2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I know. That's what I did, but I don't think we have to mail it in after we upload it.
Agreed :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the domicile form needed to be marked complete. I will probably not have it updated until the end of this month.

Is the domicile form needed to be marked complete. I will probably not have it updated until the end of this month.

Yeah, I believe you need it uploaded before they will mark you complete and begin your review. Since you aren't ED, you probably have some time to get it done, though.

In the email they sent me, "In case you have not already submitted this, please make sure you have uploaded the notarized declaration of residency in GA online at http://mdapply.mercer.edu. The form can be found in the RESIDENCY FORM TAB. We need this before the Admissions Committee can screen your application."

Are we supposed to mail it in? I thought we were supposed to keep the original and just upload a copy of it online. I can't remember what I did last year.
"I understand that I must additionally mail an original notarized copy of my declaration of domicile in the state of GA to Mercer University School of Medicine Admissions Office, 1550 College St, Macon, GA 31207, by the applicable deadline for the Secondary Application to be considered complete and eligible for screening by the Admissions Committee."

When you are submitting your application, this is part of the box you check. I figured it was worth the stamp to just send it along and let them have the original but I guess you could just call and confirm with them.

"I understand that I must additionally mail an original notarized copy of my declaration of domicile in the state of GA to Mercer University School of Medicine Admissions Office, 1550 College St, Macon, GA 31207, by the applicable deadline for the Secondary Application to be considered complete and eligible for screening by the Admissions Committee."

When you are submitting your application, this is part of the box you check. I figured it was worth the stamp to just send it along and let them have the original but I guess you could just call and confirm with them.

Yes! Thank you! I could have sworn I saw somewhere that we were supposed to mail it, but then I read in other places where it says to "retain the original for your records." I'm so confused...

I was actually about to mail mine on Friday and stuck the form into an envelope, but when I went to find the address to mail it, all I could find were directions to retain the original, so it's still sitting on my desk in an unaddressed envelope :laugh:

Last edited:
I emailed Jina, but I am assuming that the requirement to mail in the form is a residual part of an older secondary that didn't provide the option to upload.

Reapplicant on the waitlist currently, applied early decision this time around. My MSAR subscription just expired, does anyone know how many people typically apply Early Decision and how many people are interviewed? I know they take approximately half of the class usually from the waitlist, last year 55. Thanks

Reapplicant on the waitlist currently, applied early decision this time around. My MSAR subscription just expired, does anyone know how many people typically apply Early Decision and how many people are interviewed? I know they take approximately half of the class usually from the waitlist, last year 55. Thanks

According to the 2015-2016 data 79 people finished their secondary for early decision and 70 of them were interviewed. 53 then matriculated.

Does anyone know when interview invites will start being sent out for ED? I'm assuming after the admissions committee meets this month they'll start rolling out?

Based off of previous years, I would say anytime past the 20th as the earliest. In other words, after they this month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the waitlist this afternoon! I wish you all the best, and if you desire to read my stats and such, you can search through my older profile (ksturdy).

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted off the waitlist this afternoon! I wish you all the best, and if you desire to read my stats and such, you can search through my older profile (ksturdy).

Oh my god congrats!

Anyone knows the average gpa/mcat for mercer from last year? Thanks

Anyone knows the average gpa/mcat for mercer from last year? Thanks
According to MSAR out of all the accepted applicants average mcat was 507 (126/127/127/127), GPA was 3.72, and sGPA was 3.65. The matriculated averages are slightly lower.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a difference between "letter of recommendation" and "letter of recommendation entered by admissions"?
Does it mean the letters have to be added to the system after Mercer received it from AMCAS?

Is there a difference between "letter of recommendation" and "letter of recommendation entered by admissions"?
Does it mean the letters have to be added to the system after Mercer received it from AMCAS?

Letters of Recommendation are directly uploaded to the Secondary via AMCAS (as far as I know). They usually show up about a day after you submit your secondary in my experience.

Letters of Recommendation Entered by Admissions would be where letters sent directly to admissions would go (I'm assuming). I'm not really sure why anyone would use this section, but I never had anything come up in that section.

9. Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help them better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the primary AMCAS application, please summarize them below.

Are most people answering this or writing "N/A"? I kind of read it as an optional questions.
I am a non-traditional but I used another question to talk about that so I do not want to repeat myself. Other than that all my current activities were mentioned on my AMCAS, so again I don't want to repeat. Pretty sure I am going to leave it blank but wasn't sure if I am correctly interpreting this as an optional question.

