2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I assume you mean Davie area, since from what I remember, we don't have clinical spots in Ft. Lauderdale. As for competition, I don't know if you mean competition within the class for certain sites or competition with other schools. If the former, it depends year by year which site is the most wanted site. Most people don't want to move far so they rank the Dade and Broward county hospitals higher. Some hospitals are better than others, but at the least you'll still be rotating at a hospital and get inpatient experience. If the latter, schools sign contracts with hospitals for how many spots they'll allot for their students. It's already predetermined ahead of time how many students of a certain school can rotate through there, and at Nova you're guaranteed to have a complete 3rd year rotation and partial 4th year schedule set up, even if you're #240 on the lottery and the fact that there's also FAU, UM, and some carib students rotating in the area.

Students don't rotate at Broward Health?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody else copying and pasting information from your primary onto the secondary? For the employment and volunteer questions, that was all included on the primary...why just say the same thing but reword it?

When do the first interviews usually go out? This here is my TOP school and I would be super happy for some in state love.
I read on last years thread that the first II went out around 7/19... the wait begins!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the letters of recommendation requirement for nontraditional applicants?

I saw on the NSU-COM fact sheet that if you've been out of school for at least two years and professors are no longer available to contact the admissions counselor. I contacted them and this is what they said, "Non traditional applicants are recommended to send an additional supporting letter of reference along with the original amount required. Requirements for a letter from a physician or health professional cannot be exempted or substituted. The person writing the letters can be an academic advisor, professor, coworker, or supervisor or any one who is familiar with the applicant’s prior academic performance, potential, work habits, and suitability for graduate study."

Could someone clarify this for me? So it is okay to not have all the faculty letters of recommendation?

I've been out of school for more than two years, so I don't have the required letters of recommendations. I do have two science letters, two D.O. letters, and one employee letter.

NSU-COM fact sheet
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/nsucom_cib2018.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Does anyone know the letters of recommendation requirement for nontraditional applicants?

I saw on the NSU-COM fact sheet that if you've been out of school for at least two years and professors are no longer available to contact the admissions counselor. I contacted them and this is what they said, "Non traditional applicants are recommended to send an additional supporting letter of reference along with the original amount required. Requirements for a letter from a physician or health professional cannot be exempted or substituted. The person writing the letters can be an academic advisor, professor, coworker, or supervisor or any one who is familiar with the applicant’s prior academic performance, potential, work habits, and suitability for graduate study."

Could someone clarify this for me? So it is okay to not have all the faculty letters of recommendation?

I've been out of school for more than two years, so I don't have the required letters of recommendations. I do have two science letters, two D.O. letters, and one employee letter.

NSU-COM fact sheet
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/nsucom_cib2018.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Your letters will work.

I'm having some trouble with the employment question. They want level of responsibility for paid employment during college. What would you guys say for level of responsibility? Did you guys just give a description of your job?

I'm having some trouble with the employment question. They want level of responsibility for paid employment during college. What would you guys say for level of responsibility? Did you guys just give a description of your job?
I described my job, my responsibilities, and how much I worked each week. I went more into depth about the extent of my responsibilities than in my AACOMAS app.

Is the secondary asking for paid employment since college? Or any jobs (such as unpaid research work)? Also, how much detail are they looking for? I've only entered 1-2 lines per activity since the details are elaborated on in the primary. Not sure if I should add more.

I believe it's paid employment during college. I didn't list any employment that wasn't during schooling.

I pretty much copied and pasted my primary with a few edits. I went really into depth on my primary descriptions.

It's not an essay question. Answer in a few words (i.e. through parent who is a physician, through a presentation at X school, etc.).

For the other questions, you can write in paragraph form, though -- depending on how much info you have to provide.

What makes you think it's not an essay question?

I believe it's paid employment during college. I didn't list any employment that wasn't during schooling.

I pretty much copied and pasted my primary with a few edits. I went really into depth on my primary descriptions.

This one confused me because it said to start with current but to list employment during school. I called to ask because I'm nontrad and I've had employment since graduating. They said I could list employment starting with current and going back. I don't think either method is wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if it's possible to get IIs without having all your LORs in? My last LOR should be in by end of July :(

Anybody know if it's possible to get IIs without having all your LORs in? My last LOR should be in by end of July :(
Doubt it, because they won't review your app until you have enough LORs to meet their requirements.

How long does Nova take in sending you a secondary? Been verified for only a few days so I'm curious how long I'll have to wait.

