2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone still not get a secondary... I was verified before apps were sent out on June 30. OOS, pretty good stats, checked spam and everything.

Edit: just kidding, wow it was like 4 pages back in my secondary e-mail for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone still not get a secondary... I was verified before apps were sent out on June 30. OOS, pretty good stats, checked spam and everything.

Edit: just kidding, wow it was like 4 pages back in my secondary e-mail for some reason.
That only goes to remind me that I should have created a secondary only email. Glad you got it though

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I don't think anyone technically put all the prompts for all 3 campuses, so here they are:
Verified 6/13, Secondary 7/11, OOS

@Lucca
Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. 3000 characters

Describe your motivation for pursuing a community-based medical education program and how it will prepare you for your future career in medicine. Identify experiences in which you have lived or otherwise interfaced with rural or medically under-served communities and how they have influenced you. 3000 characters

Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community. 1500 characters

Describe a time when you found a creative solution to a challenging or unfamiliar situation. Include what you learned from the experience. 2000 characters

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the difference between the Milwaukee campus and the other two campuses (rural-focus, 3-year path, ect), but what would you guys say are the main differences between CW and GB? They always seemed to be lumped together.

I understand the difference between the Milwaukee campus and the other two campuses (rural-focus, 3-year path, ect), but what would you guys say are the main differences between CW and GB? They always seemed to be lumped together.

I think they pretty much have the same mission but serve different locations in Wisconsin

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MCW claims to holistically review applicants but I heard that the reason they implemented CASPer this year is so they could weed out the bottom 10-15% of applicants based strictly on their CASPer results. I hope this isn't true but it wouldn't surprise me.

MCW claims to holistically review applicants but I heard that the reason they implemented CASPer this year is so they could weed out the bottom 10-15% of applicants based strictly on their CASPer results. I hope this isn't true but it wouldn't surprise me.
I thought they also had CASPer last year. But well, let's all hope we do well on that

Where did you hear this?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows whether I would need to submit an additional graduate program letter for the secondary. I am currently enrolled in my program, but it started a little less than 4 weeks ago. Would that be considered "recently accepted" ? I'm going to call tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone might already know the answer to this question!

Hey everyone. Applied all three, #1 choice CW. Patiently waiting for CASPer results to come in.

i submitted my secondary and letters back on 7/4 and they are still under review. do you guys suggest i email admissions to make sure that they are being processed?

Have you taken the CASPer test? I don't think they review your application until they receive your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummed to see that MCW has added CASPer. Wish I had realized it sooner because now my application won't be complete until sometime in September. :(

Bummed to see that MCW has added CASPer. Wish I had realized it sooner because now my application won't be complete until sometime in September. :(
When did you take Casper? Does anyone know how long it takes for them to receive our scores?

When did you take Casper? Does anyone know how long it takes for them to receive our scores?
I literally just finished taking my CASPer exam. I thought it said the score would take 3 weeks to get to schools but I could be mistaken.

I haven't taken it yet. If I had realized it sooner, I would have taken it today. They should really offer more testing dates.

I heard about a month until schools receive scores.

I haven't taken it yet. If I had realized it sooner, I would have taken it today. They should really offer more testing dates.

I heard about a month until schools receive scores.
a month? lol that's a mini MCAT haha

I literally just finished taking my CASPer exam. I thought it said the score would take 3 weeks to get to schools but I could be mistaken.
What did you think of it? I took a practice one yesterday? and I was fine for the most part.. I typed fast and had time afterwards to review

What did you think of it? I took a practice one yesterday? and I was fine for the most part.. I typed fast and had time afterwards to review
Yeah I pretty much had the same situation on the exam. I was definitely stressing for no reason beforehand lol. It's all basic common sense stuff in my opinion.

Yeah I pretty much had the same situation on the exam. I was definitely stressing for no reason beforehand lol. It's all basic common sense stuff in my opinion.
scheduled for 08/10/17 didn't know it took weeks to send scores to MCW lol this application cycle is teaching me mad patience skills. +pity+

scheduled for 08/10/17 didn't know it took weeks to send scores to MCW lol this application cycle is teaching me mad patience skills. +pity+
Dang. Seven of the schools I applied to either require it or recommend it lol I feel like even taking it yesterday I was late!

Dang. Seven of the schools I applied to either require it or recommend it lol I feel like even taking it yesterday I was late!
haha, you'll be fine! congrats on the 2 II so far though.
MCW is the only one i'm applying to that asks for it

haha, you'll be fine! congrats on the 2 II so far though.
MCW is the only one i'm applying to that asks for it
Thanks!! Wow good luck that's awesome that this is the only school you have to worry about with Casper lol

Have you taken the CASPer test? I don't think they review your application until they receive your score.
yea i took it on 7/9, a diff school sent me a complete email saying that they have my CASPer results but idk if thats actually true or not.