Current M4 at MUSM here, just wanted to say good luck to all of you. Mercer is a wonderful community of great people who have had my back again and again. Studying at Mercer has been an excellent experience. Let me know if any of you have any questions. Good luck!

Current M4 at MUSM here, just wanted to say good luck to all of you. Mercer is a wonderful community of great people who have had my back again and again. Studying at Mercer has been an excellent experience. Let me know if any of you have any questions. Good luck!

Hey! Just wondering how the LGBT community is treated at this school. Mercer has a great diversity statement and really feels like I will be welcome here. Would love to hear the thoughts of someone who's actually attended. I don't mean to offend anyone who is religious. Tolerance goes both ways and I am happy to attend a school that has people who uphold their values and respect it a great deal. Just want to know if I would be respected as well. Thank you!

Which campus do you go to?

Hey! Just wondering how the LGBT community is treated at this school. Mercer has a great diversity statement and really feels like I will be welcome here. Would love to hear the thoughts of someone who's actually attended. I don't mean to offend anyone who is religious. Tolerance goes both ways and I am happy to attend a school that has people who uphold their values and respect it a great deal. Just want to know if I would be respected as well. Thank you!
I'm pretty sure Mercer attended the Pride event last year too.

They don't give a ****. Just be good to your classmates as you will spend a good about of time w/ them the first two years. We have several gay members in the class and nobody has ever batted an eye. Including the administration. While Mercer is officially a baptist school they split with the convention years ago. It isn't a thing at all.

They don't give a ****. Just be good to your classmates as you will spend a good about of time w/ them the first two years. We have several gay members in the class and nobody has ever batted an eye. Including the administration. While Mercer is officially a baptist school they split with the convention years ago. It isn't a thing at all.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks man!

Has anyone heard back about an interview yet? Any early decision folk??

II received this afternoon, they're going out. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Where do you get your declaration of domicile? Notary public? court?

I got mine notarized at a bank. I had to make an appointment though because not every bank employee can notarize. So you have to meet with one of those folks. Hope that helps!

I got mine notarized at a bank. I had to make an appointment though because not every bank employee can notarize. So you have to meet with one of those folks. Hope that helps!

SAME. Your bank generally can do it for free

I got mine done at my university for free. I know UPS also can do it at select stores too.

Do you guys know how many people are usually in your group on interview day? Is it like 5 people?

Does anyone know if they usually give out II for the ED group before getting to the RD group or they mix us up? Thanks

Does anyone know if they usually give out II for the ED group before getting to the RD group or they mix us up? Thanks

I think they give out both RD and ED II but RD interviewees sign up for a later time!

Do you guys know how many people are usually in your group on interview day? Is it like 5 people?

There were five applicants at my interview day including me! All interviews were one-on-one, but we went on the tour and had lunch together as a group. Best of luck to you!

There were five applicants at my interview day including me! All interviews were one-on-one, but we went on the tour and had lunch together as a group. Best of luck to you!
Wow! Ok, thank you so much. So, 5 is typically how many people interview in one day?

Just curious because I haven't heard of doing a declaration of domicile until this thread; are you doing one for every oos school or just your top choice?

Wow! Ok, thank you so much. So, 5 is typically how many people interview in one day?

Yes, 5 is the usual amount. You have two 30-45 minute interviews, one with someone on the committee and another with a professor. Almost everyone goes to their interviews at the same time, so there are 5 interviews in the morning (one per person) and 5 in the afternoon (one per person) unless your interviewer has a schedule conflict.

Getting ready to knock this sucker out today.

Might be just me, but it feels like they're really asking just two questions in 9 prompts.

Yes, 5 is the usual amount. You have two 30-45 minute interviews, one with someone on the committee and another with a professor. Almost everyone goes to their interviews at the same time, so there are 5 interviews in the morning (one per person) and 5 in the afternoon (one per person) unless your interviewer has a schedule conflict.
Great, thank you for the details!

About to submit but scratching my head a bit over the wording of this prompt:

7. The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences you believe reflect congruence with this mission. There is no need to elaborate on relevant experiences listed in your primary application but please include references to them as appropriate, and summarize them here.

So, they want a strict summation of my experiences and and their sterile connection to the school's mission? Is it acceptable to discuss why I believe they relate to the school's mission, and how they have influenced my future goals, or is that nasty "elaboration" territory?