2017-2018 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

If any applicants this year have questions feel free to ask. I can also read essays for OSU if you need.

Reactions: 3 users
If any applicants this year have questions feel free to ask. I can also read essays for OSU if you need.

Out of State student here. 3.48 cGPA and 3.59 sGPA. 512 MCAT. Is it worth applying? I would love to go to this school, but not sure if my oos status will keep me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of State student here. 3.48 cGPA and 3.59 sGPA. 512 MCAT. Is it worth applying? I would love to go to this school, but not sure if my oos status will keep me out.

Yes apply. MCAT is above what alot of our OOS students have (including me) GPA is slightly low, but if you can identify with the schools mission and write well I like your odds!

Yes apply. MCAT is above what alot of our OOS students have (including me) GPA is slightly low, but if you can identify with the schools mission and write well I like your odds!
Awesome. Would love to go to the football games and be on a nice campus. Have you been happy with the school so far?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Awesome. Would love to go to the football games and be on a nice campus. Have you been happy with the school so far?

Just a heads up, OSU-COM is in Tulsa, Oklahoma instead of Stillwater. Boone Pickens Stadium is in Stillwater.

Oh dang, I didn't realize that. Is osu-com very involved with the University for things like research?

I went to every football game last year, and intend to do so again this year. Very doable, 45 min drive. Yes, OSU CHS has research. We have a research team that affords one the opportunity to get a lot done. I have 10 manuscripts under review in top journals, 2 accepted pending minor revisions and 2 offered revise and resubmit (still waiting on the rest). The 4th year that matched Derm last year have 4 derm publications, we have some rising 3rd years with 5 pubs in the top anesthesia journals and will likely match somewhere pretty crazy. If you want to do research with a good chance of getting published OSU is the DO school you want to be at. Also, the residents, fellows, and attendings at OSUMC are very involved in this research team so we get the chance to get "in" with the attendings before others have the chance. I am very happy with my time at OSU, and wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the nation right now besides maybe some top MD schools honestly because of the opportunities I have had. OOS students tend to do very well, I am pretty sure most OOS students are in the top 20 of the class, so if you are willing to grind you have a good opportunity to do well in class and build a good application overall.

Reactions: 2 users
I went to every football game last year, and intend to do so again this year. Very doable, 45 min drive. Yes, OSU CHS has research. We have a research team that affords one the opportunity to get a lot done. I have 10 manuscripts under review in top journals, 2 accepted pending minor revisions and 2 offered revise and resubmit (still waiting on the rest). The 4th year that matched Derm last year have 4 derm publications, we have some rising 3rd years with 5 pubs in the top anesthesia journals and will likely match somewhere pretty crazy. If you want to do research with a good chance of getting published OSU is the DO school you want to be at. Also, the residents, fellows, and attendings at OSUMC are very involved in this research team so we get the chance to get "in" with the attendings before others have the chance. I am very happy with my time at OSU, and wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the nation right now besides maybe some top MD schools honestly because of the opportunities I have had. OOS students tend to do very well, I am pretty sure most OOS students are in the top 20 of the class, so if you are willing to grind you have a good opportunity to do well in class and build a good application overall.
What will set you apart as an out of state student?

I don't have any ties to Oklahoma, but this is still my top choice DO school.

What year are you? Was first year as hectic as you expected?

Last edited:

Also, do you happen to remember when they send out secondaries?

What will set you apart as an out of state student?

I don't have any ties to Oklahoma, but this is still my top choice DO school.

Answer: Your essays. If you are above a 3.5 and 505 you are good stats wise for OOS, now you need to tell OSU WHY you are a fit and the answer is plastered all over the web sight, so ill let you check that out. You need to be open to the schools mission and place yourself within it, and write about how you will fit in that mission. How do your personal experiences tie in? (I am from a rural town, and was heavily involved with a family medicine residency so I hit on this in my essays ALOT doesnt mean you have to be gung-ho primary care, but you should be open to it)

I didnt even know where oklahoma was on the map before I applied really just knew it was above texas somewhere. No ties is okay.

Reactions: 2 users
What year are you? Was first year as hectic as you expected?

