2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would you be willing to take a look at my secondary, trying to submit in the next two days
Sure, PM me it and I'll take a look at it a bit later

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if SHCD (M.D. Program - Science of Health Care Delivery) is also part of the curriculum at the MN campus too? Couldn't find any specifications, so I was inclined to believe that it is. However, I wasn't 100% sure because this was created in collaboration with ASU.

Edit: Okay I'm 99% sure it's part of the standard curriculum at both campuses as it's mentioned on the Year 1 curriculum page.

Hello everyone! I just started at Mayo in Rochester as an M1 a week ago. Yes, the SHCD is part of our curriculum as well. Both campuses will get the same curriculum. The main difference I see between the campuses (besides location, of course) is that there seem to be more research opportunities in Rochester. All the MD PhD students are here with us.

So far I have loved my time here. Our class is only about 50 students and we have all gotten to know each other. It truly feels like family. The faculty are incredibly nice as well.

If anyone has any questions, hit me up! Good luck to everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I just started at Mayo in Rochester as an M1 a week ago. Yes, the SHCD is part of our curriculum as well. Both campuses will get the same curriculum. The main difference I see between the campuses (besides location, of course) is that there seem to be more research opportunities in Rochester. All the MD PhD students are here with us.

So far I have loved my time here. Our class is only about 50 students and we have all gotten to know each other. It truly feels like family. The faculty are incredibly nice as well.

If anyone has any questions, hit me up! Good luck to everybody.

Why do you think you were accepted? :)
Do you live with other first years? How gentrified is the location (it seems like it is)
Does it seem like all 50 students plan on doing everything together as a cohort (socials, retreats, restaurants)?
Thank you!

Why do you think you were accepted? :)
Do you live with other first years? How gentrified is the location (it seems like it is)
Does it seem like all 50 students plan on doing everything together as a cohort (socials, retreats, restaurants)?
Thank you!

I've noticed everyone in my class has very unique and varied life experiences. We all have something to bring to the table in terms of knowledge and diversity. I consider myself extremely lucky for getting accepted. My scores weren't stellar (LizzyM around 69-70). Ultimately, I think I got accepted because of my longitudinal experiences in patient care. I also thought my interview went really well. IMO the interview is really important at a place like Mayo. They really want to have students who fit their mission--the needs of the patient come first.

Rochester is a great city. I was picturing "very small town" before moving here, but the city is pretty vibrant considering we are in the middle of nowhere in MN. I love cities on the larger side, and I haven't really felt isolated here. That caught me by surprise. There are nicer developments popping up all over the city. There is also an effort by the city and Mayo to help make this place a destination medical center. But Rochester retains its charm. I heard someone describe it as the largest small town in America. It's a pretty fun and convenient place to live.

We do a lot of things together, although there are always going to be some people who only like to go to certain events. I kind of like the fact that attendance is mandatory since it really forces us to build bonds with everyone in our class. Although some people prefer to hang out at bars and others will want to go camping (for example), I think everyone makes an effort to meet each other outside of school. It really is like a family.

Some students live on their own, some have roommates, some live with their SO's. It's a mixed bag really. I have noticed a lot of people are married/engaged/in relationships compared to other schools I visited. But SO's will come to events and it's fun to meet them as well. Personally, I do not live with other first years.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 6 users
If I haven't gotten a secondary yet, should I be worried? LizzyM 73
Starting to get worried :/
Hey, FranticPreMed, do not worry! It's been stated repeatedly that there is a simple MCAT cutoff (at the 75th percentile), and if you're within that I think you'll be okay. This process is long, and random at times—so be patient!

I'll add to the discussion about timing, to show how random it may be: I got both AZ's and MN's within two minutes of each other. I really think there's little rhyme or reason to the screening at this point. Everyone chillllllll out.

Reactions: 1 user
I just had an interesting thought.
Do we know if Mayo is doing LOR requests this year?
I know that the Mayo website says they are: M.D. Program - Application Review Process
However, MSAR and the secondary app seems to hint that LOR is integrated into secondary.

