2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*points to head*
You can't get rejected if you never submit your secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
They sure put a lot of people on hold.

You forget the sdn sample size is unique which explains the disproportionate amount of IIs reported here. Most of the gunners on here (and don't say we aren't) are the kind of people that would be placed on hold if not given IIs

Members don't see this ad :)
You forget the sdn sample size is unique which explains the disproportionate amount of IIs reported here. Most of the gunners on here (and don't say we aren't) are the kind of people that would be placed on hold if not given IIs

Eh, SDN accounts for 5% of the reported IIs. For every II here you can expect 10 others that aren't being reported.

Eh, SDN accounts for 5% of the reported IIs. For every II here you can expect 10 others that aren't being reported.

Don't know about that especially for a school like Mayo.

Last year's thread shows 13 reported MN and 19 reported AZ acceptances + a whole lot of WL. I'd say successfully Mayo applicants are overrepresented on SDN compared to other institutions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Complete from mid-July, and my app status is still "complete". Still silence from Mayo...don't know what to take from that....

Reactions: 2 users
Don't know about that especially for a school like Mayo.

Last year's thread shows 13 reported MN and 19 reported AZ acceptances + a whole lot of WL. I'd say successfully Mayo applicants are overrepresented on SDN compared to other institutions

those are acceptances not IIs. But regardless, 13 acceptances is what, 1/3 - 1/4?

Rejected 30 min ago by email. App complete 8/17, but received on 7/31. I think the 18 day turnaround reflected poorly on me! 3.95/526, ORM, OOS.
Uhh we have very similar stats and I took like three weeks for turnaround :/ still in silence squad but kinda nervous

Uhh we have very similar stats and I took like three weeks for turnaround :/ still in silence squad but kinda nervous
Maybe they just didn't think that candidate was a good fit....those are obviously extremely impressive stats, but I doubt being 4 days late on the suggested 2 week turnaround is the single reason he/she was rejected...EC's play a huge role in terms of fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they just didn't think that candidate was a good fit....those are obviously extremely impressive stats, but I doubt being 4 days late on the suggested 2 week turnaround is the single reason he/she was rejected...EC's play a huge role in terms of fit.
That's true!! I'm going to be like you and stayhopeful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it looks like the chaos of the day is over. Congratulations to everybody who got II's today. for those of you that got put on hold, there is still hope at Mayo. For all of us that still haven't heard anything... I just went back and checked the previous days they sent II's out (8/14 & 8/22), and other than a couple people reporting being put on hold on 8/23 it doesn't look as though tomorrow will be all that exciting on the Mayo thread. Here's to another week or two of narcotically checking our emails...FML

Yeah, it appears that they have sent out pre-screened rejections. However, as far as I saw, it was not until today that somebody on this SDN thread reported an out right rejection after submitting a secondary.

Actually amazed I haven't heard either direction yet lol. 7/10ish completion. I don't mean I'm expecting an invitation but just that the turnaround got me on edge. Lol.

I was put on hold yesterday too. At both campuses. Within 10 minutes of each other. And it was the same hold message. Just with a different person signing it. I found that interesting, had to double check that one said AZ and the other said MN. I filled the secondaries out about a week apart, too. (I've heard their admissions committees don't have anything to do with one another, which is why I was like.... :eyebrow: )

I was put on hold yesterday too. At both campuses. Within 10 minutes of each other. And it was the same hold message. Just with a different person signing it. I found that interesting, had to double check that one said AZ and the other said MN. I filled the secondaries out about a week apart, too. (I've heard their admissions committees don't have anything to do with one another, which is why I was like.... :eyebrow: )
Yeah, I definitley feel they coordinate it to some extent.

So does anyone know anymore about hold? Has anyone heard of people getting an interview after hold status? Seems like the chances are so slim even after an interview it's hard to see the positives of the hold...was going to go reread the old Mayo thread but it's 63 pages long...

So does anyone know anymore about hold? Has anyone heard of people getting an interview after hold status? Seems like the chances are so slim even after an interview it's hard to see the positives of the hold...was going to go reread the old Mayo thread but it's 63 pages long...
Some make it out of hold and into II

lovin how some sdn threads are only on page 3 while mayo sdn is on page 14... haha wishing us the best of luck!!

Last edited:
Has anyone who designated FL as their first choice heard back?

I wonder if we're being considered last. Or maybe they're more concerned in FL with the hurricane.

I wonder if we're being considered last. Or maybe they're more concerned in FL with the hurricane.

I'm thinking that program is reviewed at a different pace. Hoping it doesn't hurt us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Complete 7/16 and still silence... You guys have me more paranoid than ever now lol.

Complete 7/16 and still silence... You guys have me more paranoid than ever now lol.
I've been complete since 7/14 and haven't heard anything either. I dont have a fantastic MCAT score either (509) but im choosing to stay positive. They must have seen something in my application that at least looks somewhat interesting because i havent been placed on hold or rejected.

Complete mid-August and still nothing for me too. With so many rejections, esp. for people complete after me (and better LM than me??), I'm guessing that's at least not a bad sign. Remaining hopeful.

Complete mid-August and still nothing for me too. With so many rejections, esp. for people complete after me (and better LM than me??), I'm guessing that's at least not a bad sign. Remaining hopeful.
That's how I'm looking at it as well.