How long does Nova take in sending you a secondary? Been verified for only a few days so I'm curious how long I'll have to wait.
I think I got mine a few days later...maybe like, 2.

I copied and pasted an 8000 characters into the textbox, it doesnt seem there is a limit?

is there any way to send the LOR via interfolio or do I have send it through AACOMAS?

For the employment question, are they wanting you to list any sort of employment that you were involved in during undergraduate years? I did have a job during my college years but it had nothing at all to do with medicine. I taped lectures and while it was a paid job, it really was more of a pocket money type of job and I feel like listing something like that seems really insignificant as I did not even mention this on my AACOMAS primary.

Does anyone know if Nova waives the secondary fee for those who have AACOMAS fee waiver? The website description confused me a bit regarding how they refund those with interviews..but also those who have fee waiver.

Does anyone know if Nova waives the secondary fee for those who have AACOMAS fee waiver? The website description confused me a bit regarding how they refund those with interviews..but also those who have fee waiver.

I emailed them about a week ago and have yet to hear back from them. Looks like you can only get it refunded if you get an interview and attend the interview

I emailed them about a week ago and have yet to hear back from them. Looks like you can only get it refunded if you get an interview and attend the interview
Thanks for your reply! I also emailed them today, but don't have high hopes for hearing back from them. Did you end up submitting your secondaries and paying the fee?

Thanks for your reply! I also emailed them today, but don't have high hopes for hearing back from them. Did you end up submitting your secondaries and paying the fee?
Yep paid the whole amount

Just got a call that my application was complete and is now being reviewed. Secondary submitted on 7/1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

For those who completed the secondary how much detail did you go into for the volunteer healthcare experiences?

I added in my shadowing experiences as well but in reality there is only so much you can write about shadowing and I feel like I am repeating a lot of what was already written on my primary... idk if this is good or not. Or if I should try and take a step back and think of other skills those experiences taught me...

So weird thing is, I never got an email from NOVA for a secondary but today I received a "friendly reminder notice" to fill out my secondary and they sent me the link for it. Does this mean their secondary was always available through an online portal??

Anyone know how strict they are about the LOR requirements? I don't have a non science professor letter. Would they accept MD letter instead?

Anyone know how strict they are about the LOR requirements? I don't have a non science professor letter. Would they accept MD letter instead?

Not strict at all. You just need 4 letters but call them to verify. I used a letter from a PA that I work very closely with.

So does NOVA not have a status page for the application? I went and logged back on after submitting my application and as I clicked through the same steps as before it was basically going to have me submit another application....Anyone else have this or is there a status page im missing?

So does NOVA not have a status page for the application? I went and logged back on after submitting my application and as I clicked through the same steps as before it was basically going to have me submit another application....Anyone else have this or is there a status page im missing?
I remember when I applied a couple years ago to NOVA they had a status page, but now I have the same thing as you where it just takes me to fill out a new application. Thought there was something wrong with mine but I don't think were the only ones then!

I got a call from admissions today telling me my application is incomplete (which I already knew...waiting on my committee letter) and that once I had that in, my app would be ready to be reviewed. This is the second time they've called me about this; I missed the first call, but they left a voicemail saying the same thing. I am very impressed with the fact that they called again and are seemingly on top of my application...makes me feel good!

Just got a call from admissions letting me know my application is complete and the review process will take a few weeks. :claps: I know others have received calls as well but this was actually really nice to have received myself!! I'm excited, the DO I shadow now went here and he loved it.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received news post-secondary submission regarding an interview ?? Nova called me on Tuesday, June 27th but I have not heard anything since and Im getting nervous now :(

Has anyone received news post-secondary submission regarding an interview ?? Nova called me on Tuesday, June 27th but I have not heard anything since and Im getting nervous now :(

When they called to tell me they received my application, I talked to the lady for a bit. She told me that it might take around one month before they start letting people know about interviews. That was like a week ago.

I just got the call that my app is complete. Lady said expect to hear back in 4-6 weeks.

I got the complete call today. So excited for this school!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Secondary Submitted! not sure what the deal is with the Fee waiver, but i didnt want to delay me secondary any longer. Good luck All!

So I got an email from Nova where they gave me an NSU ID to check any outstanding requirements. This is after my complete call. Any idea what that means? I also have no password just a an ID.

So I got an email from Nova where they gave me an NSU ID to check any outstanding requirements. This is after my complete call. Any idea what that means? I also have no password just a an ID.
Got the same email. Don't think it means anything.

Submitted my secondary Friday, today got an email confirming receipt of my application with a PDF version of my app. The waiting game begins!