2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! OOS! Interview date Oct. 3rd! Submitted Secondary June 29th.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright everyone, I'm going to start classes here on the 31st so I'll put in some things I think you should know about this entire process that should help you out.
  • If you do get an interview, I'd like to say that you are pretty much accepted already (the students that were with us told us this, and I was able to confirm this later talking to the staff. I was an undergraduate at NSU, so I have easy access to them). There is a small group of people that will be interviewing with you.
  • The interview process isn't bad at all, and you should be good to go unless you severely mess it up. They really do make you feel welcome.
  • You are interviewed by the faculty and questions definitely come from all of your applications. They generally want to see interest and want to know "Why NSU?"
  • They call a lot to make sure that you complete everything. This is definitely to make sure that you complete everything on time even if it seems like a pain. Before I even graduated, they kept calling me for my final transcript every week.
  • Even though we'll barely have time, there is a lot to explore and to do in the area (just head east for the beach). Sawgrass mills is like 10 miles away and should take you around 20 minutes to get to if you need to do some serious shopping.
  • There are background checks and immunizations that you have to get or document beforehand. This is like other medical schools, and they do give ample time so don't wait for last minute at risk of deferment.
  • An iPad is a requirement to take tests. So far the requirement has been IOS10, I don't know if that will change when IOS11 comes out. Can't be jailbroken, obviously. Take that into consideration for future costs and such.
  • Further costs outside of scrubs include a $642 mandatory medical equipment package and includes things like an otoscope. You also have to purchase a cardiology grade stethoscope and they offer 2 at discount along with this bulk package.
  • A car is recommended along with living off campus. This is South Florida, public transportation isn't like New York. There is a shuttle, but it only takes you around the area and to Fort Lauderdale. Rolling hills is ok if you are trying to figure things out, but living off campus offers you more freedom (you have to sign in/out any guests). It costs around the same to rent off campus, and you can try to carpool and share rent with another student. There are apartments around the area that contain mostly HPD students so noise shouldn't be an issue.
  • If you are going to stay at rolling hills, don't bother with the optional meal plan. The food is ok, and there are a ton of better dining options around the immediate area by both cost and taste.
  • First semester is 30 credits. Talked to my friend that is a 2nd year pharmacy student, each credit = an exam. So we're going to have fun lol.
That's pretty much what I would have liked to know beforehand. If you have any other questions, I'll see if I can get to them. I'm trying to enjoy these last few days before we begin. Sorry this might have been all over the place, I did this all on my phone while waiting to meet up with some one lol. Good luck in your endeavors of becoming a physician, I'm sure you all will do great.
Since you are at Nova I wanted to ask you if you have came across any Dual student and if you know how their application and interview process is.

Hi everyone and good luck on this application cycle! Just thought I'd leave you guys a message offering to answer any questions you may have. I am currently an M2 and also in the MPH program. Feel free to ask away! I'll try to remember to check this thread as often as I can.

app submitted late june and silence :( also did anyone ever receive file complete emails? Got one after submitting secondary saying thanks for submitting but never a complete one....

Reactions: 1 user
app submitted late june and silence :( also did anyone ever receive file complete emails? Got one after submitting secondary saying thanks for submitting but never a complete one....
They call you when they are reviewing your app. It looks like they sent out a bunch of interviews two weeks ago and none since then. I guess they review applications in batches.

Are interview invites here called or emailed? If called I should really set my voicemail up..
Idk if anyone has said this, but you 100% need to set your voicemail up lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had issues with NOVA receiving your LORs? Mine were complete/sent through AACOMAS about a month ago, but I just received a call from NOVA stating my file was incomplete due to missing documents. Called and was told it was about my letters...I'm assuming they might just be overloaded and have not had a chance to connect it to my application, but I wasn't sure if anyone was having the same issue.

Has anyone received an II within the past two weeks? I only see interviews from 8/25 but none since.

Last edited:
They call you when they are reviewing your app. It looks like they sent out a bunch of interviews two weeks ago and none since then. I guess they review applications in batches.
I did not receive a phone call

welp! never received a call. also sent them an email a few days ago asking about completion and never got a response. is it time to call them?

welp! never received a call. also sent them an email a few days ago asking about completion and never got a response. is it time to call them?

If you do decide to call, make sure you have time to wait on the phone. It took me 45 minutes to get through to someone this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had issues with NOVA receiving your LORs? Mine were complete/sent through AACOMAS about a month ago, but I just received a call from NOVA stating my file was incomplete due to missing documents. Called and was told it was about my letters...I'm assuming they might just be overloaded and have not had a chance to connect it to my application, but I wasn't sure if anyone was having the same issue.
When you login to webstar does it shows it is missing?
Awesome!!! I'm from the area so if any of you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Are you current BS/Do student at Nova? I am trying to figured out if 7 year program student started getting interview?

I just sent my primary to this school last week...hopefully its not too late! I hope I get the secondary soon, fingers crossed

I just sent my primary to this school last week...hopefully its not too late! I hope I get the secondary soon, fingers crossed
It's too late man.... you're probably not going to get in with submitting this late at a school like NOVA tbh. I would either wait for next cycle or go Carribbean

Last cycle some on applied really late in November at this school and he was accepted in July of this year.

