2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys. New to SDN

I'm a bit in a dilemma. I took the MCAT earlier this year and I got an okayish score - but I retook it this past June to be more competitive. However...I did horribly. I went down to a 497. How does OSU view retakes? Like do they look at the most recent one online or do they factor in all of the MCATs? Am I totally screwed for my chance of getting an interview? I'm in-state, born and raised in OK and plan to stay in OK. GPA is 4.0.
100+ hours shadowing (several physicians in different specialties with 2 DOs), ~400 clinical hours (with a total projected amount by matriculation of 700), ~250 hours leadership/non-clinical (projected 300 since I graduate in one more semester). I do have research and papers in progress but hours wise those aren't quite as significant.

I will have a DO letter from someone I'm shadowing still and I believe at least some of my letters are strong.

And for reference, I thought I actually did okay on the recent exam but I did have a patient I was close to pass away close to my test date and now I think it was more just me trying to convince myself to pull through and be okay when I really wasn't and should have voided or rescheduled. I can definitely explain myself and I know I can improve, and I'm looking to wait to see if any September dates open.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. New to SDN

I'm a bit in a dilemma. I took the MCAT earlier this year and I got an okayish score - but I retook it this past June to be more competitive. However...I did horribly. I went down to a 497. How does OSU view retakes? Like do they look at the most recent one online or do they factor in all of the MCATs? Am I totally screwed for my chance of getting an interview? I'm in-state, born and raised in OK and plan to stay in OK. GPA is 4.0.
100+ hours shadowing (several physicians in different specialties with 2 DOs), ~400 clinical hours (with a total projected amount by matriculation of 700), ~250 hours leadership/non-clinical (projected 300 since I graduate in one more semester). I do have research and papers in progress but hours wise those aren't quite as significant.

I will have a DO letter from someone I'm shadowing still and I believe at least some of my letters are strong.

And for reference, I thought I actually did okay on the recent exam but I did have a patient I was close to pass away close to my test date and now I think it was more just me trying to convince myself to pull through and be okay when I really wasn't and should have voided or rescheduled. I can definitely explain myself and I know I can improve, and I'm looking to wait to see if any September dates open.

What was your first MCAT score?

Hi guys. New to SDN

I still think you would get in even if your only score was a 497. Assuming your other one was a 500+ I think you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will, but since you are in state you'll get an interview. Don't stress. I would just articulate in the "is there anything more you want us to know" essay why you feel like you dropped.

Hey guys, I wanted to know if you needed a letter of rec from a DO to apply to this school. I received a secondary and am really interested in this program, but I only have a letter from a MD.

Also, I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS, but on OSUCOM's secondary payment page, it doesn't give me the option to submit my fee waiver. Do I have to email/call OSUCOM's admission to request a fee waiver code?

Thanks.

Hey guys, I wanted to know if you needed a letter of rec from a DO to apply to this school. I received a secondary and am really interested in this program, but I only have a letter from a MD.

Also, I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS, but on OSUCOM's secondary payment page, it doesn't give me the option to submit my fee waiver. Do I have to email/call OSUCOM's admission to request a fee waiver code?

Thanks.
yes you need a DO letter unless times have changed

For OOS I know they really like high MCATs, it raises their averages up. In-state people have more leeway. As @DNC127 said most of the students have some pretty good ECs, most of the people in my class that are on our face book page have lots of clinical experience and volunteering, or they are career changers who worked interesting jobs.

They changed it a bit for our year, we start in 2 weeks so in a month or two I'll be able to give a few thoughts about the curriculum. One change is that some of our tests are now on Fridays instead of them all being on Mondays, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.
I have a 512, is that high enough for OOS? 127/125/130/130, so not super even either. 3.12 cGPA 3.72 sGPA

Thanks.

DO letter is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be worth saucing an app in here? OOS, non urm, 3.9/3.9/506. Application Prioritizes serving underserved populations

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

similar stats. Now a second year here. Play up the undeserved and you will have a good shot

OOS Applicant. 3.33cgpa, 3.00 sgpa. MCAT: 500 I also went to UNT's post bacc program but didnt do the best. 3.17, got basically all Bs and a few As. Not low Bs either, anatomy, physio, and pharm I got 89s. But yeah, I know I can't cry about that. Got a secondary here. Wondering if I even have a shot. I have tons of shadowing, volunteering, and a strong strong DO letter (the DO I shadowed said if I got an interview at KCUCOM which is her alma matter, she would personally call the Dean for me). No research though. Interested in primary care. Any advice?

