2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should those of us with a high MCAT and low GPA be worried if we aren't hearing back from any schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you're non-traditional, I wouldn't worry at all. There are a few schools that prioritize GPA, but not many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Should those of us with a high MCAT and low GPA be worried if we aren't hearing back from any schools?

Not to mention that at this stage in the game worrying about that is unnecessarily stressful and counterproductive. I say this knowing full well that I check my own email dozens of times a day and stalk these forums for even the slightest hint of how my application will ultimately fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
If you're non-traditional, I wouldn't worry at all. There are a few schools that prioritize GPA, but not many.
I'm in that boat and this is my third year applying. I've only had 1 II after applying to over 30 schools and was WL last year. I'm non-trad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in that boat and this is my third year applying. I've only had 1 II after applying to over 30 schools and was WL last year. I'm non-trad.
Obviously depends on how bad the gpa is/how good the Mcat/are you also not a sociopath

Yeah I'm curious what you consider low?

3.4 - I suppose that might not be *that* low, but it is low for Mayo. And it's certainly below Median or Average for all medical schools.
>520 MCAT for MCAT/GPA dichotomy reference.

I wasn't worried until I realized some schools may be going through the higher MCATs and just sticking my application on the back burner already.

3.4 - I suppose that might not be *that* low, but it is low for Mayo. And it's certainly below Median or Average for all medical schools.

I wasn't worried until I realized some schools may be going through the higher MCATs and just sticking my application on the back burner already.
Very doubtful. A 520+ sticks out like a sore thumb.

Reactions: 1 user

Does your GPA show progression or is it consistent? From what I can tell, most schools value progression above sustained perfection. My early GPA is a solid 3, but since I've actually been invested in school, my cumulative has come up to a 3.5ish.

Yeah - I'm nervous about this right now. I'm not *that* nervous - I am already assuming I'll be reapplying next year (and doing additional course work, ECs, etc.), but if they are screening starting with High MCATs, I don't feel better.

Hell, I didn't see the >520 part. I agree with Jdav.

Does your GPA show progression or is it consistent? From what I can tell, most schools value progression above sustained perfection. My early GPA is a solid 3, but since I've actually been invested in school, my cumulative has come up to a 3.5ish.

It shows super progression. Started at 2.2, then I got a 3.58, 3.63, 3.85, 4.0. It's that freshman year that's killing me.

Ah, gotcha. I will say I was surprised at how low mayo's mean mcat was relative to other top schools, so maybe they pay more attention to other things. Good luck though and congrats on the awesome mcat!!

Hell, I didn't see the >520 part. I agree with Jdav.

Sorry - Just edited it for clarity! Yeah, I wasn't too worried. My biggest problem could be that my significant ECs are pretty old - I had to quit my favorite volunteer work during the recession. So I'm thinking that may hurt me at some schools. Again, I'm assuming I'll be a reapplicant (because I shouldn't just assume I'll get in) and doing what I can this year to make me a better applicant next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shows super progression. Started at 2.2, then I got a 3.58, 3.63, 3.85, 4.0. It's that freshman year that's killing me.

I'm in the same boat more or less, except I don't have as high an MCAT. I've got my own reservations about getting in this year, but I'm hopeful that the rest of my application says what my GPA doesn't.

Ah, gotcha. I will say I was surprised at how low mayo's mean mcat was relative to other top schools, so maybe they pay more attention to other things. Good luck though and congrats on the awesome mcat!!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well!

Maybe not progression ABOVE sustained perfection. Definitely progression over consistently average.

MSAR shows 5 out of 50 students are over 30 - that's 10% of the class, which is pretty significant.

When the class size is as small as it is, percentages can be deceiving. They could drop to 2 next year or bump up to 8 and it would appear they're making astronomical changes in their selection process when in reality it's just random variation.

When the class size is as small as it is, percentages can be deceiving. They could drop to 2 next year or bump up to 8 and it would appear they're making astronomical changes in their selection process when in reality it's just random variation.

Very true! The one thing it does show is that they don't dislike non-trads (I've heard interviews with other schools that say non-trads make them nervous). Five students is more than many other schools who have significantly larger classes. It would be helpful to see a trend of the data over a few years. I'll see if I can look at an older MSAR.

Very true! The one thing it does show is that they don't dislike non-trads (I've heard interviews with other schools that say non-trads make them nervous). Five students is more than many other schools who have significantly larger classes. It would be helpful to see a trend of the data over a few years. I'll see if I can look at an older MSAR.
Yup exactly. A big fat 0 for three years in a row might signify something :D

Maybe not progression ABOVE sustained perfection. Definitely progression over consistently average.