Hey all!

I am an incoming OOS M1 at MCW (Milwaukee campus) who will be starting in a few weeks. Although I don't have as much insight as someone who has already been attending MCW (I'll obviously have more to provide once classes start) I'd be more than happy to answer whatever questions there are about the application process, the school, or anything else in general!

Best of luck to all of you this cycle :)

Can I PM you? I'd really appreciate it!

The biggest differences between CW and GB are location and facilities.

The CW campus is located in Wausau. Wausau is a city of ~40,000 people. The CW campus is located in the hospital (Aspirus Wausau Hospital), but I believe that it uses the anatomy lab of a local technical college (Northcentral Technical College, which is less than 5 minutes away from the hospital campus).

The GB campus is located in the science building of St. Norbert College, a small, private, Catholic, liberal arts college. St. Norbert College is technically located in De Pere, which is right next to Green Bay. MCW-GB has its own classrooms at St. Norbert, and the med students use the college's anatomy lab. (Fun fact: The Packers stay at the St. Norbert dorms during training camp.)

Obviously, Green Bay/De Pere is a much bigger area than Wausau (~130,000 people vs. 40,000 people). Also, Appleton and Oshkosh are approximately 30-45 minutes away from De Pere.

Ultimately, both Wausau and De Pere/Green Bay are very safe areas and are good places to raise kids (if you're at that point in your life). They are both surrounded by small, rural communities and embrace the WI culture. Both cities love beer and the Packers.

Just finished my secondary, is there an actual submit button!? I can no longer edit though.

The biggest differences between CW and GB are location and facilities.

The CW campus is located in Wausau. Wausau is a city of ~40,000 people. The CW campus is located in the hospital (Aspirus Wausau Hospital), but I believe that it uses the anatomy lab of a local technical college (Northcentral Technical College, which is less than 5 minutes away from the hospital campus).

The GB campus is located in the science building of St. Norbert College, a small, private, Catholic, liberal arts college. St. Norbert College is technically located in De Pere, which is right next to Green Bay. MCW-GB has its own classrooms at St. Norbert, and the med students use the college's anatomy lab. (Fun fact: The Packers stay at the St. Norbert dorms during training camp.)

Obviously, Green Bay/De Pere is a much bigger area than Wausau (~130,000 people vs. 40,000 people). Also, Appleton and Oshkosh are approximately 30-45 minutes away from De Pere.

Ultimately, both Wausau and De Pere/Green Bay are very safe areas and are good places to raise kids (if you're at that point in your life). They are both surrounded by small, rural communities and embrace the WI culture. Both cities love beer and the Packers.

Wow thank you so much!!! This was some awesome information! I ultimately decided to rank CW first because I am rural person through and through (Hometown less than 2,500). But I actually went to UW-Oshkosh, and I did not realize they were so close to De Pere. Not a huge football person, but I can get behind the beer love!

Finally complete today! GB campus #1 choice here, regional campus applicant only (in-state). Now the waiting game.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know if youre officially complete?
You have to check on your applicant portal. Under "My Account" scroll down a little until you find "Overall Application Status". They don't send you an email.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been complete since last week. No official email

Does it say your Casper is complete? Mine says complete but when you go to supplemental tab it is blank by caper for me. I took the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same here, blank by CASPer. I'm assuming if you took the 6/28 one, as did I, MCW should have received the score by this past Friday.

So my overall application status is "In Progress" and my LoRs are listed as "under review" even though they were submitted 10 days ago. Should I be concerned?

So my overall application status is "In Progress" and my LoRs are listed as "under review" even though they were submitted 10 days ago. Should I be concerned?
Mine says the same thing, and I submitted about a week ago too! I wouldn't worry!

i submitted my secondary and letters back on 7/4 and they are still under review. do you guys suggest i email admissions to make sure that they are being processed?

I submitted my secondary and everything 7/8 and they are still under review as well. SOoooooooooo idk :(

Same here, blank by CASPer. I'm assuming if you took the 6/28 one, as did I, MCW should have received the score by this past Friday.
UIC received mine like 2 weeks ago...too bad CASPER is above the law and has complete anonymity and no communication with us about results

Reactions: 6 users
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. OOS

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. OOS
If you post this on a couple more of the threads it will instantly increase your chances. You're on to something...

Reactions: 13 users
If you post this on a couple more of the threads it will instantly increase your chances. You're on to something...
haha i figured it would increase the chances of someone replying- unfortunately it didn't occur to me that I would be blowing up everyone's notifications, and I'm sorry for that

II, OOS, Complete 7/8

Reactions: 8 users