What would you say is the lowest possible stats that a URM should apply to Mayo with? Given that EC's are great and research is decent. Thanks!
Hi,

For the maxiumum number of recommenders, is there a rule about picking some for nonscience, some for science? I am applying to MSTP.

Hi,

For the maxiumum number of recommenders, is there a rule about picking some for nonscience, some for science? I am applying to MSTP.
Better to direct this question to that program's office

Has anyone heard back from Fl 2+2?

I think other people on this thread were asking the same thing a while back and I don't think they have heard anything just quite yet.

I applied that route and have not heard back yet.

Have any other members of the silence squad heard anything else yet??

Nada. I don't know if the Jacksonville office has anything to do with the 2 + 2 program, but Jacksonville is not doing so well right now, so I imagine that may delay things for those of us who applied that way.

does anyone know if Mayo is LGBT friendly or focuses on providing care for underserved patient populations? Most of the stuff i've been reading about Mayo seems to be about their research opportunities and integrated curriculum

Mayo students are incredibly LGBT friendly. Mayo is getting increasingly LGBT friendly, and you can see this by their increasing public presence as teaching physicians cultural competency in these realms. To that end, our restrooms are unisex. We've had some of our first gender confirmation surgeries here in the past year, and also recently started the Transgender and Intersex Clinic both for patients and to help other providers offer better, complete, and compassionate care to the LGBT community. In terms of under-served populations, there's a wide mix, but pretty different from other institutions. There is a significant immigrant, refugee, and international population, so students are trained in cultural competency. As far as historically under-served populations, we get all those patients from anywhere (regardless of presence of insurance, etc.) that. I can confidently say that no institution treats differently abled patients or employees better than Mayo. That is part of the reason that I chose to come here. There were patients from my home, who had absolutely nothing (in terms of economic means, insurance, education, etc.). Their condition boggled the mind of our physician vs and institutions, and unfortunately that often lends itself to subpar care. Mayo happily agreed to help them, and they visited Minnesota. When they returned, and I asked them where they would like their follow-up appointments, they both stated that "I want to go back to Mayo. They treated me like a king". Additionally, our Arizona and Florida campuses work with a variety of historically under-served patient populations, and many students end up speaking to their patients in Spanish, nearby American Indian reservations, rural populations, etc. Try googling "Transgender and Intersex Clinic", Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and the numerous outreach programs.

Reactions: 1 users
On the secondary, is anyone having trouble deciding between designating "First Choice" or "Second Choice" for the Florida FOCUS 2+2 Track? I'm a Floridian, but ultimately I am fine with attending either program. I feel as though I can't find enough information about the 2+2 program and its benefits to feel confident listing it as "First Choice," although it says "Applicants who select the Only or First Choice options above will receive priority consideration for the MN/FL 2+2 Program." I don't know if this would hurt my chances for also being considered for the traditional MN program in the event that I wasn't chosen for 2+2.

Does anybody (or Mayo med students in the know) have any additional info that would be helpful?
Answer it from your heart! If you got into both programs, which one would you attend? Is the location of Florida and the incredible offerings particularly in neurology, neurosurgery, oncology, and aerospace attractive to you.? Do the opportunities there to work with Spanish-speaking under-served populations get you going? Or do you want to work with Somalian refugees? Do you want to study on a beach? Do you want to study by a lake. Cuban food vs. Norwegian/Scandinavian food. Twin Cities vs. Miami. Sorry for the vague answer. But in essence, it doesn't hurt your chances for being considered for the traditional MN program.

Edit: Okay I'm 99% sure it's part of the standard curriculum at both campuses as it's mentioned on the Year 1 curriculum page.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Science of Health Care Delivery is integrated into the curriculum for Minnesota, Arizona, and Florida. All three campuses partner with ASU. Each campus has the same curriculum, and even some of the same visiting professors. It's just up to you to decide on the location and the feel of the program for you.

I don't think they do, since they state that the admissions committees are completely independent from one another. But honestly, who knows? I'd just plead your case for both, they know that people are applying to a lot of schools and having to make serious arguments for each one.
No they don't see the other campus's applications.

does anyone know if Mayo is LGBT friendly or focuses on providing care for underserved patient populations? Most of the stuff i've been reading about Mayo seems to be about their research opportunities and integrated curriculum

Mayo is VERY LGBT friendly. At least 6-7 (out of 50) of my classmates are openly LGBT and loved. We have "med families" consisting of upperclassmen and faculty mentors, and you can absolutely request LGBT medsibs/mentors if you'd like to have a bigger support circle. Mayo is full of love all around, though. In addition, the Clinic itself has gone out of its way to ensure a welcoming environment for its LGBT patients in extremely thoughtful ways (e.g unisex bathrooms, private wings available for transgender OB visits, etc)

In regards to underserved populations: While Mayo isn't the "safety net" type hospital you'll see in bigger cities, we serve much of the rural population surrounding Rochester MN, which tends to be underserved. Also, Mayo funds one trip per student per year to an underserved area for any educational activity of your choice (the only caveat is it can't be on the US travel watch list)

Please ask more about these things during interviews! I think you'll find this to be an amazing place to learn medicine--

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I had some unexpected circumstances that forced me to allocate money away from secondaries..should I email them to explain why I took 23 days to submit instead of 14? Thanks everyone