2017-2018 Oakland University (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting. I really wanted to watch that webinar but couldn't. What else did they cover?
Honestly you did not miss too much. Most of what they covered could already be found by thoroughly reading their website. It was a 90 min webinar (roughly 60 min presentation about the school, course curriculum, life on campus etc, and the admissions process including their "holistic" review...the last 30 min were devoted to Q&A). Key takeaways for SDNers were that they said that OOS applicants do not need to have higher metrics (GPA, MCAT) than IS to be admitted and that they are treated the same as IS. The important issue, however, is that roughly half their class has to be reserved for IS so statistically OOS applicants have less of a chance since there are far more total OOS applicants than Michigan applicants for the same number of seats available). They also said they are slightly behind schedule due the increased volume of applications this year so that it may be a bit longer than the 6-8 week turnaround time for those complete in July. They also said if you've graduated from college already, don't take community college courses to raise your GPA or to complete outstanding prereqs but to take those classes through a University Extension program / post-bacc, etc. i fount that to be a bit strange since they explicitly state on their website that community college classes are acceptable but that ONLY upper div bio courses should be taken at a 4 year institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly you did not miss too much. Most of what they covered could already be found by thoroughly reading their website. It was a 90 min webinar (roughly 60 min presentation about the school, course curriculum, life on campus etc, and the admissions process including their "holistic" review...the last 30 min were devoted to Q&A). Key takeaways for SDNers were that they said that OOS applicants do not need to have higher metrics (GPA, MCAT) than IS to be admitted and that they are treated the same as IS. The important issue, however, is that roughly half their class has to be reserved for IS so statistically OOS applicants have less of a chance since there are far more total OOS applicants than Michigan applicants for the same number of seats available). They also said they are slightly behind schedule due the increased volume of applications this year so that it may be a bit longer than the 6-8 week turnaround time for those complete in July. They also said if you've graduated from college already, don't take community college courses to raise your GPA or to complete outstanding prereqs but to take those classes through a University Extension program / post-bacc, etc. i fount that to be a bit strange since they explicitly state on their website that community college classes are acceptable but that ONLY upper div bio courses should be taken at a 4 year institution.
Well crap. I've taken all my pre-reqs at CC. They're the only ones that are available in the evenings for those of us with careers. Feels bad...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well crap. I've taken all my pre-reqs at CC. They're the only ones that are available in the evenings for those of us with careers. Feels bad...
yeah same - i am currently taking 2nd semester physics at a cc. i'm not going to freaking drive 2 hours to my nearest 4 year institution after work to take it there when i can take it 10 min away from my full time day job.

Have you called to ask about this? I'm sure they're understanding of these types of situations. I took both of my gen chem classes at a community college and received an II over two weeks ago. It's worth calling them imo. Best of luck!

yeah same - i am currently taking 2nd semester physics at a cc. i'm not going to freaking drive 2 hours to my nearest 4 year institution after work to take it there when i can take it 10 min away from my full time day job.
And the cost savings... to take a single 4 credit class at the 4 year uni is ~$3k vs $250 at CC

Have you called to ask about this? I'm sure they're understanding of these types of situations. I took both of my gen chem classes at a community college and received an II over two weeks ago. It's worth calling them imo. Best of luck!
I would kind of hope they'd look at my application and connect the dots (over 30, current hours intensive career, long gap in education between undergrad and post bacc), but maybe I'll give them a call.

And the cost savings... to take a single 4 credit class at the 4 year uni is ~$3k vs $250 at CC
Them feels...I'm taking biochem at a uni right now and am paying nearly $3,000. For me, this class was worth it because it's an actual difference (upper vs. lower division), but I'm planning to take other general classes at CC. Personally, there are an abundance of good reasons to take classes at CC (such as a huge difference in affordability, accessibility, and offering evening classes). If a school doesn't understand that, I'm not sure I'd be a good fit for that place anywho. From what I know of Oakland, I don't think they'd hold this against you, though if you're worried call and check. I'd think it's only actually concerning if you're enrolled in a CC WHILE being enrolled in a university, which I've known some people to do because they wanted "easier teachers". Other than that kind of scenario, I'd think most schools understand why people do CC courses. Heck, my general chem professor at University taught at the local CC for 15 years with his PhD. Haha.

I would kind of hope they'd look at my application and connect the dots (over 30, current hours intensive career, long gap in education between undergrad and post bacc), but maybe I'll give them a call.
Yeah, I would think the same thing, but since they receive so many applications my neuroticism would make me call haha. But that's obviously just me.