Going into second year, and no it didnt seem as hectic to me as I thought it would at all. What stressed me out personally was self inflicted (like choosing to go to football games 2 days before the tests/finals, and averaging probably 2+ hours a day of research). I did 20 credits every semester in undergrad and it felt about the same in difficulty, except a little faster pace. Everyone is different though, so I don't think I would take what I or anyone else says about the "hecticness" to the bank because it will be different for each person

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer: Your essays. If you are above a 3.5 and 505 you are good stats wise for OOS, now you need to tell OSU WHY you are a fit and the answer is plastered all over the web sight, so ill let you check that out. You need to be open to the schools mission and place yourself within it, and write about how you will fit in that mission. How do your personal experiences tie in? (I am from a rural town, and was heavily involved with a family medicine residency so I hit on this in my essays ALOT doesnt mean you have to be gung-ho primary care, but you should be open to it)

I didnt even know where oklahoma was on the map before I applied really just knew it was above texas somewhere. No ties is okay.

Good stuff man and thanks for the info. Hopefully I can land an interview. I'll start pre-writing the secondary, hopefully the prompts stay the same. Would you mind looking it over if I PM it too you when I'm done?

What is the secondary prompt?

Good stuff man and thanks for the info. Hopefully I can land an interview. I'll start pre-writing the secondary, hopefully the prompts stay the same. Would you mind looking it over if I PM it too you when I'm done?

Yes. I gotchu.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
So I recently got back into school. I have been a nurse for 4 years (BSN). Haven't taken the MCAT yet. And still have quit a bit of pre requisites to do. Any suggestions on what I should be doing in the mean time while taking my classes to try and " stand out". Also when it comes to upper division classes. Which ones do you suggest I take?

I would like to apply here but I'm apprehensive because I'm OOS and have never set foot in OK before as well. By fitting with that mission, do you mean serving rural and underserved Oklahoma? I'm not sure how many of us would fit with that unless we have family there or something.

I would like to apply here but I'm apprehensive because I'm OOS and have never set foot in OK before as well. By fitting with that mission, do you mean serving rural and underserved Oklahoma? I'm not sure how many of us would fit with that unless we have family there or something.

Fitting the mission = rural primary care. Not necessarily in OK. You dont have to be set on it, but for the sake of application I think you need to be open to it.

Anyone know when to expect secondaries?

What are the questions?

If not currently in school, describe present activity:

Why do you wish to attend OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine?

There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

Describe the most significant healthcare/clinical experience in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?

all are 300 word limit

Got a question about the bridge program, pretty sure I qualify (family receives federal assistance). The question they ask is:

If you qualify as "educationally/environmentally or economically disadvantaged" or both, please explain how you meet this criterion.

How should I go about answering this question? I was gonna describe how my family gets aid and such, but are they looking for a personal story about financial hardship, or some combination of both factual and personal information?

My stats are 3.7 overall, 507 mcat, EMT and shadowing experience in mostly family medicine. I am OOS however, what would you guys say my chances were?

Got a question about the bridge program, pretty sure I qualify (family receives federal assistance). The question they ask is:

If you qualify as "educationally/environmentally or economically disadvantaged" or both, please explain how you meet this criterion.

How should I go about answering this question? I was gonna describe how my family gets aid and such, but are they looking for a personal story about financial hardship, or some combination of both factual and personal information?

My stats are 3.7 overall, 507 mcat, EMT and shadowing experience in mostly family medicine. I am OOS however, what would you guys say my chances were?

1. I would probably suggest a combination. State facts and maybe explain with an anecdote to add a personal touch? This would be a great question to ask the admissions committee, though. Give them a call! They are super nice.

2. Your statistics are above average, so I would say you do have a chance. If I recall correctly, the average stats for the previous cycle's matriculants were 3.6/500. Keep in mind, however, since OSU is a state school, it must fulfill a quota of at least 90% of in-state matriculants per class. Every year, the class size is around 115; they usually take about 10 out of state students, with 105 being all in-state status students. The chances are low, but go for it if you like the school.

