2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying here to regional campuses only as an OOS. Checking in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody take Casper today? I took it and I don't know how to gage it :nailbiting: just wanted other people's opinions

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody take Casper today? I took it and I don't know how to gage it :nailbiting: just wanted other people's opinions
Yup, don't really know what to think because I don't know what's at stake. Managed to get 1-2 sentences for most answers, had a couple where I had to stop mid-sentence because of the timer. Not too bad though.

Yeah I got most of my answers in but felt that the situations got more difficult the further you went

idk how much weight it pulls so I guess we'll see :xf:

CASPer was a stress fest! I noticed myself slowly caring less and less about grammatical errors (they told us not to worry about it anyways) as time went on... So by the end my answers were all basically a run-on sentence with a bunch of dependent clauses... Also hoping the score doesn't carry much weight and actually kind of glad I won't have to know what I got :lame:

Anyone have any status change on the Applicant Portal? Still have "Under Review" and "In Progress" here

I just paid my application fee and filled out the secondary, however I don't have a green checkmark next to "Supplemental Items".

On the main page it says Application Status "In Progress", and it then says "please review supplemental items tab on the left to review additional information required to complete your application". Should I wait a few days for them to receive my LORs, and then I'll get a green check mark or what?

If I click the Supplemental Items tab, it says "Under Review" next to LOR, and everything else is either Valid, or N/A. Do I have to take the Casper test before getting the green check mark?

I just paid my application fee and filled out the secondary, however I don't have a green checkmark next to "Supplemental Items".

On the main page it says Application Status "In Progress", and it then says "please review supplemental items tab on the left to review additional information required to complete your application". Should I wait a few days for them to receive my LORs, and then I'll get a green check mark or what?

If I click the Supplemental Items tab, it says "Under Review" next to LOR, and everything else is either Valid, or N/A. Do I have to take the Casper test before getting the green check mark?
I think I remember reading somewhere that you'll never have a green checkmark next to the supplemental items tab. Just a quirk in their system I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember reading somewhere that you'll never have a green checkmark next to the supplemental items tab. Just a quirk in their system I guess.

So then does everyone else have "In Progress" next to application status? Or do some have "Under Review"?

So then does everyone else have "In Progress" next to application status? Or do some have "Under Review"?
I can't speak for others, but my application is "in progress" while my LORs are "under review".

What do your letters say? Under the supplemental tab
Mine says complete as well. Once your letters have been processed, they switch the letters to processed, instead of under review.

Anyone know how strict MCW is with their psychology/sociology requirement? I took a LGBTQ studies course which I would think should count as sociology. My school offered it as a Gender and Women's studies course, but it seemed close enough. I had called the admissions office and they said they weren't sure if it would count or not.

Did you get an email? Just checked the portal, and I'm the same. Yay! Time to wait for CASPer to go through though. Does everyone still have an empty space next to the CASPer section?

No I checked the portal, too once I saw everyone else notice their status changed. I guess I still have an empty space next to my CASPer section, too. However, the front page says "Complete" so I took it and ran with it. CASPer's gonna take forever... :/

No I checked the portal, too once I saw everyone else notice their status changed. I guess I still have an empty space next to my CASPer section, too. However, the front page says "Complete" so I took it and ran with it. CASPer's gonna take forever... :/

Ok cool. Yeah, whatevs. We're all in the same boat. In hindsight, I guess I could have worked on this app later since they won't even be reviewing it for another month. It was the first one I submitted haha.

Ok cool. Yeah, whatevs. We're all in the same boat. In hindsight, I guess I could have worked on this app later since they won't even be reviewing it for another month. It was the first one I submitted haha.

It's hard to even worry bc yeah, we all had to take the test and wait for scores. Those darn June-and-earlier test-takers have me, though. *shakes fist*

Green Bay and Central Wisc campuses are 3-year programs and Milwaukee is the normal 4 year? Am I understanding this correctly?

Anyone who is familiar with the program and the scholarly pathways for the Milwaukee campus; how do they work? do you pick one pathway to do, or can you pick more than one during the 4 years of med school?

