2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of the OOS people in our class have lower than that, but we have very few true OOS people as most of the OOS people went to undergrad at OU or OSU which kind of skews the perspective. It honestly might not be the worst idea to throw an app out there. Like DNC said you never know, especially if you have something in your app they like.

I applied and completed the secondary. This school is high on my list, so I don't regret giving it a shot! my Lizzie M is ~60 but my extracurriculars are really solid I think so we shall see.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my number one choice.
The beast!

They won't interview 400 people, for my class I think there were about 205 interviews conducted. Expect for interviews to start mid October at the earliest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They won't interview 400 people, for my class I think there were about 205 interviews conducted. Expect for interviews to start mid October at the earliest.
That doesn't sound like enough, did you read that somewhere? I don't find that information on their site. For comparison, OU did 412 interviews to fill 165 seats. At that same rate, OSU would do about 290 to fill 115 seats.

That doesn't sound like enough, did you read that somewhere? I don't find that information on their site. For comparison, OU did 412 interviews to fill 165 seats. At that same rate, OSU would do about 290 to fill 115 seats.

We were given that information. Only 205 were interviewed out of a total of 2799 applications for a class of 116

We were given that information. Only 205 were interviewed out of a total of 2799 applications for a class of 116
Thanks. Well to fill out their class, seems like the vast majority of those 205 interviewed (like nearly all of them) were either offered admission, or were waitlisted.

Let's all have a group prayer that interview invites go out today.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it true this school pretty much auto interviews anyone with a 510+ MCAT? I have heard that Oklahoma State loves high MCAT scores.

Is it true this school pretty much auto interviews anyone with a 510+ MCAT? I have heard that Oklahoma State loves high MCAT scores.

They do but it's not necessarily an auto interview. They only interview a very small amount and basically accept or waitlist all those that interview. As an OOS applicant having a high MCAT is a way to catch their eye, although remember that they take a very few OOS every year with 9 this last year so o my 8%.

In-state applicant. 498 MCAT, 3.73 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, Biochemistry/Molecular Biology major (~50 hrs of upper div. sciences). Are these competitive for OSU-COM?

In-state applicant. 498 MCAT, 3.73 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, Biochemistry/Molecular Biology major (~50 hrs of upper div. sciences). Are these competitive for OSU-COM?

Lol, i cant believe you used the word competitive.
What are your EC?

Relax, the dude was just asking a question
What do you mean??? OP is very competitive. 500 is the competitve score in DO and OP is only two point below it. And with a GPA that high, it will receive lots of interviews.

So i am not understanding your relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, i cant believe you used the word competitive.
What are your EC?
Haha I feel my stats are a little low and competitive seemed appropriate. I was a college athlete (probably why I used competitive), participated in 1 yr of undergraduate research, VP of several honor societies on campus, and am a national bone marrow donor.

What do you mean??? OP is very competitive. 500 is the competitve score in DO and OP is only two point below it. And with a GPA that high, it will receive lots of interviews.

So i am not understanding your relax.

I thought you were being sarcastic, my bad brother.

Your good.

OP is very competitive.

I wouldn't say that. They are competitive as an in-state applicant to OSU, they would not be competitive for a lot of other schools.

They do but it's not necessarily an auto interview. They only interview a very small amount and basically accept or waitlist all those that interview. As an OOS applicant having a high MCAT is a way to catch their eye, although remember that they take a very few OOS every year with 9 this last year so o my 8%.

Does someone with the following stats have a legit shot at an interview as an out of state applicant:

MCAT: 510
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2
Large upward trend (4.0 in last 60 credit hours)
Significant (5+ years) clinical experience providing direct, hands-on patient care to rural, underserved populations
Strong LORs
Well articulated secondary essays regarding why rural medicine and why OSU

Some numbers:
2799 Applications
205 Interviewed
140 Offered
129 Accepted (Includes traditional, bridge, dual degree, and 3+1)
For traditional: 104 IS, 11 OOS
Average Stats: 3.63/3.53/500

I wish they also supplied data for IS vs. OOS applications and interviews, but I do not believe they have this statistic.

Hope this helps.