MSAR's Information about Applicant Selection Section:
"Upon receipt of the fee and any other required materials, prerequisite coursework and letters of recommendation will be verified. Once the application is completed, it will forwarded to the reviewers for comprehensive, holistic, eyes-on review..."

Secondary:
"A completed application includes verified AMCAS application, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and application fee."
The status of my app is listed as "complete."

There is also the fact that it is 7/24 and no one seems to have gotten LOR requests.
If they plan on sending out II in August, I feel like we should have something going on by now.

Clearly I have too much time after finishing my secondaries.
Bash me for it but I am curious.

I just had an interesting thought.
Do we know if Mayo is doing LOR requests this year?
I know that the Mayo website says they are: M.D. Program - Application Review Process
However, MSAR and the secondary app seems to hint that LOR is integrated into secondary.

MSAR's Information about Applicant Selection Section:
"Upon receipt of the fee and any other required materials, prerequisite coursework and letters of recommendation will be verified. Once the application is completed, it will forwarded to the reviewers for comprehensive, holistic, eyes-on review..."

Secondary:
"A completed application includes verified AMCAS application, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and application fee."
The status of my app is listed as "complete."

There is also the fact that it is 7/24 and no one seems to have gotten LOR requests.
If they plan on sending out II in August, I feel like we should have something going on by now.

Clearly I have too much time after finishing my secondaries.
Bash me for it but I am curious.
Interesting thought, but one would have to go back to last year's thread to figure out when they started sending out LOR requests.

At this point, all we know is that Mayo has changed up their screening processes and secondary application. I think it's safe to say that we'll start getting some movement, hopefully, beginning of August; I wouldn't hold my breath for anything before then—though you never know.

Interesting thought, but one would have to go back to last year's thread to figure out when they started sending out LOR requests.

At this point, all we know is that Mayo has changed up their screening processes and secondary application. I think it's safe to say that we'll start getting some movement, hopefully, beginning of August; I wouldn't hold my breath for anything before then—though you never know.

Last year LOR requests were reported starting like the second week of July, but primaries were forwarded to med school slightly earlier, so idk

Apologies for not properly reading the thread before posting, but since iirc one of the MS#'s posted here or AZ that the two's curriculum are similar/identical (down to the selectives), did anyone think it safe to copy-paste the "why us" essay to both schools? (Not sure if this year would be the first to try it or if prior years got a similar "why us" before interviews--I think the latter is true.)

EDIT: Also, do we get to pick our recommendation letters for this place? My PI letter is the fourth one in my account, so them taking only the first 3 would be kinda problematic.

Hey, FranticPreMed, do not worry! It's been stated repeatedly that there is a simple MCAT cutoff (at the 75th percentile), and if you're within that I think you'll be okay. This process is long, and random at times—so be patient!

I'll add to the discussion about timing, to show how random it may be: I got both AZ's and MN's within two minutes of each other. I really think there's little rhyme or reason to the screening at this point. Everyone chillllllll out.

Hey begoood95, thank you for your help!! I appreciate your response!!! Does that mean that the 75th percentile is the lower bound or upper bound? Like if my MCAT is above the 75th percentile, will I receive a secondary?

Thanks again!

Hey begoood95, thank you for your help!! I appreciate your response!!! Does that mean that the 75th percentile is the lower bound or upper bound? Like if my MCAT is above the 75th percentile, will I receive a secondary?

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure it's the lower bound. So above 75 should get you one

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone think it safe to copy-paste the "why us" essay to both schools?

Haven't submitted yet, but that's my plan as far as the curriculum/academic side goes. The two campuses are located in very different environments (hot af and cold af for starters), and have access to different facilities as well.

If anyone has any other input, I'd appreciate it!

Haven't submitted yet, but that's my plan as far as the curriculum/academic side goes. The two campuses are located in very different environments (hot af and cold af for starters), and have access to different facilities as well.
Haha, between hot af and cold af, I'd definitely prefer the former. (Cali resident--from colder North, but much prefer hotter South.) I must not have investigated the facilities enough; most of my "why us" was talking about family-like environment and selectives instead. What are the most interesting MN or AZ-only facilities, do you think? (Asking before visiting the website; looking now too.)

