2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone include shadowing on the last essay question, or just strictly volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone include shadowing on the last essay question, or just strictly volunteering?
I didn't. The prompt read " List and briefly describe your significant health-care related volunteer activities since graduation from High School.". I limited it to volunteer activities. I figured they have access to my primary if they wanted to get a sense of my shadowing experiences. :);):(

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't. The prompt read " List and briefly describe your significant health-care related volunteer activities since graduation from High School.". I limited it to volunteer activities. I figured they have access to my primary if they wanted to get a sense of my shadowing experiences. :);):(

Same thing I was thinking.. I guess we will see!

Reactions: 1 user
Soooooo, I got a call from Nova saying that they needed additional docs for my app to be reviewed (3 rec letters only). I also have an upcoming MCAT retake date, but they didn't mention needing MCAT scores so I guess they'll consider my score on file? (a little worrisome haha).
All my letters have been ready since June 15th, but the pre-health is taking forever to put my committee letter together. I was told schools kinda frown upon you not using your prehealth office if you have one, but in retrospect, i wish I hadn't cuz i think if you have your letters in on time, it doesn't matter.!? I'm venting, but I would definitely not be having this problem had I not gone through my prehealth office. The DO I worked with submitted his letter directly through AACOMAS, and NOVA already has it. ugh.

Last edited:
Soooooo, I got a call from Nova saying that they needed additional docs for my app to be reviewed (3 rec letters only). I also have an upcoming MCAT retake date, but they didn't mention needing MCAT scores so I guess they'll consider my score on file? (a little worrisome haha).
All my letters have been ready since June 15th, but the pre-health is taking forever to put my committee letter together. I was told schools kinda frown upon you not using your prehealth office if you have one, but in retrospect, i wish I hadn't cuz i think if your have your letters in on time, it doesn't matter.!? I'm venting, but I would definitely not be having this problem had I not gone through my prehealth office. The DO I worked with submitted his letter directly through AACOMAS, and NOVA already has it. ugh.
Relax, it's still way early in the DO cycle! My committee letter isn't in yet either.

So... I got the complete phone call today. When I answered the phone, I didn't know it was them and was super irritated/answered harshly cause I thought it was Delta airlines (their customer service was supposed to call me back for something). Oops....

So... I got the complete phone call today. When I answered the phone, I didn't know it was them and was super irritated/answered harshly cause I thought it was Delta airlines (their customer service was supposed to call me back for something). Oops....
lol, you should have apologized

How soon does NOVA send interview invites?

Will I only receive II's once my MCAT is sent to the individual schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a call from admissions letting me know my application is complete and the review process will take a few weeks. :claps: I know others have received calls as well but this was actually really nice to have received myself!! I'm excited, the DO I shadow now went here and he loved it.

The DO I shadowed went here too! Nova is my #1 DO school

Secondary submitted! Now to painfully await my MCAT scores. Everyone, please, keep me in your thoughts bc I'm prob gonna explode while waiting lol k thx

Secondary submitted! Now to painfully await my MCAT scores. Everyone, please, keep me in your thoughts bc I'm prob gonna explode while waiting lol k thx
If you explode with a MCAT score of 510+, can I have it?

Good luck! Can I ask why you are only applying DO? Your GPA is certainly high enough for MD.

Good luck! Can I ask why you are only applying DO? Your GPA is certainly high enough for MD.
Perhaps some people like the philosophy of DO school better. After reading into it, I kind of like the DO philosophy.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps some people like the philosophy of DO school better. After reading into it, I kind of like the DO philosophy.

I can agree with this. I had fairly competitive stats for some MD programs, but I like the ideals of DO better.

If DO schools didn't have some the drawbacks that they have now, more people would be happy to attend DO school imo

I agree, was just curious what OP's reasons were!

I love several of the DO schools I'm applying to more than most of the MD schools on my list. I would definitely pick them over almost all of my MD schools. The only downside of DO is the bias.

I agree, was just curious what OP's reasons were!

I love several of the DO schools I'm applying to more than most of the MD schools on my list. I would definitely pick them over almost all of my MD schools. The only downside of DO is the bias.

For me it is the lack of significant research opportunities, lack of affiliated hospital to do rotations in some schools. Nova luckily does not have many of those issues which is why it's my #1 DO school. Idc much about bias. People are always going to find ways to judge you no matter what you do.

Reactions: 4 users
For me it is the lack of significant research opportunities, lack of affiliated hospital to do rotations in some schools. Nova luckily does not have many of those issues which is why it's my #1 DO school. Idc much about bias. People are always going to find ways to judge you no matter what you do.
Lack of affiliated hospitals is a big one for me as well.

It's not so much that I care what other people think, because I don't. It's more bias within the system, like when it comes to residency matching. I'm not interested in anything competitive so it's not a big deal for me, but I definitely think the internal bias in medicine is a downside to DO.

Lack of affiliated hospitals is a big one for me as well.

It's not so much that I care what other people think, because I don't. It's more bias within the system, like when it comes to residency matching. I'm not interested in anything competitive so it's not a big deal for me, but I definitely think the internal bias in medicine is a downside to DO.

Agreed 100%

Nova just sent me their email to check my app status and access their portal

NSU has a portal? I received a "complete" email, but no portal

I just got a complete call right now too! So guessing they processed my letters within the last hour

I just got a complete call right now too! So guessing they processed my letters within the last hour

I received a complete call and email but no portal? Should I call to ask about that?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Edit: I actually didn't get a complete e-mail but they did call me and tell me I was.

I received a complete call and email but no portal? Should I call to ask about that?

Edit: I actually didn't get a complete e-mail but they did call me and tell me I was.

I think if you are complete there is no need for the portal. It just says what is missing in your application

Hey guys, as some people have asked. I'm not sure how in depth our activity descriptions should be. Is just listing the volunteer experience as "volunteer at so and so institution" good enough? I could add a brief description but I would have to take out the experience dates and supervisor contact information for all of it to fit in the 2000 character limit.

I wish we could get an opinion from someone that has been accepted to their med school.

If you explode with a MCAT score of 510+, can I have it?
LOL I'm just hoping for a 503, my friend. You get a 503, I get a 510, tbh I would happily switch LOL

Thanks!! And I really just love the idea of having OMM integrated into my medical school education! I know that I can learn all of the same things as a DO that I can as an MD, and having that extra skillset of OMM is just a plus! I also, of course, really prefer the DO philosophy.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year Nova began sending out interviews around this time. Get your inboxes and portals ready everyone!

Reactions: 4 users

Same, I got a call but no email and no portal

Last year they started today. So hopefully they should come out soon. *fingers crossed*
Wow that's exciting and scary! I want an II here so bad!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Last year they started today. So hopefully they should come out soon. *fingers crossed*
Still missing letters, and upcoming MCAT so i'll quietly be in the corner haha. Good Luck everyone

Wow that's exciting and scary! I want an II here so bad!

Does anyone know around what time they started sending invites last year? Like hour of the day? asking for a friend. Feeling a little neurotic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know around what time they started sending invites last year? Like hour of the day? asking for a friend. Feeling a little neurotic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was around 2pm last year

It's 2pm in FL...