Does someone with the following stats have a legit shot at an interview as an out of state applicant:

Significant (5+ years) clinical experience providing direct, hands-on patient care to rural, underserved populations
Strong LORs

The GPA is a bit low, but I would say you that you do. If you have $50 and the time, go for it.

Some numbers:
2799 Applications
205 Interviewed
140 Offered
129 Accepted (Includes traditional, bridge, dual degree, and 3+1)
For traditional: 104 IS, 11 OOS
Average Stats: 3.63/3.53/500

I wish they also supplied data for IS vs. OOS applications and interviews, but I do not believe they have this statistic.

Hope this helps.

So, this school has almost no waitlist movement. 129 accepting out of 140 offered is an exceptionally high yield. That's unusual for a DO school.

So, this school has almost no waitlist movement. 129 accepting out of 140 offered is an exceptionally high yield. That's unusual for a DO school.

Yes. That appears to be the case. My reasoning is because there's no reason for the IS applicants to go anywhere else, and since OSU accepts mostly IS applicants, that would make sense.

Haha I feel my stats are a little low and competitive seemed appropriate. I was a college athlete (probably why I used competitive), participated in 1 yr of undergraduate research, VP of several honor societies on campus, and am a national bone marrow donor.
Dude, you have a great profile. Some schools screened at 493.

Yes. That appears to be the case. My reasoning is because there's no reason for the IS applicants to go anywhere else, and since OSU accepts mostly IS applicants, that would make sense.

They probably scoop up all the IS kids who weren't quite good enough to get into OU. And if you don't get into OU as an in-state applicant, you're probably not going to get into any other MD school in the country either. With OSU's in-state tuition being what it is, why would you attend another DO school if you were going to go DO? So yeah, definitely looks like they have a captive audience.

Strong LORs

It's worth a shot

II this morning! 511 MCAT, 3.98 GPA, 70.8 LizzyM. They will call you to let you know what day they schedule you for.

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning! 511 MCAT, 3.98 GPA, 70.8 LizzyM. They will call you to let you know what day they schedule you for.

IS or OOS? When were you complete? Why are you not trying for MD with those stats?

IS, Complete 7/28. While I am applying to both MD and DO schools, I actually like the philosophy DO schools represent. I don't see why I should limit myself to MD's just because they happen to have a higher MCAT average.

Reactions: 1 users
IS, Complete 7/28. While I am applying to both MD and DO schools, I actually like the philosophy DO schools represent. I don't see why I should limit myself to MD's just because they happen to have a higher MCAT average.
I agree. I also applied to DO schools with a 513 MCAT and have been accepted at ARCOM. I don't think that osteopathic schools should be seen as a "second option for people who can't do MD." I think that osteopathic schools have a lot to offer.

Praying for one.

I am OOS but the tuition in this state make it one of my top choice.

Just received my interview invite today as well. IS, 504 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA and 3.67 sGPA

So, do they always send IS invites first?

For all those will IIs PM me if you want advice or someone to discuss things with.

you could probably get a good scholarship with your stats I imagine.

I'm also willing to answer any questions for those with interviews

I find it kinda funny when people always say why aren't you trying MD schools with that. Especially between OU and OSU, its not a choice of one school is better than the other. OSU and OU are two COMPLETELY different schools and if you happen to interview at both you will notice it quickly. As someone who was accepted to both OU and OSU, I chose OSU because when you interview here at OSU you know right away that you want to be there. OSU is, while still rigorous, super relaxed and everyone is willing to help out their class as a whole and make sure everyone can succeed (even people older make sure to help in any way they can to younger classes).

Don't choose a school because you think there is a perception that one school is better than the other, if you interview at both you should have a good idea that you thought one fit was much better than the other. Choose a place where you think you will succeed the most, because in the end if you can maximize your learning experience and do really well on your boards you will end up in a residency that you want.

I find it kinda funny when people always say why aren't you trying MD schools with that. Especially between OU and OSU, its not a choice of one school is better than the other. OSU and OU are two COMPLETELY different schools and if you happen to interview at both you will notice it quickly. As someone who was accepted to both OU and OSU, I chose OSU because when you interview here at OSU you know right away that you want to be there. OSU is, while still rigorous, super relaxed and everyone is willing to help out their class as a whole and make sure everyone can succeed (even people older make sure to help in any way they can to younger classes).