Trying really hard to write good essays and submit. I love this school

@thenucleusaccumbens
@Darkkprince
@E4357

What kind of programs does Mayo have for the socioeconomically disadvantaged who have limited access to healthcare?

I absolutely love Mayo's mission of taking care of the needs of each patient, but at the same time, the more I find out about Mayo, the more I can't resist the idea of seeing it as a hospital system focused on the ultra rich.

I am absolutely not trying to criticize- don't get me wrong. I have volunteered, shadowed, and done projects at a large safety net hospital, so I am very interested in serving the less fortunate. I want my medical school to have at least some focus/program in this field too.

I read all these articles about how Mayo recognizes hospitals and doctors are unfamiliar and stressful things for patients, so Mayo clinics are set up like hotels starting right from the lounge. The list goes on. The extensive art gallery, doctors dressing in suits instead of white coats in outpatient services, the inpatient services such as the right to request to talk to a doctor who will come within 3 days for a 20 min talk...

All these definitely are convenient for the patient, but I'm sure the bill will rise accordingly. It is not necessarily a bad thing. I recognize that Mayo is non profit and that its revenue is continuously reinvested for improvement and research.

I saw your post that you saw some patients' expensive surgeries paid for by charity at Mayo. Other than this, what other programs does Mayo have that allows students to get involved in providing healthcare to the socioeconomically disadvantaged?

(Other than international mission trips. I'm sure Mayo does this like most other med schools)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@thenucleusaccumbens
@Darkkprince
@E4357

What kind of programs does Mayo have for the socioeconomically disadvantaged who have limited access to healthcare?

I absolutely love Mayo's mission of taking care of the needs of each patient, but at the same time, the more I find out about Mayo, the more I can't resist the idea of seeing it as a hospital system focused on the ultra rich.

I am absolutely not trying to criticize- don't get me wrong. I have volunteered, shadowed, and done projects at a large safety net hospital, so I am very interested in serving the less fortunate. I want my medical school to have at least some focus/program in this field too.

I read all these articles about how Mayo recognizes hospitals and doctors are unfamiliar and stressful things for patients, so Mayo clinics are set up like hotels starting right from the lounge. The list goes on. The extensive art gallery, doctors dressing in suits instead of white coats in outpatient services, the inpatient services such as the right to request to talk to a doctor who will come within 3 days for a 20 min talk...

All these definitely are convenient for the patient, but I'm sure the bill will rise accordingly. It is not necessarily a bad thing. I recognize that Mayo is non profit and that its revenue is continuously reinvested for improvement and research.

I saw your post that you saw some patients' expensive surgeries paid for by charity at Mayo. Other than this, what other programs does Mayo have that allows students to get involved in providing healthcare to the socioeconomically disadvantaged?

(Other than international mission trips. I'm sure Mayo does this like most other med schools)

MN has a large somali refugee population, Idk if its near Rochester, but thats one likely population to work with. But yeah, mayo is definitely a referral clinic where patients from all over the world fly in to get treated by the best

@thenucleusaccumbens
@Darkkprince
@E4357

Yeah, the Mayo Clinic is a predominantly secondary and tertiary healthcare system. The following is a link to the Mayo Clinic's 2015 tax filing, box (4b) is the description of the Non-profit Patient Care.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/416/416011702/416011702_201512_990.pdf

Does anyone know if Mayo AZ and Mayo MN see secondary responses for the other school?

I don't want to seem disingenuous by making a case for wanting to live in AZ or MN and then having the other school read it and think "hold up wtf is this guy okay with living anywhere?!"

Does anyone know if Mayo AZ and Mayo MN see secondary responses for the other school?

I don't want to seem disingenuous by making a case for wanting to live in AZ or MN and then having the other school read it and think "hold up wtf is this guy okay with living anywhere?!"
I don't think they do, since they state that the admissions committees are completely independent from one another. But honestly, who knows? I'd just plead your case for both, they know that people are applying to a lot of schools and having to make serious arguments for each one.

