2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got the secondary :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary!!!

I transmitted July 1, no letters yet (next week I'm praying)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So is Mayo still doing a pre-screen or is everyone getting a secondary this year since there are essays and a real app this year rather than just a fee request?
Wondering how much I should be getting my hopes up about having received one :p

So is Mayo still doing a pre-screen or is everyone getting a secondary this year since there are essays and a real app this year rather than just a fee request?
Wondering how much I should be getting my hopes up about having received one :p

Looks like there's still a screen: " Students selected for secondary review will be required to pay a $120 processing fee by Nov. 15, unless granted a fee waiver by AMCAS."-- Application Review Process - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic

Still haven't heard from Mayo - anybody know the criteria they use to screen? I think my stats are good

Still haven't heard from Mayo - anybody know the criteria they use to screen? I think my stats are good
If you think your stats are good, you'll probably get one tomorrow. Inwas wondering why i hadn't gotten one until this afternoon. They're just sending them in batches

Members don't see this ad :)
So lonely...

Reactions: 1 users
Also just received secondary!

Secondary received!

GOT IT :DDDD

I also got a secondary. Does anyone know the stats for secondaries last year? I hope they still screen, although things have changed now that they have an essay attached.

OMG!!!! Didn't know whether I was going to pass the pre-screen. OOS.

does anyone know if Mayo is LGBT friendly or focuses on providing care for underserved patient populations? Most of the stuff i've been reading about Mayo seems to be about their research opportunities and integrated curriculum

Do you guys think that Mayo is still screening despite the changes made to the secondary this year?

Do you guys think that Mayo is still screening despite the changes made to the secondary this year?
MSAR says they are

Secondary application sent to:
Applicants who pass the initial application review will receive a secondary request. Each campus has a separate review process and separate secondary fee.

I got received a secondary from Minnesota campus today.

someone on reddit said they emailed admissions to ask about how secondaries are being screened this year

@Lucca

EDIT: MY BAD THEY ARE ALREADY ON THE THREAD.

SHORT ANSWER: Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the MN/FL 2+2 Program (50 words or less. Please leave blank if you DO NOT wish to be considered for this program.)

ESSAYS: Submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each)
Please tell us why you are specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine – MN even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

Please tell us how you would contribute to the diversity of your medical school class at Mayo?

Whoever wrote these forgot that question marks don't go at the end of statements.

Please tell us why you are specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine – MN even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?

Please tell us how you would contribute to the diversity of your medical school class at Mayo?

Whoever wrote these forgot that question marks don't go at the end of statements.
I'm Ron Burgundy?

Last edited:
Is everyone using the same essays for both Mayo's?

Does anyone know how strict is Mayo's screen? Do they have a min GPA/MCAT cutoff or is their screen more holistic? I just want to see whether I should consider this school when I receive my MCAT score in August. Thanks

Does anyone know how strict is Mayo's screen? Do they have a min GPA/MCAT cutoff or is their screen more holistic? I just want to see whether I should consider this school when I receive my MCAT score in August. Thanks

Based on last year's thread, it appeared that there were some people with high LizzyM scores (80+) who didn't receive secondaries and lower scores (<70) who did. They are holistic.

does anyone know if Mayo is LGBT friendly or focuses on providing care for underserved patient populations? Most of the stuff i've been reading about Mayo seems to be about their research opportunities and integrated curriculum

Take this how you may, but I had a friend who recently finished his residency at the Jacksonville campus and his primary complaint was that they only accept patients with healthcare. He was mainly concerned about the clinical trials, and I'm not sure how it works in MN. I'll see if I can find out.

I have been a patient there and have nothing but wonderful things to say about patient care and the hospital in general.

Curious if they are actually screening at all this year.

Has anyone received a secondary without any letters submitted? One of my writers has been holding me up and I haven't been able to have my committee letter submitted yet. Likewise, have any MD-PhD applicants received a secondary? Mayo is amazing and I'm hoping to get some love!

Has anyone received a secondary without any letters submitted? One of my writers has been holding me up and I haven't been able to have my committee letter submitted yet. Likewise, have any MD-PhD applicants received a secondary? Mayo is amazing and I'm hoping to get some love!

I have received secondaries for both the MN and AZ campus - same situation as you with one letter writer holding me up so I can't get my packet done (frustrating, right???). I did not apply MD-PhD and I have heard that some MD-PhD programs take longer to send secondaries, but can't guarantee it. I can say that I received them on different days and I think the MN one just came in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@DBC03 Thanks for replying! Hopefully I'll see something in my inbox soon. I think the MD-PhD secondaries often come from a different committee, plus they have two extra primary essays to read through for the screen. It's good to know that I don't have to worry so much about my packet though. I think this letter will be worth it but I've been waiting for it since March!

Just received word from the Mayo email. They claim they are only screening based off a preset MCAT cutoff (which basically means they aren't screening).

Looks like we are applying to Mayo just like any other program this year...

Reactions: 3 users
Just received word from the Mayo email. They claim they are only screening based off a preset MCAT cutoff (which basically means they aren't screening).

Looks like we are applying to Mayo just like any other program this year...

Bummer. Especially as the MCAT cutoff is not something I'm concerned about...

Is Mayo anyone's actual 1st choice? I don't want to set my heart on any one school but if I had to choose it would be Mayo or UCSF..

Last edited:
Is Mayo anyone's actual 1st choice? I don't want to set my heart on anyone school but if I had to choose it would be Mayo or UCSF..
The AZ campus is definitely my top choice. The MN campus is my top choice outside of AZ.

Is Mayo anyone's actual 1st choice? I don't want to set my heart on anyone school but if I had to choose it would be Mayo or UCSF..

My top two (pretty much a tie) are Mayo and Duke. I've been a patient at Mayo for a while and I have had only excellent experiences there.

My top two (pretty much a tie) are Mayo and Duke. I've been a patient at Mayo for a while and I have had only excellent experiences there.
dude, me too no joke hahaha

Is Mayo anyone's actual 1st choice? I don't want to set my heart on any one school but if I had to choose it would be Mayo or UCSF..

Definitely my number 1!!!

Hope we all get to be classmates!! #wholesomethoughts

Reactions: 3 users