2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received and submitted my secondary for the MSTP!

By the way, what criteria do they use to prescreen for secondaries?

None this year aside from a very low mcat cutoff, everyone got a secondary!

Members don't see this ad.

are you sure? one of the directors for the MSTP told me that they did prescreen for GPA and MCAT to make sure they are competitive for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure? one of the directors for the MSTP told me that they did prescreen for GPA and MCAT to make sure they are competitive for admission.
Read the previous page in this thread

Did anyone use the same essay responses for the AZ campus with small changes here and there?

But I literally asked the director and he said they did prescreen based on GPA and MCAT. Maybe that's the case for MD/PhD applicants..

Well yea...they might prescreen for GPA and MCAT...but so does every single program in this country. Mayo used to screen holistically. Now they do not. That is the change this year.

Here was my response from Mayo when I emailed them

"Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. MCSOM added a secondary application this year for all applicants who have met our first screening criteria which is based off of your MCAT score."

Well yea...they might prescreen for GPA and MCAT...but so does every single program in this country. Mayo used to screen holistically. Now they do not. That is the change this year.

"Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. MCSOM added a secondary application this year for all applicants who have met our first screening criteria which is based off of your MCAT score."
this is not true, many schools send secondaries to every applicant - in fact, most that I've seen don't screen at all

Reactions: 1 user

Mayo MSTP might run different than the regular MD. Do they screen based off of the total MCAT score or do they also look at the sub-section as well?

this is not true, many schools send secondaries to every applicant - in fact, most that I've seen don't screen at all

Anyone with common sense doesn't claim that Emory "screens" because they don't send a secondary to people with less than a 492 or below a 123 section score.

Anyone with common sense doesn't claim that Emory "screens" because they don't send a secondary to people with less than a 492 or below a 123 section score.
C'mon. That's only one school that you have quoted... And also, they screen for 500, not 492.

C'mon. That's only one school that you have quoted... And also, they screen for 500, not 492.

Either way. The "screen" is nothing like whats going on at UCSF for instance.

Members don't see this ad :)
see wording from mayo secondary: "Organic Chemistry with Lab (total 8 credits/2 semesters/1 year)"

does mayo require a semester of orgo 1 and a semester of orgo 2 with labs to go along with both? OR is it that they require EITHER 8 credits OR 2 semesters OR 1 year of orgo/orgo lab?

aka, am I ok with only orgo 1 and orgo lab?

I have still not received a secondary. Anyone else in the same boat? I have a LizzyM score of 72, and I feel that I likely made the stats cutoff for a secondary

I have still not received a secondary. Anyone else in the same boat? I have a LizzyM score of 72, and I feel that I likely made the stats cutoff for a secondary
Same boat LizzyM 75 verified early June and also no secondary...

This is why I am kind of confused about this minimum MCAT screen.
I have lower LizzyM than you guys, but I received secondary for the MN campus yesterday.
No secondary from AZ campus yet though.
If they are just using a computer to screen for minimum MCAT, I feel like the process should be quick and everyone should have their secondaries by now.
There may be admission officers reviewing apps for certain stuff which is taking more time.

This is why I am kind of confused about this minimum MCAT screen.
I have lower LizzyM than you guys, but I received secondary for the MN campus yesterday.
No secondary from AZ campus yet though.
If they are just using a computer to screen for minimum MCAT, I feel like the process should be quick and everyone should have their secondaries by now.
There may be admission officers reviewing apps for certain stuff which is taking more time.

I received one from the AZ campus first, then waited for DAYS before I got the MN one. And I had applied to the MN campus literally two weeks before. So who knows what's going on there!!

It might be possible that they might just not send secondaries to those with high stats since they know that those applicants would get in and go somewhere else that is top 10/20 rather than Mayo.. ex) only those with 3.5<x<4.0 and 505<x<518

It might be possible that they might just not send secondaries to those with high stats since they know that those applicants would get in and go somewhere else that is top 10/20 rather than Mayo.. ex) only those with 3.5<x<4.0 and 505<x<518
lol. this would make sense for another school. Definitely not Mayo. They are very competitive with other top 10 schools. I believe they only offer an average 81 admissions for 51 spots. Most people that get in here turn down equally good schools

Reactions: 1 users
I'm outside those stats and got a secondary. I think the order of sending them out isn't meant to indicate preference.

On the secondary, is anyone having trouble deciding between designating "First Choice" or "Second Choice" for the Florida FOCUS 2+2 Track? I'm a Floridian, but ultimately I am fine with attending either program. I feel as though I can't find enough information about the 2+2 program and its benefits to feel confident listing it as "First Choice," although it says "Applicants who select the Only or First Choice options above will receive priority consideration for the MN/FL 2+2 Program." I don't know if this would hurt my chances for also being considered for the traditional MN program in the event that I wasn't chosen for 2+2.