I know I sound dumb posting this, but I am gonna post it anyway for people who might be in the same boat.
There are actually two separate PRIMARIES for Mayo. One for MN and one for AZ.
For some reason, I thought there was one primary and two secondaries, so I was confused when I only received secondary from MN.
I emailed AZ campus and they were nice enough to let me know that my AMCAS did not list AZ campus.
I would say check if you are like me.
RIP

Last edited:
It definitely felt weird writing a community health essay for this program when they have discussed making Medicaid patients second class citizens. Ah well, I'll sacrifice my morals for admission

I added this school this weekend with LM 75 and haven't heard anything from them...

It definitely felt weird writing a community health essay for this program when they have discussed making Medicaid patients second class citizens. Ah well, I'll sacrifice my morals for admission

Wow... thanks for pointing this out here. I just read more about this. I understand financial strain but isn't one of the principles in medicine justice? That everyone should be treated fairly and equally, and, as such, should have equal access to care?

This kind of policy seems pretty blatantly antithetical to the mission of Mayo, "to put the patient first." I am surprised to learn about this.

Wow... thanks for pointing this out here. I just read more about this. I understand financial strain but isn't one of the principles in medicine justice? That everyone should be treated fairly and equally, and, as such, should have equal access to care?

This kind of policy seems pretty blatantly antithetical to the mission of Mayo, "to put the patient first." I am surprised to learn about this.
^^References?

I know I sound dumb posting this, but I am gonna post it anyway for people who might be in the same boat.
There are actually two separate PRIMARIES for Mayo. One for MN and one for AZ.
For some reason, I thought there was one primary and two secondaries, so I was confused when I only received secondary from MN.
I emailed AZ campus and they were nice enough to let me know that my AMCAS did not list AZ campus.
I would say check if you are like me.
RIP
Don't feel dumb. I had the same realization a week ago when I started reading through all the posts on here.

So here's a really specific question...anyone out there receive a secondary with either
a)multiple MCATS
or more importantly for my situation
b) multiple MCATS with one that falls below their cutoff and one that is well above it?

I've been verified since day 1 with my letters of rec in and have gotten nothing from either Mayo...I'm wondering if my multiple MCATs are confusing their screening algorithm or when I need to email them...

Mayo to give preference to privately insured patients over Medicaid patients

I did some poking around and found this. I'm really shocked to read it. As the article mentions, it's not as if it's surprising that this happens (doctors choosing patients with private insurance over patients with Medicaid, I mean), but it is surprising and disappointing that this would be a deliberately articulated, institution-wide policy. I guess it's "the needs of the patient come first, especially if that patient can pay us more".

So here's a really specific question...anyone out there receive a secondary with either
a)multiple MCATS
or more importantly for my situation
b) multiple MCATS with one that falls below their cutoff and one that is well above it?

I've been verified since day 1 with my letters of rec in and have gotten nothing from either Mayo...I'm wondering if my multiple MCATs are confusing their screening algorithm or when I need to email them...
Got a secondary with multiple MCAT scores. Not sure what the cutoff is though

Googling 'Mayo Medicaid' yielded quite a bit. I understand where they're coming from, but from a moral lens its difficult not to be a little disappointed... Here is one perspective:

Cherry-picking patients? Mayo Clinic aims to 'prioritize' privately insured

I feel ya. I too hold the Mayo Clinic to a higher standard than other hospital groups (profit or non-profit), but at the end of the day if the numbers don't add up, then the doors have to be closed. The real difference that Dr. Noseworthy was focusing on is that commercial insurance pays more per procedure and what not than Medicaid or Medicare do. He stated that if presented with two patients who have identical conditions (or as close as they can be) and both are covered by insurance then favor commercial insurance. That way Mayo can take in the additional cash, while in theory the governmentally insured patient will still receive treatment, just not at Mayo. It is disgusting that money enters this conversation in anyway, but it is none the less a reality that all hospitals must accept.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I would have not known about this otherwise.