Are you absolutely sure you heard this correctly? Unless this is a new policy since last year this doesn't seem right to me. OUWB is a private school (though OU is public) and has no obligation to Michigan residents, as far as I know. My class (current M3s) only has about 35% (see demographics for each class on the Class Profile page) and none of the last 4 classes have hit the 50% mark. Maybe it's a new thing though, idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Is it too late to apply here My LizzyM is ~70 ~3.9GPA 511 MCAT.

I would say it depends on how many schools you applied to that you think you have a reasonable shot at getting into and if you think it is worth the application fee to apply. I am not an expert but from what I have read online it is late to apply, but as long as it's before October you still have a good shot. Obviosly your chances are less than if you submitted earlier. Ultimately up to you though.

I would say it depends on how many schools you applied to that you think you have a reasonable shot at getting into and if you think it is worth the application fee to apply. I am not an expert but from what I have read online it is late to apply, but as long as it's before October you still have a good shot. Obviosly your chances are less than if you submitted earlier. Ultimately up to you though.
I think my stats are competitive at this school. I am also Canadian btw. I am scared that I applied too late and my file won't even be looked through

Hi, Is it too late to apply here My LizzyM is ~70 ~3.9GPA 511 MCAT.
I applied mid August and haven't heard anything yet. I believe Oct 16 is the date when one is truly late. (That is just my belief and has no documented scientific basis.)So, if you like the school, you can still give it a shot.

I think my stats are competitive at this school. I am also Canadian btw. I am scared that I applied too late and my file won't even be looked through
Just curious. Are there any US applicants for Canadian med schools? Never gave this serious thought but I do like Canada. Have visited thrice and felt at home always.

Just curious. Are there any US applicants for Canadian med schools? Never gave this serious thought but I do like Canada. Have visited thrice and felt at home always.
its extremely hard in Ontario. Most of my friends that got in had 3.95+ GPAs with stellar MCAT scores

I'm also a Canadian and my impression from talking to admissions was that we would be treated like any OOS. Do you have shadowing experience? That's the thing I am lacking :( and I'm not sure if it would be a red flag or if they understand that it's different up here.

I'm also a Canadian and my impression from talking to admissions was that we would be treated like any OOS. Do you have shadowing experience? That's the thing I am lacking :( and I'm not sure if it would be a red flag or if they understand that it's different up here.
Based on their webinar, the school puts much more value on community service. They did mention shadowing as something somewhat important but it seemed to be near the bottom of the list of importance compared to other factors.

II invite today. What a nice surprise!

Reactions: 2 users
Earliest Interview dates were in late November/Early December. Just wanted to let ya'll know!

Got an II a couple of hours ago. The next closest were end of November and early December. First II, so pretty nervous especially at such short notice. If anyone has any advice feel free to share.

Last edited:
Got an II a couple of hours ago. Strangely, I was able to schedule for this Friday. Maybe someone cancelled their interview? The next closest were end of November and early December. First II, so pretty nervous especially at such short notice. If anyone has any advice feel free to share.
Forgot to mention I'm IS

Got an II a couple of hours ago. Strangely, I was able to schedule for this Friday. Maybe someone cancelled their interview? The next closest were end of November and early December. First II, so pretty nervous especially at such short notice. If anyone has any advice feel free to share.

when were you complete?

II! Complete 7/19. Saw it at the tail end of a 12 hour scribe shift! So shocked I almost jumped out of my freaking chair! First MD interview!

Reactions: 8 users
II! Complete 7/19. Saw it at the tail end of a 12 hour scribe shift! So shocked I almost jumped out of my freaking chair! First MD interview!

Congrats bro. You earned it!

Congrats bro. You earned it!
Thanks bro congrats to you too! I've seen you in a lot of the threads for schools I'm applying to. Must have a similar app and interest in schools. Best of luck!

Hello! For those who received II, is there a pre-interview dinner for interviewees? Thank you and good luck everyone!

Got an II a couple of hours ago. The next closest were end of November and early December. First II, so pretty nervous especially at such short notice. If anyone has any advice feel free to share.
Don't worry homie you got this. I had it 2 weeks ago and it was the most chill interview ever (granted only my 2nd one ever and 1st one this cycle lol).

Just know answers to Why OU and Why You Fit OUWB and you should be good to go

Reactions: 2 users

Don't think we're treated like any other OOS unfortunately (although OOS should be irrelevant since OUWB is private). On their website they state preference is given to US Citizens/US Permanent residents

Anyone who submit in early Sept/ Late August hear back yet?

Submitted mid july as well. As a matter of fact, this was the first secondary i sent.

Interviewed here today and I loved it. If you have any questions let me know.

II just now! Complete 7/28. Thank god!

Reactions: 4 users
II just now! Completed 7/15. OOS, non-URM, LM 67.

Reactions: 3 users