Does anybody (or Mayo med students in the know) have any additional info that would be helpful?

Not sure if this is serious or if you are thinking of another school but the majority of people at Mayo turn down top 10 schools to be here.

Reactions: 2 users
its a joke: In the space below, write a brief paragraph explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program. (Limited to 500 characters.)

Beautiful!

Hi guys, I emailed the admissions and here is the response:

"Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. Currently we are looking at applicants with an overall MCAT score within the 75th percentile. This is the same for both the MN and AZ campuses. This can change from year to year based on the applications that we received in the last application cycle."

So there is a pre-screen. I am not within that range. Unwatching this thread. Good luck to all!

Hi guys, I emailed the admissions and here is the response:

"Thank you for your interest in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. Currently we are looking at applicants with an overall MCAT score within the 75th percentile. This is the same for both the MN and AZ campuses. This can change from year to year based on the applications that we received in the last application cycle."

So there is a pre-screen. I am not within that range. Unwatching this thread. Good luck to all!
So I was right in that they screen out those with high, high MCAT.

So I was right in that they screen out those with high, high MCAT.
If you look on their site, average MCAT is 90th percentile. I believe "within the 75th percentile" refers to anyone 75th or above.

I was wondering then why some people with high MCAT still did not get their secondareis?
I think they're just still going out in no particular order. I doubt they prioritize sending secondaries to people with high MCATs because everyone who passes the screen will get one.

Same here.. got a secondary last week with MCAT > 520

see wording from mayo secondary: "Organic Chemistry with Lab (total 8 credits/2 semesters/1 year)"

does mayo require a semester of orgo 1 and a semester of orgo 2 with labs to go along with both? OR is it that they require EITHER 8 credits OR 2 semesters OR 1 year of orgo/orgo lab?

aka, am I ok with only orgo 1 and orgo lab?
my impression is that you need orgo 1 AND 2 (lab AND lecture).

They may be utilizing a separate "screening" for prioritizing secondaries in order to build a desired class composition. Such as first generation college students, military veterans, nurses, dance majors, people born in the Louisiana bayou, or those whose summed numbers of their birth date results in a prime number.

Reactions: 7 users
They may be utilizing a separate "screening" for prioritizing secondaries in order to build a desired class composition. Such as first generation college students, military veterans, nurses, dance majors, people born in the Louisiana bayou, or those whose summed numbers of their birth date results in a prime number.

And super bowp mvps, dont forget that group, extremely necessary for student diversity

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else gotten a secondary from only one of the two campuses? I still haven't received the AZ one

Has anyone else gotten a secondary from only one of the two campuses? I still haven't received the AZ one
I don't think it's uncommon to receive the two secondaries at different times. I myself received the az mayo secondary last week but didn't get the mn mayo secondary until a few days ago.

Secondary for mstp only submitted.
I read the discussion about whether the elimination of the screen was advantageous or not with a lot of interest. Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to probably even meeting some of you along the interview trail :)

I know that I only recently started posting, but I've been following SDN for a couple years and utilizing the information that this forum makes available. But I'm curious as to just how many of us that track SDN or who have been posting on it for years make up each incoming class. In other words, are we a self selected group of higher motivated and committed individuals that are over represented for the purposes of acceptance? Or do the individuals on, what say this Mayo Clinic page, have typical acceptance rates.

Any thoughts?

Again, probably foolish to apply with a 124 CARS to here and the AZ campus, but shooters shoot @ThreatLevelMidnight. Added to my school list today!

Reactions: 2 users
M1 here who just matriculated to the MN campus (we started last Monday). You are not going to be screened out for having a high MCAT score. If you don't meet a certain MCAT floor (i.e. Your MCAT is too low) you will be screened out. Simple cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

M1 here who just matriculated to the MN campus (we started last Monday). You are not going to be screened out for having a high MCAT score. If you don't meet a certain MCAT floor (i.e. Your MCAT is too low) you will be screened out. Simple cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
would you be willing to take a look at my secondary, trying to submit in the next two days

Just curious, can you share more about what your stats were and EC's? Really want to go here! Applied to AZ as well.

Has anyone been rejected pre-secondary from this school yet?

Has anyone been rejected pre-secondary from this school yet?

I will update this post if I receive a secondary invite, but currently I only have a secondary from MN campus. Since I have been verified mid-June, I am starting to think I have been screened from the AZ campus. :(