Anyone who is familiar with the program and the scholarly pathways for the Milwaukee campus; how do they work? do you pick one pathway to do, or can you pick more than one during the 4 years of med school?
Rising M2 here. You pick one pathway. You can switch after your first year, but it's really designed for you to just do one.

@Above&Beyond May be a bad question, but Is the Urban and community health scholarly path only urban populations or does it also include other communities like rural populations?

@Above&Beyond May be a bad question, but Is the Urban and community health scholarly path only urban populations or does it also include other communities like rural populations?

I'm not in that pathway so I can't really say if they learn about rural populations in their core sessions or not. I know that a lot of activities that you can do with that pathway are community service related, and I would guess that they are usually local. With that being said, everyone has to make an Individualized Learning Plan for their pathway, which basically allows you to do whatever you want to do and have it count towards your pathway hours. So if the pathway doesn't end up including as much rural stuff as you'd like, you can certainly build it in yourself.

My first II! Came in an email this morning. Dates are 9/8 and 9/14

Reactions: 6 users
Under 'Supplemental Items' does anyone have a box beside Casper or is it blank for everyone else? I wrote Casper on the earliest date and nothing is beside the Casper category.

Under 'Supplemental Items' does anyone have a box beside Casper or is it blank for everyone else? I wrote Casper on the earliest date and nothing is beside the Casper category.
It probably won't say anything until they receive your scores

when were you complete/when did you take CASPER? Congrats!!
I was complete on 7/3 (the day I received the secondary) and took Casper on 6/28. I am not from Wisconsin, but close by. If anyone else hears back or has questions, feel free to message we so we can talk :)

Update: The box next to my CASPer score is empty too. I think they might be reading by MCAT??

Last edited:
Did anyone get a "completed" email after you certified your application? I'm not sure if I submitted it or not...I haven't taken CASPer yet (registered for 7/26).

Hi guys I'm an incoming M1 at the Milwaukee campus as well if you have any questions I'm happy to help as much as I can

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

good luck all! Just got my secondary, their curriculum looks super rich

Hey everyone. I'm here to join in on the other incoming M1's that would be willing to offer my limited experience with MCW. Unfortunately I can't help you with any info for the CASPER as I don't believe it was required last year. Other than that feel free to message me.

I want you guys' input on the URM section of MCW's secondary. It has a bunch of checkboxes that are basically their standards for being considered URM. While I am not ethnically or racially a URM (i.e. black, latino, native american, etc.), one of the checkboxes says "I have overcome a significant hardship". Under this qualification, I do believe I am URM as I had to deal with my brother's drug addiction and the effects it had on my family. Easily one of the most difficult periods of my life. Do you guys think this is appropriate for me to include as a "significant hardship"?

Definitely. That absolutely qualifies as a significant hardship that would be completely reasonable to write about.
Thank you! I was hesitant since URM usually invokes ideas of ethnicity or race only but the more I think about it, the more I feel it is fitting.

I want you guys' input on the URM section of MCW's secondary. It has a bunch of checkboxes that are basically their standards for being considered URM. While I am not ethnically or racially a URM (i.e. black, latino, native american, etc.), one of the checkboxes says "I have overcome a significant hardship". Under this qualification, I do believe I am URM as I had to deal with my brother's drug addiction and the effects it had on my family. Easily one of the most difficult periods of my life. Do you guys think this is appropriate for me to include as a "significant hardship"?

You seem like you already know the answer to your question.

Is it in our best interest to just apply to all 3 locations if we have no particular preference, just to maximize our chances? Or is there a factor I am not considering?

Is it in our best interest to just apply to all 3 locations if we have no particular preference, just to maximize our chances? Or is there a factor I am not considering?

It won't really help you if you don't have ties to the gb campus or the cw campus they're fairly small class sizes (~<50) but the main campus is 200+ and I think they see right through it as I applied to all three and only got into main campus which is the one I wanted bc I have no real ties to the area and I wasn't interested in going into a 3 yr program.

YES!