ties to the area did me in *sigh*

+1

Not shocked about this one, though. Def think my lack of connection to WA or any of the other states it mentioned played a role.

+1

Not shocked about this one, though. Def think my lack of connection to WA or any of the other states it mentioned played a role.

Are you guys at least close to Washington? I'm trying to see if I'll get rejected as well. California resident here.

II! The earliest date was 2/23 for me :( I feel like I might just be interviewed for a wait-list position.

I am from way across the country. Good luck to you! Hopefully your relative proximity will increase your chances.

I got a letter in the mail today detailing my rejection, and it was a lot of general advice about increasing competitiveness, like "you could improve your MCAT score and GPA through a post-bacc program, gain exposure to DO physicians, and work with underserved individuals." None of this really applies to me (my stats exceed their averages, and I have a ton of relevant clinical hours), so I think it's a 100% stock message.

I am from way across the country. Good luck to you! Hopefully your relative proximity will increase your chances.

I got a letter in the mail today detailing my rejection, and it was a lot of general advice about increasing competitiveness, like "you could improve your MCAT score and GPA through a post-bacc program, gain exposure to DO physicians, and work with underserved individuals." None of this really applies to me (my stats exceed their averages, and I have a ton of relevant clinical hours), so I think it's a 100% stock message.
Did you have a DO letter along with extensive DO shadowing? I feel that it helps, cause this school is one of the ones that emphasize a strong exposure to osteopathic medicine as well as serving the rural underserved community.

First year here, good luck to those with upcoming interviews, enjoy the day and experience, we look forward to seeing you all on campus!

II today, only dates offered are in early 2018
I was just wondering, how long did it take for them to confirm your date? I emailed them yesterday and they still haven't responded. Maybe I'm just being paranoid LOL

Made the difficult decision to cancel my upcoming interview and withdraw my application. I was really excited about the school and location, but was accepted to a different school that is a little more established and has great affiliations. Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those with interviews!

Did you have a DO letter along with extensive DO shadowing? I feel that it helps, cause this school is one of the ones that emphasize a strong exposure to osteopathic medicine as well as serving the rural underserved community.

Yeah, I have a DO letter from a physician whom I shadowed for hundreds of hours as an ED scribe (plus a lot of additional observation of DOs through scribing). I didn't read it (to preserve the integrity of the process and all that), but she told me it was a very strong recommendation that drew on our experiences and spoke to my professional competence. I am legitimately stumped about why I would have been rejected other than lack of pre-existing ties to the region. I have to remember, though, that much of the admissions process and perceived student-program compatibility is unpredictable. I had less than a 5% chance of being invited to interview at a particular MD school as an OOS applicant, and I wasn't confident about my chances there, but that happened! :) So I'm trying to focus on my continuing efforts and forget about schools that weren't interested.

Hey guys I'm a third year and just wanted to pop in and say good look in the app cycle! If you have any questions just let me know!
I am just wondering what you think facilities, in particular the Anatomy Lab. I am touring in November and am just curious!

I was just wondering, how long did it take for them to confirm your date? I emailed them yesterday and they still haven't responded. Maybe I'm just being paranoid LOL
It only took them a day to confirm my date

I am just wondering what you think facilities, in particular the Anatomy Lab. I am touring in November and am just curious!

I'm a first year, and my class is 145 or so students. We all fit into the Anatomy lab, and we're arranged 4 students to a cadaver. It's got its own ventilation system separate from the rest of the building and has large windows that give a nice view of the sunny—not cadaver smelling—world outside. It's nice.

I second Mr. Mammal, it's really great and with groups of four you get plenty of time to get out of it what you need to.