OOS Applicant. 3.33cgpa, 3.00 sgpa. MCAT: 500 I also went to UNT's post bacc program but didnt do the best. 3.17, got basically all Bs and a few As. Not low Bs either, anatomy, physio, and pharm I got 89s. But yeah, I know I can't cry about that. Got a secondary here. Wondering if I even have a shot. I have tons of shadowing, volunteering, and a strong strong DO letter (the DO I shadowed said if I got an interview a KCUCOM which is her alma matter, she would personally call the Dean for me). No research though. Interested in primary care. Any advice?
ummm....I think if a doc who graduated from there is willing to call the Dean it's at least worth a TRY to get to that point. Just polish the hell out of that secondary, good luck!!! Just my 2 cents by the way, other people probably know better

ummm....I think if a doc who graduated from there is willing to call the Dean it's at least worth a TRY to get to that point. Just polish the hell out of that secondary, good luck!!! Just my 2 cents by the way, other people probably know better

Thanks for the reply. She is willing to call the KCU-COM Dean, not for OSU. I wish she would call them haha.

OOS Applicant. 3.33cgpa, 3.00 sgpa. MCAT: 500 I also went to UNT's post bacc program but didnt do the best. 3.17, got basically all Bs and a few As. Not low Bs either, anatomy, physio, and pharm I got 89s. But yeah, I know I can't cry about that. Got a secondary here. Wondering if I even have a shot. I have tons of shadowing, volunteering, and a strong strong DO letter (the DO I shadowed said if I got an interview at KCUCOM which is her alma matter, she would personally call the Dean for me). No research though. Interested in primary care. Any advice?

I believe as an OOS applicant your stats might be a bit low. They send secondaries out to everyone. OSU has an instate preference.

stats are low for OOS. Your best shot is to play up primary care and hope for the best i think!

Reactions: 1 users
Whats the consensus on the "is there any additional info we should know"? I cant think of anything else to add in this spot, would it be a bad idea to leave it blank??

Has anyone received an II yet? Submitted my secondary yesterday (a bit late...), so I'm not expecting anything yet, just curious about everyone else. Good luck, everyone!

Has anyone received an II yet? Submitted my secondary yesterday (a bit late...), so I'm not expecting anything yet, just curious about everyone else. Good luck, everyone!

OSU sends Interview Invites out a bit later in the cycle compared to other schools. You can check last years thread to see exactly when the first round went out.

Whats the consensus on the "is there any additional info we should know"? I cant think of anything else to add in this spot, would it be a bad idea to leave it blank??

Definitely leave it blank if you have nothing to say. Rambling just to fill the space adds nothing, and if it's really bad writing, then it could actually be detrimental to your application.

I've read over many other school's threads who have secondary questions similar to this one, and the general consensus was to leave it blank or use it to talk about what kind of diversity you could bring to the campus. Diversity as in background, experiences, what makes you unique, etc.; you don't have to necessarily talk about your ethnicity.

When is the ideal time to have secondaries in? My DO letter might not be coming for a while since my physician's schedule is jam-packed the next month or so - what's a good time to tell him I would really need to have a letter in by?

When is the ideal time to have secondaries in? My DO letter might not be coming for a while since my physician's schedule is jam-packed the next month or so - what's a good time to tell him I would really need to have a letter in by?

as soon as possible

514 MCAT and 3.12 cGPA, 3.78 GPA at a biomed master's program I did, hoping to get some love from this school. DO letter req is slaying my app timeline. Definitely dig the tulsa arts scene too, you know, for when our heads aren't in a book.

514 MCAT and 3.12 cGPA, 3.78 GPA at a biomed master's program I did, hoping to get some love from this school. DO letter req is slaying my app timeline. Definitely dig the tulsa arts scene too, you know, for when our heads aren't in a book.

If you can play up rural primary care, you will have a good chance at an interview

Has anyone received word post-secondary submission about anything? I'm retaking my MCAT this Friday after earning an average score, so I'm sure that will delay things, just hoping I'm not too far behind everyone. Thanks in advance!

