2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could be wrong but it doesn't look like anyone has heard back about the 2+2 track yet.

Members don't see this ad.

II!
OMG OMG OMG! I'M FREAKING OUT MAN! This is my dream school!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II!
OMG OMG OMG! I'M FREAKING OUT MAN! This is my dream school!
That's awesome. Now you guys got me freaking out with anticipation. Come on Mayo send me an II.

Reactions: 1 users
II WOW!!!! YESS How to ready for this tho...

That's awesome. Now you guys got me freaking out with anticipation. Come on Mayo send me an II.
I selected the 2+2 as my first choice but not my only choice. I applied through MN and AZ. Still waiting for an II.

Yay!! I know this meant a lot to you!!

Can you send me some of that energy as well? This is definitely one of my top choices and the wait is killing me...
Sending good vibes through the electrons right now... You should receive good news soon; you seem like a great applicant and future physician!

Did the email just now come in? When did you complete?

I'm anticipating word this cycle of emails.

When were you complete. Also what was your selection for the Florida track?
Looks like I was complete on July 14th! And, yes, the email just came in—at 11:04 AM to be exact:)

Reactions: 2 users
I selected the 2+2 as my first choice but not my only choice. I applied through MN and AZ. Still waiting for an II.

Me, too. I'll post if I hear anything - I'm not on hold and I haven't been extended an II, so I'm hoping that means they haven't gotten to me, yet. I do have a very low GPA, though, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up.

Me, too. I'll post if I hear anything - I'm not on hold and I haven't been extended an II, so I'm hoping that means they haven't gotten to me, yet. I do have a very low GPA, though, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up.
You seem like you are a great person and have an excellent MCAT, I'm sure you'll get an II.

Reactions: 1 user

We have similar stats minus the BCMP...yours is WAY higher. I know they'll be knocking on your door soon!

I just wanted to say. I've never been a neurotic premed, but this application cycle has made one of me. I stalk these forums like nobody's business, and aside from the Mayo threads, there's always hateful comments lurking on every school. You guys are the most positive bunch, and I can't tell you how much that calms me. I'm rooting for all of you!

Reactions: 11 users
I'm kinda in a similar spot. My GPA isn't super low. Above 3.0 overall and BCPM. My MCAT is pretty good and I have lots of other experience and good recs.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have similar stats minus the BCMP...yours is WAY higher. I know they'll be knocking on your door soon!
Thanks man, it's encouraging to hear that. It is so easy to feel like you are out of your league when looking at some of the stats are on SDN.

I just wanted to say. I've never been a neurotic premed, but this application cycle has made one of me. I stalk these forums like nobody's business, and aside from the Mayo threads, there's always hateful comments lurking on every school. You guys are the most positive bunch, and I can't tell you how much that calms me. I'm rooting for all of you!
Same here. I didn't really worry about my application until I got ready to submit it. Now I'm checking SDN and my email constantly for some clue as to how my application stands. Also yeah, there are some nasty people only looking out for themselves in the pre-med community. This thread is generally nothing but positive people wishing each other the best of luck, which makes me only that much more interested in Mayo.

Put on hold today. Complete around 7/14. Seems like they definitely care about more than stats. Save me, WashU.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a question about the review that was posted about Mayo from one of the link you provided. They say "Grading system is all pass/fail. There is no AOA or internal ranking. DO NOT underestimate the significance of these things (especially for people who are thinking about going into competitive fields)." So is this saying that not being able to get AOA would be a drawback and possibly put you at a disadvantage?
not an expert by any means, but Mayo's match list is consistently great....Some top schools do not have AOA or internal rankings...

Put on hold today. At this point getting a II from them would just be icing on the cake, I'm fine to wait!

I have a question about the review that was posted about Mayo from one of the link you provided. They say "Grading system is all pass/fail. There is no AOA or internal ranking. DO NOT underestimate the significance of these things (especially for people who are thinking about going into competitive fields)." So is this saying that not being able to get AOA would be a drawback and possibly put you at a disadvantage?
I don't think it's a disadvantage at Mayo, insofar as it's a highly respected medical school and institution. And like @stayhopeful1 said, their match list is very, very good—in fact I'm pretty sure they match at some of the highest rates in the US.