Checking last years thread, a bunch of II were handed out in late July, and then II were not given out again until September 1st. Might be a long wait.

Hey guys. I just called Nova as they hadn't sent me a secondary and she was surprised I didn't receive it so she told me to go online and fill it out myself. She said I don't need an invite as my primary is in. I have been looking for the link all over their website with no luck. Can someone please send me the link to fill their secondary? Thanks!

Hey guys. I just called Nova as they hadn't sent me a secondary and she was surprised I didn't receive it so she told me to go online and fill it out myself. She said I don't need an invite as my primary is in. I have been looking for the link all over their website with no luck. Can someone please send me the link to fill their secondary? Thanks!
Here ya go: Admissions Login

Last cycle some on applied really late in November at this school and he was accepted in July of this year.
Indeed. Two more students got accepted after me as well. If you guys get an interview, you're basically in unless you are a complete idiot during your interview.

Just got a completion call! Submitted my secondary yesterday.
Do I have realistic chances of getting interview from NOVA?
cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 513
Master's degree + non-trad experiences (3 years work experience plus thousand+ hours of volunteering+shadowing)

Just got a completion call! Submitted my secondary yesterday.
Do I have realistic chances of getting interview from NOVA?
cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 513
Master's degree + non-trad experiences (3 years work experience plus thousand+ hours of volunteering+shadowing)
With that MCAT, yes, you are in great shape for any DO school except KCUCOM. You could probably get an MD interview or two with a big enough school list.

With that MCAT, yes, you are in great shape for any DO school except KCUCOM. You could probably get an MD interview or two with a big enough school list.

Happen to see the RVU bloodbath the other day? I've learned to take none of these schools for granted and added some more DOs because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am a Canadian applicant making my chances at MD schools very low! But thanks for your input!

Happen to see the RVU bloodbath the other day? I've learned to take none of these schools for granted and added some more DOs because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I did! I was one of the ones rejected although I did not have great stats like some. By "great shape for any DO school" I meant his/her stats would not be the reason for a rejection.

Last edited:
I wish all schools were like RVU and rejected students along the way, instead of stringing students along until the very end of the cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
I wish all schools were like RVU and rejected students along the way, instead of stringing students along until the very end of the cycle.

That's actually not so advantageous for the applicant. I've worked in admissions, and we've kept students along with the thought we'd probably reject them due to the high volume of applicants, but after 1-2 looks they would end up getting an II. These things take time and effort and it's nice that they are not looking to "get you." Idk anything about RVU but it seems fairly early to reject large numbers of applicants.

That's actually not so advantageous for the applicant. I've worked in admissions, and we've kept students along with the thought we'd probably reject them due to the high volume of applicants, but after 1-2 looks they would end up getting an II. These things take time and effort and it's nice that they are not looking to "get you." Idk anything about RVU but it seems fairly early to reject large numbers of applicants.

That is a very good point! I just think I'd prefer to know along the way if the school is definitely not interested in me.

The problem is when schools leave applicants hanging till the last minute, it leaves them at a huge disadvantage when they don't have time to improve their app before the next cycle. If I need to reapply, I'd rather know before December so I can take a load of courses to boost my GPA in the spring. If a school has a 99 chance of rejecting me pre-II come December, I'd rather them reject me and let me know rather than leave me waiting five/six more months to see if I'm that 1 in 100.

The problem is when schools leave applicants hanging till the last minute, it leaves them at a huge disadvantage when they don't have time to improve their app before the next cycle. If I need to reapply, I'd rather know before December so I can take a load of courses to boost my GPA in the spring. If a school has a 99 chance of rejecting me pre-II come December, I'd rather them reject me and let me know rather than leave me waiting five/six more months to see if I'm that 1 in 100.

This. Also, having to spend the time/money to go to a II toward the end of the cycle that would ultimately end up in a waitlist (at best) doesn't sound that great to me.

Also got the completion call this morning!

Also got the completion call this morning!
Was this different than the phone call to let you know they are processing your app?
I got a call two weeks ago from NOVA saying they are getting ready to process my app. I noticed all my LORs on their portal were marked as received right after the call. I have not gotten an email or phone call since.
Does this mean my app is complete?

Was this different than the phone call to let you know they are processing your app?
I got a call two weeks ago from NOVA saying they are getting ready to process my app. I noticed all my LORs on their portal were marked as received right after the call. I have not gotten an email or phone call since.
I am pretty sure it is, especially if your portal has everything shown up. But you can always call them and kill 20 minutes waiting on hold if you want to know for sure

Probably, sounds like it! You can always call to ask, they're very nice.

I can understand that. December seems reasonable. I just think August/September is calling it too quick.

This. Also, having to spend the time/money to go to a II toward the end of the cycle that would ultimately end up in a waitlist (at best) doesn't sound that great to me.

I think that's more of an issue with how they decide to manage waitlists. Schools should be upfront and say whether or not you are interviewing for a waitlist spot.