Mayo CEO regrets word choice about Medicaid policy

Mayo to give preference to privately insured patients over Medicaid patients

I did some poking around and found this. I'm really shocked to read it. As the article mentions, it's not as if it's surprising that this happens (doctors choosing patients with private insurance over patients with Medicaid, I mean), but it is surprising and disappointing that this would be a deliberately articulated, institution-wide policy. I guess it's "the needs of the patient come first, especially if that patient can pay us more".

Like I said, I don't believe the intent here was to put the needs of patients secondary to finances. I think the idea here is we can treat only 90 of 100 patients with identical conditions, 80 have insurance, 20 don't. The 20 uninsured are granted priority and treatment is covered by the Mayo Clinic's charity healthcare program. Of the remaining 80 insured patients only 70 can be treated and 30 of the 80 have commercial insurance. They prioritize the 30 commercially insured to receive greater compensation in order to offset the direct costs of the 20 uninsured. If they didn't do this, they would be unable to sustain the robust charity healthcare programs that they do.

Reactions: 1 users
Like I said, I don't believe the intent here was to put the needs of patients secondary to finances. I think the idea here is we can treat only 90 of 100 patients with identical conditions, 80 have insurance, 20 don't. The 20 uninsured are granted priority and treatment is covered by the Mayo Clinic's charity healthcare program. Of the remaining 80 insured patients only 70 can be treated and 30 of the 80 have commercial insurance. They prioritize the 30 commercially insured to receive greater compensation in order to offset the direct costs of the 20 uninsured. If they didn't do this, they would be unable to sustain the robust charity healthcare programs that they do.

Regardless of the intent, Medicaid patients are second class citizens at Mayo. Its difficult to be a community health oriented applicant who advocates for expanded access to care when the institution makes these changes.

I don't disagree at all that it's practical, and that it may even be necessary (I obviously don't know the details of their budget etc etc). But I do think from an ethical standpoint it's disappointing that someone who relies on Medicaid wouldn't be given the same chance to get care as someone who has private insurance. It is a huge problem today for people with Medicare/Medicaid that despite ostensibly having insurance, they struggle to get the same quality of care as those more fortunate than them. Again, this is an issue that goes beyond just Mayo, but I still find it disheartening.

Reactions: 2 users

I definitely understand, and I still believe Mayo is an amazing institution dedicated to doing the best they can for patients. That said, I think it is a shame that those are already disadvantaged are the ones hurt most by this.

Regardless of the intent, Medicaid patients are second class citizens at Mayo. Its difficult to be a community health oriented applicant who advocates for expanded access to care when the institution makes these changes.
You seem to be rather brash in many of your posts; you should know that the medical field is complex, and there are economical, ethical, moral, cultural, and many other variables at play here. Not everything is black and white, and your positively-sure statement that "Medicaid patients are second class citizens at Mayo" is simply not true. 50% of their patients are medicaid/medicare. There are costs that they need to cover, or else they would not be able to do all their charity work. Need is still the number one consideration when seeing patients at Mayo. I understand your criticism, but you should also understand the complexity of healthcare—especially at an institution such as Mayo.

Reactions: 4 users
No offense, but I've only ever seen you complain about things you don't like about Mayo, so I'm curious why you are applying to the school?

You seem to be rather brash in many of your posts; you should know that the medical field is complex, and there are economical, ethical, moral, cultural, and many other variables at play here. Not everything is black and white, and your positively-sure statement that "Medicaid patients are second class citizens at Mayo" is simply not true. 50% of their patients are medicaid/medicare. There are costs that they need to cover, or else they would not be able to do all their charity work. Need is still the number one consideration when seeing patients at Mayo. I understand your criticism, but you should also understand the complexity of healthcare—especially at an institution such as Mayo.

And the natural respond would be, how is it that all the other "elite" institutions in this country can serve their neediest patients without resorting to what Mayo has done? I don't buy that they need the money, because they have just committed to a multi billion dollar joint project with the City of Rochester's assistance.

No offense, but I've only ever seen you complain about things you don't like about Mayo, so I'm curious why you are applying to the school?

I am applying to Mayo because it is a fantastic program. My #1 choice actually. My criticisms have been 100% fair at this point.