(Just trying to channel this Game of Thrones anxiety somewhere ;])

Has anyone received word post-secondary submission about anything? I'm retaking my MCAT this Friday after earning an average score, so I'm sure that will delay things, just hoping I'm not too far behind everyone. Thanks in advance!

Only thing ive gotten is an 'application complete' email

They dont resp

interviews usually start going out in september/october. We run a little slower than most schools

I can't see why you wouldn't give them some more insight into who you are. These apps have got to get dry after a while. In mine, I'm having the following short paragraphs in this field: (1) my child, (2) competitive sports background, (3) hobbies, (4) my personality. Having nothing to say about yourself -- in my opinion -- seems to show a lack of creativity, and to miss an opportunity to connect with the members of the admissions committee. But I am open to hearing other thoughts and ideas about this.

I can't see why you wouldn't give them some more insight into who you are. These apps have got to get dry after a while. In mine, I'm having the following short paragraphs in this field: (1) my child, (2) competitive sports background, (3) hobbies, (4) my personality. Having nothing to say about yourself -- in my opinion -- seems to show a lack of creativity, and to miss an opportunity to connect with the members of the admissions committee. But I am open to hearing other thoughts and ideas about this.

I concur. I utilized this section in my app and it worked out. But, others didn't and it still worked out. So.. either way

Finally got my application fully submitted yesterday. Took me a while to turn loose of the secondary with all those essays. Seems like every time I went back to it, I found something I wanted to change! Finally had to say, its enough already, click submit.

OOS applicant here. I really like this school. Anyone know of an OOS applicant being invited to interview with a 499 MCAT? My GPAs are average but my extracurriculars are solid and I have plenty of research experience and clinical exposure.

I was complete August 23.

OOS applicant here. I really like this school. Anyone know of an OOS applicant being invited to interview with a 499 MCAT? My GPAs are average but my extracurriculars are solid and I have plenty of research experience and clinical exposure.

My piece of advice would be dont tell them you're an Islanders fan #GoHabsGo

Honestly 499 Is probably too low for OOS. The lowest I personally know of is like a 504. But you never know!

Has anyone applied to the Bridge Program? I just submitted my secondary and I'm complete on LORs. 3.46 cGPA 3.36 sGPA 494 MCAT.

Has anyone applied to the Bridge Program? I just submitted my secondary and I'm complete on LORs. 3.46 cGPA 3.36 sGPA 494 MCAT.
I also applied to the bridge program. I'm in-state but my MCAT wasn't as high as I'd like. I qualified under the "second career" opportunity.

I also applied to the bridge program. I'm in-state but my MCAT wasn't as high as I'd like. I qualified under the "second career" opportunity.
I thought about bridge. I'm a second career guy too, but I just banged out 41 hours of science, so I don't feel like I need to be transitioned into academics. In the end I didn't do it, didn't want to commit to an extra year. But I'll feel dumb if I don't get in!

Hope everyone is doing OK with the waiting! Its anxious days for a while.

I just graduated this past may. I qualify for the bridge program and an underrepresented minority and someone from an environmentally disadvantaged background. I think even if I had the option between traditional and bridge, I would he bridge. I love the fact that there is a program designed for people like me. It makes me even prouder of my background and how far I've come.

Honestly 499 Is probably too low for OOS. The lowest I personally know of is like a 504. But you never know!

Some of the OOS people in our class have lower than that, but we have very few true OOS people as most of the OOS people went to undergrad at OU or OSU which kind of skews the perspective. It honestly might not be the worst idea to throw an app out there. Like DNC said you never know, especially if you have something in your app they like.

Last year people started getting II's around 9-22, 9-25. So we are getting pretty close to the first set of invites!

Last year people started getting II's around 9-22, 9-25. So we are getting pretty close to the first set of invites!

I hate the suspense but at least my hopes aren't crushed just yet :D

Anyone know about how many people get called for II for the first few rounds?

Anyone know about how many people get called for II for the first few rounds?
Not sure but if they intend to interview 300-400 then seems like they would start off with a good 60-75, spread out over several days. I think last year's OU thread indicated something along these lines. If not Friday, then I bet Monday II's go out.

Last edited: