2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted student from last cycle here... The people on this forum helped me IMMENSELY and I would love to do the same for anyone who has questions. Just let me know!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have both a DO and MD letter along with 3 LORs and it still says my letter requirement is incomplete. Could it be because I'm sill waiting on one more letter?

So I have both a DO and MD letter along with 3 LORs and it still says my letter requirement is incomplete. Could it be because I'm sill waiting on one more letter?
Email the admissions office. They'll be able to help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was like that for a while. I called admissions and they told me that it was because they hadn't reviewed my application yet. They said they were a bit behind. It should be fine just give it some time. My application was completed about two weeks after I submitted my secondary application.

I can see all my letters under the document status tab, but it still says that my LOR's are incomplete as well as my overall application. I called a while back, and they told me they were a bit behind as well. I would definitely call or email them Monday. I will be doing the same.

Email the admissions office. They'll be able to help you.

My application was like that for a while. I called admissions and they told me that it was because they hadn't reviewed my application yet. They said they were a bit behind. It should be fine just give it some time. My application was completed about two weeks after I submitted my secondary application.

I can see all my letters under the document status tab, but it still says that my LOR's are incomplete as well as my overall application. I called a while back, and they told me they were a bit behind as well. I would definitely call or email them Monday. I will be doing the same.

Thank you for your help!

upload_2017-7-15_18-15-13.png

Has anyone ever Googled OSUCOM... I get this weird title for their website. Makes me a little hesitant to click it, haha.

Hi guys! So I'm an in-state student, cGPA 3.6 and sGPA 3.5. I take the MCAT on Friday, and my practice tests have been around 502. Is that most likely good enough for acceptance? I have already received and turned in my secondary as well.

Hi guys! So I'm an in-state student, cGPA 3.6 and sGPA 3.5. I take the MCAT on Friday, and my practice tests have been around 502. Is that most likely good enough for acceptance? I have already received and turned in my secondary as well.
Yes I think you are competitive for OSU. I know a girl who was accepted last cycle who made a 497 on her MCAT

Good enough for acceptance depends on the rest of your app. Plenty of in state students in each class have much lower stats, there isnt a magic stat number to get you in. What I have noticed is all of the in state students with low stats made up for it in some area.

Good enough for acceptance depends on the rest of your app. Plenty of in state students in each class have much lower stats, there isnt a magic stat number to get you in. What I have noticed is all of the in state students with low stats made up for it in some area.
Perfect! I have quite a bit of research experience as well as shadowing experience and hospital volunteering hours, which I'm hoping should help a lot. I definitely have some other activities and certifications on my application that should (I hope) help me stand out! Thank you so much for the insight though.

Yes I think you are competitive for OSU. I know a girl who was accepted last cycle who made a 497 on her MCAT

I was accepted last round with a 496 MCAT. I had a 3.9c and 3.9s GPA though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Focus all attention on that MCAT for now. That will be the deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect! I have quite a bit of research experience as well as shadowing experience and hospital volunteering hours, which I'm hoping should help a lot. I definitely have some other activities and certifications on my application that should (I hope) help me stand out! Thank you so much for the insight though.

Take the MCAT, score over 500 and apply. You "should" get an II.. the rest is up to you and your overall fit with the program.

2 Quick questions for the current students:

1. How strict is the "competitive applicant" criteria? I believe it was listed as 3.6/3.6 500 on OSUCOM's website.
2. Do you know if OSUCOM values a high GPA over a high MCAT? or vice versa?

1. How strict is the "competitive applicant" criteria? I believe it was listed as 3.6/3.6 500 on OSUCOM's website.

They aren't "strict" per se.. I know students on both ends of the spectrum for each (GPA and MCAT). If you are below, you need something to offset it. Low GPA? Probably need higher than average MCAT or exceptional ECs. Low MCAT (>495 <500)? You'll want a competitive or higher GPA plus ECs. From what I have gathered, OSU places real world experience over volunteer/shadow hours if you are low on GPA and MCAT. There are many 2nd career people ranging from archeaologist and architects to EMTs and CNAs. This is huge for showing maturity and ability to "grind" (generally how GPA is perceived). Personally, I didn't have any of the "required" faculty or committee letters and made up for it with physician and employer letters. They really are/used to be flexible as long as you have something to make up for the "deficiency" to show they aren't just "cutting you some slack".

Also-

GPA= discipline/maturity to study
MCAT= intelligence to pass boards

Very general terms- it's easier to overcome low GPA with high MCAT rather than low MCAT and high GPA since MCAT is a general predictor for board success. Just my opinion

If you are in state it isn't very strict. Lots of in-staters with very low MCATS and GPAs I know of (like below 495 and or 3.0 low). If you are OOS you want to be 505+ and 3.6+. These are the trends I have noticed. You need a well rounded app tho. I havent met very many people at our school that dont have a well rounded app outside of gpa/mcat.

Any of you current students choose the dual degree pathway or similar?

Any of you current students choose the dual degree pathway or similar?

wouldn't recommend it unless you have to in order to get acceptance. Unless its the DO PHD and even then its sketchy depending on your career goals. That extra year would cost you 200-500k depending on the field you go into.

Has there been any more changes in the curriculum model? Or have they ironed that out already?

Do you know if OSUCOM values a high GPA over a high MCAT? or vice versa?

For OOS I know they really like high MCATs, it raises their averages up. In-state people have more leeway. As @DNC127 said most of the students have some pretty good ECs, most of the people in my class that are on our face book page have lots of clinical experience and volunteering, or they are career changers who worked interesting jobs.

Has there been any more changes in the curriculum model? Or have they ironed that out already?

They changed it a bit for our year, we start in 2 weeks so in a month or two I'll be able to give a few thoughts about the curriculum. One change is that some of our tests are now on Fridays instead of them all being on Mondays, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

For OOS I know they really like high MCATs, it raises their averages up. In-state people have more leeway. As @DNC127 said most of the students have some pretty good ECs, most of the people in my class that are on our face book page have lots of clinical experience and volunteering, or they are career changers who worked interesting jobs.

They changed it a bit for our year, we start in 2 weeks so in a month or two I'll be able to give a few thoughts about the curriculum. One change is that some of our tests are now on Fridays instead of them all being on Mondays, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.
Feel free to let me know if you have time! You'll get to use the new building this upcoming semester correct?

Does anyone know when OSU starts sending out interview invites? I know interviews start in October, I was just wondering when they start choosing people to interview.

Does anyone know when OSU starts sending out interview invites? I know interviews start in October, I was just wondering when they start choosing people to interview.

It was later in the cycle compared to other schools, but you can check last years thread and get an exact date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anecdotally, the now 3rd years seemed to have killed boards. I have heard of one fail, and multiple 99 percentile scores with most people being 600+ (that I have heard of).

Reactions: 2 users

It's later compared to the other schools, so you have to be patient with them.

Anecdotally, the now 3rd years seemed to have killed boards. I have heard of one fail, and multiple 99 percentile scores with most people being 600+ (that I have heard of).

Have you asked anyone from administration when the statistics for the class of 2019 would be available?

Have you asked anyone from administration when the statistics for the class of 2019 would be available?

No, but I have heard from somebody that they heard from administration the class average was like a 550-570. Meaning 20-50 pts above average if I am not mistaken

Reactions: 2 users
So it seems some people have had the common answers of here are my stats, what are my chances so I thought I could help.

OSU posts what they consider to be a competitive applicant (cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6 and above 500). If you have scores that float around this range then good, it's not like that is a baseline requirement set, however I believe it is really important to have a 500 or better because that really gets your foot in the door per se.

But now let's get away from scores because your scores are only a fraction of it. OSU really cares about how you fit in to the school. You could have outstanding scores and not fit in. It's a very relaxed and friendly environment and they want to keep it that way. They also really like for students to identify with their mission statement: fix the shortage of doctors in Oklahoma, especially in rural areas. If you can identify with that in your essays that would be good to help get you an interview.

Last, the interview is very important at OSU. It's a very laid back, not incredibly structured interview. They just want to chit chat with you, ask a couple of questions, and get an understanding of whether or not you are comfortable and can socialize well.

Hope this helps

I'm an OOS with 3.67c/s3.62s, 506 with tons of clinical volunteering and research. I would say its pretty well-rounded

considering this school has an instate bias and my stats are just average, should i still submit my secondary???

I'm an OOS with 3.67c/s3.62s, 506 with tons of clinical volunteering and research. I would say its pretty well-rounded

considering this school has an instate bias and my stats are just average, should i still submit my secondary???
Yes. I had almost the same stats and got in OOS.

Shouldn't be too much trouble for the King of the North.

Yeah. You know what, let me just go send a raven to Oklahoma and demand an answer.

LOL but seriously, though. you think so?
I think if you are well-articulated in your essays in relation to providing meaningful context to your collective experiences, then yes.

Wow! ok thanks! Did you have ties/relatives in Oklahoma? Because I don't and I'm hoping that's OK
I had no ties. Send your secondary in ASAP. OSU loves OOS students with good stats to drag up the averages.

I'm from MI and just noticed that only around 10% of OSUCOM's first-year class is OOS. I have no connections at all to OK so not sure if I should spend time and money completing this one... any current students come from a similar background as me?

I'm from MI and just noticed that only around 10% of OSUCOM's first-year class is OOS. I have no connections at all to OK so not sure if I should spend time and money completing this one... any current students come from a similar background as me?
Yes, see above. What are your stats?

I have similar stats and also applied here. No secondary. I have secondaries from every other DO school I applied to, except another DO program with strong in state bias.
They don't send secondaries to everyone?

3.5 - 3.65, 508 - 510 MCAT. Interested in rural health.

Apply and if you can articulate your interest in rural med you will have a good shot,. There is someone in our class from MI

What is the average stats for in-state in terms of MCAT/GPA score? I'm applying both DO and MD, but with a 505 MCAT and 3.92 sGPA/3.97 GPA. I'm getting new MCAT results tomorrow as well. I had seen a few, but wasn't sure which one was the most accurate and I didn't see it on the OSU website

What is the average stats for in-state in terms of MCAT/GPA score? I'm applying both DO and MD, but with a 505 MCAT and 3.92 sGPA/3.97 GPA. I'm getting new MCAT results tomorrow as well. I had seen a few, but wasn't sure which one was the most accurate and I didn't see it on the OSU website
You are well above average for an in-state student. I'd put it around 3.5 and 501.