I am an in state student with a 3.95 cgpa 3.94 sgpa and 513 MCAT (129/130/126/128). I have heard stories about people being rejected when their stats are much higher than a school's average, because the adcom may think that they won't actually go there. I was wondering if anyone thinks this is true? I am seriously considering attending OSU if I were to be accepted, because it seems like a great program. I am currently doing a research internship there and absolutely love the place.

I am an in state student with a 3.95 cgpa 3.94 sgpa and 513 MCAT (129/130/126/128). I have heard stories about people being rejected when their stats are much higher than a school's average, because the adcom may think that they won't actually go there. I was wondering if anyone thinks this is true? I am seriously considering attending OSU if I were to be accepted, because it seems like a great program. I am currently doing a research internship there and absolutely love the place.

Yes this can be true its called "yield protection". They (adcoms at any school) don't wanna interview someone who has a good chance of not attending if accepted. But, if you are really gung-ho for OSU in your essays and relate to the mission I would be flabbergasted if you weren't given a shot (assuming you are a socially normal person)

Yes this can be true its called "yield protection". They (adcoms at any school) don't wanna interview someone who has a good chance of not attending if accepted. But, if you are really gung-ho for OSU in your essays and relate to the mission I would be flabbergasted if you weren't given a shot (assuming you are a socially normal person)
I am lol I actually do very well in interviews. I aced my committee letter interview, so that shouldn't be an issue. I am filling out the secondary application right now and am stressing how I come from a rural area, and I'm going to also just write how much I love OSU. Can I also add that I've done an internship there and have actually spent the summer on the campus?

Oh and also what would you recommend for the secondary photo? Should I dress up in a suit and does it have to be a professional photo?

A. I would probably talk about your financial hardship growing up and how it affected you and gives you an appreciation for the disadvantaged in the community etc.
B. You have a great chance. I had the exact same stats and extracurriculars, also OOS. Do well on your secondary and get it returned ASAP and you should get an interview.

I am lol I actually do very well in interviews. I aced my committee letter interview, so that shouldn't be an issue. I am filling out the secondary application right now and am stressing how I come from a rural area, and I'm going to also just write how much I love OSU. Can I also add that I've done an internship there and have actually spent the summer on the campus?

yes that is perfect!

Oh and also what would you recommend for the secondary photo? Should I dress up in a suit and does it have to be a professional photo?

I didnt know there was one, so basically just don't look unprofessional ya know? However you have to look professional, do that lol.

I didnt know there was one, so basically just don't look unprofessional ya know? However you have to look professional, do that lol.
okay lol. I already ordered my interview suit, so I was going to take the picture in that just to be safe

I have another question about the secondary app. Do you think it is important to use all of the available space on each answer (300 words) or is it okay to have less. I feel like I am saying what I need to say in less than 300 words, but I dont want it to look like I don't care because I'm not using most of the available space.

I have another question about the secondary app. Do you think it is important to use all of the available space on each answer (300 words) or is it okay to have less. I feel like I am saying what I need to say in less than 300 words, but I dont want it to look like I don't care because I'm not using most of the available space.

It is definitely okay to have less. Clear, concise, and straight to the point beats rambling to meet the maximum word count any day.

send me your essay and I will read it for you. That is the only way to know!

I just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday, but I submitted it without my DO letter because I'm still waiting on my letter writer. Those of you that received secondaries, did you have "complete" applications, i.e. all of your letters, MCAT scores, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Also, besides the five-question secondary essays that were shared by @premedhopeful16 and the photo, is there anything else in the secondary application? Thanks in advance!

Also, besides the five-question secondary essays that were shared by @premedhopeful16 and the photo, is there anything else in the secondary application? Thanks in advance!

Just a bunch of yes or no questions, name, address, and if you want to apply to the bridge program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday, but I submitted it without my DO letter because I'm still waiting on my letter writer. Those of you that received secondaries, did you have "complete" applications, i.e. all of your letters, MCAT scores, etc.? Thanks in advance!
I had everything complete except AACOMAS has not received my MCAT score yet

Yes, I had everything in.

I had my MCAT score and a few letters in (not enough to fulfill their requirements, though).

I had everything complete except AACOMAS has not received my MCAT score yet
Oh actually they did have my MCAT score since June 21. I just didn't realize it bec@use I didn't get a notification