And the natural respond would be, how is it that all the other "elite" institutions in this country can serve their neediest patients without resorting to what Mayo has done? I don't buy that they need the money, because they have just committed to a multi billion dollar joint project with the City of Rochester's assistance.
I am applying to Mayo because it is a fantastic program. My #1 choice actually. My criticisms have been 100% fair at this point.
Oh, and I assume you've done some investigations into each and every "elite" institutions' (whatever you mean by elite) economic policies and practices? You criticisms have been "fair" at best, brash and myopic at worst. You are not the CEO of Mayo; you have not in any way, to my knowledge, participated in any financial decision making processes for non-profit organizations of any scale, let alone the Mayo Clinic. Please, as the wise Kung Fu Kenny once said: "sit down, be humble."

Oh, and I assume you've done some investigations into each and every "elite" institutions' (whatever you mean by elite) economic policies and practices? You criticisms have been "fair" at best, brash and myopic at worst. You are not the CEO of Mayo; you have not in any way, to my knowledge, participated in any financial decision making processes for non-profit organizations of any scale, let alone the Mayo Clinic. Please, as the wise Kung Fu Kenny once said: "sit down, be humble."

Sure I haven't looked at their books, very perceptive of you. But the fact remains that Mayo's business practices are not community health oriented, whether by choice or by financial requirement.

Mayo Clinic will prioritize private insurance patients over Medicare, Medicaid

Sure I haven't looked at their books, very perceptive of you. But the fact remains that Mayo's business practices are not community health oriented, whether by choice or by financial requirement.

Again, I hear and echo many of the same concerns that you have pointed out. But let me ask this. What would you have them do? What do you imagine being the right answer for a scenario as I described in my previous post of 100 identical patients? Do you know of any institution that has been able to implement similar measures that you describe as being an alternative to the Mayo's?

My questions are serious and not meant to be argumentative. I simply would like to know what you think.

Oh and here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's 2013, 2014, and 2015 tax filings. In which you can see exactly how much they report spending on Medicaid and Medicare patients as well as expenses covered for uninsured patients.

Form 990, 990 Tax Forms | Foundation Center

Last edited:

I've read now six articles on this that are more or less the same. Trust me, I get it, but it still stands that this is a multifaceted issue—whether you want to "buy" it or not. And again, you so-readily and with so much confidence state the unwavering "fact" that "Mayo's business practices are not community health oriented," on which you base solely on this recent revelation. Your conclusions are shaky at best. Your unwillingness to see that this is in response to a wider context in which healthcare is teetering on the brink of disaster in virtue of the Trump Team's efforts and, more systematically, the rampant healthcare policy issues the US already has, doesn't help your case either.

I don't have confidence in an anonymous pre-medical student's conclusions as far as far-reaching economic policy decisions are concerned. We can armchair debate as much as you'd like. However, I do have confidence in the people running the Mayo Clinic, as they have a track-record of fulfilling their mission; this is but one blimp on the radar. I think hyper-focusing on this would be to miss the larger issue at hand.

I have been reading through your back and forth and would just add this - I am equally shocked about the Medicaid thing, and it does take a little bit of shine off Mayo in my eyes. But honestly, the CEO was just being straightforward about something a lot of hospital systems do. If you read the article, it mentioned that their unreimbursed costs grew by 70% in four years. That is unsustainable for any organization. If they are going to maintain their large charity care, as begood95 said it is only reasonable that they get more people that actually pay full costs. Medicaid patients still make up more than 50% of the total patients they see, but no large hospital system can survive on mainly medicaid/medicare patients.

Reactions: 7 users
I have been reading through your back and forth and would just add this - I am equally shocked about the Medicaid thing, and it does take a little bit of shine off Mayo in my eyes. But honestly, the CEO was just being straightforward about something a lot of hospital systems do. If you read the article, it mentioned that their unreimbursed costs grew by 70% in four years. That is unsustainable for any organization. If they are going to maintain their large charity care, as begood95 said it is only reasonable that they get more people that actually pay full costs. Medicaid patients still make up more than 50% of the total patients they see, but no large hospital system can survive on mainly medicaid/medicare patients.

Well said.