Actually, just looked it up. Literally 100% of their seniors matched in 2017. 100%. Here's the breakdown:
  • 25% surgical specialties (urology, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, orthopedics, general surgery, plastic surgery)
  • 12% psychiatry
  • 12% pediatrics
  • 10% internal medicine
  • 5% anesthesiology
  • 5% family medicine
  • 5% radiation oncology
  • 5% OB/GYN
  • 5% military match
  • 2.5% neurology
  • 2.5% radiology
So, I don't think a lack of AOA has hurt!

Source: National Resident Match Day 2017

On hold. First rejection it seems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do holds essentially equate to rejections here? Anyone come across any stats on how many people are put on hold and how many of those people are ultimately given IIs?

Rejected just now :( Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

Dear god, this has turned into a blood bath!!

Rejected just now :( Best of luck to everyone still in the running!
Full-blown rejection, or hold?

Either way, I'm sorry buddy -- stay strong, Mayo's a reach for everybody...

Full-blown rejection, or hold?

Either way, I'm sorry buddy -- stay strong, Mayo's a reach for everybody...

Full on rejection. They sent an e-mail saying they were unable to offer me an interview. The first rejection always hurts but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Wow, so there we have it, hold does not equal rejection.

Got put on hold this morning complete 8/10 it was preceded by an II at Mayo AZ though so I'm not too worried about it :) good luck to all!

I received an II for here today (!), LM ~76-77, and was placed on a hold for AZ (not great, but not the worst!) for the AZ campus. My app was complete in mid July.

Good luck to everyone else, and I am sorry to see some rejections filtering through as well :(. I hope and anticipate that y'all will find a lot of love from other places.

Got put on hold this morning complete 8/10 it was preceded by an II at Mayo AZ though so I'm not too worried about it :) good luck to all!
Hahaha we are the exact opposite! That is really interesting, for sure. Good luck on your interview in AZ, and I hope that you might find your way to Roch, too!

Rejected 30 min ago by email. App complete 8/17, but received on 7/31. I think the 18 day turnaround reflected poorly on me! 3.95/526, ORM, OOS.

Silence both campuses and complete 7/15. Y'all got me scared now D:

I'll be on a plane for the rest of the day and unable to check my email, so here's to hoping for good news later tonight!

Last edited:
For those with II, does your portal change? Like do you schedule your II through the portal?

Rejected 30 min ago by email. App complete 8/17, but received on 7/31. I think the 18 day turnaround reflected poorly on me! 3.95/526, ORM, OOS.

I've always wondered if turnover is important as some people say. I was exceptionally busy so many of mine are 15+ days as well. Oh well. Good luck with your application cycle, you've got great stats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They sure put a lot of people on hold.
They want their stash nice and fat when they go back to review for the last couple remaining positions :(

They want their stash nice and fat when they go back to review for the last couple remaining positions :(
I'm just imagining the cat in your avatar saying those exact words and it brings a smile to my face. Simply because of the cat, not message itself.

With many people posting about IIs, holds, and rejections, I am gonna be extremely nervous whenever I see an email notification on my phone for the next few days. Sending positive vibes to everybody :clap:

Complete 8/4 and haven't heard anything but crickets...... Hoping it's not a bad sign...

Complete 7/28 and also silence. :)

8/13 for me. I think silence is generally positive since it means that we haven't been ruled out right.

Hey Guys!
Just found this thread!
Mayo is also my number one choice and you guys all seem nice!

was complete on 8/1 and haven't heard anything will update everyone (keep your fingers crossed for me please)

Was immensely surprised to get an II this morning! Complete 7/26

Checked my email. "Mayo Clinic SOM - MN Campus: No Interview Offered"

This is the rejection email, right?

Congratulations to all those with IIs and On Hold!