So the basis of that comment is from a table in the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam that shows the results of a survey sent to admissions committees regarding priorities for selection. Now I don't have the book in front of me which makes quoting it dubious at best, but the table breaks the information up by three levels of priority and public vs private. If I recall correctly, the progression of GPA is listed in the highest priority for public schools with cumulative being either middle to low priority, and private schools list progression as middle priority, but I forget how they look at cumulative. This is not to say that progression trumps a GPA in general, but it is viewed more highly. I have assumed that this has to do with growth, maturity, life experience, and avoiding applicants that have never experienced failure.

So the basis of that comment is from a table in the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam that shows the results of a survey sent to admissions committees regarding priorities for selection. Now I don't have the book in front of me which makes quoting it dubious at best, but the table breaks the information up by three levels of priority and public vs private. If I recall correctly, the progression of GPA is listed in the highest priority for public schools with cumulative being either middle to low priority, and private schools list progression as middle priority, but I forget how they look at cumulative. This is not to say that progression trumps a GPA in general, but it is viewed more highly. I have assumed that this has to do with growth, maturity, life experience, and avoiding applicants that have never experienced failure.
Yeah I know the table to which you're referring. Upward trend of GPA is to be given medium or low importance, according to the AAMC, when an admissions committee is holistically considering applications. If someone has a 3.5 GPA, then a strong upward trend would be an important factor to consider.

Yeah I know the table to which you're referring. Upward trend of GPA is to be given medium or low importance, according to the AAMC, when an admissions committee is holistically considering applications. If someone has a 3.5 GPA, then a strong upward trend would be an important factor to consider.
Yeah, I'll see if I can find the table when I get home later and post it.

Yup exactly. A big fat 0 for three years in a row might signify something :D

I think they really look for a breadth of experiences - but could be wrong. And isn't the data we see right now from the 2016 class? Not from the class that just started?

I think they really look for a breadth of experiences - but could be wrong. And isn't the data we see right now from the 2016 class? Not from the class that just started?
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. The only thing the data says is that the stats reflect 2016. What exactly that refers to...I don't know.

That's correct... but I wouldn't worry. You're a good applicant based on experiences/grades and shouldn't have a problem being accepted as long as you're a decent human being.

Reactions: 2 users
That's correct... but I wouldn't worry. You're a good applicant based on experiences/grades and shouldn't have a problem being accepted as long as you're a decent human being.
You had your chance to view my humor. That time has passed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
*Redacted Quote to Preserve Another's Anonymity*
That's a lot! You should prob redact if concerned about anonymity though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayo applicants: nicest people on the face of the planet.

Reactions: 5 users
Haha. I don't really care too much about anonymity. I don't say anything defamatory on here.
No worries! One thing I do is change my ECs and bio to something comparable to the truth without being the exact thing... that way anonymity can't be compromised.

No worries! One thing I do is change my ECs and bio to something comparable to the truth without being the exact thing... that way anonymity can't be compromised.
Yeah, I try to keep things vague enough that it's not obvious, but if an admissions committee were determined enough, I'm pretty sure they could figure it out. That is also why I don't write anything impulsive on here or that could be easily taken out of context. But I also deleted all my social media accounts and googled my own name to make sure there was nothing lurking in the inter-webs that could come back to haunt me...which there was. So I then figured out how to delete all the old stuff that I had put out there when I was 20 and thought it was cool.

Yeah, I try to keep things vague enough that it's not obvious, but if an admissions committee were determined enough, I'm pretty sure they could figure it out. That is also why I don't write anything impulsive on here or that could be easily taken out of context. But I also deleted all my social media accounts and googled my own name to make sure there was nothing lurking in the inter-webs that could come back to haunt me...which there was. So I then figured out how to delete all the old stuff that I had put out there when I was 20 and thought it was cool.
On that note... sometimes it's helpful to just get your name changed on stuff that is a bit embarrassing. I have friends applying for residency who have simply changed their name to "chocolate milk" to keep their online presence while staying discreet.

Any recent adds (within the past week) receive the secondary yet? Reapplicant here waiting for one. Received LOR request last cycle.

Receieved a secondary from both campuses today. Verified 8/25.

Hi all, I'm a current Mayo med student at the Rochester, MN campus. I have spent time at the AZ campus for selectives. I'm happy to answer any questions about my experiences at Mayo AZ or my experience as a Mayo med student in general (curriculum is exactly the same at both campuses), the application process, etc. Good luck to all applying!

I have a question about the review that was posted about Mayo from one of the link you provided. They say "Grading system is all pass/fail. There is no AOA or internal ranking. DO NOT underestimate the significance of these things (especially for people who are thinking about going into competitive fields)." So is this saying that not being able to get AOA would be a drawback and possibly put you at a disadvantage?

FRIENDS. II!!!!!!!!

Yay!! I know this meant a lot to you!!

Can you send me some of that energy as well? This is definitely one of my top choices and the wait is killing me...

Reactions: 3 users
Could be wrong but it doesn't look like anyone has heard back about the 2+2 track yet.