Don't choose a school because you think there is a perception that one school is better than the other, if you interview at both you should have a good idea that you thought one fit was much better than the other. Choose a place where you think you will succeed the most, because in the end if you can maximize your learning experience and do really well on your boards you will end up in a residency that you want.

Yes and no.

If you want an academic surgical subspecialty spot... go MD
If you want a surgical subspecialty spot... go MD
If you want more research opportunities... go MD
If you want Derm .. go MD

If you don't want any of those things then it doesn't matter where you go!

Yes and no.

If you want an academic surgical subspecialty spot... go MD
If you want a surgical subspecialty spot... go MD
If you want more research opportunities... go MD
If you want Derm .. go MD

If you don't want any of those things then it doesn't matter where you go!

If you want academic internal medicine at University of X, as opposed to a community program, because you're gunning for a competitive post IM fellowship, go MD.

If you want academic internal medicine at University of X, as opposed to a community program, because you're gunning for a competitive post IM fellowship, go MD.

Even OSU has competitive post IM fellowships with the OSU Medical Center.. Cards, GI, etc. No reason to go MD for those specialities. Ive talked with a few senior residents from the IM program and Ive heard they were going to Cardiology, GI, and Pulmonary Critical Care. No reason to think IM subspecialties aren't fair game..

Even OSU has competitive post IM fellowships with the OSU Medical Center.. Cards, GI, etc. No reason to go MD for those specialities. Ive talked with a few senior residents from the IM program and Ive heard they were going to Cardiology, GI, and Pulmonary Critical Care. No reason to think IM subspecialties aren't fair game..

Right now the only one who has even submitted an ACGME app is Cards and they have initial accreditation. One is closing for sure, and the others have until 1/1/18 to submit their applications if they want to accept new trainees. I would be surprised if GI made it as the ACGME requirements are very strict for that field and require a certain level of scholarly output that isn't happening right now. We will have to see if the others make the merger.

Right now the only one who has even submitted an ACGME app is Cards and they have initial accreditation. One is closing for sure, and the others have until 1/1/18 to submit their applications if they want to accept new trainees. I would be surprised if GI made it as the ACGME requirements are very strict for that field and require a certain level of scholarly output that isn't happening right now. We will have to see if the others make the merger.

ask around about the differences between the OU and OSU IM programs. Most consider OSU superior for critical care with most of their residents not having any trouble getting the fellowship they want. Pulmonary CC was at OU in OKC, just FYI. I wouldn't be worried about DO vs MD unless you really want an extremely competitive surgical subspecialty. Everything else is well represented and really up to your competency and passion for the field. Even now, OSU has vast opportunities for research and publications (unlike most other DO schools) if thats your thing.

OSU doesn't have a GI program anymore.

Hey, just got my app completed a few weeks ago, it's been completed since late July, however, I had to wait on a letter of recommendation from a D.O.

I'm in instate applicant with lower GPA of only ~3.35 both science and cumulative, and a MCAT of 503. Do I have a decent chance of getting an interview?

Hey, just got my app completed a few weeks ago, it's been completed since late July, however, I had to wait on a letter of recommendation from a D.O.

I'm in instate applicant with lower GPA of only ~3.35 both science and cumulative, and a MCAT of 503. Do I have a decent chance of getting an interview?
I'd say you have a great chance.

I sure hope so because my stats are just a hair better (504, 3.5 IS) and I really want to go here! Best of luck to ya

While waiting for an interview invite I'm reminded of this scene from The Office: "Maybe there's some sort of animal that we could make a sacrifice to. Like a giant buffalo, or some sort of monster, like something with the body of a walrus with the head of a sea lion. Or something with the body of an egret with the head of a meerkat. Or just... the head of a monkey, with the antlers of a reindeer, with, ah... the body of a.....porcupine."

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
While waiting for an interview invite I'm reminded of this scene from The Office: "Maybe there's some sort of animal that we could make a sacrifice to. Like a giant buffalo, or some sort of monster, like something with the body of a walrus with the head of a sea lion. Or something with the body of an egret with the head of a meerkat. Or just... the head of a monkey, with the antlers of a reindeer, with, ah... the body of a.....porcupine."

The best post I've seen on SDN to date!!! I'm waiting for II, too. Thanks for sharing :)